Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

The only thing i remember about Alien Ant Farm was a Michael Jackson cover before they evaporated a month later.

refresh your memory with this excellent little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8j3ZwlUJJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

C’mon, be fair now, they had one other song that wasn’t that great either

No, that was whatever band Q101 played-out the month after.

Pastry of the Year posted:

You absolute monster. That Iron Maiden riff that Papa Roach stole wont be leaving my head anytime soon! t:mad:t

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

I was gonna link that P.O.D song that got played for an entire god drat summer+ with the line "instead'a takin a test, i took 2 in the chest." So i googled "P.O.D singles" and there is no way i'm wading through all that poo poo for y'all.
There's no way P.O.D had that many singles.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think if I would have known more about industrial metal I wouldn't have listed to nu-metal nearly as much as I did. I should have talked more to the kid who listened to KMFDM.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
For me the archetype of the nu metal song is linkin park's "in the end" (had to google the title, it's the "I TRIED SO HARD AND GOT SO FAR, BUT IN THE END IT DIDN'T EVEN MATTER" one). Ugh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I was gonna link that P.O.D song that got played for an entire god drat summer+ with the line "instead'a takin a test, i took 2 in the chest." So i googled "P.O.D singles" and there is no way i'm wading through all that poo poo for y'all.

P.O.D. was the christian one wasn't it?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

P.O.D. was the christian one wasn't it?

P.O.D. stands for Payable On Death

and since they were a Christian nu-metal band that meant they stayed relevant within their niche for a lot longer than you'd expect

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

P.O.D. is touring now apparently. Our local rock station was giving away tickets this past week.

Also, the frontman from Trapt is a maga chud who was getting into Twitter slapfights some recent time ago. Sounds about right.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

No, that was whatever band Q101 played-out the month after.

No, Alien Ant Farm had "Movies" as a follow up to Smooth Criminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2t4jfVTiU

They weren't exactly a nu-metal band but more of a Sum 41 clone.

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Youth of the Nation was the one your thinking of. They also had one other song on that album with "Alive" and before that had "Rock the Party", but today are mostly known for a wrestling theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeYdMWiA46Q

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Thank you, this was a great video! Subscribed.

Also it raises a good question - what is the modern equivalent of nu-metal? I'm sure there are bands out there still doing the same sound but they can't be all that popular.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Also it raises a good question - what is the modern equivalent of nu-metal? I'm sure there are bands out there still doing the same sound but they can't be all that popular.
Tread carefully through the videos I am about to link--the only one of these bands I would endorse is Bring Me The Horizon and even then only lightly (and don't listen to anything before their third album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jakpo7tj7Qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAv5Rxpl_UY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xn-M4T3AQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPe180bxVuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5uV3gmOH9g

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thank you, this was a great video! Subscribed.

Todd in the shadows is a pro sub for youtube. He has provided a lot of material for these threads.

In the same vein, Trash Theory has a lot of great videos on music, its a bit more educational than Todd though, and mostly focuses on British stuff, but if you wanted to learn about MIA or Gorillaz he's got great videos on both of them.
Todays vid is about Evanessance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9PP240Qjc

Kinda interesting, especially how the record companies kept trying to jerk them around and force them into rap metal. Though i realized that they remind me of early 2000s anime music, but then I wonder if the animes were imitating them. Also I realized the infamous fanfic My Immortal is referencing their song :ughh:

I've always associated nu metal with the white trash kids. I remember everyone in my high school in the early 00's kind of put up with it because people still listened to the radio back then and it filled alternative stations, but it was the obviously trashy kids that were super into it. Today it somehow still persists as the default music for trashy redneck dudes driving lifted trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyfUR6K12RM

This song is what I think of as the epitome of post-90's angsty, bland, corporate, depressing rock that dominated alternative stations during that era.

When i worked for HMV in the early 2000s yea, the only people who bought that kind of stuff were mostly white trash kids, who i guess are the same as the kids who liked fire and knives? Though this is also during the rise in popularity of indie rock so it was getting a bit better.

And yea, there is a reason Trapt came out as giant chuds and got dunked on by everyone for no one coming to their pandemic shows.

