Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Clapton sucks, all he ever did was play wack uninspired blues pentatonic poo poo that he ripped off from BB King Muddy Waters et al anyway. Plus he's a legendary rear end in a top hat, had a Michael Richards-esque racist rant onstage at one point, and now is a full-on COVID truther.

Being a Clapton fan in the third decade of the 21st century is like being a big Aaron Sorkin fan - you have Boomer brain regardless of your chronological age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

Plus he's a legendary rear end in a top hat, had a Michael Richards-esque racist rant onstage at one point, and now is a full-on COVID truther.
Yeah, this I knew.

How come he's in the rock and roll hall of fame etc? Ripping off better musicians? Got to say the only proper rock songs of his I actually know are Layla and Sunshine Of Your Love.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

There’s that one where the entire thrust of the song is “cocaine good”

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In all fairness, it was actually much much worse than Michael Richards' rant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, this I knew.

How come he's in the rock and roll hall of fame etc? Ripping off better musicians? Got to say the only proper rock songs of his I actually know are Layla and Sunshine Of Your Love.

Because he’s one of the most popular blues rock dudes of all time. Maybe THE most popular. But he’s really only as good as his collaborators, which is why Cream and Derek & The Dominos and the Yardbirds are good but his solo stuff is a snooze fest.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Verus posted:

This is clearly more of an American Shaolin situation.

:hai:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Clapton sucks, all he ever did was play wack uninspired blues pentatonic poo poo that he ripped off from BB King Muddy Waters et al anyway. Plus he's a legendary rear end in a top hat, had a Michael Richards-esque racist rant onstage at one point, and now is a full-on COVID truther.

Being a Clapton fan in the third decade of the 21st century is like being a big Aaron Sorkin fan - you have Boomer brain regardless of your chronological age

Layla's about the only thing of his I like, and I like it a lot. I feel justified in continuing to enjoy it because I can spend a lot of time thinking about how he did the clearly inferior half.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

still trying to get funkytown out of my head

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I used to be able to play it on my phone. Now phones don't make any noise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

I used to be able to play it on my phone

Somewhere Axl Rose's ears perk up and he has an idea for a new cover, but he has no idea why.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Dross posted:

There’s that one where the entire thrust of the song is “cocaine good”

Which if I'm not mistaken was a cover of J. J. Cale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmD_HcOcfU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

CaptainBeefart posted:

Which if I'm not mistaken was a cover of J. J. Cale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmD_HcOcfU
After Midnight as well. Call Me the Breeze (Lynyrd Skynyrd) is another. I saw him live in Santa Cruz like 20 years ago and it was amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Rock Against Racism series of concerts was specifically a response to Clapton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, this I knew.

The rock n roll hall of fame is an anglo thing and anglos don't know poo poo about rock n roll.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

To my surprise, I learned this evening that an NES emulator can simulate the NES Zapper using your mouse. I played Duck Hunt for the first time in nearly 30 years, which was fun (I got bored after a few minutes, but it brought back some pleasant memories).

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
His rant in its entirety is on his Wikipedia page and....yeah :stare:

You'd think someone who owed their whole career to black music would've maybe not been a massive racist but there we are.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aphrodite posted:

The Rock Against Racism series of concerts was specifically a response to Clapton.

Bowie going on a coked out rant about how Britain really needed a fascist leader and how Hitler was the first popstar also contributed.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I thought "Funkytown" was two separate songs for a while.

For me, it was “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

Luckily I overcame my shame just before “Wayne’s World” was released.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Stuff I just figured out: Cream is a supergroup????

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The rock n roll hall of fame is an anglo thing and anglos don't know poo poo about rock n roll.

so it's like not having the ability to process lactose only its rock n roll instead? Genetics is weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Stuff I just figured out: Cream is a supergroup????

They’re commonly held up as the first example but it’s a weird one because they wound up being much more famous and acclaimed than the members’ previous bands like The Graham Bond Organization, but 99% of supergroups are less than the sum of their parts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

His rant in its entirety is on his Wikipedia page and....yeah :stare:

You'd think someone who owed their whole career to black music would've maybe not been a massive racist but there we are.

