Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

I like Jeremy and his dad having fun dancing :)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

Oh poo poo, good for her!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Just soooo impressed with themselves over the Jake Rowling thing.

And I don't love that ominous hint at the end that we're getting more storylines about Sarah's profitable genius in the future.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Alhazred posted:

It's the house of a serial killer.

It's owned by the Catholic Church?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows you have to spend money to make money.

Working Daze knows how pointless their characters are.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix meets you half-way.

Cul De Sac won't be doing that again.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Outstanding :allears: .

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm just mad I didn't think of this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac won't be doing that again.

I don't often identify with Petey but this, this is me all summer long whenever I'm forced to leave the house.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

@#&%$! great!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU

e: not you, Johnny Walker. This goddamn idiotic strip.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Just a heads up that Comixology is having a sale on Oni graphic novels which includes the entire run of Bad Machinery.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

fun fact: in English weta refers to the insect, in Māori the insect is wētā and weta is poop.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 27, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Those aren't noodle, those are parasitic worms.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (July 28, 1974)

Funky WInkerCon

You see, it's funny because this started out being about Ruby finally getting her due as a creative talent after decades of being marginalized in the industry and shoved into the background, and it ends with her so thoroughly in the background of what was set up as "her story" that in the last panel she's almost completely obscured by the back of Mopey Pete's head! But guys are neat, aren't they? :argh:

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (July 16, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue: Don Herold, Jr.

Sanford Tousey:

Al Frueh:

As any Buster Keaton fan can tell you, not only were kit homes all the rage in the 1920s, but you could buy them in the Sears catalog (some assembly required).

And another Landon correspondence school graduate, Edwina Dumm:

Also, I wanted to point out this little capsule description from the list of recent books: "Mrs. Dalloway. By Virginia Woolf (Harcourt, Brace). An interesting experiment in the new school of fourth dimensional writing which is leading my bookseller's sales." That was wedged in between Webster's Poker (Webster as in H.T., the Casper Milquetoast artist himself) and a puzzle book called Coded Limericks.

Only a week off my target for this feature. I'll have to double down before we hit the next holiday.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 26, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Sooooo the current Funky Winkerbean arc is:

1: made up characters get a victory lap at a Con for made up accomplishments.
2: a person thought dead (but not, and no one knew, in the modern world with Internet, how does that work? He’s a comic book writer, not some hobo off the street) shows up.
3: dead but not dead guy is pissy at other guy because.......? No seriously: what was with the attitude in the strips before this one? That guy was acting like he had been cheated off some kind of credit, while the other guy did nothing but laud him even before he knew he was alive.
4: some more gushing over how wonderful and bestest these made up comic book writers are. Made up comic book lady takes a back seat, despite her being a focal point in the set up.

Did I miss anything? I didn’t see any cancer so far.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Smirking Boomer jackass basking in (the legend of) his greatness....

But enough about Batiuk.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And dudes rock.

That part can't be stressed hard enough. Especially on KEVIN SMITH LIED Weekend.

(I wonder if faking his own death hosed up Phil's retirement benefits...)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 26, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The past weeks of both Funky and Crankshaft have made me pray for Batiuk's swift removal from the earth.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set adjusts to post-COVID life.

Working Daze is so wacky!

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is...wait, what?

Cul De Sac is a mood.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
That's a nice Wallace :)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Wallace is a good boy

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Batiuk is infuriating. Every story about Ruby working her way through the comics brozone has been leading towards this, a moment of industry and fan recognition, and she gets shunted aside at the very last minute by a sudden Ages-Old Rivalry between an old dude who's already had his day in the sun as far as this strip goes and some other old dude we didn't know about and don't care about but he shows up in a loving Darth Vader mask and is the hit of the con. And everybody goes home smiling and smug or facially obscured.

gently caress you, Tom Batiuk.

Oh, and I think FOOB today is fine. It's nice to see Elly giving herself a moment of happiness, rather than hang out looking mortified by her kids doing the everyday kind of stuff kids do.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, and I think FOOB today is fine. It's nice to see Elly giving herself a moment of happiness, rather than hang out looking mortified by her kids doing the everyday kind of stuff kids do.

me too OP

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 26, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Howard Beale posted:

My thoughts too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Made the rookie mistake of planting a second zucchini plant.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EasyEW posted:

Funky WInkerCon

You see, it's funny because this started out being about Ruby finally getting her due as a creative talent after decades of being marginalized in the industry and shoved into the background, and it ends with her so thoroughly in the background of what was set up as "her story" that in the last panel she's almost completely obscured by the back of Mopey Pete's head! But guys are neat, aren't they? :argh:

Two people are going in the hall of fame, a man and a woman who have spent their entire lives in the comic book industry, does Batiuk write a story about them and the difference in experiences they've had in those 40(?) years?
No, says Batuik, I must blatheringly retell the story of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby/Steve Ditko.

And then finally draw a big back of a head over the woman character that was supposed to be really important at the start of this.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Crisis In Infinite "Minimum Security" Strips

2007: (July 2-6)

And yes, I see it too. Welcome to Duck and Coconut: Year One. :D

(Malacuso)

2010 (August 2-6)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: the end of a pregnancy storyline (September 16-22, 2002)

The foot-candle is the Freedom Unit of Measurement for light intensity (in the international system the lux is used instead). 12 thousand foot-candles is bright. According to Wikipedia, typical indoor lighting is up to 40 foot-candles for living spaces, and up to 90 foot-candles for work spaces. Full, unobstructed sunlight is ten thousand foot-candles. So the kid is literally brighter than the Sun.

Sunday's strip introduces a storyline which will carry us through the end of October (i.e.: until Friday at the rate of one week per day), and will have long-lasting consequences. Strap in.

Modern Kevin & Kell

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is a mood.

:same:

Howard Beale posted:

Batiuk is infuriating. Every story about Ruby working her way through the comics brozone has been leading towards this, a moment of industry and fan recognition, and she gets shunted aside at the very last minute by a sudden Ages-Old Rivalry between an old dude who's already had his day in the sun as far as this strip goes and some other old dude we didn't know about and don't care about but he shows up in a loving Darth Vader mask and is the hit of the con. And everybody goes home smiling and smug or facially obscured.

Reminder that during the time Batiuk introduced Ruby with her oh-so-relevant "I had to deal with misogyny in the office back in the day!!!" thing, Batiuk also trotted out his old "running gag" of Crankshaft and his cronies being assholes toward the lady in their office who keeps doing nice things for them. And when Batiuk showed what Ruby's comic book cover was supposed to look like, he got two guys to draw it instead of getting women to do it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:yeshaha:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

insanely hosed up of wallace to kill and bury that bird

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunday

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/25/01

Brenda Starr 12/2-4/46

Skipping over the December 1 Sunday strip, since as noted it was the same as the November 24 one...

Smokey Stover 6/14/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

EasyEW posted:

Crisis In Infinite "Minimum Security" Strips

2007: (July 2-6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHVVKAKWXcg&t=173s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath