Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Steel Division 2 coop patch is out, allowing three people to share all control over the campaigns. Not a true grog, but it isn’t pure casual either. We’ve been having a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah so were your Panthers when the PTABs started falling!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Steel Division 2 coop patch is out, allowing three people to share all control over the campaigns. Not a true grog, but it isn’t pure casual either. We’ve been having a blast.

I was surprised to see that Steel Division 2's numbers on steamcharts are lock-step with Red Dragon. Do goons still play? Would people be up for playing?

At 66% off I'll probably hit the trigger just to see the SP, but it would be good to get the old gang back together to dunk on pubbies.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Likewise I had a great time in steel division 1 so I’d love to go pubstomping again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Likewise I had a great time in steel division 1 so I’d love to go pubstomping again.

I pulled the trigger, will put some time aside this weekend to muck about with this.

BrotherPedro I see you playing SD2 on Steam so your presence is required.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
As far as I can tell there hasn't really been a revival for SD2 player number, at least when I checked. There might be more players on during the weekend or certain time window. The main mode of play right now is ranked 1v1 which isn't really my thing.

I've been playing coop with my friends. By the way, for the DLC campaign, all players has to have the DLC.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

I pulled the trigger, will put some time aside this weekend to muck about with this.

BrotherPedro I see you playing SD2 on Steam so your presence is required.

I'd be willing to hop back in, i have to score the last few DLCs but i have some understanding of the mechanics and such. I played in the steel division 2 league about 7 months ago and avoided getting relegated from division 4.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I tried strategic mind: spectre of communism out. theres some eurojank and bad voice acting but I think I might prefer the general flow of it to OoB.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Combat Mission: Cold War's Steam release was just delayed again. Sometime in August or September now. Apparently due to issues implementing the new PBEM system.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well that made my purchasing decision easier.

Downloading 40k Battlesector now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i've changed my mind on Strategic mind. The jank was tolerable but it's a loving headache to actually gleam information which is impressive when you're making a hex wargame.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

i've changed my mind on Strategic mind. The jank was tolerable but it's a loving headache to actually gleam information which is impressive when you're making a hex wargame.

Uhh. loving impossible to glean information is practically a required feature of a hex wargame.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe headache is a bit hyperbolic but this is what the game looks like by default

you won't notice unless you look carefully theres an infantry squad under that polish plane theres an option to outline units but for some reason thats off by default

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Deptfordx posted:

Prepare to be faced with difficult decisions again, because Waves of Steel has hit early access release on Steam.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

maybe headache is a bit hyperbolic but this is what the game looks like by default

you won't notice unless you look carefully theres an infantry squad under that polish plane theres an option to outline units but for some reason thats off by default

That really does look horrible, how does this stuff get published. My eyes are drawn to the hex borders more than anything else.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
This is what happens when you try to mix hexes with graphics. The purity of the nato symbology would have dealt with he situation easily. :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

In Shadow Empire model design does anyone know where I can find the min/max stats? If something had a score of 81 I really dont know how good that is because its not on a scale of 1-100 since some things go over 100 and its driving me nuts

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Someone else can answer more completely but I think the scale is 75-115 or something like that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thank you!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

That really does look horrible, how does this stuff get published. My eyes are drawn to the hex borders more than anything else.

I think it's an eastern european indie studio.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

Mind sharing what gives Sister of Battle units bonus momentum? I am curious as to how they plan to implement that system for various factions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pharnakes posted:

This is what happens when you try to mix hexes with graphics. The purity of the nato symbology would have dealt with he situation easily. :colbert:

Civfanatics was right and strategy games should never have gone 3D

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

habituallyred posted:

Mind sharing what gives Sister of Battle units bonus momentum? I am curious as to how they plan to implement that system for various factions.

Would love too, but I've been busy, so I've only played the first 2 missions so far. Hoping to get a chance to play some more over this weekend.

