Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean unless you are Colonial we're right here buddy.

If not, press F1 and your dreams will come true.

In other news, another war compilation video is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZgRHxGe16s

Much war antics inside, including fighting with AT guns, driving tanks and debating how lovely Games Workshop is while in a bus moving trucks to one place to another. Also, a GOON armoured column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Emergency bump.

Greetings friends, as you might notice tonight the Colonials are now actually fielding angry houses AKA tanks. This might be a shock to you, as you are surrounded also by many players who instantly turn into terrified psuedo sheep toddlers and somehow make matters worse as a Hatchet and those Infantry support tanks spray and bombard the ground among you.

But do not panic, things for the moment are not as bad as they seem. We've just unlocked out own Light Tank which is better than the Hatchet. We've got loads of 40MM lying around. We also have access to a stupid amount of 68 MM FAT which we can make more of than them, some of which are waiting in Wellchurch or Lockheed to be brought to the front lines. Mines are also very cheap and should be placed ASAP.

Now would be also a good time to ensure every BB you pass has Howitzers. If they don't, quickly vote for the upgrades that lead to them.

Also they had to choose the Dusk over their Bane Super Bazooka AT weapon. So they don't have that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Can the tech tree wrap back around? Some choices are real rough and I don't think I've ever been in a war where the Wardens have their sniper.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Can the tech tree wrap back around? Some choices are real rough and I don't think I've ever been in a war where the Wardens have their sniper.

You eventually go through it for the stuff you have missed, but wars rarely last that long. By the time it is happening rockets are dropping on places and a victory point or two is away for the winning faction.

Not missing anything with the sniper rifle, honestly.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

A rousing speech

All hail Supreme Cat Commander Nurdbot, herder of the lost Bmats , Defender of the Pubbie! All who oppose shall be gassed, all who resist shall be relentlessly bayonet charged!

Viva La Front! Viva La Bunker Base!

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 26, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Don't mind me, I'm an idiot who did a 70k salvage session and a flatbedding session and then did another 70k salvage session. :downsgun:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Delacroix posted:

By blocking a bridge behind a major fight with freighters and getting the responding colonial gunboats killed by barge pirates, my efforts are rewarded with a lone colonial donating their APC to our base after they drove an empty freighter into a coastal gun.

e: This was only made possible because Leadout parked freighters in a spot APCs can't drive up. :hf:

Lol glad they saw some use!

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Grondoth posted:

Yes, the tree wraps around back to the start once the last item gets unlocked. For hand weapons this is "eh so what" but for vehicles there are actually Tier 2 and Tier 3 variants of vehicles. They are rarely seen but they are there. T2 & T3 vehicles get buffs to stats (usually movement & durability types) and camo paint jobs.

skaianDestiny posted:

I want to make a regiment for my friends and I, how do I go about doing that?

I think the only requirement for anyone to make a Regiment is you have to be some level of Sergeant rank in game (SSgt I think ?).

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 26, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Danann posted:

Don't mind me, I'm an idiot who did a 70k salvage session and a flatbedding session and then did another 70k salvage session. :downsgun:

The scrapping is real. Take solace we will be using the rest of the BMATS to fortify what we have.

So yeah, quellle surpise once more sloppy or non-existant BB work had led to possibly the loss of the half of Endless Shore. For the time being, we hold what we have and our new home Lockheed. Take some time to practice and build those small star shaped bunkers in the home island section. We're going to have to put those up with what land we do get.

For the moment though, lets use what we have to at least keep them from Old Jack Tar way.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Despite being part of that absolute poo poo show last night with the push guns I have been having a blast learning the game from you awesome gentlegoons.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So yeah, quellle surpise once more sloppy or non-existant BB work had led to possibly the loss of the half of Endless Shore.

Now that the warden handicap period is over you should be far more worried about Godscroft being overrun. Currently the wardens are holding back the frontline through storm cannons but should the flank be taken they either have to be turned which wastes massive amounts of power or let all the decaying backline be swept across.

I will say the first day of using the IST was hilarious with new players not realizing that the massive tracks will instantly murder them while it's moving if they even brush the side. So many teamkills.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 26, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

cr0y posted:

Despite being part of that absolute poo poo show last night with the push guns I have been having a blast learning the game from you awesome gentlegoons.

I think it's important to recognize that this game is very often a complete poo poo show. And when it is, sometimes you just have to roll with it and laugh.

Or complain loudly and bitterly to anyone who'll listen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don't they have two Storm Cannons just dropping poo poo constantly up there? I really hope some big boy clan attempts to break one.

