Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magusperivallon
Jul 25, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punishedkissinger posted:

what does proof of work give us that couldnt be done without burning barrels of gasoline?

...A key component of Bitcoin's network and an opportunity to disrupt the banking system long enough to make transformative change with respect to the climate. Reason being that finance now dominates our economic system and with things like Citizens United, the tight network of bankers between the central bank and the private banks and the finance sector's influence over Congress and the White House, we have little chance at transforming society through electoral politics. The first part of my essay goes over this, I think you'd get a lot of reading that.

Thank you for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magusperivallon
Jul 25, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kw0134 posted:

Another Seraph special, where he throws a bunch of links which have little actual relationship to what he posted and pretends he's made a masterstroke of debating as opposed to proving beyond all doubt the gish galloping he's pulling on the forum.

1. I am not Seraph.
2. If you would like to engage in an actual debate, you could begin by reading the original post, then if you have questions regarding sources, quote specific sections, and we can go from there.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

LordSaturn posted:

this contrasts interestingly with your avatar tbh

lol, i own a little 1000 square foot bungalow, a 2013 Toyota and have absolutely no debt. while i'm certainly not wealthy, i am living on passive income from good growth mutual funds, instead of stupid bullshit like bitcoin.

e: once China cut bitcoin loose, the writing was on the wall. it's over.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 26, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

magusperivallon posted:

...A key component of Bitcoin's network and an opportunity to disrupt the banking system long enough to make transformative change with respect to the climate. Reason being that finance now dominates our economic system and with things like Citizens United, the tight network of bankers between the central bank and the private banks and the finance sector's influence over Congress and the White House, we have little chance at transforming society through electoral politics. The first part of my essay goes over this, I think you'd get a lot of reading that.

Thank you for asking.

but only a small number of rich people control the system behind proof of work as well. why should i trust these rich people when they are even less accountable than the banks?

why would i want to massively accelerate climate change just to give financial power to a group of unaccountable C02 barons?

i'm not reading your essay btw.

magusperivallon
Jul 25, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twelve by Pies posted:

Instead of wasting power from fossil fuels for their completely useless bullshit one day buttcoin might waste power from solar or wind for their completely useless bullshit and this is somehow better than just not wasting power on completely useless bullshit in the first place.

If I drive around my block five hundred times a day and waste gas it would be beyond loving idiotic to claim that I was helping to push a societal change to renewable energy if I switched to an electric vehicle and drove around my block five hundred times a day.

The only way buttcoin is helping to "promote renewable energy" is by burning up the limited supply of fossil fuels we have even faster so that the planet won't have a choice but to use renewable energy because there won't be any other type of energy left.

I forgot to address the issue of renewable energy. For one thing, I am not arguing that Bitcoin promotes renewable energy. I think you have conflated my essay with some nonsense you've read on Twitter. I suggest reading my original post so you can understand my argument. In fact, if you read my article I mention that roughly 28-51% of the Bitcoin mining network is likely renewable based, in comparison, California is around 66% and Georgia is 9%. I also make a comparison to the issue that the data centers faced in the previous decade, where there was pressure for the industry to move to renewables. It's illustrative of how external pressure can work to push mining toward 100% renewable energy. Moreover, if you read my original post and understand my argument, you'll see that what I am arguing is that Bitcoin has value and therefore the use of energy is worthwhile. Data centers, by comparison, use 1-3% of our electricity consumption globally. Mining uses around 0.31%. Most people have no problem with energy consumption so long as it means their cat videos live on forever.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

i still have questions about pencil manufacturing and the murder of JFK, seraph.

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/seraphs-ted-talk

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

Oh, so you mean the miner network is so powerful that it use that power for other important computational tasks?
-- No, the network can literally only compute hashes for blocks

Okay, so then that means that they can process a whole lot of blocks very quickly and lots of transactions very quickly?
-- No, there is a hard cap on the number of new blocks every 10 minutes, and thus a hard cap on the number of transactions.
You understand the situation, but I don't think you understand why it's been programmed that way, and why that has value for us as users of this protocol.

