Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks everyone!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Another late game colony killed by low fps. They should have just made an ONI 2 and rewrote the thing from the ground up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What exactly is wrong with the atmosphere here?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Fools, simply chain doors together to open and close in sequence to smash gas into nothingness.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm still fairly new to the game, but made it the furthest I've been before, about 250 cycles. Everything was going well, I had nearly cleared out all the slime from the area just above my base, and far below, I had just discovered an area with crude oil that I was preparing to utilize.

Then the natural gas geyser I had been using for my 3 natural gas power plants went dormant, and everything in my base starting failing all at once. I don't have enough coal to last me very long.

Any tips for handling power in my next base?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I've fallen victim to overextension of my power resources more than once. I try to structure my systems as able to function on a reduced power supply and kind of have tiers of what I shut down if things start to get tight.

Also, always be stashing nat gas/hydrogen in high pressure containers.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm still fairly new to the game, but made it the furthest I've been before, about 250 cycles. Everything was going well, I had nearly cleared out all the slime from the area just above my base, and far below, I had just discovered an area with crude oil that I was preparing to utilize.

Then the natural gas geyser I had been using for my 3 natural gas power plants went dormant, and everything in my base starting failing all at once. I don't have enough coal to last me very long.

Any tips for handling power in my next base?
I love these kind of problems.
You can build dozens of gas containers to store it when it over produces. Use coal as backup. Make a battery bank to harness all energy. There's a lot of math around nat gas geysers because they've been in the game for a while. You want around 7 gens per geyser afaik.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ranch lots and lots of pips for renewable dirt and feed it to sage hatches for 100% conversion to coal. It’s 7 pips per sage hatch but it’ll also give you a lifetime supply of barbecue and lime in the process.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

temple posted:

I love these kind of problems.
You can build dozens of gas containers to store it when it over produces. Use coal as backup. Make a battery bank to harness all energy. There's a lot of math around nat gas geysers because they've been in the game for a while. You want around 7 gens per geyser afaik.

Yeah, I had smart batteries attached to my 3 generators, but those were pretty much depleted. Those 3 generators were supplying everything, and my grid was always overloaded. I need to play smarter.

corgski posted:

Ranch lots and lots of pips for renewable dirt and feed it to sage hatches for 100% conversion to coal. It’s 7 pips per sage hatch but it’ll also give you a lifetime supply of barbecue and lime in the process.

I had just hatched my first stone hatch. I haven't gotten as far as sage hatches yet!

I started a new game, and there is a natural gas geyser much closer to my starting base than the last one. We'll see.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nothing at all wrong with digging out a fuckhuge cavern around your geyser as a first-stage storage system, you can go back later and fill that cleared space up with gas storage tanks to double your capacity.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I had smart batteries attached to my 3 generators, but those were pretty much depleted. Those 3 generators were supplying everything, and my grid was always overloaded. I need to play smarter.

I had just hatched my first stone hatch. I haven't gotten as far as sage hatches yet!

I started a new game, and there is a natural gas geyser much closer to my starting base than the last one. We'll see.

I try to set up automation warnings so I can deal with problems before things get too dire.
So atmo pressure sensor in your natural gas cavern, water sensor to your spom input, temperature sensor in your food freezer, temperature sensor at your farm, stuff like that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Since geysers don't produce gas constantly, its best to find a way to harvest that gas for later use.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Power is kind of like water in ONI - at first you use far too much of it. e.g. Clean water is only actually required for research, that's it. Any other use beyond that is a pretty much just fuelling a luxury to increase mood.

Coal is a finite resource (unless you get a good ranching cycle going or a forest start and use wood burners + wild planted trees) and you can burn through it surprisingly fast. The ultimate energy sources you get is oil and solar, but that's a mid-game thing, and until you are there you need to have coal showing as a listed resource so you can keep an eye on it.

Gas geysers are an early game helper, but they do go dormant just as you start relying on them. Storage is part of the key - you need to pump the gas out and stick it in tanks if you can (saves electricity on pumping later), or a very large room. We're talking like 30+ gas tanks in a block amount of storage. The reason is - you want to make sure the geyser room never gets to 5kg gas pressure, else the geyser will stop producing. And, 30-odd tanks is usually about enough to last the dormancy with sensible usage - and sensible usage is 1-2 generators (maybe 3 if used in bursts with automation). (E: looked it up and yeah, a single geyser won't quite support 2 generators running continuously)

The main thing is to limit power usage until you get efficient machines - the only things that really requires power in the early game is research (again) and oxygen.
- Oxygen production is expensive, which is why getting a good SPOM up and running is usually the first main job in the early game. (Or be a filthy dirty hippy and rely on offgassing p.water all over the place. Surprisingly effective)
- Refining metals will eat through your coal stores until you get refineries/steam turbines/aquatuners, so you use the absolute minimum. Big batteries are good unless you really need the automation, even then you just need 1 smart one to do the switching.
- Pump water only if you have to, same with gases. Too much CO2? dig down some more to give it somewhere to go!

