Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Catpetter1981 posted:

Looks like Pelosi has indeed asked Republican Rep Adam Kinzinger to join the Jan 6th investigation. So that's now the only two Republicans in the House (as far as I'm aware) who are anti-Trumpists on the committee. I think its a pretty solid play.

So it plays well with the general public and is a pretty smart move by Pelosi then.

The Republicans were going to do that anyways so why even worry about what they might do?

Yeah, this. It's pretty hard to claim that the committee is a partisan witch-hunt when there are two Republicans sitting there doing the work. The crocodile tears over them being the wrong Republicans :qq: isn't going to resonate with those Americans who give a poo poo about bipartisanism in the first place, I suspect.

:allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

bedpan posted:

we literally did this in Burma

do you have an article about this

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
If you think about it, it really IS the leftists whitewashing Bush by bringing up things that Obama has done.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Catpetter1981 posted:

Americans who give a poo poo about bipartisanism

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

do you have an article about this

https://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEAB-1155

quote:

Previously, on ‘The West Wing:’ Democracy 101 for Myanmar

Sept. 20, 2012 8:51 am ET

By Shibani Mahtani and Allison Morrow

President Josiah Bartlet and his plucky senior staff may have gone off the air six years ago, but “The West Wing” television series has retained die-hard fans—including, it seems, the newly democratizing leadership of Myanmar.

Speaking in Washington on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recalled a conversation with Myanmar’s lower house speaker – Thura Shwe Mann, once a leading figure in the Burmese military government – during her visit to the Southeast Asian country last year. According to an Associated Press report, Mrs. Clinton said that former generals were learning “how to be a democratic congress, a parliament” by watching old episodes of Aaron Sorkin's “The West Wing.”

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

liberal democracy committed suicide

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Catpetter1981 posted:

Yeah, honestly it's the far left fringe Jimmy Dore types who are more likely to try and rehabilitate Trump with the assertions that Biden is exactly as bad or even worse.

Lol.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1419409348128874496

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-57928647

I want to briefly highlight this low-competence effort at antivaxx propaganda, almost certainly coming out of Russia and targeting a variety of populations. The full article is worth a read, but I want to highlight this part:

The practice of spreading the same false claim across multiple sources, then re-aligning them in secondary mediators, is a common and effective method of introducing falsehoods into discourse and creating the illusion of consensus around them. I'll write about this in further detail (with charts!) in a future effortpost.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Who wants to get their account nuked by responding to that post with 'Zenz'

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Russia made minorities avoid the vaccine!!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Nix Panicus posted:

I had a republican friend before the protests last year. He had always been a friendly person with some hard knocks views on life that I quietly tolerated because they'd grown up in a lovely neighborhood and had seen some things. Once the protests started they could not shut the gently caress up about law and order and how the cops needed the power to maintain control and all the dead black people deserved what happened to them. So now I don't have a republican friend anymore. gently caress that guy.

I still keep in touch with my old boss who hired me, but retired in 2013. He was always a pretty conservative guy but far more from the mitt Romney / Paul Ryan wing of the GOP then your average chud, but otherwise he was someone I respected and learned a lot from.

Anyway I emailed him a couple months ago to see how he was doing and he’s finally gone full chud cause he launched into an unprompted rant about critical race theory and how “bad things happened at the lab in Wuhan” and that left me with a real :smith:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nix Panicus posted:

Lmao that the one thing Biden has managed to accomplish is a tax credit advance that will be over by year end, only to resurface in memory in April during tax season when millions of parents discover their child tax credit is already used up and they may actually owe taxes or see their usually reliable yearly windfall, around which they can plan large purchases, dried up. That sting is going to be way more salient than the checks six months earlier.

I think the one-year expansion of the tax credit more than doubled it, and they're only giving out half in advance. so while people won't be getting the full $3000 per kid they're going to still be getting $1500 per kid, fully refundable in march, which is around what they'd have gotten before hand.

now go ahead and mock the poo poo out of "we minorly reduced our already hilariously under-reported child poverty statistic for a few months, one time, and they're all going to fall back into crushing poverty and dispair while being evicted into a pandemic" but for shitheaded suburbanites they're not going to get a nasty shock on their taxes.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This sounds like it would lead to people giving impassioned Sorkin monologues in front of a firing squad
really hope we can bring this particular aspect of the empire home

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Catpetter1981 posted:

Looks like Pelosi has indeed asked Republican Rep Adam Kinzinger to join the Jan 6th investigation. So that's now the only two Republicans in the House (as far as I'm aware) who are anti-Trumpists on the committee. I think its a pretty solid play.

So it plays well with the general public and is a pretty smart move by Pelosi then.

The Republicans were going to do that anyways so why even worry about what they might do?