A computer scientist posted:

In a theoretical sense, final settlement doesn't exist at all on any blockchain. What settlement assurance you do get from a blockchain is a function of the energy an attacker would have to expend in order to rewrite your transactions or spend their own coins twice. But with enough electricity, any blockchain can be rewritten by hostile miners who want to go back in time, change or delete transactions, then re-mine everything that happened up until the present.

What keeps hostile miners from doing so is the electricity they will need to overpower the friendly miners and satisfy the proof of work difficulty of the blocks they are trying to rewrite. So let's consider the imaginary example of Coin X. It features 5 second block times and claims to be "faster than Bitcoin." So you download the Coin X node software, or a Coin X wallet for your phone, and withdraw your Coin X coins from an exchange. 5 seconds later you get a "confirmed" notification because the Coin X miners have included your transaction into a block.

But despite what the software says, in reality you have no assurance that this transaction can't be rolled back until a significant amount of electricity has been spent by the entire Coin X network to make it prohibitively difficult for an attacker to erase your transaction. In Bitcoin it is common practice to wait 6 blocks for settlement assurance. With 10 minute blocks, 6 blocks is just Bitcoin-speak for "about an hour." It means that your transaction is buried under the electricity consumption of the entire network for about an hour.

So how much electricity is that? Well no one knows exactly how much energy Bitcoin miners consume, but the estimates are anywhere between 55 to 120 Terawatt hours per year. So let's take the average and use 87.5 TwH. 87.5 Terawatt hours = 87,500,000,000 Kwh hours

There are 8760 hours in a year

That equals 9,988,584.47 Kilowatts used in 1 hour.

This amount of expended energy is what secures your transaction. Not the block time. Not the "confirmed" icon. Not even cryptography.

So let's compare Bitcoin to Coin X. Let's say for the sake of argument that Coin X has 1 megawatt of constant power on it's network. This would be less than Bitcoin, but still it would be a lot of electricity. 1 Megawatt = 1,000 kilowatts. 1,000 kilowatts for 24 hours is 24,000 kilowatts.

So in order to get a Coin X security guarantee that is equivalent to Bitcoin, you'd have to wait for 7,191,781 Coin X blocks, which would take 416.19 days, or 1.14 years. Last year, Bitcoin moved anywhere between $5 billion to $48 billion in value every day. A network moving that much value requires the fastest and most trustworthy settlement assurances possible. Bitcoin provides this through the way miners consume energy on the network.

This is why any time you read about "faster block times" you know it's 100 percent pure bullshit.

tango alpha delta posted:

i only wish someone who is actually good with money would call you out on your bullshit, seraph.
They'd need to register an account here first. Convincing them to do so would be no easy task for a community that continues to spew so much bile about the protocol which such a person would ipso facto be a passionate supporter of. The reality you somehow continue to actively avoid accepting is that the people who most deeply understand money are the ones capitulating to Bitcoin with the least hesitation and the greatest alacrity.

drk posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

That same computer scientist posted:

To focus on whether Bitcoiners are nice or not displays a lack of self-awareness. You own Bitcoin so I don't include you in this critique but for anyone using it as a reason not to buy Bitcoin they are being childish and naive. If Person A is thirsty, and Person B owns water, Person A still needs the water even if Person B is mean. Thirsty people need water just like people who earn money through their labor need a savings technology.

Bitcoin is here to empower people with a savings technology that cannot be stolen by the state. The state will not be nice when this issue comes to a head, and I think it will. For any cryptocurrency to survive it must have a chance of thriving even with the most powerful adversaries on Earth trying to slit its throat.

In such an environment Ethereum has zero chance of successfully contravening the wishes of the state. Ethereum is a corporate playground. I have no problem with corporations. I own a very small corporation. There is a place in the world for corporations. But make no mistake Ethereum is just a corporation, welded to the mast of the US dollar. Proof of Stake derives all of its value from the existing monetary system, and is therefore no threat to it. Plus Ethereum is too large and unwieldy to resist the state. Ethereum will play ball with all regulators in all jurisdictions. It will continue to exist, I grant you that, but it will only exist with conditions favorable to the state. And when the state needs a bailout, Ethereum will be there to bail.

