Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think being charitable they meant it as two completely separate adjectives, but phrased it badly - the show was badly made, but separately had many homosexual undertones that got it some of it's audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I think being charitable they meant it as two completely separate adjectives, but phrased it badly - the show was badly made, but separately had many homosexual undertones that got it some of it's audience.

You've got a really bad track record of picking up on queer subtext though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

I don’t mind characters like Teela getting more focus but this feels like it’s being dark and gritty for the sake of being dark and gritty.

i didn't really get that impression though. from the way it sounded, i was expected something like Invincible, but this is actually barely more mature than the 2002 series. totally pg-13 at best.

finished watching the series and i think it's pretty decent. i do definitely agree that it was a bad idea to make the trailers misleading. i mean, gently caress the anti-sjw rage mongers, of course, but even ignoring those dipshits, i think it was kind of a dick move to subvert expectations like that.

i'll post more of my thoughts later, but for the moment i just want to ask: so...in Preternia, everyone there (except the main cast) is dead, but even though they're dead, their bodies all function and get hurt like they're still alive?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Mark Hamill’s just doing the Joker voice again. I mean, it’s a good voice but it’s been 30 years.

sounds like a more crotchety version of ozai imo

but i definitely agree, he's been doing it for a while. i think hamill's great for a variety of reasons but real talk: i think he should probably call it quits soon. at his prime he was legendary. but he's long past it now. (that also goes for a lot of other VAs too btw)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

finished watching the series and i think it's pretty decent. i do definitely agree that it was a bad idea to make the trailers misleading. i mean, gently caress the anti-sjw rage mongers, of course, but even ignoring those dipshits, i think it was kind of a dick move to subvert expectations like that.

Really? I disagree. I think genuinely challenging people is something fiction should do. And as far as challenging fiction goes, what Kevin Smith's version of He Man is doing is pretty tame. So I don't see how this could be seen as arseholery or whatever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

i didn't really get that impression though. from the way it sounded, i was expected something like Invincible, but this is actually barely more mature than the 2002 series. totally pg-13 at best.

i'll post more of my thoughts later, but for the moment i just want to ask: so...in Preternia, everyone there (except the main cast) is dead, but even though they're dead, their bodies all function and get hurt like they're still alive?

sounds like a more crotchety version of ozai imo

but i definitely agree, he's been doing it for a while. i think hamill's great for a variety of reasons but real talk: i think he should probably call it quits soon. at his prime he was legendary. but he's long past it now. (that also goes for a lot of other VAs too btw)

Yeah, having actually watched the series since making that comment I take it back, the show’s perfectly fine and I look forward to the second half.

Hell, it actually made me like ORKO despite his limited appearance. Little guy’s got some surprisingly profound moments here

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 25, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone posted:

Well, the original series was for, like 7 year olds, not grown-rear end adults with the emotional maturity of 7 year olds.

Also, speaking as 52 year straight, CiS-gender white male, you want to maybe rethink your phrasing.

Are you saying that the original series was total garbage in part because it was extremely gay?

Or are you doing that equally bullshit thing of using "gay" as a version of "sucks" or "is bad."

Because neither of those takes seems like it belong here in the 21st century.

No no, I mean that the kind of people who are upset about the new cartoon being "too political" or whatever don't like stuff that's GLBTQ-friendly, and that the original show is in a way that's probably intentional to some degree.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

No no, I mean that the kind of people who are upset about the new cartoon being "too political" or whatever don't like stuff that's GLBTQ-friendly, and that the original show is in a way that's probably intentional to some degree.

I never really got into He-Man. I think most of what I think I know about it comes from those Robot Chicken sketches. I did occasionally watch She-Ra, mostly because I had a bit of a "TV crush" on the cute pink-haired princess girl, Glimmer. And a visit to She-Ra's IMDB pages reminded me that Glimmer's voice actress died almost 26 years ago in 1995. Which... gently caress.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

I never really got into He-Man. I think most of what I think I know about it comes from those Robot Chicken sketches. I did occasionally watch She-Ra, mostly because I had a bit of a "TV crush" on the cute pink-haired princess girl, Glimmer. And a visit to She-Ra's IMDB pages reminded me that Glimmer's voice actress died almost 26 years ago in 1995. Which... gently caress.

It’s a bit of a different beast from the original but you might enjoy the Netflix reboot of She-Ra that came out in 2018 then (it also requires very little knowledge of what came before in order to follow along with it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 25, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

I think there's general two types of people that get really big into online outrage about kids' cartoons in this manner: You've got the actual capital C CHUDs, and people who are terminally self-focused about media. The latter group isn't inherently lovely or reactionary but is very short-sighted in how they view media and as a result are easily manipulated by the CHUDs. To them, media is something that can be objectively measured as Good or Bad and they are obviously consumers of Good media. Since they obviously enjoy Good media, any media that they do not enjoy must therefore be Bad. Because they think a piece of media' goodness or badness is an objective metric, that means that things like a tv show they don't like having a high score on Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB is not just a case of differing opinions, but a case of these websites not reflecting what they view as objective reality and is something that, in their worldview, must be corrected. It's the same sort of mindset you see from people who complain about reviews not being "objective" if they consider aspects of a work that they don't care about like representation or racial or social overtones.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

what do these people actually like

https://twitter.com/DDay_Cobra/status/1419107997884760064?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nothing, even the 80’s show would probably be too “woke” for them if it were to run today completely unaltered. They only seem to care about what they imagine the show to have been in their heads and as such will never be satisfied.