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 26, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

E: Quote is not edit!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I realized after I built my SPOM that I hadn't built any coal generators yet, so I was on track for the Super Sustainable achievement. Running a base off the hydrogen output of a single 1kg/sec SPOM is suffering. I have a natural gas geyser I boxed off, but that would invalidate the achievement. I've hit the surface, but glass furnaces for solar need 1.2kw of power so I can't get that running unless I have three dupes running on wheels the whole time.

I'm currently planning to build a second SPOM just below the surface and just pipe the excess into space.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Thanks guys, I started a new base, and found a ton of coal, and a natural gas geyser pretty close to the start. I've made a point of not building oxygen diffusers in every room like I had been, which seems to have cut way back on my power usage. Even still, I have like 25 tons of coal mined, and I can see a ton more.

As for the natural gas, I started building gas reservoirs like crazy, I think I built like 30 full of natural gas before the geyser went dormant. Now it's about to become active again, and I still haven't built any natural gas generators yet simply because I haven't needed to. So in preparation I'm building a bunch more reservoirs.

Question though. For situations like this, do you prefer to hook all the gas reservoir inputs all together so that as one gas reservoir finishes, it'll move onto the next? Or do you prefer to hookup one reservoir's output to the next one's input, and so forth, so that all the natural gas is moving constantly to the last reservoir in line?

Edit: I'm pretty happy, I managed to grow a room full of thimble reeds, so now I'm rolling deep in fiber. Do you guys make clothing for the dupes a lot?

Edit 2: I also finally built a farming station for my bristle blossoms, and I'm amazed at how quickly they grow now. I tore up my meal worm farm, as I'm drowning in gristleberries now.

I also finally built power stations for the power generators, which could explain why I'm getting so much more life out of my coal reserves than before. Turns out all these random extra things in the game actually serve a purpose.

I still need to figure out a way to automate draining my sanitized and purified bathroom waste reservoirs. Right now I'm draining them back into my wells manually by enabling and disabling the reservoirs.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 26, 2021

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks guys, I started a new base, and found a ton of coal, and a natural gas geyser pretty close to the start. I've made a point of not building oxygen diffusers in every room like I had been, which seems to have cut way back on my power usage. Even still, I have like 25 tons of coal mined, and I can see a ton more.

As for the natural gas, I started building gas reservoirs like crazy, I think I built like 30 full of natural gas before the geyser went dormant. Now it's about to become active again, and I still haven't built any natural gas generators yet simply because I haven't needed to. So in preparation I'm building a bunch more reservoirs.

Question though. For situations like this, do you prefer to hook all the gas reservoir inputs all together so that as one gas reservoir finishes, it'll move onto the next? Or do you prefer to hookup one reservoir's output to the next one's input, and so forth, so that all the natural gas is moving constantly to the last reservoir in line?

I normally just daisy chain resevoirs, as it makes everything easier to set up and monitor. You always know how many resevoirs you have without having to work out the exact mechanics of how the manifold fills/drains. A gas pipe transmits 1 kg/s, which is two gas pumps (500 g/s), which is far more than the 140 g/s a natural gas geyser can produce at maximum output and 90 g/s a natural gas generator consumes.

Nihonniboku posted:

Edit: I'm pretty happy, I managed to grow a room full of thimble reeds, so now I'm rolling deep in fiber. Do you guys make clothing for the dupes a lot?

I make a bunch of snazzy suits (+30 decor for a +35 swing) for my dupes at around the same time I start decor bombing to turn the living space from Dickensian to decadent (reed fiber is also used for canvases, another important decor item). It's not huge overall but it's better than the other clothing options. The vest/sweater aren't +fire/cold resistance but changes to how fast a dupe exchanges temperature with their environment, so the vest is almost always bad (a tank top is a terrible idea in scalding steam or freezing water). The reason people normally want reed fiber early is for exosuits, which allows dupes to comfortably work in pretty much every environment other than swimming in liquid magma. It's also used in the late game for the highest tier of insulation.

