Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/bebarce/status/1418644708667138054?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mlnhd posted:

When did “netizens” come back into parlance? I’ve seen it twice this week

It's a super common word in China and Korea, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When can I have citizenship solely on the internet and rescind my ties with the nation-states of the physical world?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Yet they failed to follow the netiquette.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

lobsterminator posted:

Yet they failed to follow the netiquette.

Wait til the blogosphere hears about this

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Shnakepup posted:

Wait til the blogosphere hears about this
I'll be sure to remove them from my Webring.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

That’s a mood and a half, lol.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

To be fair I don't know how the game works, maybe it gets pretty hot

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

RoboRodent posted:

I know exactly the dragon breeding website, because I got sucked into it for a bit, and yeah, hooboy was the community of that place... intense.

But this is definitely further than I expected.

This is nothing compared to some of the pearl clutching 2014 tumblr style concern posting, their suggestion forum is always full of people asking to have every random feature of the site removed or able to be toggled off because someone (usually not even the OP) could be triggered by it. Its the only pet site i've ever been on so i have no idea if this is standard behavior across them

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

One good thing about hanging out in (sane) leftist spaces was being able to criticize some of the absolutely bizarre expectations other leftists had for how things should work. Like, buddy, I’m not going to cw every single word in my post. At that point you might as well just read the post

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Content Warning: Post

Kit Walker posted:

One good thing about hanging out in (sane) leftist spaces was being able to criticize some of the absolutely bizarre expectations other leftists had for how things should work. Like, buddy, I’m not going to cw every single word in my post. At that point you might as well just read the post

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Inceltown posted:

Content Warning: Post

How dare you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Couldn’t you have picked a different word

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Data Graham posted:

Japan too. Er, at least going by SoraNews24..

I remember people using it in the early 2000s but I guess it never really picked up that much traction in english speaking circles.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is it net+citizen or net+denizen?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yes

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not even grammatically.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah my friends and I were all tumblr/deviantart teens at one point and I used to get so frustrated by this poo poo because it seemed no matter how hard you tried you were never good enough, it was competitive

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bismuth posted:

Yeah my friends and I were all tumblr/deviantart teens at one point and I used to get so frustrated by this poo poo because it seemed no matter how hard you tried you were never good enough, it was competitive

it was frustrating to see from the outsider looking in. just... how do you expect to ever accomplish basic communication living like that, much less function? people with actual triggers are crippled in a very real way, and it just seemed to trivialize it

and then this lol: https://imgur.com/gallery/3MdC2vA

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

RFC2324 posted:

it was frustrating to see from the outsider looking in. just... how do you expect to ever accomplish basic communication living like that, much less function? people with actual triggers are crippled in a very real way, and it just seemed to trivialize it

and then this lol: https://imgur.com/gallery/3MdC2vA

Lol they always do that "it only takes 3 seconds" or "no one should have to see something that upsets them on [casual site]" but the stuff that upsets them is incredibly common/normal poo poo you'd see at the grocery store or looking out your window. They always want to put the onus on everyone but themselves to deal with whatever weird niche issue they have, and you're an insensitive monster if you dont care as much as they do

similarly highly reactive behavior:

My roomate is part of an animal breeding group on FB and theres a scare about some pathogen that from what I've read from primary sources and CDC is part of the normal flora of the animals, and can be carried by more common pets like cats/dogs too, but a bunch of breeders are getting tested and then culling every positive animal (sometimes all of them), which is very very sad to me. Anyway the group owner made a post where they almost literally said they'd be banning anyone that "didnt care as much as they did" because they saw the people who were actually trying to research/talk to vets/doctors as not being as "serious" as the ones culling all their animals.

Whether its yelling about fruit on tumblr or killing pets irl I never see anything very positive come out of these weird competitions to be the goodest most moral person

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I know how hosed this sounds, given the situation, but I would have liked a warning that the story was going to end in the murder of a bunch of animals holy poo poo.

I do not know how you can put down a healthy animal and think you're doing the right thing. Breeders are the loving worst.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Breeders don't care about the animals. They care about the money. It's just stock that's gone off to them.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i saw somebody on twitter putting a trigger warning on second person narrative

if i'd bothered to save a link i'd post it welp thanks for coming to the idiots on social media thread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's for Homestuck survivors

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Boba Pearl posted:

I know how hosed this sounds, given the situation

Asking for a tw to avoid being upset in a space you frequent is exactly the right way to use them.

Tumblr popularizing the term to a lot of people was overall positive, but the people who used it as a purity test were loud and noticeable. I think it being a widely applicable and categorical concept made it attractive to rule scolds.

I saw it recently when people criticized a drawing of a She Ra character by one of the show's artists as racist, which is fine, have that discussion. But then people went on tirades against fan-artists for not having TW: RACISM on all fanart they've done using of the characters.

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Jul 25, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1419073731331301380

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i recently read a twitter rando saying that "the suggestion that people are lazy or lack productivity is actually the result of toxic capitalism and we should not allow etcetcetc", this stemmed from someone complaining that they being fired for consistently being (extremely) late for work is the boss performing an ableism, that was pretty weird

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Asking for a tw to avoid being upset in a space you frequent is exactly the right way to use them.

Tumblr popularizing the term to a lot of people was overall positive, but the people who used it as a purity test were loud and noticeable. I think it being a widely applicable and categorical concept made it attractive to rule scolds.

I saw it recently when people criticized a drawing of a She Ra character by one of the show's artists as racist, which is fine, have that discussion. But then people went on tirades against fan-artists for not having TW: RACISM on all fanart they've done using of the characters.

I remember when fanart of Lana from Archer was criticised as 'whitewashing' the character, when the artist used the exact same skin tone as she has in the show.

