Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Some people lubricate their FEP. I bought some 3 in 1 PTFE as recommended, but I've never tried it since I haven't had problems with stuff stick to the FEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bucnasti posted:

Some people lubricate their FEP. I bought some 3 in 1 PTFE as recommended, but I've never tried it since I haven't had problems with stuff stick to the FEP

I've heard that but I figure I need to get away from a 100% failure rate before lubing up.

Randalor posted:

I just got my Mars 2 not too long ago, and am on the first film, but did you remove the protective coating from borh sides of the FEP film?

Yep.

It occurred to me that the one semi-successful print I had was the one closest to the edge of the build plate. I'm gonna print something in the four corners rather than the centre, perhaps I hosed up sanding it flat. :peanut:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

lol if the little extruding tab of the whambam plate is facing the front of the printer it can catch on the vat going down. I happened to be watching it so slightly gouged the vat and flung a bit of resin out but didn't break the fep or screen thank gently caress. That would have been a fun cap to the day.

e:

A rook in each corner worked! I forgot to put a couple in the centre to see if they would fail while the ones in the corners worked tho.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 24, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Eediot Jedi posted:

lol if the little extruding tab of the whambam plate is facing the front of the printer it can catch on the vat going down. I happened to be watching it so slightly gouged the vat and flung a bit of resin out but didn't break the fep or screen thank gently caress. That would have been a fun cap to the day.

e:

A rook in each corner worked! I forgot to put a couple in the centre to see if they would fail while the ones in the corners worked tho.

This has happened to me and it sucks. Flipped resin back into the motor housing for the z axis

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

The hot water trick is great for getting off heavy supports, but the truth is that, for miniatures, if you have to use this technique then it means the model is way oversupported. I'm finding all the pre-supported models released by kickstarters/patreons are starting to appear with more and more supports lately, mostly likely because people have crap-tuned resin printers and then cry about stuff not printing. It's getting so bad I actually just do all my own supports now. If done correctly there should never be any cleanup of support marks required on the model.

That's my thinking as well, I generally prefer unsupported minis so I can orient them however I want before adding supports. A lot of pre-supported minis are either of the "just rotate it back by about 45 degrees", which often ruins any details on the back of the figure; or some weird orientation that may have worked for the seller when they did a test print but prints like garbage on my printer. And many of them are definitely oversupported, often with so many supports in some areas that the supports end up literally fused together, making them harder to remove cleanly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

E: two posts in a row :v:

w00tmonger posted:

This has happened to me and it sucks. Flipped resin back into the motor housing for the z axis

Same here as well, though it's only happened on my Mars 2 thus far (and Elegoo sent me a replacement Z-axis motor and leadscrew since it was still under warranty). It seems that the clearance between the flex plate's tab and the vat on the Mars 2 is much tighter than it is on my other printers, as I haven't had this problem yet (knocks on wood) with my OG Mars, Photon Mono, Saturn, or Sonic Mighty. So if the vat isn't repositioned in just the right spot in the Mars 2, it'll cause that problem. Thankfully that's not an issue with the vats for the two bigger printers (because of how they screw down and hold the vat), but I still keep a close eye on 'em when they're printing. :pray:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My flex plate caught on the lip of the vat for the second time yesterday and made a nice mess, but by far the worst flex plate disaster that happened to me so far was on my Mars2 Pro where the plate was a little bit too far to the right and caught on the vat screw. This actually caused the plate to tilt (despite being tightened) and before I could see what was happening the plate edge pushed into the machine's screen and broke it. Those vat screws on the Mars2 Pro are a horrible design and it's actually the second time I've had a plate do this to me now (first time was during levelling and luckily I shut the machine off before it could push the plate into the screen).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Figured I'd post these guys here, too, since they were smelly goo in a bottle a week ago. 20 Grave Guard for my Gravelords army.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Figured I'd post these guys here, too, since they were smelly goo in a bottle a week ago. 20 Grave Guard for my Gravelords army.
Those are cool, both the paintjob and the sculpts. Who made those?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

They're by Monstrous Encounters: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-barrow-wights-unit-129779

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yeah, just finished two platoons for SW Chain of Command, all 3d printed.

