Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Agreed with you guys about how it reads, but it's also really loving funny to put that statement by Metzen side by side with torture lady's PR statement of "this big government regulation lawsuit to kill small businesses like activision blizzard is extremely fake news" and then "We failed, and I'm sorry". Which is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Metzen retired almost six years ago, there’s a gulf between a former figurehead saying we have to do better vs the direct actions of the company in response to this lawsuit in 2021.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

exquisite tea posted:

Metzen retired almost six years ago, there’s a gulf between a former figurehead saying we have to do better vs the direct actions of the company in response to this lawsuit in 2021.
And even the Metzen statement is trying to deflect the question of how much he was involved: "failed to listen" says nothing about how much he knew and how much he tried to cover it up. Same with Morhaime's statement.

The lovely part is that, regardless of their sincerity or lack thereof, they're not going to give the kind of full apology that starts with a recognition of what, exactly, they did and why it was wrong because it's a liability risk.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 25, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There's also this which they were telling as a "funny story" just a few years ago

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Maybe it came off better in person, or maybe I'm just not the right kind of person for it, but I think I'd find the person in that story completely insufferable. It's like a caricature of dude-bro culture. I could not fathom trying to talk with someone like that about a sensitive workplace issue.

Edit: though it does somewhat sell me on the idea that the dude was just too loving oblivious and tuned-out to notice the issues or listen when anyone spoke up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 25, 2021

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
You'd be oblivious too if you were high on cocaine 24/7 coasting on sheer luck. He sounds like a fun guy at a party which I guess counts for more than it should be worth.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Exercu posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xvkGhXRTmmS2ZGmVo8L0EkKYKMNUVZns/view?usp=drivesdk

anti-slapp motion against Avellone's garbage suit has been filed. Looks like the defense attorney put on the boots for stomping.

Oh wow, Avellone's position is even worse than I realized I did not think they could contest the jurisdiction and recover fees with the antislapp.

So if I'm reading this(and the cases cited in the footnotes) correctly and assuming they're on point, he is righteously hosed. His case is getting thrown out, the court will not be considering his claims because it lacks jurisdiction(and even if it did he would still lose because they're garbage), and he still pays the defendant fees.

gay_crimes posted:

That reads like a whole bunch of nothing to me, it’s entirely face saving unless he says he’s going to cooperate in the suit
Yeah, it's basically worthless statements from far-off former management probably out of reach of the lawsuit, it's easy for them to say nice-sounding bullshit. They're not admitting to anything they might be personally liable for and not committing to actual concrete efforts to make anything better.

The obvious cynical take is they're trying to get out in front of whatever is going to come up during the suit that happened during their tenure. Unsurprising Twitter is letting them off the hook for at best rank incompetence because they got a nice apology and some vague promises about change.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 25, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Oh wow, Avellone's position is even worse than I realized I did not think they could contest the jurisdiction and recover fees with the antislapp.

So if I'm reading this(and the cases cited in the footnotes) correctly and assuming they're on point, he is righteously hosed. His case is getting thrown out, the court will not be considering his claims because it lacks jurisdiction(and even if it did he would still lose because they're garbage), and he still pays the defendant fees.

Yeah, it's basically worthless statements from far-off former management probably out of reach of the lawsuit, it's easy for them to say nice-sounding bullshit. They're not admitting to anything they might be personally liable for and not committing to actual concrete efforts to make anything better.

The obvious cynical take is they're trying to get out in front of whatever is going to come up during the suit that happened during their tenure. Unsurprising Twitter is letting them off the hook for at best rank incompetence because they got a nice apology and some vague promises about change.

One of the highlights of the Avellone case was that not only did he then make a ton of public statements confirming the encounters happened he filed in a extremely bad jurisdiction for a SLAPP case. There's a reason people always file those things in like East Texas or wherever because its the region where the law is vastly more favorable to SLAPP lawsuits.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

pentyne posted:

One of the highlights of the Avellone case was that not only did he then make a ton of public statements confirming the encounters happened he filed in a extremely bad jurisdiction for a SLAPP case. There's a reason people always file those things in like East Texas or wherever because its the region where the law is vastly more favorable to SLAPP lawsuits.

Probably still wouldn't want to do it in Texas (See: Vic Mignogna), but California is definitely not a good place to file. The thing he's responding to, however, is the extremely galaxybrain argument in defendants' motion to strike in which the defendants' lawyer basically goes "this is the wrong venue, you don't have jurisdiction, but Avellone should still pay me for my work, because if California isn't the right place to file the suit, there's obviously no chance of prevailing"

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Exercu posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xvkGhXRTmmS2ZGmVo8L0EkKYKMNUVZns/view?usp=drivesdk

anti-slapp motion against Avellone's garbage suit has been filed. Looks like the defense attorney put on the boots for stomping.