Friends, let us take a moment to reflect together on the first post in this thread:

Waltzing Along posted:

Tether info:

People were freaking out when it hit $2000 about six months ago. But it has tripled since then? This is crazy.

Anyone know why it has been skyrocketing all year? It's starting to look like it might actually stick around. Which is going to make all the naysayers look pretty drat stupid. Especially the ones who could have bought in when it was "cheap." Especially in comparison to where it is now. gently caress, you could have tripled your $$$ in six months. That just doesn't happen very often.

I've heard that bitcoin is being used in many places in Japan now. Apparently businesses there look at it as a legitimate currency. Is this happening elsewhere? Is the US just slow to catch up with the rest of the world (again?)

Prophetic, no? Perhaps we should listen to what OP has to say about it today?

Spatial posted:

You guys seem really down on Bitcoin, but it's really brought freedom and opportunity to many people. For example people who hack into hospitals and take their patient records hostage now have the freedom to be paid their ransom in a discreet and convenient way. That wasn't practical before Bitcoin!
:shuckyes:

You make an excellent point! For that matter,

quote:

In the United States, there are approximately 1000 deaths per year, as a result of electrical injuries. Of these, approximately 400 are due to high-voltage electrical injuries, and lightning causes 50 to 300. There are also at least 30,000 shock incidents per year which are non-fatal.
Why are we putting lightning in our walls?! Such hubris, to dare harness the power of Zeus himself! Has the world gone mad?! Surely you can see that the Gods will punish us for this sacrilege! This madness must be stopped at once!

kw0134 posted:

They've discovered the essential definition of currency. Give them a round of applause.
Close. We've redefined it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Powder keg posted:

They'd need to register an account here first. Convincing them to do so would be no easy task for a community that continues to spew so much bile about the protocol which such a person would ipso facto be a passionate supporter of. The reality you somehow continue to actively avoid accepting is that the people who most deeply understand money are the ones capitulating to Bitcoin with the least hesitation and the greatest alacrity.

lol, i'm already here. i survived the worst pandemic in a century, kept my home and my vehicles and remained debt free. i am very, very good at managing money and there is no loving way i will ever touch bitcoin.

lol, you are also using ipso facto completely wrong in this context. let me help you:

bitcoin is ipso facto gambling for nerds.

there you go.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 26, 2021

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

magusperivallon posted:

1. I am not Seraph.

That sounds exactly like something Seraph would say :hmmno:

I did skim your essay, which honestly is as much as you can hope for, and I don't see how Bitcoin can abolish or even temporarily disrupt central banking, let alone why that's a good thing. If carbon intensive economic activity is more profitable than green activity , the solution is a Pigouvian tax to suck up that profitability, not to burn more electricity running random number generators in a race to the bottom.

magusperivallon posted:

Moreover, if you read my original post and understand my argument, you'll see that what I am arguing is that Bitcoin has value and therefore the use of energy is worthwhile. Data centers, by comparison, use 1-3% of our electricity consumption globally. Mining uses around 0.31%. Most people have no problem with energy consumption so long as it means their cat videos live on forever.

Hmm...on the one hand we have keeping the Internet running; on the other hand we have antisocial techbros burning out graphics cards to guess random numbers slightly faster efficiently than a bunch of other antisocial techbros, in order to possibly one day stop banks from lending to fossil fuel companies despite themselves constituting the fastest-growing demand for fossil fuels. There are lot of missing steps there, and I'm still siding with the data centers on this one.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Anyone who registers and posts in the bitcoin thread on the same day is Seraph until proven otherwise. Especially those who employ the same grammatical voice.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And, you know, buy angry passive aggressive titles.

They're so loving not mad that someone doesn't believe in their waste machine

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lol, i'm already here. i survived the worst pandemic in a century, kept my home and my vehicles and remained debt free. i am very, very good at managing money and there is no loving way i will ever touch bitcoin.
I won't dispute your money management expertise. I also don't care, don't think it matters at all, and made no claims about money management in the first place.

