Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

BlitznBurst posted:

If dragging this arc out means the next one will actually be paced properly then it's a net positive imo. The real problem is really just that this season didn't actually need to be 25 episodes in the first place, there's no reason they couldn't have just trimmed a couple episodes off this and the training arc and capped it off at 20 episodes or whatever.
I suspect TV broadcast deals aren't really that flexible, but I'm no expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

man if you took out all the clipshow poo poo and the re-explaining things we already knew and condensed the last 3 episodes down into 1-1.5 episodes, i'd have probably liked that episode quite a bit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sindai posted:

I suspect TV broadcast deals aren't really that flexible, but I'm no expert.

This is the case, yes.

Episodes counts come in specific sets and any exceptions are pretty far and few between

This thing was already going to be 25 episodes before they even started working on it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Is it just me or did they take a photo and put it through some photoshop filters? It looks like there's some jpg artifacting going on.

BlitznBurst posted:

If dragging this arc out means the next one will actually be paced properly then it's a net positive imo. The real problem is really just that this season didn't actually need to be 25 episodes in the first place, there's no reason they couldn't have just trimmed a couple episodes off this and the training arc and capped it off at 20 episodes or whatever.

I wonder if they could've done the Naruto thing and trim the fat of recaps/repeated exposition and have an extra fight scene or two; I think in Shippuuden they actually kinda got good at interspersing plot in with the "filler" so it wasn't ever a clear break between filler content and main plot stuff narratively.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it just me or did they take a photo and put it through some photoshop filters? It looks like there's some jpg artifacting going on.

They take shortcuts like that on the background art a whole lot, if there's any trees in the scene it's especially noticeable

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Another annoying thing about the episode is that they cut some actually interesting panels like Rei accidentally causing Shoto's scar by trying to cool him with her ice or Bakugou reacting to Deku saying "If you really hate someone, it's fine to just say 'I'll never forgive you.'"

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
You guys remember Naruto fillers???
https://www.nofilleranime.com/filler-guides/naruto/

At one point I remember there were more fillers than canon episodes.

IMO the current filler isn't that bad, for fillers it's actually pretty good!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Suspicious Lump posted:

You guys remember Naruto fillers???
https://www.nofilleranime.com/filler-guides/naruto/

At one point I remember there were more fillers than canon episodes.

IMO the current filler isn't that bad, for fillers it's actually pretty good!

That was a result of it being a weekly show and catching up to the source material.

Seasonal anime means you don't need to do this anymore. You do it because you're focusing on other things and don't want to use your best artists until the movie is completely finished and out.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
You know your anime has finally arrived when you can tell your friends who are curious about it to skip long stretches of episodes at a time.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Not Keyser Soze posted:

You know your anime has finally arrived when you can tell your friends who are curious about it to skip long stretches of episodes at a time.

But then they wouldn't know what it is like to watch all the way through ramen rasengan and piss rainbows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

But then they wouldn't know what it is like to watch all the way through ramen rasengan and piss rainbows.

Also Mecha Naruto and an episode where his shadow clones stage a coup against him. Naruto filler is weird

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3s1H37KxH4

It's a bit like DBZ's driving episode, there's always a handful of good filler.

I always heard filler was what got the Rurouni Kenshin anime canned before we could get the final arc of the manga animated. But it had a legit good filler arc with the Shimabara stuff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Normal filler would be better than what we got this last episode. I would take 3 Selkie episodes in a row, over how shittily they padded out the first half of the episode.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also Mecha Naruto and an episode where his shadow clones stage a coup against him. Naruto filler is weird

Naruto clones staging coup against the original and demanding clone rights and clone unions is the best episode of Naruto, prove me wrong. :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oh jay posted:

Normal filler would be better than what we got this last episode. I would take 3 Selkie episodes in a row, over how shittily they padded out the first half of the episode.
The only thing wrong with Selk-filler is the dumbass forced Kawaii poo poo he does.

Everything else is good Hero Training stuff.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Lt. Lizard posted:

Naruto clones staging coup against the original and demanding clone rights and clone unions is the best episode of Naruto, prove me wrong. :colbert:

Wait, what?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nullsmack posted:

Wait, what?