Expect another round of similar bitching when the CGI reboot comes out (He-Man fans confuse the hell out of me and this is speaking as someone who actually likes the series)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 25, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's YouTube recommendations are hosed right now. I wonder if any of these chuds realize constantly posting that rotten tomatoes score just makes the fans look like a bunch of out of touch man babies.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's me, the "lord of patriarchy"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's YouTube recommendations are hosed right now. I wonder if any of these chuds realize constantly posting that rotten tomatoes score just makes the fans look like a bunch of out of touch man babies.

There’s an extension called BlockTube that’s available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera that allows you to completely voip these permanently inflamed penis-possessors from ever showing up again in your recommendations, search results, related videos, and even off-site embeds. I’ve been using it for like 3 years now and it has made my YouTube viewing algorithm-proof.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's me, the "lord of patriarchy"

The Lord of Patriarchy in action:
https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1419365133172740103?s=20

I never see the supposed Cancel Culture mob doing organized RottenTomatoes review bombing. Is this all they have? Mobbing what is essentially an online poll on a site that nobody with a life would ever both creating an account for?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's literally that bad. Genuinely, these people are the hardcore leftovers of the crowd who were worked up into a frothy rage about Anita Sarkeesian in 2014, and would not have been satisfied with a He-Man reboot unless it started with based and redpilled Prince Adam exiling all the female characters to the Shadow Realm while talking about MGTOW.

I think even then, they only maintain an online presence because there's an astroturfed series of right-wing clickbait sites ginning up outrage over everything that might feasibly drive ad traffic. At some point they're just creating their own controversies in order to water the tree of their outrage-thirsty userbase.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The most ironic part of this He-Man business is that I don't expect it to stick. Adam hasn't expressly died (again), and it'd be really freaking weird if a ten part mini-series ended its first half and everything was restored hunky dory.

This is a "darkest before the dawn" type situation, mark my words.

In the end, what is there to cry "wokeness" about? That a woman takes center stage for a bit? That there's a woman of color? The brief moment where Andra and Teela have a moment of friendship that if you seriously squint MIGHT be gay? Please.

Revelation is relatively tame as far as these reboots go. People don't know what they're talking about.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

The most ironic part of this He-Man business is that I don't expect it to stick. Adam hasn't expressly died (again), and it'd be really freaking weird if a ten part mini-series ended its first half and everything was restored hunky dory.

In the end, what is there to cry "wokeness" about? That a woman takes center stage for a bit? That there's a woman of color? The brief moment where Andra and Teela have a moment of friendship that if you seriously squint MIGHT be gay? Please.

Revelation is relatively tame as far as these reboots go. People don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, it's literally nothing. Adam dying is something you'd only expect to be permanent status quo if you had the object permanence of a baby. Other than that it's literally just like, "women exist, many are muscular, one has an undercut".

I think it's difficult to overstate how openly and explicitly misogynistic and homophobic these people are, though, if you browse the Twitter profiles of a couple of the complete tools linked above there are plenty of memes angrily calling Teela a lesbian or a feminist or a Karen. They're mad because they hate women, but also because hating women drives viewership and they will take literally any excuse to try and recapture the ad views they got from teacup storms like The Last Jedi or the Ghostbusters reboot.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nodosaur posted:

See, as I read that I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode of The Owl House because I'm desperate to learn what happens next with the 14 year old bisexual Hispanic girl and the also 14 year old humanoid lesbian girl who kissed her (on the cheek and it was adorable) Compared to TOH, He-Man's "wokeness" resembles a not-quite vegetative coma.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, that's largely my point. People are screaming Smith went "full woke" and it mostly adds up to "women and black people exist".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, that's largely my point. People are screaming Smith went "full woke" and it mostly adds up to "women and black people exist".

That's basically their argument against literally every show they hate for clicks and money. Add in queer people and you've got the whole platter covered.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

That's basically their argument against literally every show they hate for clicks and money. Add in queer people and you've got the whole platter covered.

Yeah, and I'm just sitting here going "WHAT queer people?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, and I'm just sitting here going "WHAT queer people?"

Teela touched Andra on the shoulder and smiled at her once or twice in recognition of something her protege accomplished either on her own merits or through teamwork. This clearly means they're gay. Ignore the fact that Teela has not stopped thinking about or pining away for Adam since the day he died*.

