Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sleepaway Camp was one of my first horror movies. Great find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

My hand is resting against the edge and my fingers are cupped in order to avoid touching the playing surface. I'm very good about this, but I did then knock the cleaning brush onto the record while it's playing a minute later because I'm an idiot. :gonk:

You ever feel the feeling of dropping a vinyl weight right on its edge onto a record? fun times.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

EL BROMANCE posted:

gently caress yeah, Sleepaway Camp owns.

The last scene hosed my 10 year old brain up for a significant amount of time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

beergod posted:

The last scene hosed my 10 year old brain up for a significant amount of time

I only watched it for the first time a year or so ago and that I somehow never got spoiled on the end (or managed to forget it at least) meant it was still super shocking even as an adult unphased by movies for the most part these days. I think it jumped up a whole star in my estimation because of it.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

:siren:Your hand is on the playing surface!:siren:

I bought my one year old a copy of the frozen ii soundtrack and he holds it by the grooves no matter how many times i correct him :rolleyes:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
So, we were cleaning out my mom's garage and we found a poo poo ton of vinyl. Lots of singles and some greatest hits compilations from disco and 80's pop. We wanted to listen to them, so we bought a cheapo portable turntable off of Amazon and that got my 16 year old son hooked on wanting
to collect vinyl. He started binge listening albums on Spotify like a machine, Supertramp, Black Sabbath, Beatles, The Clash, The Smiths, Steely Dan, covering pop, punk, metal, and new wave. My mom gave him her collection and he's wanting to build on it.

So we got him a nicer turntable, a Sony PSLX310BT. He's been playing some of them and they sound great on the soundbar. Today, we visited a couple of the record stores downtown and came back with some good finds.

He nearly lost his poo poo when he found Breakfast in America. He loves that album and wanted it real bad. He did some research on the Dark Side of the Moon album we found, and it's a 1975 press. It was the first one he played when we got back home and it sounds AMAZING for a record that old.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

volts5000 posted:

He nearly lost his poo poo when he found Breakfast in America. He loves that album and wanted it real bad.

This was me last month. :3 That was my favorite one of my haul that day.

Congrats on getting your kid into a cool (but often pricy) hobby! You're obligated to show him the "John Mulaney took Pete Davidson to his first Steely Dan concert" video.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Read After Burning posted:

This was me last month. :3 That was my favorite one of my haul that day.

Congrats on getting your kid into a cool (but often pricy) hobby! You're obligated to show him the "John Mulaney took Pete Davidson to his first Steely Dan concert" video.

Yeah, this was pricey, but we told him it was a reward for him getting a 4 on his AP exam. So it worked out.

This should hold him over for a good while.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

volts5000 posted:

Yeah, this was pricey, but we told him it was a reward for him getting a 4 on his AP exam. So it worked out.

This should hold him over for a good while.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Considering I started buying vinyl as a kid in the 80’s, I’ve never bought a box set.

That was until today, when I picked up this beauty.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1419055416026177536?s=19

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Turbinosamente, thanks for the Herb record! And the Sparks CD! And the postcard!

But I guess there’s a game that workers in the Post Office’s sorting centers play, where they really show customers who deign to tell them how to do their jobs, as someone went out of their way to destroy this package.

Unlike marjorie’s Aretha records, though, Herb did not survive the assault.

That underpaid, overworked guy or gal or nonbinary person sure showed us. It isn’t healthy to daydream about hunting them down and breaking their limbs, but it would be so funny, because they’re begging me not to break their arm, and I’m breaking it anyway. Isn’t that hilarious? It’s really really funny when someone asks you not to do something and you do it anyway. Because we’re all children.

Thank you so much for the gifts, Turbinosamente. I got a Sparks CD out of it and that’s something. :cool:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I bought my one year old a copy of the frozen ii soundtrack and he holds it by the grooves no matter how many times i correct him :rolleyes:

You can have kids or you can have records but you can't have both. You backed the wrong horse.

pwn posted:

Turbinosamente, thanks for the Herb record! And the Sparks CD! And the postcard!

But I guess there’s a game that workers in the Post Office’s sorting centers play, where they really show customers who deign to tell them how to do their jobs, as someone went out of their way to destroy this package.

That underpaid, overworked guy or gal or nonbinary person sure showed us. It isn’t healthy to daydream about hunting them down and breaking their limbs, but it would be so funny, because they’re begging me not to break their arm, and I’m breaking it anyway. Isn’t that hilarious? It’s really really funny when someone asks you not to do something and you do it anyway. Because we’re all children.

Thank you so much for the gifts, Turbinosamente. I got a Sparks CD out of it and that’s something. :cool:

Where's Buster Keaton avatar lady, I want to see that footage of the postal worker bending the records over his knee.

pwn
May 27, 2004

That’s marjorie, the poster i referenced. It wasn’t my postman, in all likelihood, since I live in a building with a mailroom for packages.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like this will ever catch on

E) God Nonesuch was the coolest label back when their specialties were budget priced baroque music, world music field recordings, and early electronic avant-garde experimental compositions

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 25, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Garage sale pickups from today:

The Turn-Ups record is still sealed. It's some garage punk album from the early 80s that's worth surprisingly little.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

The Turn-Ups record is still sealed. It's some garage punk album from the early 80s that's worth surprisingly little.

You'll never find anything in a garage. You need to go to a barn.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Opinion question: I sold a sealed copy of a new release on Discogs, and per the buyer it has “significant surface noise throughout both records as well as skips on two tracks”.

Do I just let him return it, and I guess try and get a new copy from the label? Do I tell him to get a new copy from the label?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

lament.cfg posted:

Opinion question: I sold a sealed copy of a new release on Discogs, and per the buyer it has “significant surface noise throughout both records as well as skips on two tracks”.

