Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

How exactly do you get helicopters to deliver workers to a job site? I have them delivering materials just fine, but I can't figure out workers.

I started a 1930s game on Passage after being inspired by ASA and it's going well. Tricky, though. There's not a lot of free space so I'm having to be pretty careful with how I locate things, and the limited vehicle options in 1930s are pretty rough. You need a modpack to even have any options, but it's not as thorough as it could be; for example, I don't have any ships available, and only one train engine. I should go and mod some things to tweak that, but instead I've just been using the "all vehicles available" cheat when appropriate and not buying anything that wouldn't be reasonable. It's tough but fun!

Also there's a zeppelin mod and my game got 100% better when I installed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Log082 posted:

How exactly do you get helicopters to deliver workers to a job site? I have them delivering materials just fine, but I can't figure out workers.

I started a 1930s game on Passage after being inspired by ASA and it's going well. Tricky, though. There's not a lot of free space so I'm having to be pretty careful with how I locate things, and the limited vehicle options in 1930s are pretty rough. You need a modpack to even have any options, but it's not as thorough as it could be; for example, I don't have any ships available, and only one train engine. I should go and mod some things to tweak that, but instead I've just been using the "all vehicles available" cheat when appropriate and not buying anything that wouldn't be reasonable. It's tough but fun!

You have helicopter passenger stations, which work like bus, train or harbor stops but with helicopters. Make sure the "workers" checkmark is set. Have the construction office use that stop as a source for workers, and make sure you have helicopters that can carry people, not (just?) cargo.

You probably want to up the auto build radius on them.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Volmarias posted:

You have helicopter passenger stations, which work like bus, train or harbor stops but with helicopters. Have the construction office use that stop as a source for workers, and make sure you have helicopters that can carry people, not (just?) cargo.

You probably want to up the auto build radius on them.

I did all that, and they have a source for workers, but aren't delivering. Hmm. I'll have to mess with it more, maybe I set something wrong. Thanks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Log082 posted:

I did all that, and they have a source for workers, but aren't delivering. Hmm. I'll have to mess with it more, maybe I set something wrong. Thanks.

Make sure there's fuel everywhere necessary, the site is assigned (double check, some sites don't have enough room for the chopper to land), there are more than a couple workers at the pad, and there isn't already a vehicle with people on the way making them redundant.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Volmarias posted:

the site is assigned (double check, some sites don't have enough room for the chopper to land)

I think this was it, there was a message about not having a landing site. I thought it was a systemic issue, like I needed a pad near the site, not that whatever site they were trying to deliver to didn't have room. Thanks!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Log082 posted:

I think this was it, there was a message about not having a landing site. I thought it was a systemic issue, like I needed a pad near the site, not that whatever site they were trying to deliver to didn't have room. Thanks!

It's very frustrating for things like pipes or wires where there's a minute change you want to make (changing where the wires hook up to etc) in the middle of the line, but you cannot reach it and can't just load and unload at the start and end like when building the whole thing

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how do you best manage the following: say if building X has <30% of [stuff], I want a truck to go to building Y, bring stuff to X until X is at 70%, and until it's dropped to 30% again go sit on a parking spot over there (or go to different delivery spots). I assume the distribution office is where it's at but I can't understand its UI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, I think the way it works is the distribution office has a setting which is the threshold setting, when it's picking up this is the level the source must be over for it to send a truck, and when it is dropping off it is the level the destination must be under.

But I think it always tries to do a full truck load, so basically you want to set the thresholds so that the sources only accept trucks when they have enough for a full truck load and the destinations only accept deliveries when they also have enough space to accept a full truck load. Also take into account the time it takes for the truck to get there so you leave enough space on both ends for the truck to reach both buildings once it departs, so you're not sitting with either end being full/empty waiting for the truck to arrive.

That's how I do it anyway, there isn't really a reason to bother about specifics in between that, because the only thing to worry about is that each truck is being used at maximum efficiency (i.e, carrying full loads) and that either end of the transfer isn't stopping production because of throughput issues.

If you can't store enough at either end for this to work, that is a situation where you want to add storage buildings either directly to the factories, or you want to set up a local storage and distribution center closer to one of them that can handle long lag times between transfers (also you might want to consider using trains at this point because large backbone freight services are kind of what they are for)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 26, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Long story short the distribution office doesn't offer hysteresis like that besides the size of the trucks filling it back over the trigger point.

The trigger points are very simple:
destination activates the destination as a valid pick when all the goods in it fall below the set percent. Pay attention to the all the goods part when dealing with mixed storage.
source activates the source as a valid pick when all the goods in it raise above the set percent. Again, all the goods if dealing with mixed storage

It then tries to match valid destinations with valid sources based on what goods are turned on.

