Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I would prefer not to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

The whole "conflating science and marketing" thing bugs me to no end, but it'd be easier to take if she tied it back into the overarching theme of "capitalism makes everything worse". Which she doesn't. Not in so many words, anyway.

Learning from experiences and observations sounds like a great idea. There should be a method for doing that. Wonder what you'd call it...
I've said it in the BSS discord and I'll say it here: I'd 100% expect Steph to be an antivaxxer(covid or otherwise) because she cares more about ~natural~ than anything else, doesn't trust info that comes from other people, and assumes that science is just there to create excuses for poisoning people. Not that she'd mind how many people that'd kill because her dream world requires 99% of the population to die anyway.

Parts of her politics have aged better than expected, but the anti-science stuff was rotten back then and it's even worse now.

Zereth posted:

I mean, somebody should probalby be enforcing the traffic laws.

But maybe it doesn't need to be done by somebody who has a gun and will not be significantly punished if they kill you? :thonk:
Also someone whose actual job is keeping traffic safe and not just handing out bullshit tickets(under penalty of quota) to generate revenue for your department. The concept of speed traps should not exist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Who did it better, 9 Chickwood Lane or Moon Over June?

If you don't know what the latter is, for the love of GOD do not bother looking.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Mark Trail

Hey there we go, a good strip and tidied up writing. Nicely done. Cherry as a hot-headed sometimes-idiot who actually thought unleashing feral hogs as revenge was a good idea because it felt good at the time and apologizes and tries to make amends is pretty good. Even works in Violet as a real person instead of "HOA Bad Woman." I wonder if Mark's half of the story can tidy up in the same way(though the nonsense car chase/fake heist are much more insane.)

quote:

Pooch Cafe

Pffft hahahahahaha. When Pooch Cafe sticks the landing it's great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I missed this earlier, but: gently caress you Ed. I've been to fancy restaurants 2, maybe 3 times in my life and I understand that the point is the ambiance and the quality of food. If you're just looking to get the most food for your buck, there's a billion chain restaurants, buffets, and cheap diners you could have gone to instead.

Mikl posted:

It's seriously baffling. It's happened several times already. He loving knows the portions at fine dining, high class restaurants won't fill him up. I just have to ask: my dude, have you ever heard of "pregaming"? Just eat a sandwich or something beforehand, so you'll be able to enjoy the food while still being full at the end of the night.
But then he might have to take initiative to solve a problem instead of having the world cater to his specific whims! :ohdear:

CommonShore posted:

One of the things that bugs me the most about Dustin - among many things that bug me about Dustin - is how they seem to represent the family as a regular everyday middle class family when in reality he's a rich loving lawyer and she's a quasi-celebrity radio host, meaning that they're multimillionare bourgeois shitbirds.
It's the same energy as those 'it's easy for younger generations to buy homes. Look how I did it at age 23 on a salary of $40k! Plus my spouse's salary of $90k plus my parents contributing $700k to our savings' ragebait articles.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ah, that good old classic. Sure, just call out to your friend/coworker. Don't loving call in a missing guard that left their gun on the floor, or anything.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommonShore posted:

One of the things that bugs me the most about Dustin - among many things that bug me about Dustin - is how they seem to represent the family as a regular everyday middle class family when in reality he's a rich loving lawyer and she's a quasi-celebrity radio host, meaning that they're multimillionare bourgeois shitbirds.

You vastly overestimate how much local radio personalities get paid. They're well off, mostly thanks to his job, but they're not _that_ well off.

Haifisch posted:

I missed this earlier, but: gently caress you Ed. I've been to fancy restaurants 2, maybe 3 times in my life and I understand that the point is the ambiance and the quality of food. If you're just looking to get the most food for your buck, there's a billion chain restaurants, buffets, and cheap diners you could have gone to instead.

