Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I haven't traveled for an MMA event in some time and nothing I see really excites me but I guess Dana is probably sitting on some bangers for Q4 like the LW title and Ngannou.

I really hope Usman, Ngannou and Adesanya hold onto their titles because I will 1,000% go to Africa to watch a UFC fight.

Has anyone been to a live fight recently? I have to image its probably pretty similiar to pre-pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Wasn't someone posting in the GDT at the Texas card? Not sure if I'm remembering right.

Edit: Yeah here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967827&userid=98880

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
TJ Dillashaw is back, click here

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

I really hope Usman, Ngannou and Adesanya hold onto their titles because I will 1,000% go to Africa to watch a UFC fight.
Hell yeah, it would be so good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think I know why I don't like Ciryl Gane

Everything about him reminds me of a silent protagonist create-a-character from a mid 2000s era crime game but all the sliders are set to default

mewse
May 2, 2006

From the GDT:

TastyAvocado posted:

I think the really negative perception of TJ is really interesting because it's only because he was honest and fessed up to it. If he pretended it was a tainted supplement and then just shut up about it like everyone else does no one would give a poo poo. Like who cares that Andre Ewell on this card tested positive for a PED recently? Who cares that Yair Rodriguez has repeatedly avoided being tested? Who cares, or even knows, that Sean O'Malley recently tested positive for PEDs? Amanda Ribas? Marvin Vettori? Walt Harris? Neil Magny? Mairbek Taisumov? Some of it is that TJ is a very high profile fighter obviously, but I think it's mostly because he admitted to it.

TJ has never been likeable. I've followed him since he beat my home town boy on TUF, and his performance when he took the belt from Barao was stunning, one of the most dominant championship fights I've seen. That was TAM's first belt but immediately afterwards the whole "TJ is a snake" thing started with him leaving the gym and having all that bad blood with TAM/Garbrandt. Then the EPO thing showed he'd been cheating the whole time anyway.

Like I don't think the negative perception has anything to do with him admitting fault, I think it was his meteoric ascent + unlikeable personality + popped after losing to Cejudo

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Faber and Conor are both huge fan favorites, and they both had public feuds with TJ. That's enough to stick in the minds of fans, tj=snake The PEDs are just icing on the cake.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

beep by grandpa posted:

I think I know why I don't like Ciryl Gane

Everything about him reminds me of a silent protagonist create-a-character from a mid 2000s era crime game but all the sliders are set to default

Plus some randomly selected tattoos from the top row of generic options/placements.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it is bizarre like how do you inflate your head

HGH! My ex had to go on a round of growth hormone for an injury, and said around six months he could feel the spaces between his teeth starting to grow wider as his skull got larger.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Plus some randomly selected tattoos from the top row of generic options/placements.

HGH! My ex had to go on a round of growth hormone for an injury, and said around six months he could feel the spaces between his teeth starting to grow wider as his skull got larger.

holy poo poo. i have a dome that'd make tito blush. if i took hgh id probably look like mr mackey from south park

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

That is rank

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

I knew HGH swelled your dome but fuuuuck.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that idiot spin kick > get taken down combo from sandhagen was straight out of weidman/rockhold

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I hope aljamain can somehow pull off a win against petr, he gives me the heebie jeebies

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I feel bad for Aljamain cause he's a good fighter and I like him but all these commercials the UFC is pushing of him getting the belt and being a star are super cringey cause iirc he was completely getting his rear end kicked the entire time and had nothing for Yan up until the illegal knee and don't see their rematch going differently. Nothing against him cause UFC is gonna UFC but drat. I will def be rooting for him tho cause it would completely erase everything I just said :frogbon:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
iirc i thought he was doing all right in first two rounds with his boxing, but he was gradually panicking and losing control of the fight, and he failed on like a hundred takedowns, so the enduring image everyone has is of yan crushing him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Thought he more than held his own until he lost gas and was getting edged out in every exchange. I don’t see him catching Yan early, so hopefully he’s worked on staying strong for 5.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mickey Gall looked pretty drat good last night.

e: I'm really sad they didn't show a replay of that right that dropped Williams at 4:33. Gall has his left arm behind William's head in a half-clinch and just pulls him into an uppercut thrown from his back pocket. That punch was nasty and would have put some people out.

e2:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 25, 2021

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

There's also enough stories about TJ being a complete dick in sparring that it's safe to assume he's just a straight up rear end in a top hat.