Also, if you aren't already aware, dupes can use germ-infected water to wash, flush, and shower, so it's possible to make a self-contained "bathroom loop" entirely unconnected to the rest of the water supply (liquid preferentially flows into bridges, so dupes peeing water into the system is resolved by a split between a bridge back into the system and a pipe to somewhere else.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dareon posted:

I've hit the surface, but glass furnaces for solar need 1.2kw of power so I can't get that running unless I have three dupes running on wheels the whole time.

Not true! This is another thing transformers are good for.
Just make a mini circuit with a transformer, smart battery, and the glass forge only. Connect the battery to the forge with a NOT gate, and wire it up with conductive wire. Ideally the power out from your power producers is controlled by transformers to limit it to 1kW, then all that will happen is any excess power in the main circuit will drain into this circuit and charge the smart battery. When the smart battery is full, it enables the forge which can run using the stored power, and then switch off when the battery runs dry. Might take a few runs for each piece of glass, but this effectively averages out the power draw.

E:

The input wire here is a 2kW cos I have lead to rewire my distribution lines, but it can be a basic wire - just make sure this is fed power through a single transformer to limit the input to 1kW and you're golden.

E: Also, unless you are in Spaced Out, solar is not viable without lots of steel to make bunker doors. The meteors will smash your panels up in no time.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 26, 2021

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can also have dupes run on wheels until you get your first solar panel, then use that to power the glass forge. After the fourth solar panel, it can run all day. Until then, just hook a battery and/or a wheel to it.

I would only use the power station when you get access to huge amounts of lead, as it eats 25 kg of refined metal every 3 days per generator.
Been a while since I used the power station and I can't remember if you can specify the type of metal it uses. If not, put a storage container with 1 ton of lead and a sweeper next to the station.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dunno-Lars posted:

I would only use the power station when you get access to huge amounts of lead, as it eats 25 kg of refined metal every 3 days per generator.

When you get access to huge amounts of lead you also get access to geothermal, so you can produce tons of power without losing Super Sustainable.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thimble-reed, I very rarely farm any apart from a single tile by the toilets to soak up the excess. Along with dreckos and wild plants, that's usually plenty until late game. I never bother with clothes either, I spend it all on atmosuits and small patches of carpet in well travelled areas. I usually end up with snazzy suits or warm jumpers for all just from the care packages.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Microcline posted:

Also, if you aren't already aware, dupes can use germ-infected water to wash, flush, and shower, so it's possible to make a self-contained "bathroom loop" entirely unconnected to the rest of the water supply (liquid preferentially flows into bridges, so dupes peeing water into the system is resolved by a split between a bridge back into the system and a pipe to somewhere else.

Oh yeah, I have my bathroom looped up. The excess is what's filling my water reservoirs in a chlorine filled room to kill the germs.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

OzyMandrill posted:

Thimble-reed, I very rarely farm any apart from a single tile by the toilets to soak up the excess. Along with dreckos and wild plants, that's usually plenty until late game. I never bother with clothes either, I spend it all on atmosuits and small patches of carpet in well travelled areas. I usually end up with snazzy suits or warm jumpers for all just from the care packages.

I love having tons of reed fiber so that those idiots can make all kinds of adorable paintings. Also snazzy suits for everyone and carpet under every bed!

It's not necessary at all but I like spoiling the little goofballs. There's usually tons of polluted water just laying around just looking for a use.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Reminder again that farm stations work for domestic reed plants. Huge water savings.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

insta posted:

Reminder again that farm stations work for domestic reed plants. Huge water savings.
wild reeds or dreckos depending on which asteroid type you're on covers reeds

there's not much of a point to go domestic, especially with how scarce water from geysers is in some of the dlc starting asteroids

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I still remember the early days of ONI when the best way to be sustainable was to overflow toilets repeatedly to spawn a billion morbs then let your dupes piss, poo poo and vomit on every surface in a giant, multilayer base from stress to form dozens of huge flat sheets of polluted water with morbs in, the giant surface area at the time promoting polluted o2 offgassing and thus making your base self sustainable from the repeated piss and poo poo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

I still remember the early days of ONI when the best way to be sustainable was to overflow toilets repeatedly to spawn a billion morbs then let your dupes piss, poo poo and vomit on every surface in a giant, multilayer base from stress to form dozens of huge flat sheets of polluted water with morbs in, the giant surface area at the time promoting polluted o2 offgassing and thus making your base self sustainable from the repeated piss and poo poo.

haha what do you think it smelled like

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

haha what do you think it smelled like

Haha just 4 laughs ha ha but really what would it smell like

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ah yes, the classic "fecal lasagna" strategy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dareon posted:

Ah yes, the classic "fecal lasagna" strategy.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Oxygen Not Included - The Classic Fecal Lasagne Strat

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
A morb farm feeding pufts for slime can also produce mushrooms forever but you need a SHITLOAD of morbs.

