Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Actually pretty good stuff from Ed here:

https://twitter.com/thattimwalker/status/1418833659570888704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

This was like 10,000 years ago bruh.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This irish journalist got fired for saying one of the british - irish lions rugby players (whose mother is from the Philippines) had an "oompa loompa tan" on a podcast.

:stare:

https://twitter.com/wordmud/status/1418262098736402434

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 25, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1419215072082251776

Labour are so loving poo poo right now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No wonder he wouldnt condemn fire and rehire.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1419201620336914436

This is just naked corruption and Labour won't say poo poo about it because they just want to do the same thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think you're reading positions in my words that aren't in my words.

I never argued this. I said the US had a position of pre eminence. That's not unilateral dominance, but to say that the balance of power lied in their favour. I never argued that the US could wipe out Russia on its own or "effortlessly" overpower anyone. The US had its friends by the balls, though, and that gave them the balance of power. Turn it on its head: if America was so weak, why would anyone in Realpolitik ridden Europe give a flying gently caress about joining a League of Nations, NATO or the UN? The answer is that America had the west's manufacturing, their debt, and ultimately their rear end. Sure, the US's own forces were a third of that of Britain immediately after the first world war and poorly equipped. That was still enough, it seems, to get everyone reading from Wilson's insane hymn sheet instead of something along Churchill's lines.

'Preeminence' implies, to me at least, visible and obvious superiority. Which certainly noone at the time was thinking.
As for international alliances - because they wanted to avoid another world war? The League of Nations is a particularly odd example here because the US itself never joined it. The US did not dominate the UN, hell the Soviet Union was on it and vetoed things all the time. NATO, sure, but that's a different kettle of fish and I really think you'll struggle with evidence that Western European countries were bullied into joining it via debt. They had perfectly rational reasons to want to be in it already.

quote:

What I am not arguing is some common misconceptions like "the US won the second world war on its own" the contribution of the USSR was crucial, and superior to the US contribution. I feel I have to say that because I wonder what you're thinking that I'm thinking. I'm thinking the US had the closest thing to a deciding position on the west's alliance and that the aggregate was capable of defeating the USSR. Ergo the US had effective pre eminence.

The Soviet Union had an alliance of its own too, you know. If the USSR's contribution was larger than the US's, how is it the US which is preeminent?

quote:

Kruschev's plans. If his ground war was so great why did he put all his military resources in the nuke basket? You could spin that as a response to NATO's scorched earth planning, but in that scenario the argument maybe becomes "the USSR's ground forces are irrelevant, then, if the US has the world's share of deliverable doomsday devices." That argument is then in favor of US military pre eminence during Kruschev's era.

Conventional armies are expensive. Why have a big one if your opponent doesn't?

quote:

The USSR had a massive army, for the same reason as the empire (and other constitutions, albeit shortlived) it succeeded: its conquered peoples were unhappy bedfellows. Ukraine, the Baltics, Georgia, Azerbaijan; they all tried to get their hands on their own governments at some point. That's what I mean when I say that, while it's impressive numerically, the USSR army has the disadvantage of not being an army you can entirely or even majority mobilise: the USSR needed garrisons against its internal as well as external enemies. The US had fewer troops, but they could put them where they wanted them without thinking "oh but is Texas going to riot tomorrow?"

I mean, each of the Pact countries had their own armies too, quite good ones in some cases, that would be expected to fight in WW3. It's ahistorical to assume all of Eastern Europe('s governments) were looking to revolt at any moment. If the Soviet Union had spent the whole Cold War ruling with an iron fist in fear of domestic disturbances there would be no such thing as the Polish or East German army.

quote:

What are you thinking that I am thinking?

Do you think the Entente was in a position to handle the Kaiser on its own?
Do you think Europe was able to act freely and with power in situations without US military help, like say when France had a go at Vietnam or when the UK and France had a go at Suez?

I'm not denying the US was just as much trying to make its own dominoes fall, what with Korea and the way they handled Egypt and Israel. The difference between the US and Russia, however, is that the United States wasn't largely or even slightly comprised of places it had to garrison for fear of dissent. Russia in its various forms, though mainly an empire and a soviet union, had much more watching its own back to do.

