Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

TBF that’s an intracity gas station and is like one of the most expensive in the city. It’s not THAT bad elsewhere… since you’re lumping the whole state in your derision.

:argh: millennials!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is making me feel a lot better about NZ$2.34/L for 91RON.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah that's one of those wacky gas stations like the ones near an airport. The one near my place, also in SF but in a residential area, is $4.30/gal ($1.13/L) for regular.

California is consistently more expensive than the rest of the country, too, because California has its own special blend of gas just for this state's air pollution requirements.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

"Oh hey that's over by the Utah! loving expensive over there."

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

There are new signs up at petrol stations in the UK.

"E10 is coming soon. If you're not sure if your car/bike can handle E10, you'll still be able to purchase E5."

10% ethanol petrol will be the "regular" petrol at petrol stations. 5% ethanol will be the premium stuff, which they haven't stated outright because it would annoy customers.

I am not sure which I will swap Bob to using, currently I fill the tank with regular E5, but that will no longer exist soon enough.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So if you have an old bike over there, do you just change all your fuel system o-rings to viton or what

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

California is so bad that the EIA has a category for the west coast MINUS California.

https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Phy posted:

So if you have an old bike over there, do you just change all your fuel system o-rings to viton or what

It's almost impossible to get non-ethanol gasoline in the USA and Canada and old bikes run fine here.

Like I don't doubt that ethanol can cause problems for fuel systems, but I think it's far less of a problem than internet greybeards make it out to be. Old motorcycles don't have particularly complicated fueling systems anyway. There's a tank, a petcock, a couple of hoses, and the carburetors. Whoop de doo.

My favorite hilarious exception is those Aprilias (and some Ducatis?) with plastic gas tanks that swell up from ethanol enough that the bolt holes move and the tank doesn't fit in the frame. But that's just :italy:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It's almost impossible to get non-ethanol gasoline in the USA and Canada and old bikes run fine here.

I've been filling up the Rex with Shell Premium specifically because of its 0 ethanol content! Of course, there's still ethanol getting into the tank from whatever was in the line between the pump and nozzle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phy posted:

I've been filling up the Rex with Shell Premium specifically because of its 0 ethanol content!

Not in California it isn't! Yaaaay mandatory fuel oxygenation! Thank you CARB!

There are literally 24 gas stations in the entire state of 40 million people that provide ethanol-free gasoline, and half of those only have it as 100-octane racing fuel.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

:ca:

e: if you have an old bike without catalytic converters, avgas has no ethanol in it. It's $5.50 a gallon and it still contains lead and I can't imagine the world of poo poo you'd be in if you were caught using it on the road. But it's got no ethanol :shepface:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 23, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Carteret posted:

California is so bad that the EIA has a category for the west coast MINUS California.

https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

Lol californians

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I guess it's a benefit of living on/around islands but there are multiple stations nearby with dedicated ethanol free pumps.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

I'm so jealous. I'd kill to be able to ride somewhere I could look at a castle.

It gets boring pretty quickly - I've lived within 5 miles of the Tower of London my entire life and mostly I just think "If they got rid of that loving moat, this junction would flow so much better".

It is nice to know that as a resident of Tower Hamlets that I'm entitled to seek shelter in it if the French ever try their luck again though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Like I don't doubt that ethanol can cause problems for fuel systems, but I think it's far less of a problem than internet greybeards make it out to be. Old motorcycles don't have particularly complicated fueling systems anyway. There's a tank, a petcock, a couple of hoses, and the carburetors. Whoop de doo.

My favorite hilarious exception is those Aprilias (and some Ducatis?) with plastic gas tanks that swell up from ethanol enough that the bolt holes move and the tank doesn't fit in the frame. But that's just :italy:

I've heard that said about every brand of bike at some point and I've never actually seen it *proven* on anything other than an oldish BMW.

Most Ducatis have metal tanks, and Aprilia have a braced double-skin plastic tank, at least on the Shiver and DD, that I suppose might be their solution to that problem?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

Lol californians

This post has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It gets boring pretty quickly - I've lived within 5 miles of the Tower of London my entire life and mostly I just think "If they got rid of that loving moat, this junction would flow so much better".

It is nice to know that as a resident of Tower Hamlets that I'm entitled to seek shelter in it if the French ever try their luck again though.

I get that the novelty probably wears off, just like how people in Paris couldn't give a poo poo about the Arc de Triomphe, they're just trying to get to work and all these loving tourists are blocking their way. It probably gets old in the same way that lovely roads and cranberry bogs get old for me, but I'm enthralled because all I get are lovely roads and cranberry bogs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

I get that the novelty probably wears off, just like how people in Paris couldn't give a poo poo about the Arc de Triomphe, they're just trying to get to work and all these loving tourists are blocking their way. It probably gets old in the same way that lovely roads and cranberry bogs get old for me, but I'm enthralled because all I get are lovely roads and cranberry bogs.