Amazing Member posted:

All hail Supreme Cat Commander Nurdbot, herder of the lost Bmats , Defender of the Pubbie! All who oppose shall be gassed, all who resist shall be relentlessly bayonet charged!

Viva La Front! Viva La Bunker Base!

Eh I appreciate the praise but I want to use this post to state that I am just holding the tiller until some of the older goons come back from their break or Covid work based hell, this is our group not my own. I am just the oldest Foxhole goon active long enough to teach new players and give us a vague direction.

Not seeking to be some sort of defacto leader, I just want to shoot mans.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't we all.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also Volmarias, that was some great slapstick getting that container loaded in Kirknell the other night.

I hope you're not too discouraged - it was still useful to get those supplies down to Lockheed, and in this game, the road to learning is paved with mistakes. At least nobody got TKed in the process!

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just passin' the torch: Rule of thumb, I hear, is if you can't find the best, you find the oldest

Besides who takes vidya games seriously anyway, just a nudge in a general direction in this setting makes waves down the line.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also Volmarias, that was some great slapstick getting that container loaded in Kirknell the other night.

I hope you're not too discouraged - it was still useful to get those supplies down to Lockheed, and in this game, the road to learning is paved with mistakes. At least nobody got TKed in the process!

I'm not discouraged, just embarrassed that I managed to so utterly mess things up all by myself. I'll still play Interregnum Trucker when needed

:ninja: Must secretly be a Collie saboteur :tinfoil:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Honestly struggling with the UI whilst grappling with logistics is the Foxhole experience.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Absolutely nothing is explained for the entire logistics side of the game so really your best bet is asking in logi channel for someone to teach you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rynoto posted:

Absolutely nothing is explained for the entire logistics side of the game so really your best bet is asking in logi channel for someone to teach you.

This is how I learned, along with the excellent OP and the generally worthless training area.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Volmarias posted:

This is how I learned, along with the excellent OP and the generally worthless training area.

Me, i learned by having pissed off expert logi folks waiting for me at various cranes yelling at me to get my head out of my rear end.

Stress is the best teacher after all.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Volmarias posted:

I'm not discouraged, just embarrassed that I managed to so utterly mess things up all by myself. I'll still play Interregnum Trucker when needed

:ninja: Must secretly be a Collie saboteur :tinfoil:

Taking a break at the moment but you're not a true logi until you get screamed at in French at least 10 times! Busy seaport unloading when you are solo is exceptionally nerve wracking.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I got back into this game because there’s been progressively enough content for me to do solo stuff at night when the family is asleep, primarily just being a medic that carts bodies out and revive them, or take their stuff and return it to the nearest base.

I take it there’s Goons on the Wardens? I think I saw a few of those rags running around last night around the Tomb of the Fist while it was getting cut off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

I got back into this game because there’s been progressively enough content for me to do solo stuff at night when the family is asleep, primarily just being a medic that carts bodies out and revive them, or take their stuff and return it to the nearest base.

I take it there’s Goons on the Wardens? I think I saw a few of those rags running around last night around the Tomb of the Fist while it was getting cut off.

Why yes, we're operating in Endless Shore at the moment and our current home is Lockheed in Marban Hollow. We've got an in game regimental clan thingy and a discord right here if you want in ping one of us and meet us in home island.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Volmarias posted:

The entirety of my training was Nurdbot telling me to grab a rifle, ammo, a mask, and two cartridges, and then leading me into the hills to conduct a holding action against a collie flank.

Effective training.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MrYenko posted:

The entirety of my training was Nurdbot telling me to grab a rifle, ammo, a mask, and two cartridges, and then leading me into the hills to conduct a holding action against a collie flank.

Effective training.

A good introduction.

I don't remember who it was the other night, but I ended up happening upon a goon who was spotting for an artillery car (?), and spent 20 minutes as the driver just moving back and forth and changing directions, and it was fun as heck knowing that I was helping make those giant poofs of justice in the edge of the draw distance.

I think that was the same night as the container fuckup so it was a nice redemption.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So yeah, the first of the two Colonial mass production tank is now out and about. So if we can, lets reply by politely making more Collins Guns and 68 shells.

So far most of what we've taken barring some half assed gains in the Island fronts is being held. Things are going to get busy. Hopefully we'll have our weekend Silverhands ready to help.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

how helpful is a filthy casual going to be in this game.. for collecting mats or making stuff here n there.. is it poo poo I can do while working with it on my laptop or on my other monitor?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tater_salad posted:

how helpful is a filthy casual going to be in this game.. for collecting mats or making stuff here n there.. is it poo poo I can do while working with it on my laptop or on my other monitor?