I made a claim about a hypothetical person's understanding of money the technology. Which is all it is, a technology. It is perhaps the most politically-charged technology in history, but ultimately, it's just a tool like any other. It has no special inherent properties that imply it must be controlled by nation states. And soon it won't be, ever again.

lol, you are also using ipso facto completely wrong in this context.
I'm not. To be clear, I'm saying anyone with a deep historically contextualized understanding of money would ipso facto (by that very fact) be quick to understand Bitcoin's value proposition, philosophical importance, and historical significance.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Powder keg posted:

I won't dispute your money management expertise. I also don't care, don't think it matters at all, and made no claims about money management in the first place.

I made a claim about a hypothetical person's understanding of money the technology. Which is all it is, a technology. It is perhaps the most politically-charged technology in history, but ultimately, it's just a tool like any other. It has no special inherent properties that imply it must be controlled by nation states. And soon it won't be, ever again.

I'm not. To be clear, I'm saying anyone with a deep historically contextualized understanding of money would ipso facto (by that very fact) be quick to understand Bitcoin's value proposition, philosophical importance, and historical significance.

lol, you aren't interested in any kind of discussion; you are trying to hold court with an audience that very clearly resents your arrogance. c'mon, seraph, you are turning 37 pretty soon and you still haven't learned how to read the room, man.

you should probably leave now.

china killed bitcoin. it's dying.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin/Tether is so stupid

How stupid is it

It’s so stupid it’s just a currency-thing backed by a drawer full of random cords owned by an old engineer who never went to college. Only you can’t actually see the drawer and have to trust the engineer’s word that his drawer is full of cords. And every time you ask him if his drawer is still full of cords he burns down 10 square miles of Amazon rainforest.

This is good for Bitcoin because the banks use paper and paper comes from trees so Bitcoin is fighting back by burning the forests down

E: gently caress you seraph

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lol, you aren't interested in any kind of discussion; you are trying to hold court with an audience that very clearly resents your arrogance. c'mon, seraph, you are turning 37 pretty soon and you still haven't learned how to read the room, man.

you should probably leave now.
That would be incredibly disrespectful and discompassionate of me. After all you've done for me - all the joy this place has brought me over the years.

No, I'm afraid I owe you this. It's just basic human decency.

china killed bitcoin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYbsq3FXfM

https://taproot.watch/

jokes posted:

E: gently caress you seraph

Noam Chomsky:

Hume was a great philosopher. He wrote an important essay, “Of the First Principles of Government” (1741), one of the classic texts on what we now call political philosophy or political science. He opens his study by raising a question. He’s surprised, he says, to see the “easiness” with which people subordinate themselves to power systems. That’s a mystery, because the people themselves really have the power. Why do they subject themselves to masters? The answer, he says, must be consent: the masters succeed in what we now call manufacturing consent. They keep the public in line by their belief that they must subordinate themselves to power systems. And he says this miracle occurs in all societies, no matter how brutal or how free.

“The people themselves really have the power. Why do they subject themselves to masters? The answer, Hume says, must be consent.”

Hume was writing in the wake of the first democratic revolution, the English revolution of the mid-seventeenth century, which led to what we call the British constitution—basically, that the king will be subordinate to parliament. Parliament at that time basically meant merchants and manufacturers. Hume’s close friend, Adam Smith, wrote about the consequences of the revolution. In his own famous book The Wealth of Nations (1776), he pointed out that the now sovereign “merchants and manufacturers” are the true “masters of mankind.” They used their power to control the government and to ensure that their own interests are very well taken care of, no matter how “grievous” the effect on the people of England—and even worse, on those who are subject to what he called “the savage injustice of the Europeans,” referring mainly to the British rule in India.
The year before Smith published The Wealth of Nations, the American Revolution broke out. About a decade later the American Constitution was formed, very much like during the first democratic uprising. That’s presented as a conflict between the king and parliament. And it ended, as I said, with the king being subordinate to parliament, the rising merchant and manufacturing class.