Yeah, this. It's pretty hard to claim that the committee is a partisan witch-hunt when there are two Republicans sitting there doing the work. The crocodile tears over them being the wrong Republicans :qq: isn't going to resonate with those Americans who give a poo poo about bipartisanism in the first place, I suspect.

What’s the plan for democrats for this investigation? Is there anyone who needs convincing that trump egged on his frothing base to do this? Is it going to arrest in arrests or consequences for anyone? What is the end game for democrats here other then putting on a dog and pony show?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Nastier Nate posted:

What’s the plan for democrats for this investigation? Is there anyone who needs convincing that trump egged on his frothing base to do this? Is it going to arrest in arrests or consequences for anyone? What is the end game for democrats here other then putting on a dog and pony show?

The dog and pony show IS the endgame.
They want to put on a show so that they can assure the dipshits stupid enough to believe them that the system works and Work Is Getting Done.
And :siren:ANY DAY NOW:siren: this will all lead to Donald THE GAT DANGED CHEETO Trump being put on trial for all of the crimes and going to jail, which is absolutely a thing that will ever happen :jerkbag:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, like when people were dying in the streets and Pelosi decided to hold the government up for a month because she wanted to wait to put the articles of one of the five pointless impeachments forward.

Or when they put forward huge bills they knew had no chance of being passed so they could gloat about republicans not passing them.

I honestly can't understand the lesser of two evils people that argue democrats are the only moral choice we can possibly have that then turn around and argue that we don't need to actually pass bills because that would mean working with republicans for inadequate legislation.

Getting zero legislation is fine. This is better than something that helps some people because we can't compromise. However we must compromise with our votes because otherwise we don't get anything.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

This finally gave me the courage to pull the trigger

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i didnt know ratboy posted on fetlife

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what the gently caress is that supposed to be

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rubellavator posted:

You may not like it, but this is what peak style looks like.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

Ella Emhoff's latest work

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1419463090916270080?s=19

What would it mean to you?

I mean, it's not going to happen, but like can you imagine? Woah.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

"It's a serious question, it means nothing to me so I wanna know"

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhilippAchtel posted:

gently caress off Bernie Panders you giant loving fraud gently caress oooooooooffffff

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://twitter.com/_My2_Cents_/status/1419463418885586947

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bernie Panders.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
40,000 people are going to die this year due to private healthcare and the best the party in charge of the government can do is talk about a reduction in the price of prescriptions which will either be in the form of direct cash payments from the government to the insurance industry to cover the amounts they want to charge or a small reduction in the 10,000,000% markups they currently have on prescription drugs.

The system works! ...for everyone that will survive the Democrat Party's need for corporate money in one of the most disgusting displays of open corruption in modern history as their stupid loving supporters legislate and explain away this mass murder as a good thing because being on the right team is more important than the lives of all the people being killed by that team.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

honestly surprising it took eight years of generals watching the west wing before they did a coup

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1419610446395547652

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Wow what a question, never thought of it, thanks for raising the level of discourse on this subject.

lol at Hillary bringing this up as some kind of semi-positive and not an unbelievably horrific sign of societal collapse.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, honestly it's the far left fringe Jimmy Dore types who are more likely to try and rehabilitate Trump with the assertions that Biden is exactly as bad or even worse.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

noted far-left extremist james dore

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

picture of a screaming Jimmy Dore tossing a molotov into a Starbucks

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yinlock posted:

noted far-left extremist james dore

It's insanely cool how he became a boogeyman for centrists

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Srice posted:

It's insanely cool how he became a boogeyman for centrists

and it wasn't even for the bad things he's done, it was for sharing someone else's idea to easily apply pressure for healthcare

that was during a discussion about how the us overton window is now so far left, perhaps too far left

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Yinlock posted:

and it wasn't even for the bad things he's done, it was for sharing someone else's idea to easily apply pressure for healthcare

that was during a discussion about how the us overton window is now so far left, perhaps too far left

loving deranged lunatics

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think they mean we are "Angryposting" like jimmy dore because we are shaming them so hard for knowingly enabling and justifying children being thrown in cages and tens of thousands of people dying due to private healthcare.

If the Democrat response to being voted in on the wake of Black Lives Matter was to take pandemic funds and give those to the cops to tide them over until new historic police budgets go through causes you to sit back in your chair and think of ways to justify that in any way, at all, then guess what, people are going to call you an rear end in a top hat.

The harder you defend the indefensible because your team affiliation is more important to you than those issues people are going to call you out that much harder! Angrily Even! You are justifying all of this! You are helping these things happen!
/

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Yeah lol. I actually cannot comprehend the minds of people that are somehow still angry at the idea of force the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

Yeah lol. I actually cannot comprehend the minds of people that are somehow still angry at the idea of force the vote.

It was health insurance executives and the politicians they own.

Weirdly enough propaganda works on really stupid people.

Weirdly enough liberal democrats seem to be largely loving stupid.