The thing that surprises me about fine dining every time I do it is that the portions look small, but there are always several courses so at the end I'm pleasantly satiated.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

I've said it in the BSS discord and I'll say it here: I'd 100% expect Steph to be an antivaxxer(covid or otherwise) because she cares more about ~natural~ than anything else, doesn't trust info that comes from other people, and assumes that science is just there to create excuses for poisoning people. Not that she'd mind how many people that'd kill because her dream world requires 99% of the population to die anyway.

Parts of her politics have aged better than expected, but the anti-science stuff was rotten back then and it's even worse now.

"The following perspectives & attitudes are reflected in her work:

PRO: Earth, people, defiance, tropical fruit, love, plants, worker solidarity and rebellion, wildlife, kindness, realness, open hearts of good cheer, the smell of the ocean, classlessness, autonomy, the conscious universe, sincerity, connection, mutuality

ANTI: exploitation, oppression (racism, patriarchy, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, etc), ecocide, colonialism, the capitalist mode of production, feudalism, speciesism, self-centered mean greediness, alienation, arrogance, fakery, brainwashing, class-divided social organization"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is this her describing herself?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

You vastly overestimate how much local radio personalities get paid. They're well off, mostly thanks to his job, but they're not _that_ well off.

Same for lawyers, generally. Ed is probably a poo poo tier lawyer at a mid tier firm. He's not a partner in a Grisham novel

To be clear they are FINE financially, but not 1%er multi millionaires or anything. Their constant complaints about money make them total poo poo heads though

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

Hey there we go, a good strip and tidied up writing. Nicely done. Cherry as a hot-headed sometimes-idiot who actually thought unleashing feral hogs as revenge was a good idea because it felt good at the time and apologizes and tries to make amends is pretty good. Even works in Violet as a real person instead of "HOA Bad Woman." I wonder if Mark's half of the story can tidy up in the same way(though the nonsense car chase/fake heist are much more insane.)
You know you're right. That was a satisfying conclusion to this story, now that I think about it. Yesterday I was a little surprised she just admitted what she did because I expected Violet to drag her into court or something, but the way this is ending is kind of nice.

Maybe Jules'll be able to get this strip going in a good direction after all.

Anyways, here's the first ten days of Apartment 3-G: 1976 (except Sunday)

So that's how it is in that family.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thranguy posted:

"Bernice and Nil are just now realizing that they're exhibitionists"
surely they knew already I mean that's where they had the date

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Lovely Horse posted:

surely they knew already I mean that's where they had the date

boo

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bernice sucks but the joke this week is definitely shaming her for being a prude. There are layers to how badly it's being handled but they'll be available to unpack once this storyline inevitably fizzles out with no payoff.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
By the end of next week Luann won't be able to sleep for the noise of them wearing each other like gloves for their onlyfans.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I was so much happier before the return of Holbrook. It's the pain I can't make myself scroll past.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

the July Bug is an identity worn by many, sworn to secrecy

There Are No Laws In The Sky - old Raccoon saying

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (July 27, 1974)

Funky WinkerCon never got around to answering the only question all of us had.

The Crankshaft "Thin Blue Line" week ends in a flurry of gibberish, which matches the other five days, honestly.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 23, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 25-27, 1937)

And that's where we stop for the moment...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkerCon never got around to answering the only question all of us had.

This has been a really pointless storyline. I don't understand who this is supposed to appeal to other than Batiuk himself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Batiuk writes a story in which Batiuk congratulates Batiuk on being a story-telling inspiration. Business as normal.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This has been a really pointless storyline. I don't understand who this is supposed to appeal to other than Batiuk himself.

that's right

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Writing comic strip storylines where characters you invented win prestigious awards is pretty Chris-Chan like.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Writing comic strip storylines where characters you invented win prestigious awards is pretty Chris-Chan like.

WOAH thats a strong internet flashback, forgot all about that guy

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

old people who think that print comics still matter

(i say, posting in a forum thread about newspaper comics)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Johnny Aztec posted:

Has ANYONE here actually had moth larva eat some of their clothes?