Special thanks to FFG being so loving expensive they got me to decided to just get a 3d printer instead of paying for the pleasure of using their models for a different, better game.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

SW Chain of Command

I literally had not heard of this until just now :stare:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

w00tmonger posted:

welp I probably should've looked for that.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: two posts in a row :v:

Same here as well, though it's only happened on my Mars 2 thus far (and Elegoo sent me a replacement Z-axis motor and leadscrew since it was still under warranty). It seems that the clearance between the flex plate's tab and the vat on the Mars 2 is much tighter than it is on my other printers, as I haven't had this problem yet (knocks on wood) with my OG Mars, Photon Mono, Saturn, or Sonic Mighty. So if the vat isn't repositioned in just the right spot in the Mars 2, it'll cause that problem. Thankfully that's not an issue with the vats for the two bigger printers (because of how they screw down and hold the vat), but I still keep a close eye on 'em when they're printing. :pray:

I don't think the vat is centered to the buildplate in the mars2. Putting the tab on the flexplate facing forwards is loving tight clearance to the vat, putting the tab facing the rear looks close but not as hairy.

:siren: anyhow printer woes update :siren:

it was just a levelling issue after all :v:. Tightening the second screw on the head, I went just a lil bit more tight than usual and suddenly it was slack again. That, or an alternate levelling method of using two a4 sheets works better for me. IDK it's magic I hope this level lasts a good long time with the flex plates.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Barring another serious gently caress up or replacing a component, you shouldnt have to relevel anytime soon.

The flex plates mean you won't be in a position where your putting some dumb amount of force on it to get parts off

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I literally had not heard of this until just now :stare:

What is Star Wars Chain of Command? Google is only turning up the card game.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bucnasti posted:

Chain of command is one of the better platoon level WW2 tabletop games. There are some fan-made versions of it, including Star Wars and 40K.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

lilljonas posted:

Chain of command is one of the better platoon level WW2 tabletop games. There are some fan-made versions of it, including Star Wars and 40K.

Just to add to this, it's made by a small British company called Too Fat Lardies, who I first heard of through their game What a Tanker! (their version of a tank skirmish/dueling game), and though I'd heard of Chain of Command, I hadn't heard of the SW mod for it. Or the 40k mod, either. :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've ended up with a spare Mannfred von Carstein - Just the guy, not his mount. For reference, this is what he looks like:

Can anyone recommend a suitable 3d printed mount for him? Doesn't have to match the aesthetics of his GW mount - In fact, that thing is goofy as gently caress, so probably better if it doesn't - But something suitable for a vampire lord to ride, and preferably easy to convert to take a rider if it doesn't already.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Bucnasti posted:

If you look on Facebook there's a group that has the homebrew platoon force ratings and support lists. They got the Rebellion era ones and are tweaking a Clone Wars list now. There's also a full conversion for Combat Patrol (a different WWII platoon game) that's pretty good also. You can download that directly from that game's website.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone recommend a suitable 3d printed mount for him? Doesn't have to match the aesthetics of his GW mount - In fact, that thing is goofy as gently caress, so probably better if it doesn't - But something suitable for a vampire lord to ride, and preferably easy to convert to take a rider if it doesn't already.
Check out Dragon Trapper's Lodge models. Every month they release at least one unique mount that comes separate from the rider.

Also, comedy option Rooster mount (also Dragon's Trappers)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Geisladisk posted:

I've ended up with a spare Mannfred von Carstein - Just the guy, not his mount. For reference, this is what he looks like:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4671351

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Speaking of animals - anyone come across any nice STL's for pack animals? Looking for mules, donkeys, camels, elephants, whatever with baggage on them.

This is for historical gaming so nothing fantastical por favor.

edit: also 28mm or re-scalable to 28mm.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

Speaking of animals - anyone come across any nice STL's for pack animals? Looking for mules, donkeys, camels, elephants, whatever with baggage on them.

This is for historical gaming so nothing fantastical por favor.

edit: also 28mm or re-scalable to 28mm.
This guy has a few https://www.myminifactory.com/users/critgames
Here's another https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-horse-trainer-horse-c-donkey-174310

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Back when Age of Sigmar first came out, I was never really interested in it but I did kind of like the look of the Sigmarines.

