Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

qutius posted:

Nothing wrong with baby backs - just don't cook them as long.

I'm on Team No Wrap when it comes to ribs, start checking around 3 - 4 hour mark for doneness via the bend test.

Best ribs I ever made was the last last batch. Overstuffed my smoker with three totally different sizes St Louis racks. Temp could not get above 235 and it held there very consistently. Never wrapped the ribs, basted with bbq sauce at the five hour mark. Took them off the smoker at exactly six hours and each rack was totally perfect.

Today I can’t seem to keep my temp under 250, but I’m going to let these go to six hours and see how they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For those using non-electric smokers, what does everyone use to light their smokers/grills with these days? I'm using a chimney starter but frequently find myself scrambling to find material to use under it to get it going.

Chimney, with paper towels stuffed underneath it, soaked with a little vegetable oil.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Today I can’t seem to keep my temp under 250, but I’m going to let these go to six hours and see how they are.

I didn't fully understand the 'bend test' for ribs even though I had seen several videos describing it until I completely overcooked three racks of ribs. How much should they bend? How much should it crack?

Now that I know what too floppy feels like I can pretty easily identify when it's in the middle of too soft and too firm.

What I am saying is that even screwing them up can be a valuable thing. Also, overcooked ribs are still delicious.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The outer skin should only start cracking and not tearing. Bending should not apply any torque to the tongs you use to perform the test, they should just hang.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Today has not been a good one so far.

Wasn’t able to find any St Louis ribs today, so I settled for baby back. Never made them before but will see how they come out.

baby backs > St. Louis imo

the best bits are right by the bone and for baby backs that's like the whole rack

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

baby backs > St. Louis imo

the best bits are right by the bone and for baby backs that's like the whole rack

Baby backs are cut from loin meat so butchers are willing to let them be a little meatier.

Spare ribs, from which st louis are cut, are from the belly. People like bacon, a lot, and they pay more for it. So, often they cut spare/st louis ribs down as much as they can get away with.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I ended up pulling the baby backs at around 5 1/2 hours. Didn’t even take any pictures. I just stood there in my kitchen and ate the whole rack over the sink.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I ended up pulling the baby backs at around 5 1/2 hours. Didn’t even take any pictures. I just stood there in my kitchen and ate the whole rack over the sink.

This is the way

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I'm very proud of you.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Enos Cabell posted:

This is the way

:emptyquote:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I just stood there in my kitchen and ate the whole rack over the sink.

Too long for the thread title?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

How bout dem ribs?

Since we regularly buy Snake River Farms' beef and pork belly (this is fantastic if you guys are into cooking Chinese food like red braised pork or dong po pork), out of curiosity I added some of their Kurobuta St. Louis style ribs to my cart.

Cooked on our lil traeger tailgater (4h @225F) and seasoned with Meathead's Memphis dust:

top: grocery store ribs; bottom: SRF Kurobuta ribs. Lookin pretty similar.

noticeably different sliced.

Above: grocery store ribs.

Above: SRF ribs

comparison:

top: SRF ribs; bottom: grocery store ribs.

Development fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 26, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Development posted:

How bout dem ribs?

Since we regularly buy Snake River Farms' beef and pork belly (this is fantastic if you guys are into cooking Chinese food like red braised pork or dong po pork), out of curiosity I added some of their Kurobuta St. Louis style ribs to my cart.

Cooked on our lil traeger tailgater (4h @225F) and seasoned with Meathead's Memphis dust:

top: grocery store ribs; bottom: SRF Kurobuta ribs. Lookin pretty similar.

noticeably different sliced.

Above: grocery store ribs.

Above: SRF ribs

comparison:

top: SRF ribs; bottom: grocery store ribs.

Could you please elaborate on what you're seeing or tasting?

From your pictures it looks like the snake river farms meat is darker than the grocery store ribs, like chicken thighs vs. breasts, but that could just be the lighting.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Could you please elaborate on what you're seeing or tasting?

From your pictures it looks like the snake river farms meat is darker than the grocery store ribs, like chicken thighs vs. breasts, but that could just be the lighting.

Haha, poo poo yes, I got too focused on posting pics. It definitely felt like that - white meat vs. dark meat. The SRF ribs were juicier but actually had less meat (but they were so good that I didn’t care). The grocery store ribs were good but I felt that a few of the bites were a little dry. The SRF ribs - all of the bites were juicy.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
What's everybody's thoughts on pellet grills vs propane? I've got a CharBroil 4 burner that I've been using, but its now seen better days. I was looking at a basic replacement nothing fancy:

https://www.amazon.com/Monument-Grills-4-Burner-Stainless-Controls/dp/B08RP8FJ9Y/

but they have pellet grills for about that same price point, and while I've got a separate smoker it would be nice to replace both with one device, steaks done in the smoker require separate finishing.

Does a wood pellet grill run as hot as an LP grill (for searing steaks etc)?
Do you use special pellets for smoking?
Are they as fast to heat up and use?

Does this look like a terrible purchase idea:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G6FVCMC

edit:
I've also heard that augurs are a big point of failure on pellet smokers, are there good products that avoid this or any tips anybody knows on finding a less terrible one? Is there a good reason to jump to more expensive stuff ala traegar weber etc?