I also love the chud narrative that Teela is somehow selfish for reacting poorly to the revelation that basically everyone in her life except equally oblivious King Randor had been lying to her for years, and both versions of the man she loved literally just died ten minutes ago and his death was the thing that exposed that lie in the first place. Yes, someone reacting incredibly poorly to those things happening all at once and then taking some time to slowly get over those traumas is a total irredeemable selfish bitch. What a monster.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 25, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Teela touched Andra on the shoulder and smiled at her once or twice in recognition of something her protege accomplished either on her own merits or through teamwork. This clearly means they're gay. Ignore the fact that Teela has not stopped thinking about or pining away for Adam since the day he died*.

I also love the chud narrative that Teela is somehow selfish for reacting poorly to the revelation that basically everyone in her life except equally oblivious King Randor had been lying to her for years, and both versions of the man she loved literally just died ten minutes ago and his death was the thing that exposed that lie in the first place. Yes, someone reacting incredibly poorly to those things happening all at once and then taking some time to slowly get over those traumas is a total irredeemable selfish bitch. What a monster.

Honestly I think you'd be happier exploring Giorgio Tsoukalos's Ancient Aliens narrative. It's full of bullshit and more than a little racist at points, but it does visit some pretty (and pretty interesting) places and is a lot more fun than reading even more Rage, Rage from my mommy's basement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Honestly I think you'd be happier exploring Giorgio Tsoukalos's Ancient Aliens narrative. It's full of bullshit and more than a little racist at points, but it does visit some pretty (and pretty interesting) places and is a lot more fun than reading even more Rage, Rage from my mommy's basement.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don’t really know anything about He-Man from the 80s show, so is there a recap video on YouTube or should I go into the new show blind?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I don’t really know anything about He-Man from the 80s show, so is there a recap video on YouTube or should I go into the new show blind?

I only had a cursory knowledge of the series myself (the only shows in the franchise I’ve seen in full so far are this and SPoP) but I was still able to follow along with and enjoy Revelation regardless.

So if you at least have a sense of what the characters and setting are like you should be fine despite it being a pseudo sequel (if not, just look up a wiki article or something beforehand).

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

JazzFlight posted:

Got you covered...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7wOGyAzpw

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm begining to wonder if having the (somewhat obvious) reversal of the state of things be left in the wilderness for six months in sevrvice of Netflix's trough viewing model is doing the show a diservice (moreso than it does normally, I mean) and letting the chuds have a foodhold where they really shouldn't.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

It's not like they have the Ancient Aliens wearing white hooded robes or flying around in burning cross rockets or anything. There's just this constant subtle drumbeat of "Well, ancient humans were such stupid, primitive fucks that they couldn't so much as wipe their own asses without help/technology from the Star Peoples." Really the racism of Ancient Aliens is directed at the whole human race rather than at specific ethnic/cultural subgroups.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KingKalamari posted:

Got you covered...

Stunned it took this long with He-Man discussion for this to get posted

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

It's not like they have the Ancient Aliens wearing white hooded robes or flying around in burning cross rockets or anything. There's just this constant subtle drumbeat of "Well, ancient humans were such stupid, primitive fucks that they couldn't so much as wipe their own asses without help/technology from the Star Peoples." Really the racism of Ancient Aliens is directed at the whole human race rather than at specific ethnic/cultural subgroups.

What the gently caress are you talking about and how is this relevant to anything that is being discussed here, you weirdo?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about and how is this relevant to anything that is being discussed here, you weirdo?

I think maybe they're (badly) trying to suggest that actively seeking out lovely chud takes to get mad at isn't entirely healthy? Which is a sentiment I can sorta get behind, at least, even if the post itself is pretty :psyduck:.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
...Changing the subject, unless anyone has a burning desire to put something together, I've got a basic OP written up for an Amphibia thread. Any suggestions for thread titles?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think maybe they're (badly) trying to suggest that actively seeking out lovely chud takes to get mad at isn't entirely healthy? Which is a sentiment I can sorta get behind, at least, even if the post itself is pretty :psyduck:.

Were it so easy to avoid short of never looking at the internet ever again, I suppose.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Acebuckeye13 posted:

...Changing the subject, unless anyone has a burning desire to put something together, I've got a basic OP written up for an Amphibia thread. Any suggestions for thread titles?

How about In Frog We Trust?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

There’s an extension called BlockTube that’s available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera that allows you to completely voip these permanently inflamed penis-possessors from ever showing up again in your recommendations, search results, related videos, and even off-site embeds. I’ve been using it for like 3 years now and it has made my YouTube viewing algorithm-proof.

I must know more about that extension and if there's an app version.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Start the forbidden thread! :toot:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 26, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67215zbSNQ4

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm begining to wonder if having the (somewhat obvious) reversal of the state of things be left in the wilderness for six months in sevrvice of Netflix's trough viewing model is doing the show a diservice (moreso than it does normally, I mean) and letting the chuds have a foodhold where they really shouldn't.
The twist ending is the funniest part and the strongest note they could possibly end on, such that there's no way that the back half ever measures up to it.

The chuds will whip up frothing reactionary rage about anything and everything no matter what.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Everyone posted:

Really the racism of Ancient Aliens is directed at the whole human race rather than at specific ethnic/cultural subgroups.

Which is, of course, why they very rarely if ever bring up Europe and European peoples on the show