Fast forward to today, and between OnePageRules having their Age of Fantasy rules (with an army book for not-AoS Sigmar dudes) and Raging Heroes having their not-Sigmarines during their July Patreon, I now have four hammer-and-shield wielding troops printed and ready to get started on. Hopefully pics to follow soon :v:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Class Warcraft posted:

Not to poo poo on this idea but just want to make sure you’re not wasting your money: Does the person doing the scanning have 3D sculpting skills or access to very high-end scanning equipment? I ask because unless he has like 5k worth of equipment the scan is likely to be a blob approximately the shape of your model that then needs to have significant amount of work done to make it look right. You might need to fund at least one scan yourself before launching the KS to show folks what the outcome will look like, because some will be wary (I would be).

I agree one should be cautious with 3d scanning but isn't it getting a lot better? A buddy of mine is using off the shelf software, his smartphone, and a turntable to get results like this basically just for fun testing on a boardgame he bought recently. Commercial quality? Definitely not, but I'd imagine someone with a decent prosumer set-up could get even better results - heck, it picked up the moldline on the bottom of the dwarf's axe.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

parabolic posted:

I agree one should be cautious with 3d scanning but isn't it getting a lot better? A buddy of mine is using off the shelf software, his smartphone, and a turntable to get results like this basically just for fun testing on a boardgame he bought recently. Commercial quality? Definitely not, but I'd imagine someone with a decent prosumer set-up could get even better results - heck, it picked up the moldline on the bottom of the dwarf's axe.

This is lightyears better than anything I’ve seen using a phone. Can I ask what setup they’re using?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wellllllll now show just the raw model (i.e. no texture applied) because that's what will be getting printed.

Even a model made out of a few rear end-quality polygons can look amazing with the texture image applied.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Class Warcraft posted:

This is lightyears better than anything I’ve seen using a phone. Can I ask what setup they’re using?

He uses https://www.capturingreality.com/, blender, and unity. You have to pay for CR with a point system unfortunately but it's not horribly expensive.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Wellllllll now show just the raw model (i.e. no texture applied) because that's what will be getting printed.

Even a model made out of a few rear end-quality polygons can look amazing with the texture image applied.

And OK, I'm not trying to prove you can produce commercial level .stls from an effortless scan. I've seen multiple times in 3d printing communities people totally counting out 3d scanning tech as if they're not printing on resin printers that pretty much either sucked or were insanely expensive 5-10 years ago.

e: ok yeah I talked to him more and the textures are doing heavy lifting for sure, I'll admit I'm out of my depth and may have spoken out of turn. My only point was I wouldn't count 3d scanning out forever, it's cool to check in now and again on their progress.

parabolic fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 28, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

parabolic posted:

e: ok yeah I talked to him more and the textures are doing heavy lifting for sure, I'll admit I'm out of my depth and may have spoken out of turn. My only point was I wouldn't count 3d scanning out forever, it's cool to check in now and again on their progress.

Oh for sure. I expect in a couple years it'll start catching up to where 3D printers are in terms of ability and accessibility and that'll be pretty loving rad to be able to just scan something and duplicate it on demand.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

parabolic posted:

He uses https://www.capturingreality.com/, blender, and unity. You have to pay for CR with a point system unfortunately but it's not horribly expensive.

And OK, I'm not trying to prove you can produce commercial level .stls from an effortless scan. I've seen multiple times in 3d printing communities people totally counting out 3d scanning tech as if they're not printing on resin printers that pretty much either sucked or were insanely expensive 5-10 years ago.

Honestly, the fact that you can get that from a phone is absolutely amazing!

But :yosbutt: since it's the 3D printing tabletop thread -- and for no other reason -- I wanted to point out that a textured scan looks way better than it "is" 3d-model-wise.

That being said, I have been half-following OpenScan https://www.openscan.eu/ and the OpenScan Mini is in fact specifically designed to scan small objects like minis at high detail, so there is that.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
How quickly is the printer scene evolving? It seems that there’s been a big move in resolution lately. Will that keep going and where does it end? And how quickly are prices coming down?

From the outside it looks like it’s at a tipping point from pro to enthusiast and just about to reach home consumers. Or maybe I’m just projecting my experience from other devices.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That kickstarter for knockoff Nighthaunt which got a copyright claim from GW is back, minus a few units. Honestly a surprise I thought it was gone for good given some of the designs were a little more than inspired by the nighthaunt.

Beffer posted:

How quickly is the printer scene evolving? It seems that there’s been a big move in resolution lately. Will that keep going and where does it end? And how quickly are prices coming down?

From the outside it looks like it’s at a tipping point from pro to enthusiast and just about to reach home consumers. Or maybe I’m just projecting my experience from other devices.