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 27, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m in the market for a portable charcoal grill

I’m deciding between a Smokey Joe Silver or a Jumbo Joe

I’m leaning towards the SJS because the compact size. Some reviews mentioned the SJS doesnt quite have enough air space to get hot enough for a good sear, anyone got experience with it?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Hi thread! Need some advice, please. We ordered a 3kg pork shoulder from a place we'd used before, but this time it's arrived as three 1kg chops. Was supposed to be smoking it tomorrow and now I have absolutely no idea what to do with the fucker.

Pictures in my tweet below for reference, because I have no idea how to add images on mobile

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1423996613077487618?s=19

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Butchers twine and tie it together?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That’s rough. I’d be pretty pissed about that.

My instinct would be to cut them into “country style” ribs and do them that way.

Other than that, you could also just keep the three chunks separate and think of it as an opportunity to maximize your bark production? I don’t know that really might be too much bark for pulled pork.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Honestly I'd call them up and tell them they hosed up and that you want a whole shoulder, not chops.

While you could smoke that, its going to be a different meal than what you are expecting, and your smoking time is going to be a lot lower.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I was half considering tying them together into a Frankenstein shoulder, but I've no idea if it will gently caress with the timings of it all.

On that note, doing them individually and just having Bark Central could work, but I'd be worried about them drying out like all hell.

I'm pretty inexperienced at using my smoker - maybe four uses out of it so far? - so I've absolutely no confidence when it comes to timing etc beyond "big pork cook long".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Smaller pieces = more bark. What's the issue here?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Smaller piece will overcook before the collagen breaks down unless you’re super careful.

It needs time in that gelatinization zone. I’d go real low temp and try and take as long as possible.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

I was half considering tying them together into a Frankenstein shoulder, but I've no idea if it will gently caress with the timings of it all.

On that note, doing them individually and just having Bark Central could work, but I'd be worried about them drying out like all hell.

I'm pretty inexperienced at using my smoker - maybe four uses out of it so far? - so I've absolutely no confidence when it comes to timing etc beyond "big pork cook long".

Sounds perfect for jerk pork, I've made Malcom Reed's recipe to great success before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5Ho4JJug8

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

xsf421 posted:

Sounds perfect for jerk pork, I've made Malcom Reed's recipe to great success before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5Ho4JJug8

This does look good. I've seen a few of this guy's videos and he seems to know his stuff.

I've settled with brining the individual chops, then tomorrow I'm going to tie them together and hope for the best. With any luck, where the bone has been cut will allow some marrow to help keep things not too dry.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Are they actual slices of shoulder, or are they proper chops?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

It looks like sliced shoulder. Turns out that rather than ordering a 3kg shoulder, my curvy goonette terrible wife ordered 3x 1kg bits of shoulder. To be fair we're all very tired and stressed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Flint_Paper posted:

It looks like sliced shoulder. Turns out that rather than ordering a 3kg shoulder, my curvy goonette terrible wife ordered 3x 1kg bits of shoulder. To be fair we're all very tired and stressed.

Have a sous vide?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Sadly not. Nor anything to cobble one together. Unless a soldering iron in the sink does the job

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah I'd think about braising those. I do country ribs as mentioned above braised in a green Chile sauce that's really good, I think the moist heat helps collagen break down quicker? Generally takes 3 hours or so in the oven.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, chopped in to 1" cubes and cooked in chili would be perfect. You could even start them on the smoker then finish in the chili to give the chili some extra smoke flavor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Transglutaminase.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For those using non-electric smokers, what does everyone use to light their smokers/grills with these days? I'm using a chimney starter but frequently find myself scrambling to find material to use under it to get it going.

The butcher paper meat comes in does the job well, and the bit of fat on it gives it an extra kick.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Transglutaminase.

No meat glue!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The butcher paper meat comes in does the job well, and the bit of fat on it gives it an extra kick.

I take a wad of paper towels and shove it under the chimney, then pour a perhaps half a cup of olive oil down the top of the chimney onto the paper towels. The towels should be damp but not soaking. I then fill the chimney with coal as the oil seeps through the paper towels, then light it on the bottom.

Yes, I know olive oil produces smoke that isn't great for you, but I don't use that much and by the time I'm ready to cook its long since been burned off, and the oil works great to keep burning for perhaps 5 minutes to get the bottom of the charcoal lit.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I do historical interpretation at my current internship, and we built a viking age smoker of clay and willow rods, then fired some fine rear end trout through it. Is that within the purview of this thread, 'cause if so I'll post some pictures.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tias posted:

I do historical interpretation at my current internship, and we built a viking age smoker of clay and willow rods, then fired some fine rear end trout through it. Is that within the purview of this thread, 'cause if so I'll post some pictures.

Please do!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Tias posted:

Feed us brother

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

Yes, I know olive oil produces smoke that isn't great for you

As opposed to the smoke we all deliberately expose our food to? Don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

um excuse me posted:

As opposed to the smoke we all deliberately expose our food to? Don't sweat it.

well that one has toxins that can give really bad off flavors and smells, so you don't cook using olive oil over its flashpoint, but for starting fires its fine, as they all get burned away long before it gets exposed to food.