I'll never get sick of random little churches that are older than the English language just sitting at the side of the road, or place names like Gweek, or any of the other weird little wonders of this terrible island full of Tories, though. Castles just leave me cold, like royal palaces and big formal parks. They're just rich people bullshit. Just find the weird little wonders of your area - they *do* exist, and more importantly they're not normally surrounded by idiots. Well, no more idiots than the background for your area.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've heard that said about every brand of bike at some point and I've never actually seen it *proven* on anything other than an oldish BMW.

Most Ducatis have metal tanks, and Aprilia have a braced double-skin plastic tank, at least on the Shiver and DD, that I suppose might be their solution to that problem?

Imagine trying to cram this plastic bastard back in its frame once the ethanol has banana'd it even more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a real thing that really exists, and it affects mostly early EFI bikes and just bullshit bikes in general.

Finger Prince posted:

Imagine trying to cram this plastic bastard back in its frame once the ethanol has banana'd it even more.

This was the example I came to post lol

It's not great for carbs either but it also isn't a problem if you drain the loving bowl when you park the bike for the season. It also goes stale in the tank faster though that might not be because of ethanol directly.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the ethanol gas does seem to go bad if left in a carb more than a year or so.

Ive gotten in the habit of draining my carbs every season and putting stabil in the tank and coincidentally i have zero issues getting stuff to start every spring.

meanwhile a bike I recently acquired had 12 year old gas in the carb and it was still clear
and not even completely evaporated since by sheer luck it was “pure gas”

I imagine modern things are going to need a lot more work when they become “omg check out this old barn find 2000’s suzuki”

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

In the Netherlands, 5% ethanol was the standard already 10 years ago, so in the 4ish years i've been riding my sv650s with carb, i've never had issues. The OEM fuel lines show minor cracking where the hose clamps clamp down on them, but that's about it. I'd say that's reasonable after 20+ years, i don't think non-ethanol fuel would've prevented that and i'd have to replace them anyway. Gonna do that as soon as the FZR600 is daily'able.

Now the RON 95 contains 10% ethanol as standard, and i'm not gonna risk that. Sadly it does mean that i gotta get the expensive 0 to 5% RON 98 gasoline. On average, that means paying €1,90 per liter.

I have no reason to run 98 octane, bike always ran just fine on 95. The price difference is about 10 cent per liter, so i'm paying about €1,50 per tank extra which isn't that significant compared to the price that increases year after year anyway.

Gotta say i don't do 'seasons'. Even in winter i go on a couple rides every month, so the fuel in the float bowl never gets the time to gel up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

yummycheese posted:

the ethanol gas does seem to go bad if left in a carb more than a year or so.
I've seen it cause problems in very small engines with very small carb jets (50cc scooters) in around 6 months.

It's theoretically not that big a deal but we get a lot of revenue at the shop every spring/summer dealing with it. It does take SOME effort to drain a carb or fill up with non-ethanol in the fall so quite a lot of people don't.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I generally fill up with non ethanol (available at both our local cartel/chains here in NW WI) and I drain bowls in the fall but I am 100% confident I could use eth fuel and not drain and not have issues. The main reason I drain them isn't for fuel degredation, but to stop any fuel from either leaking out or down into the cylinders. It's easier to cut the fuel off at the petcock and trust that valve than 1-4 needle valves down in the carbs (that have rubber tips). Fill the tank to the top with whatever fuel if you have a metal tank, put some stabil or whatever in there if that trips your trigger, drain the bowls and cut the fuel off at the source. If I had a newish bike? Probably wouldn't do anything. My 2008 WR-X just gets filled up and left alone.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've seen it cause problems in very small engines with very small carb jets (50cc scooters) in around 6 months.

It's theoretically not that big a deal but we get a lot of revenue at the shop every spring/summer dealing with it. It does take SOME effort to drain a carb or fill up with non-ethanol in the fall so quite a lot of people don't.

I think it's this, really small engines are going to suffer more because of their teeny little carb and fuel passages and jets. I have way more issues starting my lawnmower in the spring than the bikes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just ride it daily.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

I just ride it daily.

:hmmyes:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I thought besides being hard on seals, the big problem with ethanol gas is that it's hydrophilic and sucks moisture out of the atmosphere that then settles in the bottom of the tank which surprise, is where most bikes get fuel from the tank.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

That is interesting to know.

I used to think gas and water didnt mix and the gas would float on top of the water and you could see it. looked like oil and water not mixing.

Then recently i helped someone with a bike that wouldn’t start after sitting in the rain and it was due to a huge load of water getting into the filler cap due to bad seals.

