Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Costco has this thing where they'll help you buy a car by giving you the "real" price you're going to pay and act as you, the buyer's agent. haven't used it, heard it isn't bad.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jul 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

this is probably the most important point of all this. up until you give them money/sign paperwork, you can just leave and that’s their problem. they being slow and taking their sweet time drawing up the paperwork? walk out. does the salesman need the managers approval to give you the car with the pin stripe for the same price as without? okay goodbye.

Just to relate this to my own very recent experience: me and my brother got to the dealership at like 13:00, spoke to the salesman and selected a car after looking at several and ranking all the ones we looked at and test drove, then we get to the finance guy. The salesman has been entirely no pressure and easy to work with, I've been really friendly with him.

The finance guy tries a bunch of arguments that make no sense to me: I tell him we have our own financing through a credit union (hereafter referred to as "bank"). He tells us that sometimes there's issues with these banks where they tell you they're gonna approve your loan and then they don't, so it would be safer to go with in-house financing (with a much higher apr, almost double despite my brother's high credit score). I tell him if he cant get me a better apr than what we're getting, I'm not interested. He does some crap in the office and comes back out. He tells me that maybe the loan won't work out because of some fine print on the bank's website, he's not really sure but it would be terrible if it doesn't work out then we'd be back at square one. I tell him we'll take our chances because I'm literally holding a blank check from the bank in my notebook. Back to the office for a bit, he comes back with an apr that's better but still slightly higher than what we've got, he tells us sometimes the banks dont loan the full amount with these pre-approved check things and it would be terrible if we thought we got the deal done but I get a bill in a week for several thousand dollars. I have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about, so I tell him no. Office and back again, he tells us that it's a hassle to go through other banks, paperwork has to move around and sometimes stuff doesn't happen really fast and it might take a couple days, in-house financing is just gonna work and we can get the car tonight. I already worked it out with the salesman to where the car gets detailed on Monday and then we do the swap, so I don't care about a couple days in any case. I tell him this and he leaves and we don't see the finance guy anymore.

After like an hour of waiting in the showroom for whatever they do in their office (I just played games on my phone), our salesman drives us across the street to the business office and drops us off with the closer guy, it's now like 19:15 and the dealership closes at 20:00. My brother starts signing documents: odometer stuff, title transfer of our trade-in, registration of new plates, no issues. We get to the bill of sale or whatever that shows how much the car is and our trade in is and all that stuff, and the "unpaid balance due" (the amount of money we owe the dealership after everything is settled) is too high; specifically, the final amount was 1000$ more than the advertised price on the website because of taxes and fees.

I tell my brother not to sign and I tell the business guy that number needs to be lower. He tells me he has nothing to do with that, he just has us sign paperwork, the price should have been set when we talked to the salesman across the street, we'd need to go "all the way back" to the salesman to do something like that. I say okay, let's go back.

We stop everything and they sit us in this lounge near the business office. Our salesman comes in and asks us what's going on, and I tell him that number needs to go down. He tells us we are getting the price we asked for, the taxes and fees are legally required, there's nothing he can do. I tell him that it was my personal goal to get that car for the advertised price "out the door" and not any more, so he drops the price or we leave. He tells me again that the price is what we agreed on, the fees are required. I tell him to subtract money from the price of the car and/or add to our trade-in value, because my issue was the final number being too high, not that taxes and fees are being paid. He tells me that's a huge discount and there's no way he could do something like that. I tell him I checked the kelly blue book value of the car we're trying to buy and I know it's five grand less than I am willing to pay, so I know the dealership is making their money on this sale, I'm confident I can get the discount. He tells me the dewlership doesn't use kelly blue book so that information means nothing. I tell him again, I either get the discount or we're walking away from the whole thing.

He stands up and says he needs to go talk to his manager and leaves out one door. The very moment he leaves, the business guy walks in a different door and says he spoke to the manager already and the discount was approved. We go back in his office and finish signing everything, my brother turned down the optional extended warranty, we shake hands with the business guy and leave.