Its a system that supports simple push or pull requests in other words. Your logical limit is what you can do with push and pull requests i.e. while you can't do fine hysteresis, you can set it up to supply regional distribution centers which supply branch distribution centers which supply end users which is a good scheme to help move goods across the whole map while still attempting to use small local supplies that are shored up by branch distribution centers supplied via regional DCs supplied from a mega facility.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I must not be doing this correctly. Currently the warehouse is empty, there is a set of trucks moving to the border to pick up goods, those are part of the orders of a different distribution office.
But there is a constant movement of trucks moving to the warehouse, leaving empty, going to the stores, unload their empty cargo, and going back to the distribution office.

While I approve of this Soviet-style busiwork, can they do this only when the warehouse has stuff in it???

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Unfortunately, the problem is that they only get dispatched when the warehouse has something in it, but this doesn't get updated along the way. The only solution is "import more stuff"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's either stuff that was there totaling >30% when the trucks left that something else picked up in the mean time or else you might have found a weird edge case bug which is totally possible in EA. If its the former, you can raise the minimum % in the source and/or remove any competitors to the distribution office.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

zedprime posted:

There's either stuff that was there totaling >30% when the trucks left that something else picked up in the mean time or else you might have found a weird edge case bug which is totally possible in EA. If its the former, you can raise the minimum % in the source and/or remove any competitors to the distribution office.

nope, it's a brand new warehouse. might be a bug. anyway the problem seems to have gone away after the warehouse filled to capacity the first time.

the UI stresses me out sometimes man

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hang on, is the skin for the cinema mirrored for anyone else?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I have a problem that I remember happening before, but I can’t remember how I fixed it. My trucks won’t pick up asphalt from the asphalt plant.

Edit: never mind, I am particularly dumb today. There was a bitumen delivery truck tucked into the plant that had its “wait until fully unloaded” flag set.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 20, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I just bought a computer with gaming in mind for the first time since the Bush Administration (lots and lots of console years) and this was the first game on my list. I found after playing for about an hour with keyboard and wireless mouse that the tendinitis in my right wrist which has laid dormant for a few years started to flare up again and :lol:, that's not something I'm interested in doing again.

What I found in playing Cities: Skylines and Tropico 6 on PS4 was that I can make that work with little discomfort, so the $700 question: Can this be played on PC using a paired PS4 controller?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just bought a computer with gaming in mind for the first time since the Bush Administration (lots and lots of console years) and this was the first game on my list. I found after playing for about an hour with keyboard and wireless mouse that the tendinitis in my right wrist which has laid dormant for a few years started to flare up again and :lol:, that's not something I'm interested in doing again.

What I found in playing Cities: Skylines and Tropico 6 on PS4 was that I can make that work with little discomfort, so the $700 question: Can this be played on PC using a paired PS4 controller?

Maybe, the controls are all rebindable but uuhhh man, parts of it would be really loving tough to be sure. It’s not grid based so placement for things (especially if you’re fastidious about it) can require pixel perfect adjustments. On top of that I don’t know how much is bindable in a way that’s convenient for a controller - you’d probably mostly be pushing a mouse around with the controller to UI elements.

There’s definitely no native controller support so anything would be really hacky.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I mean Steam loaded a community controller config when I accidentally had my controller hooked up before I ripped out it to get back to KBM.

Good mouse posture should have a rigid wrist and involve most of your 'throw' from the elbow. You may need to clear extra space from what you may consider traditional. Failing that, or tennis elbow, there are trackballs and other finger focused mice alternatives that will work perfectly fine for city builders, if not action games with a little practice and rewiring.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

There are also other mice other than trackballs that eliminates tendonitis. They look more like a static palm-sized joystick and you push the entire base around to point

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It's been what seems like forever since I played since I was finishing a glut of work and stuff but I finally finished last night and felt OK to open any/all of my 'woops its 3am' games, this being the first of course.

Now here's hoping that maybe we get lucky and get the fancy new UI in the test branch this week maybe?
https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-31

e: Woah missed this!

Log082 posted:

The passages rules, but the ship thing was a problem. I still don't think I have a mod for a tanker pre ~1950? If you start from the Soviet side, there's a nice big oil field near the border, but the actual land route to it is circuitous enough that its difficult to use easily.

Luckily I've seen in the past few months there's been a lot more early start vehicles added, though most are NATO. I may have to check out the zeppelin mod, that's awesome. Can they fight fires? Nothing would make me happier than seeing a giant hydrogen balloon hovering over a massive industrial fire dumping whatever limited amount of water it can hoist.

My 1930's start is off well, but construction takes so long with trucks that can haul 2tons at most and drive fairly slowly that I'm worried I burn through my start money too quickly on imported food and fuel. I was going to wait to get the steel mill cooking before I started laying rail (especially since the steel mill would probably be the logical #2 stop on the rails since right now everything is really only 1~1.5 real stops: my first town and the construction goods industrial area.) I may expedite that, though, and set up a train to haul cement/bricks to the border if only to slow the bleed for money. Plus I can probably save money on importing that way, too, so I won't use as much fuel on my truck fleet.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 9, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-32

subways aaaaaaaa

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The USS Enterpriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise over here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that they're expanding the underground layer.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

So stoked for all the future updates. I also learned today that there's no subways in Slovakia!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know what's really loving weird that it isn't in the game?