It was a filler episode that happened during Shippuden, I forget some of the details but that’s basically the gist of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nullsmack posted:

Wait, what?

https://naruto.fandom.com/wiki/Revenge_of_the_Shadow_Clones

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was a terrible episode.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just had a kinda interesting brainwave - we have no redeemed Villains at all in MHA so far, at least in the anime. Bakugo and Endeavor are the main redemption arcs of MHA but they were both always Heroes. No straight up bad guy in MHA has turned around and become a hero. I wonder if there's any meaning to that.

It's very different from most shounen I've seen. In fact...almost all of them. I can't think of any other shounen where absolutely no bad guy turned to the light. I guess that Jujutus Kaisen show I just started but I've only seen the first anime season. DB had a ton with Yamcha, Tien, Piccolo, Vegeta. YYH had Hiei. Naruto had a ton too like Gaara and his siblings, Nagato, etc.. Rurouni Kenshin had Sanosuke and Anji and Aoshi. Fairy Tail had a billion of them with Juvia and Gajeel being standouts. Kinda goes on like that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 26, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

It's a show about Super Cops whose main job is to use their powers to brutalize petty thieves to gain public approval. I mean I wouldn't put it against them to try making the villains more sympathetic, but the non-mook villains the show deals with are generally either insane or have legitimate grievances that can't really be addressed without tearing down Hero society and rebuilding.

Edit: Oh right, Gentle Criminal exists. He counts I guess?

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 26, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, we've seen pretty clearly misunderstood villains in Gentle and LaBrava.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I didn't hate that episode as much as other people seem to, but yeah the pacing here as a non manga reader feels real weird compared to last season, and having a 3 week break after an episode like that is a pretty big snooze.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

I didn't hate that episode as much as other people seem to, but yeah the pacing here as a non manga reader feels real weird compared to last season, and having a 3 week break after an episode like that is a pretty big snooze.

Which is weird, since if they hadn't done all the filler stuff in this and the previous episodes of this arc, we could have finished the arc before the break, instead of having big rear end break between family drama and big fight scene.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't know what the production schedule of the show vs the movie would have been. Is it possible the A-team animators would still have been working on the movie when those episodes were made? Maybe they wanted them back before they did this next arc.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay not reading any of this thread, I want to start watching again bit I'm stuck on the school festival stuff. What episode can I safely skip to for getting past the filler?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay not reading any of this thread, I want to start watching again bit I'm stuck on the school festival stuff. What episode can I safely skip to for getting past the filler?

School festival isn't filler, and that arc has some good stuff in it. I don't recommend skipping it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

There are only 3 filler episodes in the series, none of them are during the School Festival.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The festival isn't filler. everything that follows is much more filler.

So the answer is "doesn't exist yet"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are only 3 filler episodes in the series, none of them are during the School Festival.

5, I think. Season 2 had the Selkie episode, Seasons 3-5 have filler/recap first episodes, and then there's the movie-tie in episode from season 3.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the smart tea girl is also filler

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh yeah, the time Momo won wasn’t canon

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She won thet time against Aizawa.

He kinda sorta let her win but that's because he's awesome. Love Aizawa.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The school festival is cute, don't skip it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think Momo's problem is she needs something like Shirou/Emiya's swords and just have something she can unthinkingly create on the spot in an emergency. Like a quick bar of 2-5 handy things so she isn't playing chess against a boxer who just punches her in the face as she's thinking up her first move.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Holy poo poo yes give momo Unlimited blade works

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think Momo's problem is she needs something like Shirou/Emiya's swords and just have something she can unthinkingly create on the spot in an emergency. Like a quick bar of 2-5 handy things so she isn't playing chess against a boxer who just punches her in the face as she's thinking up her first move.

I'm pretty sure that's at least discussed in universe, considering that most of the time we're focused on her she's squaring off against someone who can, and will, just rush her down (Tokoyami in the sports festival, Aizawa during the exam, Kendo in the A v B fight earlier this season). We also see that she's getting faster at making stuff as the series goes on (she could barely make a shield against Tokoyami but can easily make a full-sized cannon when fighting Kendo).

But yeah, she needs something like Aizawa's binding cloths or something.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Just be like that gas guy and carry a gun.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This felt like a good episode! I'm a little confused though what exactly Shoto's costume is supposed to do. Bakugou's and Deku's both help enhance their abilities or help focus it; but as far as I'm aware Shoto can go at max ability with or without it?