???

The trend seems to be going towards keeping roughly the same resolution as now but increasing the build size. They are saying 4K resolution this and that but spread that out over a larger screen area, so the actual resolution mostly stays the same. The last big development was moving from RGB screens to mono screens, which let through significantly more UV light for significantly faster print times. It seems like minor upgrades on the horizon with nothing revolutionary. The elegoo saturn was officially released a year ago, with a mono screen, bigger plate area with budget price but wasn't readily available until recently. So I'd guess every year there's something to look forward to?

Elegoo is about to release a mars 3 which has better resolution than the previous best hobby machine but probably not enough difference to justify an upgrade unless you have specific use requirements. It has a small build plate.

Phrozen is about to release a loving huuuuuuge 8K machine with slightly better than current average resolution but it looks slow as dogshit, due to its enormous size and price you'd need very specific use requirements to justify it over a saturn and if you bought that as your entry into 3d printing you're actually insane.

From my own experience just joining 3d resin printing it's not going to go mainstream until resin is safe, easy to work with and dispose of and the troubleshooting is easier. It's still firmly in enthusiast territory though it looks a lot easier than years past with higher speeds, more knowledge, lower prices.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Beffer posted:

The higher resolution stuff is mostly a marketing gimmick imo. The resolution capable by regular 2k LCDs is already so detailed that you can easily rival any detail level that traditional miniatures are capable of. I've said this before, but I still can't find a scientific test of any kind that can show the difference between a 4k and 2k screen of the same size. Obviously for the larger screen sizes the higher resolution is useful, and as already pointed out above the trend seems to be bigger and bigger machines.

In terms of pricing, what more do you want? A "big brand" monochrome machine can already be purchased for less than $300 US, and there's others available that are sub $200. If you're printing miniatures resin prices are basically a non-issue at this point since a typical 32mm mini will cost you around 15 cents to print.

All that said, resin printing isn't going to be a home consumer thing ever. Obviously if you are into miniatures or other very specific hobbies it might become a must-have product, but for everyday use it's too messy, smelly, toxic, and of limited use.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Any advice on printing bases? These are just 40x25mm with 1mm lips around the edges but this is the third time they've failed to print. I've relevelled and even tried printing them at an angle to no avail. Don't think it's a suction issue as the base layer prints fine, it's the walls that don't form.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

Any advice on printing bases? These are just 40x25mm with 1mm lips around the edges but this is the third time they've failed to print. I've relevelled and even tried printing them at an angle to no avail. Don't think it's a suction issue as the base layer prints fine, it's the walls that don't form.

I assume you are talking about the 4 rectangle bases? Your lip is way too thin I believe. Can you bevel the outer edge of the base so it builds up to the lip rather than trying to have a super thin lip just stand on its own?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Any recommended sources or patreon for stls of non-fantasy/sci-fi etc models? I'm really into making dioramas and particularly early 20th century polar exploration and that kind of thing but I'm finding it ridiculously difficult finding models for figures/furniture/gear/basically anything. Searching for something like 'sailor' tends to bring up one poorly modeled sailor model and god-knows how many 'dwarf pirates' and 'drowned dead'.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kerro posted:

Any recommended sources or patreon for stls of non-fantasy/sci-fi etc models? I'm really into making dioramas and particularly early 20th century polar exploration and that kind of thing but I'm finding it ridiculously difficult finding models for figures/furniture/gear/basically anything. Searching for something like 'sailor' tends to bring up one poorly modeled sailor model and god-knows how many 'dwarf pirates' and 'drowned dead'.

Check out STL miniatures: https://www.patreon.com/STLMiniatures

They have a bunch of fantasy elements, but they also have a lot of stuff that might match what you're looking for. Lots of good diorama stuff even if the figures themselves are too "fantasy" for your needs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

That's one problem with the current state of miniature STLs, there's not a lot of "modern" stuff, and most of what there is, is modern/realistic military figures and vehicles. Though I think with Marvel: Crisis Protocol getting a bit more popular, that might change.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The trick to modern scenery is to search for "railroad" on thingiverse and scale up/down in your slicer depending on what you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kerro posted:

Yeah, finding non-fantasy stuff is a bit of a needle in a haystack. For little slice-of-life stuff here are a couple creators I recommend:
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/GameScape3D
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/VaeVictisMiniatures