But that’s not the whole story. There was also the general public, which didn’t want to be ruled by either king or parliament. It was a lively pamphlet period. Itinerant workers and ministers reached much of the general public. Their pamphlets and talks called for being ruled by fellow countrymen, who know the people’s wants, not by knights and gentlemen who only want to oppress the people. They called for universal health, universal education, and many things. But they were ultimately crushed. Hume and Smith both wrote after the victory of the merchants and manufacturers in Britain—not only over the king, but over the general public.

This was reenacted in the American Constitution, as Michael Klarman documents in his book The Framers’ Coup (2016). The public wanted democracy. The Framers—wealthy men, nearly half of them slave owners—wanted to prevent the threat of democracy, much like the men of “best quality,” as they called themselves during the first democratic revolution. It didn’t take more than a few years for James Madison to realize what Smith had realized before. In 1791 he wrote a letter to his friend Thomas Jefferson in which he deplored the collapse of the democratic system that he hoped he had established—not too much democracy, but at least some. The stock-jobbers—in our day that means the financial institutions—had taken so much power, Madison deplored, that they had become the “tool and tyrant” of government. They work for government but they also control government, working for their own interests.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin is made of poop from a butt

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

buttcoin

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Powder keg posted:

That would be incredibly disrespectful and discompassionate of me. After all you've done for me - all the joy this place has brought me over the years.

seraph, trying to force us to accept you is a very, very strange way to show your gratitude. that ship has sailed. there is absolutely nothing you can do to make me accept you so please gently caress off.

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It took us two hundred and thirty three years, my friends, but we have at last undone the stock-jobbers. They are defeated. We've defeated the masters of the capitalist universe.

That's an incredible achievement. It's a miracle, a thing of tremendous joy! We should be celebrating, not wallowing in resentment and self-pity!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
honestly thank you to that guy for coming in and posting worse than me

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

Bitcoin/Tether is so stupid

How stupid is it

It’s so stupid it’s just a currency-thing backed by a drawer full of random cords owned by an old engineer who never went to college. Only you can’t actually see the drawer and have to trust the engineer’s word that his drawer is full of cords. And every time you ask him if his drawer is still full of cords he burns down 10 square miles of Amazon rainforest.

This is good for Bitcoin because the banks use paper and paper comes from trees so Bitcoin is fighting back by burning the forests down
https://climatemoney.substack.com/p/carbon-cost-of-dollars

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
whats up with the long posts lately, nobody readin that poo poo

idc if you are or arent seraph, post better

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i'm just scrubbing through some MQ9 Reaper drone surveillance footage of seraph and it looks like these long rambling posts coincide with his roommate 'leaving town' for awhile.

bitcoin is dead.

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

seraph, trying to force us to accept you is a very, very strange way to show your gratitude. that ship has sailed. there is absolutely nothing you can do to make me accept you so please gently caress off.
You misunderstand. I neither need nor seek your acceptance.

I only want you to accept reality. For your own good. And for all our sakes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This is one of the few threads on these forums that you can be guaranteed that the longer a post is, the less informative it will be.

The buttcoin paradox

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'm just scrubbing through some MQ9 Reaper drone surveillance footage of seraph and it looks like these long rambling posts coincide with his roommate 'leaving town' for awhile.
Readers, if you ever find yourself arriving at this level of deranged violent power fantasy, consider seeking professional help.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Powder keg posted:

Readers, if you ever find yourself arriving at this level of deranged violent power fantasy, consider seeking professional help.

lol, Reapers are flying over New York all the time. it's pretty loving easy to add one more task if you know who to talk to.

so we have already witnessed the three stages of seraph, like a deranged Pokemon!

Preachy
Jokey
Gaslighting

You are extremely predictable and not at all trustworthy.

bitcoin is dead.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 26, 2021

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Talking poo poo about any faith-based operation (such as religion, or Star Citizen) on a public forum means it's just a matter of time before the Preachers and Evangelists burst in to show you that their particular set of brainwires are arranged perfectly and if you just listen to them bombard you with conflicting information for several hours at a moment of personal weakness they too can show you the light*. I can fully believe Seraph's pulled at least one other cryptonerd from whatever goblin bunker they live in but unless they intro-post like human beings it might as well be two of him.