Is anyone on law twitter talking about it? I remember them predicting Avellone getting the poo poo stomped out of him and laughing at an rear end in a top hat getting his due makes life less depressing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

mortons stork posted:

Is anyone on law twitter talking about it? I remember them predicting Avellone getting the poo poo stomped out of him and laughing at an rear end in a top hat getting his due makes life less depressing

Sadly doesn't seem to be the case. Currently trending (as much as anything related is) is one of Chris' sychophants writing articles on medium containing super nebulous "receipts" that "prove" his innocence that is now conveniently being spammed everywhere by random accounts.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 25, 2021

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

mortons stork posted:

Not a lot. Kathryn posted it, DM responded that it's "very very nice" but no one has livetweeted it or anything.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly doesn't seem to be the case. Currently trending (as much as anything related is) is one of Chris' sychophants writing articles on medium containing super nebulous "receipts" that "prove" his innocence that is now conveniently being spammed everywhere by random accounts.

From the beginning Karissa Barrows said that it took years for her to recognize that it was assault, but somehow the receipts that show she was nice to Avellone days/months after the incident prove that he couldn't possibly have done it.

Jacqui Collins? She couldn't possibly not have consented to an explicit message because she was sexual elsewhere.

Other women? They probably are just liars too.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

mortons stork posted:

This is the first step in the stomping, next we get to see if we get a delicious SLAPPBack.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope how egregiously terrible this one guy was doesn't end up with a half-hearted "cleaning house" "just a few bad apples" that we've seen in other studios (cw: descriptions of sexual assault)

https://twitter.com/Treasureeeee/status/1419684879978176518

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope how egregiously terrible this one guy was doesn't end up with a half-hearted "cleaning house" "just a few bad apples" that we've seen in other studios (cw: descriptions of sexual assault)

I would be deeply, deeply surprised if we see anything close to cleaning house, and not at all surprised if the best we get from the company's perspective is some bullshit lies about "appropriate punishments" and new training, at least until the court case plays out--and assuming they lose it.

That being said we haven't seen this situation with a state lawsuit involved (AFAIK) so maybe it'll be substantially different. My expectation is probably a sacrificial firing or two and some "significant restructuring and policy changes" or some similarly meaningless corporate speak

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is still currently a DFEH suit against Riot working its way through the courts. I don't know what it says about Riot being able to successfully bury that because I thought that it had already been settled. But it turns out when they were about to settle for $10M that DFEH stepped in and said that was way too low, and that scuttled the settlement deal and now DFEH is bringing a suit on behalf of those employees, they were continuing to investigate as of earlier this year

https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2021/02/RIOTGamesNotice.pdf

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know what it says about Riot being able to successfully bury that

Because it sounds close enough to the original story that what few places bothered reporting it got a "we already knew that" response from people who didn't read past the headline, probably

I'd say "that's brilliant" if it wasn't completely outside of Riot's control, I assume someone at Actiblizz is taking notes though

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that dudes a straight up rapist yikes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/sweetpotatoes/status/1419746524855246855 https://twitter.com/sweetpotatoes/status/1419806231569502208 https://twitter.com/UppercutCrit/status/1419722441769701383. Also some people are going public and naming names.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Civil law is such a joke, prison or bust IMO.

There is no value in fines to legal entities, which aren't capable of suffering, or ~lessons learned~ by people who didn't give a poo poo. Change only happens when individuals are afraid for their jobs/freedom/lives.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 27, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

he left blizzard last year but since all this came out there's been some sources saying he was forced out due to all the allegations against him but that nothing was done to fix the wider cultural problems & forcing him out was management trying to blame all the problems on him

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
If he was supposed to be the scapegoat then letting him metaphorically slip out a side-door and sneak away rather than having some sort of big "Look at us cleaning up our messes" announcement seems a little odd.

Could be more of a "We can't protect you any more so you need to go now" thing from his arsehole friends in management, I suppose.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Itzena posted:

If he was supposed to be the scapegoat then letting him metaphorically slip out a side-door and sneak away rather than having some sort of big "Look at us cleaning up our messes" announcement seems a little odd.

Could be more of a "We can't protect you any more so you need to go now" thing from his arsehole friends in management, I suppose.

Maybe its a poor attempt for them to be able to tell people they tried. "We fired (paid him to go away) one of the guys who did it. Isn't that enough?" :effort:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Itzena posted:

That's how Google did it

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Google gave Andy Rubin, the creator of Android mobile software, a hero’s farewell when he left the company in October 2014.

“I want to wish Andy all the best with what’s next,” Larry Page, Google’s chief executive then, said in a public statement. “With Android he created something truly remarkable — with a billion-plus happy users.”

