Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It seems like the Godtuner attunes itself to the dream essence of bosses, as Hornet's dream nail dialogue indicates she's dreaming of her fight with you as well, but isn't sure whose dream it is.

I think you'd need amazing reflexes and timing to successfully dream nail the Mantis Lords, but they might have different dialogue as well. Well, assuming you even could get the Dream Nail before fighting them- No, it seems valid, you don't need to fight them for the Claw.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I love the arenas the Godhome fights take place in. They blend the original boss arena and the Godhome room really well.

I think the godseekers might have been attuning themselves to all the bosses independently of what you were doing? Seeking out all Hallownest's strongest beings, which also happen to be all these people you've killed. I guess I'm mostly basing this on the fact that since you never fought the nailmasters, their fights can't be based on the knight's memories.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the Godseekers by their own words are trying to worship these beings of hallownest... for what reasons, well i'm sure nat will figure it out, while making yorkshire tea cry.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If we're going to Dirtmouth next time, then I know what's coming and I am so ready

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Elder Hu's basically a test of how well you understand the dash mechanic. Once you have Shade Cloak it becomes a lot easier. It's also a pretty good fight to use Shape of Unn in, since it lets you move around while healing.

Howling Wraiths does stall you in place for a fair amount of time, and I believe it doesn't have a whole lot of invincibility frames, so it is a bit of a risk to use.

I love how covered in paint Sheo's arena gets.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

fractalairduct posted:

Elder Hu's basically a test of how well you understand the dash mechanic. Once you have Shade Cloak it becomes a lot easier. It's also a pretty good fight to use Shape of Unn in, since it lets you move around while healing.

Howling Wraiths does stall you in place for a fair amount of time, and I believe it doesn't have a whole lot of invincibility frames, so it is a bit of a risk to use.

I love how covered in paint Sheo's arena gets.

I've never seen that Sheo fight before. Very cool. Has there been a return visit to their home/studio to see if advancements in the plot have caused their work to change in any meaningful way?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Dareon posted:

It seems like the Godtuner attunes itself to the dream essence of bosses, as Hornet's dream nail dialogue indicates she's dreaming of her fight with you as well, but isn't sure whose dream it is.

I think you'd need amazing reflexes and timing to successfully dream nail the Mantis Lords, but they might have different dialogue as well. Well, assuming you even could get the Dream Nail before fighting them- No, it seems valid, you don't need to fight them for the Claw.

You don't need the claw for the dream nail. You can buy the lantern and then fall down into the resting grounds without the claw, but you do need it for the crystal dash. I saw a playthrough where they got the dream nail this early organically, then tried it myself to see what unique dream nail dialogue you can get.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

EricFate posted:

I've never seen that Sheo fight before. Very cool. Has there been a return visit to their home/studio to see if advancements in the plot have caused their work to change in any meaningful way?

Nope. Perhaps Nat should go and find out? I've never gone to see Sheo after doing Godhome before.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think Nat should definitely go and pay Sheo another visit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Flukemarm was in the original release of the game, and is also a huge pain in the rear end if you only have a level 1 or 2 Nail.

Also Nat is missing two Charm Notches. One from beating Grimm, and one in a room in Fog Canyon that he stepped into and immediately left without actually exploring.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Flukemarm was in the original release of the game, and is also a huge pain in the rear end if you only have a level 1 or 2 Nail.

Oh yeah. Pogoing Flukemarm is a powerful strategy as long as you can easily handle the flukes, but when they take more than one hit to take down the fight gets really hectic. Crossing that power threshold is a big thing for this fight, and obviously with a pure nail and Unbreakable Strength, Nat basically overpowers everything now.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Since all I have left for full completion is the pantheons, NKG and the other endings, I've decided to try completing a Steel Soul run at 100%+ under 20 hours.

I died at the first Soul Warrior fight.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Solitair posted:

Since all I have left for full completion is the pantheons, NKG and the other endings, I've decided to try completing a Steel Soul run at 100%+ under 20 hours.

I died at the first Soul Warrior fight.

Wait until you meet the Watcher knights. I actually just finally did a steel soul run, finishing up the speedrun achievements I never did, like finish under 5 hours and 100% in 20 hours too. A lot more stressful in a steel soul run.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Magnificent! Zote kicked my rear end hard when I fought him.

Now that you've fought him, and it's no longer spoilers, it's not actually necessary to do the re-fights to unlock the awoken dream nail. The Roots, Warriors and Zote are combined worth 1882 Essence, so you would probably have ended up leaving all the other dream bosses until last, had you rescued Bretta immediately after getting the mantis claw.

EDIT: Also I love Tea complaining that if there's one thing you should have learned by now, it's that you need to pay attention. The minute you walked in that room and Tea said "OK. so..." with a dramatic pause I was literally thinking to myself "Tea, Nat's gonna pick it up if you don't explicitly tell him not to".

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 26, 2021

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Reveilled posted:

EDIT: Also I love Tea complaining that if there's one thing you should have learned by now, it's that you need to pay attention.

Yeah what's he even on about, Nat found the shiny thing just fine! :angel:

I did watch it over a couple times to spot the creepy face, is there anything else to really spot if you wait and look around some more? Still got no idea yet what to really make of this blue stuff, as an overall thing

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Grey Prince Zote is such a good boss fight! Keeps the pressure up, very mobile, and really satisfying to beat, or even just to watch someone fight him well.

The fact that he's using the moveset of the Zote joke bossfight in the arena, but modified to be actually dangerous, is icing on the cake. So it's technically in the vein of the other dream battles, where you're fighting a more dangerous version of an existing boss!