The gas + water looked fully mixed though and the whole mix was this cloudy white stuff vs clearly separated water and gas like i was used to.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So my wife agreed to get her M license if I found her something similar in size and performance to the BSA Bantam it was time to go bike shopping.

A friend brokered a deal for a 1974 Honda Trail 90 from an old friend of his who had not been able to ride in about a decade.

Took a bit of work but it is back together and running like a champ. The Bantam has no chance of keeping up despite being lighter and being a 125 two stroke.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Steakandchips posted:

I just ride it daily.
This is the solution to a lot of bike problems. Ride it more, loser.

Also worth mentioning though that there is a lot of overhyped anti-ethanol propaganda out there which says it'll ruin any old machine you put it in, destroy the o-rings and rubber lines, change the fuel mixture, etc. Almost all of this is BS. A pretty good bit of evidence here, when the Cannonball goes coast to coast every couple years with 100+ bikes entered all of which are 90+ years old, every single one of them is using pump gas from local stations across the country. Nobody is bringing their own gas. And nobody has issues because of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is the solution to a lot of bike problems. Ride it more, loser.

Also worth mentioning though that there is a lot of overhyped anti-ethanol propaganda out there which says it'll ruin any old machine you put it in, destroy the o-rings and rubber lines, change the fuel mixture, etc. Almost all of this is BS. A pretty good bit of evidence here, when the Cannonball goes coast to coast every couple years with 100+ bikes entered all of which are 90+ years old, every single one of them is using pump gas from local stations across the country. Nobody is bringing their own gas. And nobody has issues because of it.

not disagreeing, but on a 90+ year old bike, would you even be able to tell which particular leak was due to corn gas?

I saw the most incredible silver bass-boat glitter painted bike today, an old thumper standard/cruiser thing. Shame I didn't get a picture.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

not disagreeing, but on a 90+ year old bike, would you even be able to tell which particular leak was due to corn gas?

The Bantam groups have all been having a bit of a freak out about this.

The only rubber bit in the fuel system that I can spot is the fuel line on bikes that don't have the original copper tube. The carb has no o-rings and all the sealing surfaces on it are paper gaskets that leak all the time anyways.

They don't seem to get that E10 has been the norm in North America for a long time and bikes still manage to run just fine on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:fap:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That's been my experience as well. Someone's 40 year old bike with the original gaskets starts leaking fuel and they go to the internet and blame ethanol and ignore age and deferred maintenance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

helno posted:

So my wife agreed to get her M license if I found her something similar in size and performance to the BSA Bantam it was time to go bike shopping.

A friend brokered a deal for a 1974 Honda Trail 90 from an old friend of his who had not been able to ride in about a decade.

Took a bit of work but it is back together and running like a champ. The Bantam has no chance of keeping up despite being lighter and being a 125 two stroke.

Absolutely beautiful. Also, HONDA

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Just clicking through Random Waffle. I vaguely remember someone posting about building a stand out of sheets of plywood like this, but I don't know who it is:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

My motorcycles demonstrate that I am not compensating for anything.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Absolutely beautiful. Also, HONDA

I literally didn't notice that until looking at this picture. I think it was repainted at some point. In addition to the wonky Honda text it has an isle of man TT and Triumph stickers.

The PO and his wife really liked seeing my Bantam. Turns out they had one when they got married and rode it to the Isle of Man for a honeymoon in 1955. Her memory of the Bantam was that it was smelly and slow.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

helno posted:

There's a fun Youtube-series about a guy travelling around the world on his Honda 90. Worth checking out, for those that don't know.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

busalover posted:

There's a fun Youtube-series about a guy travelling around the world on his Honda 90. Worth checking out, for those that don't know.

C90adventures and wondereronahonda and they did it on the street version not the off-road one.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Deeters posted:

Just clicking through Random Waffle. I vaguely remember someone posting about building a stand out of sheets of plywood like this, but I don't know who it is:

Not sure but with the price of lumber here I think the Harbor Freight steel one might be cheaper.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

Not sure but with the price of lumber here I think the Harbor Freight steel one might be cheaper.

Does anyone have one of those that can measure its height when fully flattened? I wanted to get one, but I'd only be able to fit it where my car goes, so I'm hoping I can just flatten it down and park on top of it.

The display one at HF is like half-jacked with the wheel chock attached so I can't gauge its height in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Does anyone have one of those that can measure its height when fully flattened? I wanted to get one, but I'd only be able to fit it where my car goes, so I'm hoping I can just flatten it down and park on top of it.

The display one at HF is like half-jacked with the wheel chock attached so I can't gauge its height in the store.

The conclusion to be drawn here is that cars are evil and pointless and yours is taking up useful bike space.