Seraph! I noticed in one of your recent addled fugues you posted a bunch of links to a pop psychology podcast in an attempt to blanket-own all the humans who aren't you. Since you're a fan, go back to that content and listen super carefully to the recent episode about insecure narcissism, specifically the part where they talk about how people with those traits pathologically return to a place they were owned in a hopeless double-down of attempting to save face that ends with them (and everyone else) feeling markedly worse than if they'd just taken the L and hosed off. Sound familiar??

* Buy an Idris

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lol, let the gaslighting begin!

i'm just scrubbing through some MQ9 Reaper drone surveillance footage of seraph

quote:

It's not a video game.

This is important to understand because drones are often portrayed as turning killing "into a video game". But that's not an accurate analogy. At a purely ergonomic level, the controls of an MQ-9 Reaper drone are actually neither as sophisticated nor as sensitive as state-of-the-art gaming controllers. The MQ-1 Predator, on which the MQ-9 Reaper is based, was rushed into service after 9/11 and typical military aircraft testing and development was not carried out because of time constraints. As a result, the controls were not developed to be as user-friendly as they will be in the Reaper's successors.

More important is the human dimension. When Reaper crews have followed someone for days or weeks, their target is not just pixels on a screen but a living human being. Operators watch targets spend time with family and friends and even playing with their children. Crews, commanders and image analysts also continue to watch from above after a missile or bomb strike, conducting battle damage assessment. They see the bits of bodies being collected and taken for burial. They see grieving, devastated family members. And they know it is no game with a reset button.

Life and death decisions

As a result, operating a drone carries real risks. For one thing, terrorists have tried to target Reaper pilots and published a hit-list. But more prevalent is the psychological risk in repeatedly witnessing traumatising events and lethal strikes in close-up detail.

What is it like to be a military drone operator? When waging war becomes more like a game of Pacman, what does it do the minds of the people joggling the joysticks in front of computer screens? A senior Reaper commander has described the impact of this as "far greater than it ever was with a manned cockpit". These psychological effects are not yet fully understood but the risk is there. As one sensor operator I interviewed said: "If anybody on the Reaper fleet says it doesn't affect them, then they're lying. It does. It has to."

Remotely piloted aircraft like the Reaper will provide key air force capabilities for generations to come. For people to debate this technology in a useful way, they need to know what they can and cannot do. And understand that their governments are not using autonomous drones to kill random victims. Human operators are making life and death decisions with huge consequences for everyone involved.

Peter Lee is Professor of Applied Ethics and Director, Security and Risk Research, University of Portsmouth.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/qassem-soleimani-drone-attack-this-is-how-reaper-airstrike/11852740

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Powder keg posted:

No, I'm afraid I owe you this. It's just basic human decency.

This is some gross, creepy poo poo.

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lol, Reapers are flying over New York all the time. it's pretty loving easy to add one more task if you know who to talk to.
Cool. I have no way of verifying whether or not this is true, so in this case I'll choose to take your word for it.

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
― Nelson Mandela

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

https://jeffersonpapers.princeton.edu/selected-documents/james-madison-1

Somfin posted:

This is some gross, creepy poo poo.
But TAD's predator drone surveillance poo poo is cool in your book, right?

:jerkbag:

Powder keg fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 26, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

11 hours ago 186million tether went into binance, then 4 hours ago binance just created nearly 60+ million BUSD from thin air and bitcoin suddenly starts climbing hmm very interesting.

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Super Foul Egg posted:

Talking poo poo about any faith-based operation (such as religion, or Star Citizen) on a public forum means it's just a matter of time before the Preachers and Evangelists burst in to show you that their particular set of brainwires are arranged perfectly and if you just listen to them bombard you with conflicting information for several hours at a moment of personal weakness they too can show you the light*. I can fully believe Seraph's pulled at least one other cryptonerd from whatever goblin bunker they live in but unless they intro-post like human beings it might as well be two of him.