One more thing for your to-do list: get the rest of the charms! There's only three left and the fact you've got this far without ever picking up deep focus is oddly distressing to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Grey Prince Zote is one of the best fights in the game and at this point I'm convinced that people just don't know how you're supposed to approach the fight. It's a purely reactive affair, don't try to guess what he's going to do next!

Also there is more in the Weaver's Den, but it's behind a breakable wall and you probably won't care what's in there.

E:

Tenebrais posted:

One more thing for your to-do list: get the rest of the charms! There's only three left and the fact you've got this far without ever picking up deep focus is oddly distressing to me.

I actually had to look up this charm's location on my last playthrough lol. Not sure how I found it the first time around!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 27, 2021

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tenebrais posted:

In my own playthrough I just found a different charm that Nat had managed to miss somehow, Glowing Womb. Man that was freaky to get to on a late night game session. :gonk: Especially when my Crossroads hasn't got fully infected yet, so it was great eerie foreshadowing of where it was getting started.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
For those interested in the Precepts of Zote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPAefc9-cuQ&t=736s

Video is safe for Nat or others wishing to avoid spoilers, at most he might have one or two charms Nat doesn't have yet, and that's only an issue if you watch him fight Grey Prince Zote.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Reveilled posted:

EDIT: Also I love Tea complaining that if there's one thing you should have learned by now, it's that you need to pay attention. The minute you walked in that room and Tea said "OK. so..." with a dramatic pause I was literally thinking to myself "Tea, Nat's gonna pick it up if you don't explicitly tell him not to".

Well if there's one thing Tea should have learned, is if he wants Nat to notice something, he should yell "STOP!"

Still upset that he didn't get Nat to sit on the Throne.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah what's he even on about, Nat found the shiny thing just fine! :angel:

I did watch it over a couple times to spot the creepy face, is there anything else to really spot if you wait and look around some more? Still got no idea yet what to really make of this blue stuff, as an overall thing

No, but the implication is that this area, and most likely all of the lifeblood, are the dream of that thing, in the same way greenpath is the dream of Unn

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

No, but the implication is that this area, and most likely all of the lifeblood, are the dream of that thing, in the same way greenpath is the dream of Unn

So what is Joni's connection with that thing?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AtomikKrab posted:

:shrug:

Joni was a Kickstarter backer, whatever that implies for their enmeshment in the world

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Can't believe that Nat didn't want to go through the 57 Precepts for episode 57. Impressive boss fight, though -- Zote can be quite a pain because of how unpredictable he is.

I'm sure Tea already has a list of things to do in the postgame, but here's two more I hope you can find the time for: Bringing a flower to Elderbug (probably easiest to do before completing the quest), and the Eternal Ordeal in Godhome. I really want to see Nat's reaction to the Eternal Ordeal.

Also, some charm combinations that are worth showing:
Shape of Unn with Spore Shroom or Baldur Shell or both.
Shape of Unn with Deep Focus, if you pick that one up.
Glowing Womb with Defender's Crest, if you pick up Glowing Womb.
Flukenest with Defender's Crest.
Also just Flukenest, Weaversong and Glowing Womb on their own.

AtomikKrab posted:

She's called a heretic in the description for Joni's Blessing, so perhaps she worshipped it instead of whatever gods it would be "proper" for her to worship?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

re Lifeblood, spoilers for Godhome: And then there's what happens when you start doing the bindings, you unlock a door where you can see that same creature, and lifeblood veins starts to creep into Godhome. And Godhome is also another dream. So yeah, it's probably some kind of otherworldly entity?

Which has some interesting implication re Godseeker. Godseeker is uh, seeking out gods, but there's one door that is locked pretty securely, you have to do at least 8 bindings to unlock it, and bindings could be taken to be meaning binding the knight's abilities, but it could be also taken to mean to be binding the the lifeblood thing? Godseeker fears the lifeblood creature enough to bind it away behind a door?

Also I would love to hear Nat's thoughts on that Flukenest charm at some point too. Weaversong too, it's one of my favourite charm.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 27, 2021

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Also still need to see the remaining dream bosses. It's just White Defender and Failed Champion left, right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Also still need to see the remaining dream bosses. It's just White Defender and Failed Champion left, right?

and nightmare king :yeshaha:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Marluxia posted:

Wait until you meet the Watcher knights. I actually just finally did a steel soul run, finishing up the speedrun achievements I never did, like finish under 5 hours and 100% in 20 hours too. A lot more stressful in a steel soul run.

Now that I think about it, I might need to alter the route I found online to pick up Rancid Eggs since you can sell them with Steel Soul on.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yorkshire Tea posted:

One the one hand you have the Pandemonium Circus on the left-hand side, and [...] you've basically got the bug equivalent to Alan Partridge to the right, and poor Elderbug in the middle
So, what you're saying is, there's clowns to the left of him, jokers to the right, and he's stuck in the middle with you?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nat, if you manage to complete the Delicate Flower Quest in one go, then I can only conclude that you've been pulling off an elaborate troll with your mis-navigation.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Nat, if you manage to complete the Delicate Flower Quest in one go, then I can only conclude that you've been pulling off an elaborate troll with your mis-navigation.

Just watch, Nat will end up visiting every room in the game without getting hit and complete the quest, and pretend it was just due to bad navigation skills.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's smart to use Farore's Wind, but that wasn't the right button combo to set a warp point, you were trying to travel to your warp point

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nicely done.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
How
the
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do Trial of the Fool in one try

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Nat, you absolutely crushed that.

Well loving done.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Impressive as usual. But I suspect we already know what the next two videos will be.

Also, I kinda assumed you had long since forgotten about the Dreamgate :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A lot of the challenge of the Colosseum comes from getting overwhelmed by enemies, so it gets exponentially easier as your damage output goes up.

That said, I feel like it's balanced around basically an end game loadout so Nat still crushed that.