I know I left money on the table because we got the discount basically instantly, but I achieved my goal this time; next time I'll try to go a little lower. The 1000$ I saved my brother is a month of bills, so I'm happy. A lot of the arguments from the financing guy about taking delivery of the car later and the approval taking longer had nothing to do with me because of all the work I did before walking into the dealership and just because we were fortunate to be trading a car by choice and not necessity, but if I was in a more vulnerable position (needed a car for work tomorrow because mine broke down, had bad credit, didn't know how loans and aprs and things worked, had 3 kids with me that were all getting bored, etc.), I can see how some of that stuff could have affected me.

Eulogistics has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Jul 25, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I used truecar and my own financing and buying a car was fast and easy, that's my car buying story thanks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you turn into a lil poo poo in the car sealership youre basically remunerated hundreds of bucks an hour for it in savings

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why are US doctors so loving backwards? I browse r/residency alot and these guys work inhuman hours and yet just poo poo on M4A, midlevels and taxes for all their problems. US doctors cannot seem to allow themselves to understand that single payer universal healthcare works.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are they still paid way too much? Because it's either that, or they think they will be in a short while.

Also, change is scary, especially when it's not just your job, but the very field your career is in that's being changed. Some of them probably forget that no matter what* people are gonna need doctors, so unemployment is not likely.

*I guess full Ron Paul colloidal silver nutjob republican in charge could get rid of doctors.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

Why are US doctors so loving backwards? I browse r/residency alot and these guys work inhuman hours and yet just poo poo on M4A, midlevels and taxes for all their problems. US doctors cannot seem to allow themselves to understand that single payer universal healthcare works.

there are plenty who are for it. I worked for one and knew several. but some folks get into the profession to get fat stacks, so

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicAcne posted:

Lots of doctors are bad people

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Man I want to become a doctor but I'm always scared that I or my kids are going to become PMC poo poo heads.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
You don't want a doctor who got into it for the money

Which is why I'm proud to announce dctr, my new Uber for healthcare

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I went to a cvs recently to get my allergies looked at (because I have no health insurance so no regular doctor) and the nurse working their little urgent care thing was 57 working on her PhD and had no health insurance either.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

You don't want a doctor who got into it for the money

Which is why I'm proud to announce dctr, my new Uber for healthcare

in college I just wanted to learn about biology because it's cool, but tons of my classmates were cynical pre-meds taking things like organic chemistry for no reason except they had to on their fated journey to become the official doctor of the brooklyn nets or whatever, and it was an absolute loving joy to watch them loathe it. if you didn't care about the conformations of cyclohexane maybe you shouldn't have picked a profession that does, assholes

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

in college I just wanted to learn about biology because it's cool, but tons of my classmates were cynical pre-meds taking things like organic chemistry for no reason except they had to on their fated journey to become the official doctor of the brooklyn nets or whatever, and it was an absolute loving joy to watch them loathe it. if you didn't care about the conformations of cyclohexane maybe you shouldn't have picked a profession that does, assholes

A very funny joke around college application time, at least over here, is to recommend insurance math as a degree. Pretty easy to get in, and it has the highest starting salary of any degree with plenty of room to grow. Only thing is that it's crazy hard and boring math, so very few people actually make it through, especially the ones who care about the salary. Also your career will be in insurance, which is not really desirable on any level.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

ToxicAcne posted:

i wouldn't take reddit as a representative sample of anything except maybe gamergaters

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
The level of hatred for midlevels is asfo though. It's like the healthcare version of ludditism.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Are midlevels middle management in which case good gently caress em

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its from midlevels killin peeps from fuckups

(as opposed to the ordinary killin peeps from ordinary doctor fuckups lol)

the chiro and "naturopath" hate is 100% warranted tho. and np hate is also pretty warranted. the strategic aim of those is to break the ama labor cartel to juice hospital margins

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Jul 26, 2021

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Hmmm sounds like decomodifying healthcare would solve that. Nope better vote republican.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you turn into a lil poo poo in the car sealership youre basically remunerated hundreds of bucks an hour for it in savings

Yeah it helps to think of it like this.

Hours feel like a long time to dick around at the dealership, and hundreds feel like small change when you’re paying six five figures, but it’s absolutely worth your time to play the game.

e: Off-by-one error

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Jul 26, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it helps to think of it like this.