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol

All I'm gonna say about nu metal is "at least the iraq war will produce good music" turned out to be really, really false

Lindsey Ellis has a good video on this subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbgAGlrVKE

Like yea, there were a good number of punk bands and rappers that did make Bush protest music, BUT the idea was that protest music was going to be the form of music like it was during the 60s. That songs about how bad war was were going to dominate the charts, that young people would pick up guitars and start an entirely new youth movement against the war through their music. Lol no. If anything, pro war music became what was popular. If you dared suggest that maybe the US shouldn't bomb Iraq, you were basically throwing up into the liberty bell then taking a poo poo on the Betsy Ross flag and then wiping your rear end with the constitution. Protest Music was limited to the edge, and getting salty that some crust punk bands song didn't get mention is just silly.

I think most of those people moved onto black metal? Bands with names that look like a bundle of sticks. I remember a coworker going to a GHOST show and he remarked how many Korn and Limp Bizkit shirts he saw there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I mean as long as a band exists they'll release "singles", that doesn't necessarily mean they're popular.

P.O.D. has had a lot of odd turns, I still kinda like them despite themselves, though I'm pretty much done expecting any good new stuff. They had 2 albums that got really big, and "Youth of the Nation" hit at just the right time really -- because it was basically about Columbine, but it sort of became about 9/11 too (the album's release date).

The guitarist left after that album so they got another guy and made an album that didn't do well at all (it has their Matrix Reloaded song on it). The album after that did sort of okay -- it also featured a guest vocal from Katy Hudson, AKA Katy Perry. (3:24 in this video - https://youtu.be/plGETDmXw5g?t=204)

Then the original guitarist came back and they kind of almost tried to turn into more of a reggae vibey jam rock band, but they bailed on that and went back to a harder sound. They also tried out the odd move of dropping F-bombs on a song that was also very explicitly about Jesus, but essentially nobody let them, so they ended up being very awkwardly censored out. And then they did some kind of really awful concept album and other stuff that mainly just exists as tour promotion fodder.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Jul 24, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Edsel Dope, of nu-metal band Dope.

Also, Alien Ant Farm's album truANT was some solid and catchy pop alt rock. I still throw it on once or twice a year.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Did anybody ever answer this question? Keep it brief

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Nope, never. People are still asking to this day. Personally, I prefer the mystery and hope we never find out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

C’mon, be fair now, they had one other song that wasn’t that great either
And JUST LIKE -- the mooooovies /
We PLAYYYYYYED OUUUUT /
our last sceeeeeeeeeeene

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Darthemed posted:

Also, Alien Ant Farm's album truANT was some solid and catchy pop alt rock. I still throw it on once or twice a year.

This dude reminds me that a lot of the nu-metal bands themselves were made up of pretty old guys who'd been chugging away in rock bands for like a decade at least before tuning to Drop-D and pleating your beard so you can get on the soundtrack of a WWE video game was an option. Not only that, you had bands like Machine Head, Fear Factory and even Slayer drop a nu metal album because metal itself was kind of in the doldrums. Maybe it's because it was my entry point when I first became aware music existed beyond background noise (I moved on VERY quickly, I swear!) but Nu Metal fascinates me as a cultural moment.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Darthemed posted:

I think i still have a demo cd these guys handed out to everyone leaving the house of blues one night. I think i was leaving a Donnas show?
Never even put it in a cd player.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nope, never. People are still asking to this day.

Hand to god I saw a faded license plate holder with The Question on it driving home from work yesterday.

The series of thoughts that led to the purchase and installation of that artifact, can you even imagine

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Okay but was it faded on an old car, or faded on a new car?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I saw one too fairly recently, and pretty much the same questions ran through my mind; what leads one to actively display… that?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

You could log into WoW, type: "politics" in /2 and find your answers almost immediately, if you really hate yourself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pangstrom posted:

For me the archetype of the nu metal song is linkin park's "in the end" (had to google the title, it's the "I TRIED SO HARD AND GOT SO FAR, BUT IN THE END IT DIDN'T EVEN MATTER" one). Ugh.

Linkin park was pretty close to the zenith of the genre too. I'd rather listen to them than the aforementioned Trapt. I also have a huge soft spot for collision course but then again I like mashups in general

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I think i still have a demo cd these guys handed out to everyone leaving the house of blues one night. I think i was leaving a Donnas show?
Never even put it in a cd player.
They're still around, though these days, the main guy from Dope seems to be doing more work by singing in Static-X, while wearing a mask of their dead founding singer.