What Google did not make public was that an employee had accused Mr. Rubin of sexual misconduct. The woman, with whom Mr. Rubin had been having an extramarital relationship, said he coerced her into performing oral sex in a hotel room in 2013, according to two company executives with knowledge of the episode. Google investigated and concluded her claim was credible, said the people, who spoke on the condition that they not be named, citing confidentiality agreements. Mr. Rubin was notified, they said, and Mr. Page asked for his resignation.

Andy Rubin raped somebody, and Google waved him on his way with $90M as a parting gift.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's a general belief that there is no greater punishment for a powerful man than not being in a position of power anymore, as if being an executive or elected official or other powerful figure is some sort of birthright that is being unjustly stolen from them. Geeze, he already lost his job, hasn't he been punished enough???

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a general belief that there is no greater punishment for a powerful man than not being in a position of power anymore, as if being an executive or elected official or other powerful figure is some sort of birthright that is being unjustly stolen from them. Geeze, he already lost his job, hasn't he been punished enough???
This even works in reverse, with some people going free because a prison sentence would prevent them from ascending to a position of power.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The weird/horrible part in my opinion is that there's no, like, economic reason to protect him? The company doesn't earn more money by letting these things fester, or by paying a guy they're firing anyway millions of dollars. So the only possible reason for them to do it is because all the executives know that they're hiding things that are just as bad or worse, and they want to be protected too if it's revealed.

Like, I can understand an amoral corporate machine that uses and disposes of people remorselessly. But this is somehow different and worse.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

This is awesome. Does anyone know if there's a public letter that gamers could sign?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Clarste posted:

The weird/horrible part in my opinion is that there's no, like, economic reason to protect him? The company doesn't earn more money by letting these things fester, or by paying a guy they're firing anyway millions of dollars. So the only possible reason for them to do it is because all the executives know that they're hiding things that are just as bad or worse, and they want to be protected too if it's revealed.

Like, I can understand an amoral corporate machine that uses and disposes of people remorselessly. But this is somehow different and worse.
Amoral corporate machines only don't care about what happens to people to a point. That point being when high level leadership feel something could be precedent that puts their own position at risk, or possibly when it affects close personal friends. Functionally, the entire group, across all industries within a country (with some international overlap) is just the Fraternal Order of Management.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

This is awesome. Does anyone know if there's a public letter that gamers could sign?

I think the strike organizers are asking people to use a specific hashtag and donate to certain charities if able:https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1420066472605495298?s=20

https://twitter.com/Gaiazelle/status/1420084378244292610?s=20

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Amoral corporate machines only don't care about what happens to people to a point. That point being when high level leadership feel something could be precedent that puts their own position at risk, or possibly when it affects close personal friends. Functionally, the entire group, across all industries within a country (with some international overlap) is just the Fraternal Order of Management.

Also, while it's useful to think about system and material conditions, these companies are ultimately a bunch of people with values largely shaped by millennia of patriarchy, who happen to all be white men, and that also... kinda counts for what they consider acceptable and what they consider unacceptable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1420096966378201089?s=20

If Activision was hoping this would all just blow over I think we're past that now, thank god this seems to actually have pissed everybody off enough that its going to impact Activision financially in a big way.

So many streamers flat refusing to play their games or cover news of their games for the next year really says something. (Not that Blizz has any products to announce though)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Clarste posted:

So the only possible reason for them to do it is because all the executives know that they're hiding things that are just as bad or worse, and they want to be protected too if it's revealed.

Eric Schmidt, the CEO at the time, was notorious for hiring and loving attractive women.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1420096966378201089?s=20

If Activision was hoping this would all just blow over I think we're past that now, thank god this seems to actually have pissed everybody off enough that its going to impact Activision financially in a big way.

So many streamers flat refusing to play their games or cover news of their games for the next year really says something. (Not that Blizz has any products to announce though)

We’ll only truly see if this has an effect on Activision when the next hype/marketing campaign for one of their big releases rolls out. Like last year, they will probably have a huge presence at Gamescom in late August, where they will no doubt show off the new Call of Duty (world first, presented by Geoff Keighly).

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Has this had much of a presence on the other franchises? A lot of people seem to be writing it off as a "Blizzard issue".

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 27, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol rip all those streamers relying on blizzard games to pay their bills

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/1420129038912278529?s=20

Well, they're gonna delete Afrasiabi's character from WoW. Pretty much the smallest action they can take, but they're definitely feeling the pressure.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
What’s the word on how this is playing out in the Korean and Chinese markets? I know they’ve been a big part of their (Blizzard’s at least) market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

"We don't understand how this could have happened." ~ the people who have been contributing to this problem for 16 years