Clothes moths definitely exist and the larvae definitely eat wool and they're definitely a pain in the rear end to get rid of.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: deception (September 2-8, 2002)

There are plenty of things I could say about this, instead I'll just point to the first strip and say that hares and rabbits, though similar, are not the same thing.

Yeah, this entire storyline was just awful. Bad enough they forced the guy who's been victim of racist stereotyping to pretend to be a rabbit, but then George is fine with it if it gets him laid. It's not even a badly-mangled metaphor. They straight out say that everyone mistakes George for a different race because of his ears.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace in the last panel is enjoying being chased and egged by the farmer. :allears:

Haifisch posted:

But then he might have to take initiative to solve a problem instead of having the world cater to his specific whims! :ohdear:

It's the same energy as those 'it's easy for younger generations to buy homes. Look how I did it at age 23 on a salary of $40k! Plus my spouse's salary of $90k plus my parents contributing $700k to our savings' ragebait articles.

Has Ed ever taken his kids to dine in a fancy restaurant? Because that adds a layer of awfulness to him complaining about this petty poo poo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

As much as 70s Rex Morgan spins its wheels, it still manages to be leagues ahead of modern RM. Not that that's a high bar to clear.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

and a peek into the world of the people who comment on comics that are over 20 years old:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Cobalt-60 posted:

No re-introduction for Gawain? Not even a "Hi" or a catching-up?

Also, I find the idea of King Arthur the ginger hilarious.

Gawain would probably take up a lot of the story if he got a proper speaking role here.

Also Arthur was blonde the last time we saw him I think, but I like the red hair for his design.

Prince Valiant

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

It's seriously baffling. It's happened several times already. He loving knows the portions at fine dining, high class restaurants won't fill him up. I just have to ask: my dude, have you ever heard of "pregaming"? Just eat a sandwich or something beforehand, so you'll be able to enjoy the food while still being full at the end of the night.

They're doing it because it's an old sitcom trope that hasn't applied for some time ever since the restaurant industry diversified from "that one fancy French place you take the wife every so often when she complains that you never go out anymore."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Bernice sucks but the joke this week is definitely shaming her for being a prude. There are layers to how badly it's being handled but they'll be available to unpack once this storyline inevitably fizzles out with no payoff.

They've gone so far with it that she now just seems to have major issues in need of treatment. They aimed for comic exaggeration and have landed at "Oh I think she may have some issues she needs to deal with."

Also, regarding the Funky storyline- the thing that grabs me is that this would have been like new and relevant thirty-odd years ago. See, Batiuk is still thinking of the Silver Age when all this happened, late 50s through the 60s, and most of the major creators from that era? Are dead. Kirby? Lee? Ditko? Curt Swan? Gardner Fox? Carmine Infantino? All gone. They're not around to receive this acclaim. The comics industry knows that these were guys who never got what they deserved for creating characters that major corporations have made billions from, and this is still a going concern in the industry, only now the focus is on artists and writers who did major work in the 70s and 80s and onward. This scene that he's laying out is a scene that could have taken place at a comic book convention in 1991. What Silver Age talents have survived to this day (at a glance Roy Thomas is still kicking) are well aware that they've had an influence on the generations who came after, and now they'd like some goddamn residuals please.

I can see Batiuk thinking that this is a way of bringing awareness to the reader of all these guys who made the characters that are everywhere in the media, but like- the present situation has shifted.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 11/26/46
Incredible payoff for the "I love that hat" women. :roflolmao:

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse
Weird.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: welp we're done with that storyline I guess :shrug: (September 9-15, 2002)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 25, 2021

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Nancy has a Spanish language edition.

Sometimes they make more of an effort, and sometimes they don't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Resident Idiot posted:

Nancy has a Spanish language edition.

Sometimes they make more of an effort, and sometimes they don't.

Well, it is much funnier than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Eat poo poo, you rear end in a top hat. I know perfectly well you're the kind of person who ogles women when they go running without a shirt, wearing just a sports bra. Don't even try to deny it.

quote:

Cruel Little Stories

Guillottine.