Seraph! I noticed in one of your recent addled fugues you posted a bunch of links to a pop psychology podcast in an attempt to blanket-own all the humans who aren't you. Since you're a fan, go back to that content and listen super carefully to the recent episode about insecure narcissism, specifically the part where they talk about how people with those traits pathologically return to a place they were owned in a hopeless double-down of attempting to save face that ends with them (and everyone else) feeling markedly worse than if they'd just taken the L and hosed off. Sound familiar??
Yeah, it does actually. It sounds like you've described every SA nocoiner with the audacity to continue posting in these threads.

Because, objectively, you are the ones who have been owned. There's irrefutable evidence I was telling you all to capitulate to Bitcoin when it was sub-$200 six years ago.

And you didn't. And you still won't. You are stubborn, you are arrogant, and you are wrong. And you will continue to be financially punished for your arrogance every day until the day you capitulate to Bitcoin.

You are, and forever will be, owned. It is currently 1627281203 unix epoch time. July 26th, 2021. 02:34 Eastern Standard Time. 1 Bitcoin is trading for 38,780 US dollars.

Kneel.

Powder keg fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 26, 2021

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Powder keg posted:

You are, and forever will be, owned.

Then why doesn't it feel that way, no matter how many times you say it? No matter how many accounts you make?

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Super Foul Egg posted:

Then why doesn't it feel that way, no matter how many times you say it? No matter how many accounts you make?
Delusion is helluva drug.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Powder keg posted:

And you didn't. And you still won't. You are stubborn, you are arrogant, and you are wrong. And you will continue to be financially punished for your arrogance every day until the day you capitulate to Bitcoin.
You are, and forever will be, owned.

And now the final form of Seraph, naked, unchecked arrogance. your mask falls off pretty fast when people don't coddle you, doesn't it? you are not to be trusted. at all.

i'm not being financially punished at all. in fact i made money last week with my passive non bitcoin investments and will continue to do so for a very long time.

e:you can totally confirm that Reapers are patrolling New York because Ft.Meade has to file flight plans with New York Air Traffic Control. for obvious security reasons they aren't going to tell you where the drones are or how many there are up in the sky, but rest assured that New York is under constant surveillance.

bitcoin is dead.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 26, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Ad by Khad posted:

let me be clear

gently caress off, seraph

go back to your 7 discords or something

Powder keg
Jul 25, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'm not being financially punished at all.
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand opportunity cost. Or the cold, terrible, unforgiving nature of unchangeable programmatic scarcity.

And now the final form of Seraph, naked, unchecked arrogance.
Final form? Oh, no my dear. We're a long way from that.

Pussy Pounder 9000 posted:

The year is 2435. Seraph84 surveys the desperate, knowledge-starved band of nocoiner stragglers laid out before him in the Bitcoin thread. Once their numbers were great, and their arguments sound. Now, they speak only in barely-literate gibberish. Like the anti-vaxxers before them, they were long ago banned from all educational facilities. They howl their mantra once again: "Bitcoin is heading for a crash back down to 3 trillion dollars per btc any moment now! You'll see, we'll get the last laugh!"

They are so sure of themselves. In 4 nanoseconds Seraph registers 40,000 new accounts, and begins the next stage of the 10,000 year forum war.
https://i.imgur.com/uQb4NK4.mp4

Powder keg fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 26, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Powder keg posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand opportunity cost. Or the cold, terrible, unforgiving nature of unchangeable programmatic scarcity.

your ideas are out of date; i own my own home free and clear. As a shelter it remains useful regardless of the whims of the economy.

e:dude, i can't beleive that's your only bathrobe!

china killed bitcoin.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

And now the final form of Seraph, naked, unchecked arrogance. your mask falls off pretty fast when people don't coddle you, doesn't it? you are not to be trusted. at all.

i'm not being financially punished at all. in fact i made money last week with my passive non bitcoin investments and will continue to do so for a very long time.

bitcoin is dead.

The real final form of Seraph briefly turned up in QCS late last year, performing a grand reveal of what anyone who has ever read any of his posts already knew.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3947567

After careful deliberation the decision to gently caress off was upheld, but everyone who reads his lucrative brainworms should at least be aware of this before deciding on what level to engage (it is pity).