Darthemed has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Jul 24, 2021

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Darthemed posted:

They're still around, those these days, the main guy from Dope seems to be doing more work by singing in Static-X, while wearing a mask of their dead founding singer.

This is peak nu-metal edgyness and I can only respect it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I had Dope's debut album and IIRC it was more towards the industrial side of nu metal with Static-X and Spineshank, but all I really remember was it had covers of both "gently caress Tha Police" and "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)"

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Nu metal kicked rear end. Korn kicked rear end. System of a down kicked rear end. P.o.d kicked rear end.

Drowning pool, papa roach, uhhhhhhh uhhhh and the rest I guess

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How long is the chain on your wallet? And how many JNCOs are in your closet?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I had Dope's debut album and IIRC it was more towards the industrial side of nu metal with Static-X and Spineshank, but all I really remember was it had covers of both "gently caress Tha Police" and "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)"

:yeah:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

System of a down kicks rear end.

ftfy

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

How long is the chain on your wallet? And how many JNCOs are in your closet?

Never had jncos but my chain wallet reached the back of my jean jorts :smug:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
nu metal got a LOT of push from record companies trying to mine out what looked like the last big wave of popular rock music, so like a lot of rock genres most of it is really forgettable filler with a few decent bands mixed in. the nu metal aesthetic though was flamboyantly trashy and clownish, trying to mix a grunge-like disaffection with being really, really sure everyone knows how little we care about what you think of us, really. after that, rock didn't die, but there wasn't that kind of massive radio push anymore as radio itself just got dominated by hip hop. classic rock gets more play than contemporary rock. personally i think ipods are more to blame for the lack of rock's cultural visibility, but you still had standout moments like midwestern neo blues rock (black keys, white stripes) or big city hipster indie rock (the jets, yeah yeah yeahs, tons of other bands who had one or two solid albums and then nada)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Saw a faded rear end one of these on a beater today.

Sentiment that aged like a fine bottle of nightrain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

nu metal got a LOT of push from record companies trying to mine out what looked like the last big wave of popular rock music, so like a lot of rock genres most of it is really forgettable filler with a few decent bands mixed in. the nu metal aesthetic though was flamboyantly trashy and clownish, trying to mix a grunge-like disaffection with being really, really sure everyone knows how little we care about what you think of us, really. after that, rock didn't die, but there wasn't that kind of massive radio push anymore as radio itself just got dominated by hip hop.

It's interesting how nu-metal started out very much trying to present itself as being allied with hip-hop, but before long that kind of disappeared and it was a very white genre again. I think because of its beginnings it still kept an above-average-sized leftover contingent of faithful nonwhite fans, but the artists themselves stopped reflecting that as much, and musically those elements kind of disappeared. Korn, POD, and Linkin Park tried to keep it going to an extent, but other than that, there wasn't much crossover.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Jul 25, 2021

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Music sales peaked in the year 2000 and fell dramatically every year after until recently. I'm sure piracy is somewhat to blame for that, but I always wondered if it impacted certain genres earlier than others. By 2001 the demographic most likely to pirate music were young white males

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

Music sales peaked in the year 2000 and fell dramatically every year after until recently.

No-one has money.

In 2000 people still had a bit of money.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

je1 healthcare posted:

Music sales peaked in the year 2000 and fell dramatically every year after until recently. I'm sure piracy is somewhat to blame for that, but I always wondered if it impacted certain genres earlier than others. By 2001 the demographic most likely to pirate music were young white males

All that anger and teen angst. Gotta stick it to THE MAN.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

All those downloads everyone did, just to piss off Lars.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
This is a shot in the dark but this seems a good place to ask. I've been trying to find an old music video I must have seen 2000-2002. The main scene I remember is one of the guys in the video (band member?) got stuck on a giant spider web and got wrapped up then something broke open the web and colorful butterflies flew out (orange, yellow, purple is what I remember). The whole video had a very grey/bluish hue and was in a dark forest/swamp? I think there was a car, but hopefully that spider web part helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sounds like the music video for "Free", by VAST. (link jumps to the butterfly release part)