Early 2010s Tumblr in general was, from the looks of it, basically mostly sheltered and well-off white people learning exactly one progressive concept, and then picking it up as a weapon to declare war on the world with and trying to beat anyone they saw into submission. There's a reason things got a lot more quiet around the leftist resurgence, and was funny seeing 'intersectionality includes class' apparently result in a shitload of people suddenly no longer using 'intersectionality'.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i recently read a twitter rando saying that "the suggestion that people are lazy or lack productivity is actually the result of toxic capitalism and we should not allow etcetcetc", this stemmed from someone complaining that they being fired for consistently being (extremely) late for work is the boss performing an ableism, that was pretty weird

What's the context for being late? I mean, I get it, you gotta show up to work to stay employed, but if someone is routinely extremely late to work there has to be a reason, and that reason could either be "stayed up too late last night playing Call of Duty" or "oh god, oh gently caress, I have to work, but for the love of Christ I hate it and the thought of going in makes me want to kill myself, but there's nothing else around, why can't I get up and just face it, why is this happening to me."

Regardless of the reason for the tardies, they're not wrong, even if they're just using it as an excuse. The fact we live in a system where we spend the majority of our waking time doing things we hate to make money for people who do nothing productive in exchange for the bare essentials of food, housing, and medical care is enough to drive anyone into depression.

Laziness is something concocted by our rulers to make us blame one another for our plight rather than to direct our ire at the true sources of said plight.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Kit Walker posted:

I wonder if it's connected at all with the baffling anti-"spoiler" culture the internet has developed over the past few years where every single minute detail about a show/movie/game will just absolutely ruin a viewing experience and must be placed in tags. I played through my flatmates copy of Persona 5 recently, and he had the big fancy steel box version but he insisted, no matter what that I shouldn't look at the back of the box because there are big spoilers on it. I played through the game and it has a couple of betrayals by some major characters so I was like oh, it must have those characters looking real evil and sinister on the back or something. Credits roll, I look at the back, it's just a picture of your party members looking cool. Like, what about this was supposed to be a spoiler? That these characters exist, and join your crew at some point?

It's especially bad when discussing any sort of Disney/Marvel property where you cannot read a sentence about whatever crap they're talking about without clicking through spoiler tags half a dozen times.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beartaco posted:

I wonder if it's connected at all with the baffling anti-"spoiler" culture the internet has developed over the past few years where every single minute detail about a show/movie/game will just absolutely ruin a viewing experience and must be placed in tags. I played through my flatmates copy of Persona 5 recently, and he had the big fancy steel box version but he insisted, no matter what that I shouldn't look at the back of the box because there are big spoilers on it. I played through the game and it has a couple of betrayals by some major characters so I was like oh, it must have those characters looking real evil and sinister on the back or something. Credits roll, I look at the back, it's just a picture of your party members looking cool. Like, what about this was supposed to be a spoiler? That these characters exist, and join your crew at some point?

It's especially bad when discussing any sort of Disney/Marvel property where you cannot read a sentence about whatever crap they're talking about without clicking through spoiler tags half a dozen times.

There's definitely some overlap there. It even shares a lot of the same language. It only takes 3 seconds to make a spoiler warning! You don't know what someone else might consider a spoiler! It comes across more as people wanting to carefully curate other people's experiences rather than actual concern.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

snape kills dumbledore

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
cw for death please

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beartaco posted:

I wonder if it's connected at all with the baffling anti-"spoiler" culture the internet has developed over the past few years
Are you 12? "No spoilers" has been a thing for longer yhan I've been aware of the concept of media. The difference is that three decades ago you didn't have a billion people shouting their every vague thought into the void in real time, and for TV shows if you missed the latest episode of something you were pretty much hosed so you might as well have someone tell you what happened instead.

"Over the past few years" lol

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Beartaco posted:

Ninja Gaiden is about ninjas

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beartaco posted:

the baffling anti-"spoiler" culture the internet has developed
The worst is when you're trying to talk about some piece of media with someone who hasn't seen it, and an uninvolved third party tries to shut the conversation down to protect that person. Actually, I've also been on the other side of that conversation when the third person has butted in. And it doesn't matter if you say "I don't care about spoilers, I actually want to hear this" because they'll still insist that the conversation end "because it's much better if you see it without spoilers!" I've even said "I'm not actually going to watch it anyway, so there's nothing to spoil" and had them argue that I might change my mind so I still shouldn't hear it. And there's no statute of limitations either. "The movie came out ten years ago - anyone who wanted to see it has had plenty of opportunities" holds no water with them. It gets to the point that you can't discuss media of any kind around this type of person because they've decided that everyone else needs to be protected from all new information at all times, whether they want to be or not.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Are you 12? "No spoilers" has been a thing for longer yhan I've been aware of the concept of media. The difference is that three decades ago you didn't have a billion people shouting their every vague thought into the void in real time, and for TV shows if you missed the latest episode of something you were pretty much hosed so you might as well have someone tell you what happened instead.

they do have a point in that its taken to stupid extremes

the underlying belief is that all enjoyment of media is via a series of revelations or reckonings and not much else. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of why we enjoy stories and this misunderstanding manifests in the creative process as well as the viewers: so much schlock is made with little effort put into the craft and is instead just a series of stepping stones to get you to the 'twist' at the end. Think JJ and his mystery boxes. The conclusion one should come to once they understand this is that such media isn't worth the anxiety. If a piece of media can be rendered pointless simply because you know a piece of the plot then it's not worth consuming.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are definitely some things that are more effective when you watch them without spoilers, but it certainly doesn’t apply to every piece of media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Splicer posted:

Yeah but spoilers used to be about major plot points/twists, but now spoilers are just about any detail