It can be pretty hands on most of the time as you drive around the map delivering stuff. If you want to best 'idle play', perhaps take resources to factories and submit the jobs, idle until they are done and then cart them back to the supply depots?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Most casual logitics thing you can do is to truck/collect and truck with containers of loose scrap in flatbeds that is mined for the tech tree for public BMAT creation.

Or seek out, unlock and drive back the fields of abandoned trucks to the nearest depots/seaports but that requires some map-fu.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

So yeah, the first of the two Colonial mass production tank is now out and about. So if we can, lets reply by politely making more Collins Guns and 68 shells.

The Falchion (MPT) was against the Ballista so was unteched. The Spatha is the only colonial medium tank this war (again). The big unlock for colonials is the Smelter (HVFAT) which is the incredibly powerful 68mm pushgun compared to the warden HV40 pushgun.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The battlefront were almost set in stone before tanks started showing up and it looks like push guns are going to be the deciding factor for creating tank permissive environments, there's simply too many colonial tanks and the anti tank HV gun to make tanks in any meaningful number. Utilising captured field artillery to decrew the latter will be a cheap and effective solution.

The frozen waterways is making wheelchair transportation insanely more tedious yet we're doing pretty well killing tanks with AT guns and infantry AT, two wheelchairs in exchange for four tanks dead is a pretty good deal when there's ten tanks in that fight.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Delacroix posted:

The battlefront were almost set in stone before tanks started showing up

There is a reason the time before tanks is the warden handicap period :v:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wardens are fully capable of holding the majority of the map before tanks arrive, the tank period is when they start losing ground then rapidly regain and lose ground due to the loving misery of construction and fortification.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Exactly? Wardens have an overwhelming tech dominance pre-tanks with the 40mm, 250mm, and ATHT. Once tanks come out it evens the field. The big thing that happens to wardens is that pushing forward leads to decaying backlines - mostly caused by the frontline bobs in the south requiring both significantly more buildup and more total bobs to cover the wide open areas so all their GSup/BSup go to them. So what tends to happen is once tanks come out a weak point is found, exploited, and then the squishy, decaying backline is crushed.

It's really a neverending cycle. The one big thing that happened this war and delayed the normal colonial LT sprint is wardens getting Silverhands two full tech tiers before Spathas because the MPT was against the Ballista while Wardens were able to get both their best tank and new ballista. If wardens had been able to finish the war before Spathas they had a real chance but now with Spathas and Smelters fielded it's very much up in the air.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 30, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Colonials skipped tech for whatever reason, that's a self inflicted wound. Colonials also got light tanks first.

Vast majority of experienced warden players prefer the ISG over using 40mm for bunker base destruction then RPG jeeps when they start falling into our hands, the field mortar is only taken out to demolish T3 bunkers because it's that much of a hassle.

I've personally witnessed during this war colonial groups run right past a field mortars to steal 68mm anti tank or the 40mm. When we pushed them back, the field mortars were still there, haven't had moved an inch.

The anti tank halftrack is a different category altogether, before this update it was universally disliked and unteched because it's slow as poo poo onroad and offroad on top of having normal range. Meaning it has to slug with vehicles that can run circles around, namely any colonial tanks or RPG jeeps. It's now functionally obsolete because the anti tank HV gun can instagib it. Wardens predominately stick to creeping up anti tank emplacements with cranes and the 68mm anti tank gun to deal with tanks. I would almost lump the ATHT with the heavy tank destroyer in how loving terrible it was but the former got range boost this update and time will show if the armour changes makes the HTD palatable.

Between the ISG, RPG jeep and fast tech mobile field artillery it beggars belief colonials can lose ground early to midgame.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 30, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The ATHT now completely outranges the FAT, EAT, 40mm, and ISG. It has no counter if the crew is even remotely competent until medium/destroyer tanks come out. The 250mm is the only feasible way to break concrete bobs before ballistas which is a big deal with mixers being early tech. The armour buff has likewise left silverhands nearly impervious to FATs due to deflections until the armour is depleted.

HTD was always a joke though, and the LTD has likewise been dumpstered due to firing normal 68mm. Smelters have completely replaced them and are always very late game tech.

Even trying to say the RPG Jeep is equal to even the 40mm is bizarre though. The thing is only teched because it is the only choice available to colonials early for (mobile) anti-structure and even then it's a joke. The ISG, for as good as it is, is still likewise limited to only what a person can carry + a jeep, requires two people to reliably push with, and can be one shot by a 40mm. Before AT reacted to it it was easily better than the 40mm but now it's relegated to anti-infantry/armour or to destroy badly defended BOB structures as it doesn't have near the ammo capacity as a 40mm.