Bicycles.

Like it could even use the same logic as cars, you plop down a bike park (and give a load of buildings bike racks attached) and people can cycle around, really good way to extend coverage between personal cars and public transport, less range but higher density and less congestion, let them use paths too.

Give me my maoist bicycle city you cowards.

(also the last few dev updates about the new loyalty system look quite interesting too)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New report and roadmap up!

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-34

Looks cool, I have been thinking for a while that integrated cosmonaut would help a lot because that's really where the meat of the game is.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm kinda disappointed that development has slowed down, it was cool to have a new reason to play the game every month. It seems like it's because they're actually developing towards a goal now instead of just adding whatever seems cool at the time, so it's a good thing in the long run.

I'm really excited for the integrated modding tools and scripting, I suspect in a year this game is gonna be at Rimworld levels of modding customization.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I think they could probably ship it now and it would be OK, the addition of more things to build and more systems to utilize is quite welcome, though I generally find my biggest desire is for some massive endgame projects that are very challenging to build and staff, but that might be in the realm of modding or post 1.0 content.

As I said the cosmonaut integration should hopefully help as while I generally use it there is some stuff I just buy out, but being made to plan things out more should help.

We will see how it goes, I do think the game is pretty good and definitely a level of simulation detail I find myself wanting in other games. As ever if they made a game that was this game except with cities skylines levels of traffic and road building, that would be ideal.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kinda disappointed that the current limited set of off 5 consumer goods isn't getting expanded. 75% of the production tree is dedicated to the production of buildings vehicles or roads.

The actual consumer goods that are there are also pretty simple in their requirements, for the most part - bread, meat, clothes and alcohol ask start from crops, only the rather abstract 'electronics' has a completely different set of raw resource requirements.

Wish there were more goods to produce for citizens - furniture, medication, books and newspapers, cosmetics, etc? The game feels, well, too austere in the type of goods you can produce for your people.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
What does cosmonaut refer to ?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Grevlek posted:

What does cosmonaut refer to ?

If I'm understanding them correctly it would be a game-mode without an automatic 'build from rubles/dollars' option.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

double nine posted:

Kinda disappointed that the current limited set of off 5 consumer goods isn't getting expanded. 75% of the production tree is dedicated to the production of buildings vehicles or roads.

The actual consumer goods that are there are also pretty simple in their requirements, for the most part - bread, meat, clothes and alcohol ask start from crops, only the rather abstract 'electronics' has a completely different set of raw resource requirements.

Wish there were more goods to produce for citizens - furniture, medication, books and newspapers, cosmetics, etc? The game feels, well, too austere in the type of goods you can produce for your people.

I mean..

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The old trello roadmap had production chains for bicycles, pharmaceuticals, books and newspapers (stemming from a paper industry), and furniture. I'm sure they'll add at least a couple of those in once they have the loyalty mechanics hammered out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generation Internet posted:

If I'm understanding them correctly it would be a game-mode without an automatic 'build from rubles/dollars' option.

Also potentially no automatic supply of materials to buildings either, you would have to import everything by going to the border with a truck and shipping it to a facility.

Re: consumer goods, on the one hand I agree that it would be nice if you had to devote more labour time to just keeping the republic working, but on the other, they would presumably just be more things to supply to exisitng buildings, so it doesn't necessarily increase the logistical challenge so much because it's just more stuff to import until you can produce it yourself, which in turn just saves you money.

I assume that the new civic services are supposed to fill in the maintenence labour need while also necessitating the construction of new infrastructure.

You also have the ability to tie them into other industries, so industries could need water, produce lots of waste etc.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 12, 2021

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The biggest loving change in all of this is multiple vehicles being able to enter a building at once holy gently caress.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Firos posted:

The biggest loving change in all of this is multiple vehicles being able to enter a building at once holy gently caress.

The good news is that mods can actually fix this to some extent:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2054932644

I'm never going back after downloading this version of the gravel processing plant, artificially choked throughput sucks.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Generation Internet posted:

The good news is that mods can actually fix this to some extent:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2054932644

I'm never going back after downloading this version of the gravel processing plant, artificially choked throughput sucks.

Sadly as far as I'm aware there's no fix for the customs houses on the edge of the map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firos posted:

Oh yeah that is going to be a godsend.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Firos posted:

Sadly as far as I'm aware there's no fix for the customs houses on the edge of the map.

There is one, it's cargo ships and aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone had a practical use for container shipping? It seems a bit weird tbh when you could as readily just load stuff directly into ships, or use the trains to export given how absurd the production rate needs to be to utilize container packers/harbours properly.