"I used to be into dope but now I'm into racism" is genuinely funny in a "OMG, he admit it!" kinda way

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I thought “I’m too Sexy” was a separate song from “I’m a model if you know what I mean” when I was a kid. I hadn’t heard either song, just people singing various lines so I never pieces together that they were the same song.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was reading something that mentioned capuchin monkeys and it struck me that they had a dark brown, almost black base colour topped off by a creamy light brown fur which was pretty much the same colours as a cappuccino and I wondered if there was a connection.

It turns out that capuchin monkeys and cappuccinos are both named after the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin, or more specifically named after the distinctive shade of brown that the friars dyed their hooded robes. 'Capuchin' means 'hood' or 'hood-wearing'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappuccino#Etymology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey#Etymology

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've just learnt that the Horn of Africa isn't at all where I thought it was. I assumed it was the just the term used to describe the southern most part of Africa (ie. South Africa) in purely geographical terms, without getting into the potential political messiness of national borders.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

I've just learnt that the Horn of Africa isn't at all where I thought it was. I assumed it was the just the term used to describe the southern most part of Africa (ie. South Africa) in purely geographical terms, without getting into the potential political messiness of national borders.

Looking this up, I can't believe I just figured out my vague etymological idea ("it looks like a horn") was correct for once :v:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I honestly didn't even think to look up the etymology; why else would it be called that ?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I dunno, I just feel like I've had a bunch of times where I just vaguely assumed something like that and turned out to be way off, probably even in this very thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone might be confused by Kap Horn, maybe?

e: Also an example of why keming is important:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Any chance you were confusing it with Cape Horn, the southernmost tip of South America?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Totally possible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

Any chance you were confusing it with Cape Horn, the southernmost tip of South America?

I know I was til now

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It seems this is the week for me to really discover what an idiot I really am.

I've had regular encounters with this variety of loo roll holder since I was in kindergarten:

I realised only last night, that when you put a new roll on, you're supposed to slide the cross bar out the side (the right of the picture), so that the centre space is empty, insert the new roll, then slide the bar back through the tube of the roll and lift it onto the hook part.
I've just been dropping the bar so it's on an angle, and struggling to shove the roll in through the always-slightly-too-small gap.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just figured out that a better design for toilet paper holders exists and I want one like that now. Every one I've ever had has used a telescoping roller with a spring in it that wears out way too quickly, then I have no holder until I finally get around to buying a replacement six months later.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I worked in a home goods store for 12 years. I know those are sold separate from the rest of the fixture because we had them for like $3-6 but they sold infrequently, far less than toilet seats or shower curtain liners or toothbrush holders or other similar bath products. Comparable to q-tip jars I'd say. I've never bought one myself. Just how much making GBS threads are you doing that you go through a toilet paper holder in 6 months?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dip Viscous posted:

I just figured out that a better design for toilet paper holders exists and I want one like that now. Every one I've ever had has used a telescoping roller with a spring in it that wears out way too quickly, then I have no holder until I finally get around to buying a replacement six months later.

We've lived in this apartment since 2017 and haven't hard out wear out. what are you doing wrong?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remember that cheap-rear end kind from like 30 years ago that felt flimsy as hell with a terrible cheap spring inside, but I don't remember seeing one (or having one fail) any time since then.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I dunno, after a couple of months the spring loses enough tension that the roller falls out of the holder when I try to unroll the paper. Maybe I've only ever lived near stores that stock exceptionally bad ones but it's a frequent enough problem that I have a backup one under the bathroom sink right now.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lady Disdain posted:

It seems this is the week for me to really discover what an idiot I really am.

I've had regular encounters with this variety of loo roll holder since I was in kindergarten:

I realised only last night, that when you put a new roll on, you're supposed to slide the cross bar out the side (the right of the picture), so that the centre space is empty, insert the new roll, then slide the bar back through the tube of the roll and lift it onto the hook part.
I've just been dropping the bar so it's on an angle, and struggling to shove the roll in through the always-slightly-too-small gap.

...oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

I dunno, after a couple of months the spring loses enough tension that the roller falls out of the holder when I try to unroll the paper. Maybe I've only ever lived near stores that stock exceptionally bad ones but it's a frequent enough problem that I have a backup one under the bathroom sink right now.

Sounds more like a problem with your holder than the spindle. I'm well into middle age and I've never had one wear out on me.