Chris Holdsworth posted:

I was always up for the fight, but there was multiple occasions where T.J. got a little bit too aggressive, he went overboard in training. He’s kneeing you while we’re boxing. He’s throwing elbows while we’re doing jiu-jitsu. And I remember that instance that’s out in the public — yeah, it’s definitely true.
The instance he's referring to is when TJ illegally kneed him in sparring, concussing him and ending his career.
Sure a lot of the stories are coming from TAM and they have bad blood with TJ but Cody was 100% correct when he called TJ out on his PED use so I'm inclined to believe them.

Also here's him cheap shotting somebody after the bell in sparring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RhlVOyXpg

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I mean let's not forget TJ gleefully trying to kill a whole division and putting some guys out of a job.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

I mean let's not forget TJ gleefully trying to kill a whole division and putting some guys out of a job.
I mean killing flyweight was not TJ's decision to make, that was obviously Dana's- TJ was given the opportunity to be another multi division champ and he went for it just like anyone would and talked poo poo. The other stuff he did is mostly indefensible but it is a stretch to put the flyweight/cejudo stuff on him personally

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

e: I'm really sad they didn't show a replay of that right that dropped Williams at 4:33. Gall has his left arm behind William's head in a half-clinch and just pulls him into an uppercut thrown from his back pocket. That punch was nasty and would have put some people out.
Hockey punch, hell yeah

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean killing flyweight was not TJ's decision to make, that was obviously Dana's- TJ was given the opportunity to be another multi division champ and he went for it just like anyone would and talked poo poo. The other stuff he did is mostly indefensible but it is a stretch to put the flyweight/cejudo stuff on him personally

Nah. He didn't have to take the fight that obviously took huge effort to make weight for and also act like it was fun for him when he had his own division to deal with.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Saying a fighter "didn't have to" take a title fight offered to them- one that would earn them tons and tons of money and cement a huge milestone in their legacy upon winning is a pretty baffling & nonsense take

(Although it wouldn't have mattered if he won anyway since his dumbass was caught cheating)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Saying a fighter "didn't have to" take a title fight offered to them- one that would earn them tons and tons of money and cement a huge milestone in their legacy upon winning is a pretty baffling & nonsense take

(Although it wouldn't have mattered if he won anyway since his dumbass was caught cheating)

Take the fight, yes. Don't call yourself the division killer.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Take the fight, yes. Don't call yourself the division killer.

Yeah that was the actual problem, I remember him specifically saying he wants to shut the division down

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

And then Dana White, president of UFC, heard this from TJ and went "drat, I have no choice"

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
My favorite TJ memory is Conor calling him a snake to his face on TUF and TJ just sitting there and taking it, knowing that he is, in fact, a snake.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it's hard to verbalise what i felt watching the first tj / barao.

there were definitely people posting on these very forums who never thought barao was all that - and who rightly pointed out that barao lost the first to eddie wineland before eventually catching him. but he was still considered a very loving legit fighter and tj, having given absolutely no indication that he was on barao's level, let alone several rungs above, just absolutely annihilated him.

i guess it was like ronda / holm if you had fully bought into ronda's hype and you had no idea holm was a professional boxer, except tj spent over 20 minutes proving how out of his depth barao was. that barao got a rematch to this day astounds me. if i was the sanctioning body i'd make him submit me an essay with the aim to prove that putting him in there with tj again wouldn't be a crime against his brain. but they didn't and it happened again.

anyway it was loving rad but the man is still an absolute penis who i can't stand lol

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, it's ultimately not that uncommon to see a standardbearer get their rear end beat, but it's extremely uncommon to see a standardbearer get their rear end beat so thoroughly and comprehensively that you realize you're looking at a fighter you've seen wreck people for years and thinking "you could re-run this fight a hundred times and they'd never stand a loving chance." That Franklin/Silva, Jones/Shogun kind of poo poo where someone who's been on top long enough to be associated with the concept of the top itself looks like they don't even belong in the ring.

It is incredible to watch in any circumstance, and Dillashaw doing it by shuffle-dancing and throwing fourteen-punch combos just made it better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

it's hard to verbalise what i felt watching the first tj / barao.

there were definitely people posting on these very forums who never thought barao was all that - and who rightly pointed out that barao lost the first to eddie wineland before eventually catching him. but he was still considered a very loving legit fighter and tj, having given absolutely no indication that he was on barao's level, let alone several rungs above, just absolutely annihilated him.

i guess it was like ronda / holm if you had fully bought into ronda's hype and you had no idea holm was a professional boxer, except tj spent over 20 minutes proving how out of his depth barao was. that barao got a rematch to this day astounds me. if i was the sanctioning body i'd make him submit me an essay with the aim to prove that putting him in there with tj again wouldn't be a crime against his brain. but they didn't and it happened again.

anyway it was loving rad but the man is still an absolute penis who i can't stand lol

I wasn't surprised that he got a rematch. The case was there because he got stung early and never got back into the fight.