Edit: Google search says from taking damage, but I can't confirm that.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Thanks. Should have checked there first, rather than the steam forum and here. Happy to hear that they have flexibility in regards to what generates momentum.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

You can do a lot better than that-

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

I didn't even notice the tanks at first, the hex lines blind me of everything else

Panzeh posted:

You can do a lot better than that-

What game is this?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Panzer Corps 2

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have a long flight coming up and was looking for something groggish to play on my lovely laptop, does anyone have any opinions on Armored Commander II or Valor and Victory? Which one should I get?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Alchenar posted:

I was surprised to see that Steel Division 2's numbers on steamcharts are lock-step with Red Dragon. Do goons still play? Would people be up for playing?

At 66% off I'll probably hit the trigger just to see the SP, but it would be good to get the old gang back together to dunk on pubbies.

I'd be up for it. It's annoying that the dedicated servers are all 10v10 so you have to be lucky when you log in to do a MP game.

Edit: is there a goon gaming discord?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I'd be up for it. It's annoying that the dedicated servers are all 10v10 so you have to be lucky when you log in to do a MP game.

Edit: is there a goon gaming discord?

Was going to pile into the War Thunder LAME discord and use one of the miscellaneous channels there.

E: will be on tomorrow from around 1900 GMT

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 24, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Pharnakes posted:

The only problem with nato is that it doesn't cover everything from neolithic warbands to the far future with a healthy amount of magic and implausible technology included.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

I have a long flight coming up and was looking for something groggish to play on my lovely laptop, does anyone have any opinions on Armored Commander II or Valor and Victory? Which one should I get?

WitP is the answer here, friend. WitP is always the answer.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I've put a good 10 hours into armoured commander II, worth a couple bucks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

WitP is the answer here, friend. WitP is always the answer.

That's actually not a bad idea at all, it's been a while since ive dived into it and itll def keep me occupied

Abongination posted:

I've put a good 10 hours into armoured commander II, worth a couple bucks.

Yeah I ended up picking it up anyway, roguelike+grog sold me

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I've now played through the first 5 missions of battlesector.

Really enjoying it and would recommend for any fan of 40k stuff.

Also clearly has enormous potential for expansion/new factions. I'm hoping the publisher is going to support it just like they did with BSG:Deadlock over the next couple of years.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so I mentioned my complaints about Strategic minds UI but against my better judgement i tried out SM: pacific and holy gently caress is that midway scenario badly designed. The invasion force travels ahistorically fast and if you don't put everything on stopping them they'll land troops within like 3 or 4 turns and insta-win. And then you get an fmv that involves the rising sun being flown in new york.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

well yeah did you expect a pacific grog game that isnt WitP to be good?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Battlesector is a grogdream right now. I'm so enjoying this. I was completely in on Lock n Loads Tactical for the past few weeks (Another awesome game!) and this sucked me right out and now I have two games that I honestly feel are top tier tabletop CPU wargames. Goddamn life is good.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

Battlesector is a grogdream right now. I'm so enjoying this. I was completely in on Lock n Loads Tactical for the past few weeks (Another awesome game!) and this sucked me right out and now I have two games that I honestly feel are top tier tabletop CPU wargames. Goddamn life is good.

Am I missing something with LnL? It always feel like I don't have enough time to even get my units close to the objectives let alone assaulting and clearing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Am I missing something with LnL? It always feel like I don't have enough time to even get my units close to the objectives let alone assaulting and clearing them.

Scenario dependant. Some you have a very limited amount of time to take objectives or kill x amount of forces. They usually give you a few ways to do it. Other ones you simply have 6 turns to go head to head, or take a bridge and hold it, etc. They mix up the scenarios up quite good. The AI can be braindead on a few of them because it just doesn't work well for a side, so playing the other side instead often works out better.

If you're getting shaken a lot, that will be your downfall for almost all scenarios. You can use the "L" key to look for cover and come up with a path to the objective without getting shot as much, or being in enough cover that it's really hard to hit you if they do. Running your medic and commanders between squads so they can become unshaken easier on the rally phase is also worthwhile.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 26, 2021