Hours feel like a long time to dick around at the dealership, and hundreds feel like small change when you’re paying six figures, but it’s absolutely worth your time to play the game.

Six figures?!?!?! For a car?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its from midlevels killin peeps from fuckups

(as opposed to the ordinary killin peeps from ordinary doctor fuckups lol)

the chiro and "naturopath" hate is 100% warranted tho. and np hate is also pretty warranted. the strategic aim of those is to break the ama labor cartel to juice hospital margins

Breaking the AMA labor cartel is good though they artificially restrict the number of m.d. slots at schools

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

ArmZ posted:

Breaking the AMA labor cartel is good though they artificially restrict the number of m.d. slots at schools

yeah i also had an eyebrow raised at this

i'm all for workers gettin' their slice of the pie by controlling the labor supply

but can we not start with the dudes making multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars already?

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

ArmZ posted:

That is a good thing, believe me. The marginal cases go to DO school or a diploma mill in the Caribbean, so you can readily identify them with a brief glance at their credentials and opt for somebody else who got better training.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oyak posted:

That is a good thing, believe me. The marginal cases go to DO school or a diploma mill in the Caribbean, so you can readily identify them with a brief glance at their credentials and opt for somebody else who got better training.

It is not, in fact, a good thing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weirdly other countries don't do this and somehow are not flooded with unqualified idiots who don't know how to doctor while also not having any of the labor shortage problems we do.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

While they probably meant five figures the higher end of the car market (ie, not exotic sports cars) has legit started slipping into six figures - it’s loving mind boggling

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Ironically, most of the poo poo they learn in the pre med track has fuckall to do with being a MD.

It's all so rear end backwards.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

While they probably meant five figures the higher end of the car market (ie, not exotic sports cars) has legit started slipping into six figures - it’s loving mind boggling

$1,000.00 is six figures :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my primary doctor is a DO/MD/FACP idk what any of that poo poo means besides MD which I think is medical doctor

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Oh poo poo! Does that mean I’m a millionaire?

lol nope

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some DOs are totally honest about “yeah that part of the coursework is a total waste of time, but slots are limited and it was my ticket to an education and career”.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go to one of those.

Shame Boy posted:

It’s seven, actually.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I priced this out one time just to see what it would end up being and lol:

doesn't include WA sales tax which is ~10% depending on the municipality

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's one ugly rear end car too

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's one ugly rear end car too

It comes with the culinary collection! It may be an ugly rear end car, but that's the sacrifice the upper class are willing to make to bypass speaking to plebs at a restaurant to book a reservation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82J_303SyMo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doggles posted:

It comes with the culinary collection! It may be an ugly rear end car, but that's the sacrifice the upper class are willing to make to bypass speaking to plebs at a restaurant to book a reservation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82J_303SyMo

When black blable memblers are rebby to plan their dinner, they simply call

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gently caress all pre-meds. They made my life a living hell as an undergraduate, they made my life a living hell as a graduate student, and they especially made my life a living hell as a professor. I loving hate those people with every fiber of my being and I loved it when they ate poo poo on my tests because they thought that by declaring pre-med it made them impressive or deserving of high marks or whatever. Suck the farts out of my rear end you rich little twat, you're not ever gonna be qualified to give someone a band-aid if I have any say in it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Laterite posted:

I priced this out one time just to see what it would end up being and lol:

doesn't include WA sales tax which is ~10% depending on the municipality

what is the culinary collection

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mycomancy posted:

gently caress all pre-meds. They made my life a living hell as an undergraduate, they made my life a living hell as a graduate student, and they especially made my life a living hell as a professor. I loving hate those people with every fiber of my being and I loved it when they ate poo poo on my tests because they thought that by declaring pre-med it made them impressive or deserving of high marks or whatever. Suck the farts out of my rear end you rich little twat, you're not ever gonna be qualified to give someone a band-aid if I have any say in it.

Sir this is a third grade classroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

what is the culinary collection

Read a few more posts and you'll find out, it's real disappointing though.