Also, even if you're right and pre eminence begins in 91, China's activities still represent a fundamental change to that balance of power.

a) Exactly what do you think preeminence means, here? Again, to me, it would be something like 'it would be obvious to people at the time that the US would almost certainly win any all out war'.

b) I think it's a toss up, both sides were militarily exhausted, but possibly, yes, the Entente could have won without America.

c) Suez is again a poor example because both the US and the USSR opposed the intervention. When both the world's preeminent superpowers tell you to knock it off, you knock it off.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Any chance the WWII chat could move elsewhere? It derails so many threads.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've not watched any of the new Spitting Image, and after seeing this tweet, I'm going to continue not watching any of the new Spitting Image.

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1418937324256247820

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I've not watched any of the new Spitting Image, and after seeing this tweet, I'm going to continue not watching any of the new Spitting Image.

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1418937324256247820

I just looked at the writers for this. A couple of surprising names (and few I 100% expected)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

both the world's preeminent superpowers tell you to knock it off, you knock it off.
Boom. The us was a pre eminent power and you said it yourself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Boom. The us was a pre eminent power and you said it yourself.

My entire exact point is that it was one of two throughout the Cold War. You've been acting like it was the only one.

Edit: yeah, I am out of this very pointless argument, though bring it on in the A/T milhist thread or the Cold War thread in TFR if you think you're hard enough ;p

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 25, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

. It's ahistorical to assume all of Eastern Europe('s governments) were looking to revolt at any moment.

This is such a desperate, obtuse and deliberate misreading that I'm beginning to question your good faith. It doesn't have to be "all" for it to be a significant pressure on their military. The local armies are added to their sum military strength (at least in the book I read: rise of the great powers)

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 25, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

My entire exact point is that it was one of two throughout the Cold War. You've been acting like it was the only one.

They had pre eminence since the first world war. They had the edge over Russia, which was another pre eminent state. China has been a new second for some time now, and what's more the US is losing the edge.

I'm a constructivist so to me you can use pre eminence in many ways but I'm trying to point out that the US was always ahead, even if it was by a hair at times. You want to use it to mean dominance. I don't think anyone has dominated the world at any time. You also then later use it to mean superpower. There were two then, there's two now.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 25, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Perfect Element posted:

Any chance the WWII chat could move elsewhere? It derails so many threads.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought between Israel and Xinjiang over Kashmir and derail every thread on the internet." - Steve Harwell, Super Smash Brother

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I say 'Hitler' and call upon 'Godwin's Law' to be invoked.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JoylessJester posted:

I just looked at the writers for this. A couple of surprising names (and few I 100% expected)

David X Cohen and Bill Odenkirk are the ones that confused me.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

stev posted:

I laughed that off but holy poo poo they’re actually writers?? Why are there so many Futurama staff on it? Tbf though this does vindicate my hatred and general weird distrust for Futurama and the writer’s intentions.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

The League of Nations is a particularly odd example.

The fact Congress never ratified it does not negate that they got Europe to make this by Wilson's design and not simply Vienna 2.0. this is what I mean by singing from Wilson's insane hymn sheet. We're talking about the US having Europe by the balls and not whether the US cared. If Europe was so great on its own then why did the US architects get to design the peace?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 25, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

LONDON, April 19 (Reuters) - British finance minister Rishi Sunak told the Bank of England on Monday to look at the case for a new “Britcoin”, or central bank-backed digital currency, aimed at tackling some of the challenges posed by cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin.

A BoE-backed digital version of sterling would potentially allow businesses and consumers to hold accounts directly with the bank and to sidestep others when making payments, upending the lenders' role in the financial system.

"We're launching a new taskforce between the Treasury and the Bank of England to coordinate exploratory work on a potential central bank digital currency (CBDC)," Sunak told a financial industry conference.

Soon after, Sunak tweeted the single word "Britcoin" in reply to the finance ministry's announcement of the taskforce.

britcoin

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I too love to chain post massive tedious history screeds and then go back and edit them all

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Do they mean members of the public making accounts with the Bank of England directly?

I don't get what's different otherwise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

Do they mean members of the public making accounts with the Bank of England directly?

I don't get what's different otherwise.
They cover this on trashfuture a lot, but the whole point of bitcoin was to prove that you didn't need a bank backed fiat currency, and now all the people who were talking about unlimited free markets have realised that the only way to stop these decentralised currencies from going insane is to centralise them in an institution backed by tangible assets.