I was up to 86 here and I think it was still mostly behind for the full 18 pufts.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 27, 2021

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mazz posted:

A morb farm feeding pufts for slime can also produce mushrooms forever but you need a SHITLOAD of morbs.

I was up to 86 here and I think it was still mostly behind for the full 18 pufts.

I really like those super boxy base designs. Never tried them but planned a glass base like that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

temple posted:

I really like those super boxy base designs. Never tried them but planned a glass base like that.

I always found that narrow and vertically oriented "towers" gave you a ton of fine control over gas and liquid since you could use gravity to do a bunch of the work. Super helpful for things like power plant setups to me, as visible there. Boxes also give you a lot of control on room sizing and puzzling things together to better utilize space (read: OCD the gently caress out of it :v:).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 27, 2021

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mazz posted:

I always found that narrow and vertically oriented "towers" gave you a ton of fine control over gas and liquid since you could use gravity to do a bunch of the work. Super helpful for things like power plant setups to me, as visible there. Boxes also give you a lot of control on room sizing and puzzling things together to better utilize space (read: OCD the gently caress out of it :v:).

I've learned that slowly. My bases have become more boxy over time. Its kind of scary if you end up needing more space.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

OzyMandrill posted:

Toilet reeds are the best. Also, the toilet crab that eats the pdirt from the sieve. I usually stick in a critter feeder and let it eat any rotten food too. I don't bother with composting.

Speaking of water, they recently changed the worldgen in Spaced Out, giving you WAY more water & pwater through vents. Farming water-hungry plants is actually viable now. Not sure if the change was applied to the base game or not.

For example my last base used the new "large" asteroid start, and I was getting average 14.78 kg/second of water from my main asteroid, and 10.32 kg/second from the 2nd asteroid you teleport to. That's after converting salt water & brine to water. It's a really nice change. It opens up more ways to play, especially in the late game where it felt like you were always constrained by water.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

temple posted:

Even from the start I have had a hard time not just building everything as four-high corridors. Back when you could use abyssalite as an insulation material I just gradually turned the whole map into a grid of four-high corridors.

I'm actually trying to teach myself that rooms of other heights are okay, but they only satisfy me if they line up with the existing four-high structure.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
16x4 boxes are the optimal room size for most situations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Han Nehi posted:

Toilet reeds are the best. Also, the toilet crab that eats the pdirt from the sieve. I usually stick in a critter feeder and let it eat any rotten food too. I don't bother with composting.

Speaking of water, they recently changed the worldgen in Spaced Out, giving you WAY more water & pwater through vents. Farming water-hungry plants is actually viable now. Not sure if the change was applied to the base game or not.

For example my last base used the new "large" asteroid start, and I was getting average 14.78 kg/second of water from my main asteroid, and 10.32 kg/second from the 2nd asteroid you teleport to. That's after converting salt water & brine to water. It's a really nice change. It opens up more ways to play, especially in the late game where it felt like you were always constrained by water.

I never ran out of water even with 48 dupes, I don't know how it could even happen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BattleMaster posted:

Even from the start I have had a hard time not just building everything as four-high corridors. Back when you could use abyssalite as an insulation material I just gradually turned the whole map into a grid of four-high corridors.

I'm actually trying to teach myself that rooms of other heights are okay, but they only satisfy me if they line up with the existing four-high structure.

I'm really happy with the great hall (The vestibule and corresponding divot were flukes the first time I made one like that, then I discovered the divot's the perfect size to fit a transport tube stop in my main shaft), pretty okay with the drecko ranches (Two of them make a three-floor block), and my kitchen and pantry are pretty much always just vestigial appendages off the great hall, so having it turn into a nature preserve was a happy accident helped along by a care package of pip eggs. I do not like the hospital, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like that your hospital is right at the entrance to the hab module to receive people who got injured outside.

What is there an air pump in the co2 under the exosuits? Is it a leftover from a previous initiative?

I'm starting to dislike that dupes have assigned tables. It would be a lot easier if I could just make little pubs for them in low-base or high-base so they don't all have to drop back into the hab in usually the middle and go back out. It's probably a better idea when they have suits that need filling anyway, but still.