Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Capitalism caused this scene to be made for some reason :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/AdequateEmily/status/1417672243702816775

So what I'm taking away from this is that under communism the kid has a whole jar full of cookies, and under capitalism the cookie jar is totally empty because of artificial scarcity.

I got this ad while doing Duolingo lessons a week or so ago lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh also that if your kid is reading college-level books you should take them away and replace them with literal picture books

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Did you post this in another thread recently?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

i am harry posted:

“CAPITALISM!” -

Who is this?
Real 'Microwave's Mom' energy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
*bonk*

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that person doesn't exist

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Orange Devil posted:

Tits are definitely not known for sustaining life. I am very smart.

how bodacious are these ta-ta's exactly?

asking for a friend

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would for sure be dead if tits did not exist. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, tits.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I liked tits so much I became a woman hell yeah

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tokin opposition posted:

:yeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shame Boy posted:

So what I'm taking away from this is that under communism the kid has a whole jar full of cookies, and under capitalism the cookie jar is totally empty because of artificial scarcity.

Tuttle? Like from True Detective?
Oh....OH...

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

I must have missed the episode of Peppa Pig where she’s a communist

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

I must have missed the episode of Peppa Pig where she’s a communist

“Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself.”

—Peppa Pig

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

tokin opposition posted:

:hfive:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did you post this in another thread recently?

lol man I wish

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

That's smart and awesome

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

That last line is some kind of koan.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1418416988053987333

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Screaming Idiot posted:

That last line is some kind of koan.

If you meet the Buddha on the road, fondle his rear end and tits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not sure if it's already been posted, but this commercial seems very fitting for the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyLQesDuo1I

gently caress you, young people! Ya ain't gettin' poo poo!

Also, here in Canada, the Victims of Communism memorial that is still being built for some reason went from being a privately funded bad idea to an ironically bloated, publicly funded bad idea with no end in sight lol

Edit: Also it may have Nazis memorialized on it

Professor Shark has issued a correction as of 10:28 on Jul 23, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
To be fair, a lot of Nazis were victims of communism.

And that is very good.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The Memorial to the Victims of Communism is being financed partly through a "buy-a-brick" campaign called Pathways to Liberty, which is run by the registered charity Tribute to Liberty.

The campaign sells "virtual bricks" that appear on the organization's website and in their newsletter. The bricks are dedicated to alleged victims of communism and include biographical notes about the individuals being commemorated.

Wait, so I don't even get a real brick dedicated to WeedLord BonerHitler?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Towards the end of that article they mention that besides Nazis, they are also having issues with random people who have nothing to do with Communism being commemorated.

But yeah, $200 buys you some text on a website. This whole thing is grift machine from start to finish lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Some war memorials in Canada have inspired controversy over their ties to wartime collaborators. A cenotaph dedicated to the veterans of the Waffen-SS 'Galicia Division' in an Oakville cemetery made headlines last year when Halton Region police opened a hate crimes investigation after the monument was defaced.

Lmao nazis are a protected class, okay

e: I do appreciate that once they walked it back everyone was like "hey wait, why the gently caress is there a nazi war memorial there, thanks for letting us know graffiti"

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Jul 23, 2021

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
There was a de-rail somewhere in cspam weeks ago (I think it was in this thread) about buying cars and car dealerships, where people shared stories about car buying and resources about how dealerships and salesmen work.

Today I helped my autistic brother buy a car. We used our own financing and resisted all their attempts to switch to their financing, which they attempted using several (nonsensical to me) arguments. Then we got to the very end dealing with the business guy and I demanded they drop the "out the door" price 1000$ to the price advertised on the website. They got my salesman (who I was very friendly with because he was very easy to work with) to come and tell me how that discount was ridiculous and no one ever gets anything like that. As soon as I said I was ready to walk away from the whole thing, the business guy grabbed us and told us the discount was approved.

I know I still got hosed in the rear end, but at least with the knowledge I gained from that derail, I made them use the lube. So thanks for that, CSPAM.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I should find that derail. My partner wants me to buy an SUV and I have been putting it off because I hate car dealerships so much. The entire car buying process is the stupidest thing and I have no idea why it exists the way it does.

To anyone who participated in that, can you post so that I can search and find it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eulogistics posted:

I know I still got hosed in the rear end, but at least with the knowledge I gained from that derail, I made them use the lube. So thanks for that, CSPAM.

You got cheated out of a bunch of money, and also you bought a car. Both are bad, unlike getting (voluntarily) hosed in the rear end. It's classic entrenched homophobia. Completely understandable, but also not really cool.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

BonHair posted:

You got cheated out of a bunch of money, and also you bought a car. Both are bad, unlike getting (voluntarily) hosed in the rear end. It's classic entrenched homophobia. Completely understandable, but also not really cool.

You're right, that wasn't a great way to explain the experience I had. I'll try to be more mindful of my language in the future.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Buying a car got a lot easier once I said "I'll agree to anything as long as I get to leave here in this car." And then just signed whatever they put in front of me. Only took 8 years to pay off the loan! :cool:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Professor Shark posted:

I should find that derail. My partner wants me to buy an SUV and I have been putting it off because I hate car dealerships so much. The entire car buying process is the stupidest thing and I have no idea why it exists the way it does.