Just because you, or new players, overlook the 250mm likewise doesn't mean it isn't highly sought after early by colonial clans. It's the sole tool to try and stop the SC spam and is regularly used by both sides' clans. Giving the wardens a ballista was needed for lategame still but really now another claim that it's somehow not useful is bizarre.

Also pretty sure wardens tech skipped as well :v: After the war will have to show you the insane colonial tech tree. Truly awful poo poo.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 30, 2021

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

This update has changed the meta but yes, the ATHT was trash, skipped when possible and underused for the last five months.

And as of the current phase of the war, a waste of refined mats that can be spent on 68mm anti tank. Not only is it gibbed by anti tank HV, using it at night is borderline suicidal thanks to stealth field weapons or masses of tanks. Silverhands are taking a second seat to the sheer demand of anti tank guns, we can't produce and transport them fast enough and it's a universally available gun. Wardens have switched tack to using 120mm to decrew smelters and in face of colonial tank spam at every front, we use infantry AT and field guns.

Concrete mixers have been T1 for two wars, frontline bunker bases are not concreted unless it's positively safe whereas ISGs are deployed everywhere in large numbers to melt T2 bunkers. While also outranging flak and holding down bridges.

Ballistas breaking T3 bunkers before tanks can arrive has been the state of affairs for months and if that was to continue, I'm almost certain wardens would also prefer to wait for 250mm if it's self propelled. The bases that switch hands after all don't get upgraded to T3 when 120mm is constantly flung around. We make heavy use of 68mm anti tank guns because it's cheaper, more resilient than the ATHT and much less likely to get griefed and driven into the sea.

RPG jeeps is supremely useful for breaking into resource fields that aren't protected by AT garrisons, it's weird that you think they would supplant the use of ISGs for general purpose anti structure duty when 30mm is dirt cheap, as cheap as frag grenades and significantly more versatile.

Colonials are now coming to grips with armour having actual tangible effects for several days now. Wardens have been dealt a terrible hand for several months. In short while you probably meant the colonials:

Rynoto posted:

There is a reason the time before tanks is the warden handicap period :v:

you unintentionally struck the nail on the head by saying wardens are disadvantaged in the early game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Delacroix posted:

you unintentionally struck the nail on the head by saying wardens are disadvantaged in the early game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handicap_(golf)

Snark aside. Of course ATHT are garbage now at this point in the war. It was never claimed they were good all game - just that they are outrageously good now for when they're unlocked - same with ISG, fwiw.

This does actually point to one big downside of wardens getting so many goodies early - they don't have the sheer amount of rmats stockpiled that are instead used to push early game.

The single best use for the 250mm isn't to push forwards into a fight. That's just asking for it to get stolen. Its real use right now is doing backline stuff. Push in, break a base, tap it, get out before people respond. Especially easy with barges and you can return later to use the newly AI free areas for partisan work.

RPGJeeps carry enough rockets to /maybe/ kill two 3piece bob structures. And if that's enough to break into a field I have no idea what you're doing back there. You'd need multiple trucks worth to take out an entire bob.

30mm are, indeed, dirt cheap, yes? 40mm are too if you mass produce them to the point of being moot.

What's happening now is a complete reversal of what happened months ago when colonials got the best early game tech possible (MHT) when it was pinpoint and had to win before silverhands came out. The big difference is wardens still at least have endgame tech :v:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Where is Mr Plow when you need him, this snow storm really is not fun to deal with without the rest of the developers vision to finish the drat concept.

First off, try to pass the star always onto anyone who is active if you can before logging off. Squad leader inactivity sucks.

And to future goons coming into the game, due to how persistant squad works and limited numbers we'll only be adding you now into the peremanent regiment/clan/guild structure if you just want in early to save time but don't have the free time to indulge in the present campaign.

Likewise if you suddenly get waylaid by real life and not certain you will be on as much during the campaign and if squad is very close to the limit let us know and peace out the squad (please god say in the regiment though).

So war wise, we are holding so far but the Colonials seem very eager to reduce the Tuatha Storm Cannons to rubble in the east. They killed one out of the four sadly in night hours.

What we can do to help the fight? grit out teeth and keep making FAT and 68MM ammo and truck them out to the front line if you are't fighting. Also keep our Lockheed holdings fed and operational and maybe consider building them up.

Also, we've got some Silverhands in our depot stash I am itching to use this weekend.