Essentially they invented a bank, just worse.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

nurmie posted:

loving hell, i don't even know what's worse: the speaker being a shameless grifter, or the speaker truly believing in what they're spouting

The weird loving cult like entity that's been created doesn't care if they are a grifter or a true believer

Like how covid was entirely made up, a lie, the biggest scam ever perpetrated etc but it's also a secretly released chinese bioweapon and also a demonic plague that's caused by/powered by/requires 5g but the vaccine (which might exist in a quantum state) is also a 5g nano transmitter thing thats also from satan and communicates with the cia/kgb/mossad, is made out of "toxins", napalm, aborted baby guts and satanism spells to control the weather or your mind or make you sterile or whatever the youtube video said this time

All of these belief systems coexist and share a platform, existing concurrently even in the same minds and not a moment is wasted on how they conflict with each other, if anything the profusion of so many beliefs is taken as further proof of the validity of the whole movement- qanons marching fraternal with flat-earthers and antivaxxers and 5g wailers and freemen on the land and moon landing conspiracists and almost all of them would fit in several of those descriptors if not all

It's not about the facts or the truth, a reaction to them or the concealment thereof, but something far more sinister, the outright rejection of reality in favour of imposition of what feels right by any means necessary.

Whether that goes worse places by itself or it gets steered to the same destination by the fash interests currently trying to pull the strings is academic at this point really, as everything continues to fall apart and everyone suffers some kind of reaction to that there's going to be no end of devout new acolytes for them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's the logical extension of 'we've had enough of experts" which is "we're tired of thinking."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's the logical extension of 'we've had enough of experts" which is "we're tired of thinking."

It's getting all a bit Khmer Rouge in that respect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oh yeah, lets ruin the pound even more.
Waiting for the 'Why its better than using euros!' articles from the Guardian.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They've built a community for themselves and that has the potential to provide tangible benefits for its believers. You can't beat a cult with logic, you need to undercut its ability to actually give something to its members.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

The show is for BritBox, which is also sold in the US. But no one outside of the UK has heard of SI so I imagine they splurged out on some American talent to write the bits about Trump et al. Also, they probably just book them in for a single meeting where they got drunk and knocked some ideas about, and then the actual staff went and properly wrote them.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They cover this on trashfuture a lot, but the whole point of bitcoin was to prove that you didn't need a bank backed fiat currency, and now all the people who were talking about unlimited free markets have realised that the only way to stop these decentralised currencies from going insane is to centralise them in an institution backed by tangible assets.

Essentially they invented a bank, just worse.

I still don't see how a "digital currency" is different to the pound, or how they replicate it oblige crypto currencies to bend to the pound? It just sounds like rebranding ordinary money.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Azza Bamboo posted:

I still don't see how a "digital currency" is different to the pound, or how they replicate it oblige crypto currencies to bend to the pound? It just sounds like rebranding ordinary money.

Uncontrolled pumping and dumping every few weeks by Jacob Reese Mogg and his ilk.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think JRM and Bojo have done quite enough pumping and dumping already thank you (at least JRM knows how many kids he has though)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Bitcoin-based ventures like this operate entirely in the realm of buzzwords and don't have to actually do anything, or even exist.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I should have known better. I watch F1 and the sponsors are all products that don't exist or do anything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Azza Bamboo posted:

I should have known better. I watch F1 and the sponsors are all products that don't exist or do anything.

And if they do exist, they produce oil or cigarettes.

My favourite example is Mission Winnow's website which is entirely made of corporate speak without actually saying what they do (they're a shell company owned by Phillip Morris to get around the rules regarding advertising tobacco)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

And if they do exist, they produce oil or cigarettes.
Ah, they're plants.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

None of this is news to anyone, but Jesus loving Christ, there’s some mental poo poo in the Spectator:

https://twitter.com/pdkmitchell/status/1419253991414902786

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Don't understand this at all, but just based on the headline and a quick glance through, it seems like the hot-take haver has logged on and old people should all embrace death, which is good actually:

Most COVID deaths in England now are in the vaccinated – here’s why that shouldn’t alarm you

Sample quote:

quote:

One way to imagine the risk is as a rain of differently sized ball bearings falling from the sky, where the ball bearings are the people that get infected with COVID.

Covid works... the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't understand this at all, but just based on the headline and a quick glance through, it seems like the hot-take haver has logged on and old people should all embrace death, which is good actually:

Most COVID deaths in England now are in the vaccinated – here’s why that shouldn’t alarm you

Sample quote:

Covid works... the same way?

A rain of differently sized ball-bearings falling into multiple layers of sieves, some of which have differently sized holes, might possibly be the worst way to explain anything ever.