Do I just let him return it, and I guess try and get a new copy from the label? Do I tell him to get a new copy from the label?

I just sent off a Mint record and am worried about this because I’ve never played it so I’ve thought about it. My first option would be to provide the order number because labels or businesses usually want the order number and video of the issue and have them go through the process so that they get the order right away and it doesn’t need to go to me than them. If they don’t want to do that I’ll just refund and do it myself after they send it back.

dorium fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 25, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

wa27 posted:

BIG IRON, BIG IRON

Still on the lookout for that album. Nice score!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

volts5000 posted:

So, we were cleaning out my mom's garage and we found a poo poo ton of vinyl. Lots of singles and some greatest hits compilations from disco and 80's pop. We wanted to listen to them, so we bought a cheapo portable turntable off of Amazon and that got my 16 year old son hooked on wanting
to collect vinyl. He started binge listening albums on Spotify like a machine, Supertramp, Black Sabbath, Beatles, The Clash, The Smiths, Steely Dan, covering pop, punk, metal, and new wave. My mom gave him her collection and he's wanting to build on it.

So we got him a nicer turntable, a Sony PSLX310BT. He's been playing some of them and they sound great on the soundbar. Today, we visited a couple of the record stores downtown and came back with some good finds.

He nearly lost his poo poo when he found Breakfast in America. He loves that album and wanted it real bad. He did some research on the Dark Side of the Moon album we found, and it's a 1975 press. It was the first one he played when we got back home and it sounds AMAZING for a record that old.
Hard to go wrong with The Clash

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I can stop buying records now, I've peaked

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

internet celebrity posted:

:envy:

But do you have this:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Argh godamnit! The universe really does not want you to have the loving embrace of Herb Alpert, gently caress. I wondered if writing the old "please do not fold or bend" on would curse it and welp there it is. I'm sorry that that happened I thought I had packed it securely enough. But at least the Sparks made it just fine and you can be part of the cool kid's club now? :unsmith:

Now I'm worried because my order of Overpass from STS shipped and not only do I have problems with sending things apparently I've had a whole cavalcade of order mix-ups of stuff I've ordered for me. :ohdear:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I found my Adam and the ants lp to dig out what came with it when I bought it and found some other things too

Some classical albums with kind of cool covers

These ones

And there’s the kings of the wild frontier. It had someone’s photograph of a concert promotion in the jacket. And that catalog, but that might be in all of them.

That’s my story of the day

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I found my Adam and the ants lp to dig out what came with it when I bought it and found some other things too

Some classical albums with kind of cool covers

These ones

And there’s the kings of the wild frontier. It had someone’s photograph of a concert promotion in the jacket. And that catalog, but that might be in all of them.

That’s my story of the day

Every single one of these are intriguing album covers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Next step:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Argh godamnit! The universe really does not want you to have the loving embrace of Herb Alpert, gently caress. I wondered if writing the old "please do not fold or bend" on would curse it and welp there it is. I'm sorry that that happened I thought I had packed it securely enough. But at least the Sparks made it just fine and you can be part of the cool kid's club now? :unsmith:

The theory was brought to my attention last night that one should write messages such as, “Happy Birthday” and like that on the packaging, to maybe appeal to the angry gods of the sorting centers to have mercy. I dunno. I am digging the Sparks album, lesser though it may be.

:supaburn:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that Boulez Daphnis et Chloe recording is *really* good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Latest mallsoft grabs:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Found a nice signed copy of a new seekers album at goodwill for $1.

Found it at a goodwill in South Elgin, IL not for from where it was recorded in Countryside, IL.

The other copies for sale on discogs also say it's signed so I'm not sure if they were signing it as part of their tour or possibly it came from someone who worked at the studio?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dorium posted:

I just sent off a Mint record and am worried about this because I’ve never played it so I’ve thought about it. My first option would be to provide the order number because labels or businesses usually want the order number and video of the issue and have them go through the process so that they get the order right away and it doesn’t need to go to me than them. If they don’t want to do that I’ll just refund and do it myself after they send it back.

As an update, "the second time he played it" after I asked for video, the skips went away. Now it's just a noisy pressing, per everyone's comments on it (VMP Deloused). I don't want to refund on this, kinda stupid to come at me for.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

lament.cfg posted:

As an update, "the second time he played it" after I asked for video, the skips went away. Now it's just a noisy pressing, per everyone's comments on it (VMP Deloused). I don't want to refund on this, kinda stupid to come at me for.

I have it and can confirm there is baseline noise on the pressing, such is the trend of fancy vinyl colours/bullshit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

midge posted:

I have it and can confirm there is baseline noise on the pressing, such is the trend of fancy vinyl colours/bullshit.

ah yep. i got the same deloused pressing and already asked for a replacement. I'll probably end up buying it again on standard black. real stupid shame vmp doesnt think about this stuff before hand.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

ah yep. i got the same deloused pressing and already asked for a replacement. I'll probably end up buying it again on standard black. real stupid shame vmp doesnt think about this stuff before hand.

Most people aren't going to complain because they think you're supposed to hear surface noise because "It's part of the experience.", half the people buying the poo poo are resellers, and the rest are listening to it on Crosleys.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A good cleaning might help

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The answer, my friend, is ropin' in the wind

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

petit choux posted:

The answer, my friend, is ropin' in the wind

Against the wind
We were ropin' against the wind
We were young and strong, we were ropin' agaaaaainst the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

CPL593H posted:

Most people aren't going to complain because they think you're supposed to hear surface noise because "It's part of the experience.", half the people buying the poo poo are resellers, and the rest are listening to it on Crosleys.

On this particular album I don't find it detracts too much from the music, it's complimentary on some tracks. I don't feel the need to ask for a replacement since it's down to the material of the disc - a replacement is gonna have the same issue.