I'm surprised that he got two rematches after loving the first one up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

I wasn't surprised that he got a rematch. The case was there because he got stung early and never got back into the fight.

I'm surprised that he got two rematches after loving the first one up.

i don't remember him getting stung in the first one, but i do remember being completely unsurprised when tj did the exact same thing in the rematch only slightly faster and landing the only - no poo poo, i counted - ~38 punch combination i have ever seen

and sorry but, two rematches?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*counting on fingers* rematched tj.... onnnnncccceeee. yeah once. bathtub let's see one... two... ah. the tub.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

i don't remember him getting stung in the first one, but i do remember being completely unsurprised when tj did the exact same thing in the rematch only slightly faster and landing the only - no poo poo, i counted - ~38 punch combination i have ever seen

Yeah the tub. I'm 90% sure that TJ smoked him with a straight punch in the first round of the first fight ,and it was hard enough that Barao was visibly rattled after that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol at the tub. i don't know if it's just grass is greener but it seems like it used to be mma insanity used to be absurd and hilarious as opposed to the modern day's sad and sadder.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

And then Dana White, president of UFC, heard this from TJ and went "drat, I have no choice"

Actually yeah. TJ lost and the division is still open after all that build. Weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

answering my own question i'm pretty sure the grass is greener there isn't much funny about barao nearly literally dying trying to make weight multiple times except that people who posted here at the time made it seem funny so we could enjoy the sport rather than ruminate on its many, many, many failings.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Marching Powder posted:

In the first round by my count TJ hits him with 3 strong punches(not in a combo, just overall in the round), I think the first one was an uppercut, none of them seemed to bother Barao too much, and then:

(Right click and choose "show controls" to enable audio/volume slider)
https://i.imgur.com/xReXI3L.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/7XfZNCu.mp4

Marching Powder posted:

I'm assuming that's in reference to the UFC 177 one.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

In the first round by my count TJ hits him with 3 strong punches(not in a combo, just overall in the round), I think the first one was an uppercut, none of them seemed to bother Barao too much, and then:

(Right click and choose "show controls" to enable audio/volume slider)
https://i.imgur.com/xReXI3L.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/7XfZNCu.mp4

I'm assuming that's in reference to the UFC 177 one.

that overhand was sick. but i wouldn't say renan 'wasn't the same after it' or whatever. he just carried on getting beaten up badly.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Marching Powder posted:

that overhand was sick. but i wouldn't say renan 'wasn't the same after it' or whatever. he just carried on getting beaten up badly.

Yeah having just watched that entire fight, I'd agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Lombard calling out Twood

quote:

After so many years, finally I got to see this clown twooodley face to face.

He was calling me across the ring waving 👋 etc. I asked him to come over, so he did. Once he did I wanted to slap him in the face, but I contained myself because I have respect for @davidfeldmanbkfc

But let me tell you guys how the beef started…

A while ago I had a girlfriend and things were going really bad between us. And I had a relationship with with another girl at the gym and yes I was wrong for doing that but I’m not perfect in any shape of form. I’m not going to mention who but

this clown sent me a text.

Saying that while she was training she messed up her knee.

And that he was really good at wrapping, that he had experience in those types of injuries etc.

I gave him her number and I told her Tyrone says that he wants to help you, he is going to wrap your knee etc. Are you okay with that? and she says yes, No problem as long I can get better.

After that he was trying in her for a week and a half by bashing me telling her how come Hector is in Louisiana with his girlfriend and you’re here, that’s so wrong that no one likes Hector at the gym, so on and so on!

Putting me down so he could get his d..k wet. Meanwhile he was married with 4 kids etc. pure bullshit @liboriobjj begged me to leave it alone because he would lose his family if his wife found out what happened. He lost it anyways for doing the same

I have everything on text.

This clown 🤡 acts like he is a street guy etc.
No you’re not! lucky you and lucky me I found out you was gone! Remember when I called you and you were at the airport??
Funny how he was apologizing to me, sending me bible stories… you fake!
Everything is starting to unfold…
The truth is finally starting to come out

Some background music while you read:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6R7R2KjJaI