To anyone who participated in that, can you post so that I can search and find it?

Dunno about the derail, but if I were going to buy a car from a dealer, I'd do something like this (I loving hate dealers, though, and I can't really see myself willingly setting foot inside of one). I'm assuming this is a new vehicle, because if not, a dealer's like your worst option.

If possible, do this towards the end of a fiscal quarter (late March, late June, late September, or late December) in order to find somebody who's are desperate to get their numbers up. Basically, figure out what you want, exactly, before you ever go to a dealer, and then (unless you're paying cash) find out what the best financing rate is and get preapproved. The exception to this is if there's a manufacturer financing incentive you want to use like 0% interest, and you're absolutely sure you'll qualify for it. Even then, though, sometimes some of the cash back or other incentives can be better in the long run, depending on what interest rate you can get elsewhere.

From there, contact every dealer even vaguely within how far you're willing to travel. Do this via e-mail, because you don't want to waste time actually talking to each of them. When you contact them, tell them exactly what you're looking for, and that you're getting quotes from a bunch of other dealers as well, and that you're looking for the best price rather than haggling. If you're financing, let them know that, but don't tell them you already have financing preapproved (and don't let them run your credit); just say that you can get to details for it later if it becomes necessary.

This is important for a few reasons. First, you'll flush out the fuckers who want to string you along until you get emotionally invested in the process with them, at which point, they know they can jack the price way up because you're less likely to walk. Second, you'll probably find the dealer in the area that's trying really hard to be able to say that they're the dealership that sells the most of whatever brand you're looking for (and, IIRC, might get a kickback from the manufacturer, but I don't recall offhand), even if they have to kill their margin on it. Third, if you're financing and let them know that, they'll price the vehicle lower because they'll be assuming they'll gently caress you on the loan instead. So, once you get a formal proposal from them on the vehicle price and they want to move over to running your credit to talk loan terms, that's when you pull out your preapproval.

If you really want to, you can use the price you got from the dealer in point #2 to try to haggle down somebody else, but I can't really see it being worth it unless you happen to find somebody who's really, truly desperate to unload another car, or you need to walk. Related: be ready to walk at the drop of a hat. They need your business more than you need the car, probably (doubly so if it's at the end of a fiscal quarter).

Basically, the whole process is adversarial bullshit based around who rips off who. AKA, capitalism in a nutshell.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Eulogistics posted:

You're right, that wasn't a great way to explain the experience I had. I'll try to be more mindful of my language in the future.

You’re pretty awesome , thanks for being mindful.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eulogistics posted:

No worries, I just like pointing it out, since there's rarely any malice behind it.

In Danish, the corresponding expression (at blive taget i røven) is less explicit and more or less acceptable for politicians to use in TV interviews. This is mostly funny, because whenever they talk about the tax payer getting hosed in the rear end by taxes, I'm like "yeah, that sounds pretty good actually, please do that a lot more".

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Kreeblah posted:

Related: be ready to walk at the drop of a hat. They need your business more than you need the car, probably (doubly so if it's at the end of a fiscal quarter).

Basically, the whole process is adversarial bullshit based around who rips off who. AKA, capitalism in a nutshell.

this is probably the most important point of all this. up until you give them money/sign paperwork, you can just leave and that’s their problem. they being slow and taking their sweet time drawing up the paperwork? walk out. does the salesman need the managers approval to give you the car with the pin stripe for the same price as without? okay goodbye.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're good at negotiating, there are strategies for that.

If you're bad at negotiating, go to Costco, pick out the model you want, and let them do the negotiating. There are other companies that offer this service; Costco was the last one I used. I once had the closer actually refuse to shake our hands when we left because we refused to pay for extended warranties and so on. That was fun.

There's a new and used car shortage going on at the moment, so you may be paying list.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eulogistics posted:

please, don't be gauche. the word is "boofed".

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're good at negotiating, there are strategies for that.

If you're bad at negotiating, go to Costco, pick out the model you want, and let them do the negotiating. There are other companies that offer this service; Costco was the last one I used. I once had the closer actually refuse to shake our hands when we left because we refused to pay for extended warranties and so on. That was fun.

There's a new and used car shortage going on at the moment, so you may be paying list.

Yeah I have a friend who Lives to Haggle, when I bought a car a few years ago I showed him what Costco quoted and he said while he could do better it wouldn't be by a huge margin and would take a lot of work.

Costco is the way to go.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait what?
Costco does cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

this is probably the most important point of all this. up until you give them money/sign paperwork, you can just leave and that’s their problem. they being slow and taking their sweet time drawing up the paperwork? walk out. does the salesman need the managers approval to give you the car with the pin stripe for the same price as without? okay goodbye.

Yup. It's also important to keep in mind that no matter how friendly any of the sales staff is, they're not your friend, and they absolutely do not have your best interests in mind. Their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line. Just like everything before then is their problem, everything after that is yours unless they really gently caress up delivery. So make absolutely loving sure that you're getting a deal you can live with.

I didn't know about Costco, though. That's really good info. I hired somebody local to do the locating/negotiating last time I bought a car, but I think she retired. I might have to give them a shot next time.