Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Now, admittedly my knowledge with Daoism starts and ends with the Dao De Ching, with a vague recollection that some kook made noises about butterflies a few centuries later, but wouldn't living past your natural span of time be considered against the spirit of the whole thing?

Cultivation is very much going against the natural order. You're not cultivating in order to reach greater philosophical enlightenment, you're using philosophical enlightenment to jailbreak yourself and attain incredible power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

WarpedNaba posted:

Now, admittedly my knowledge with Daoism starts and ends with the Dao De Ching, with a vague recollection that some kook made noises about butterflies a few centuries later, but wouldn't living past your natural span of time be considered against the spirit of the whole thing?

Bit like Buddhism with its 'We're a peaceful religion (Ignore the war god) that shuns materialism (Ignore the 50-foot golden statue)" issue.

Any book on Daoist religion I’ve read has started by emphasizing the difference between the pre-Qin philosophical daoism of Lao Zi and Zhuang Zi and the religion emphasizing a search for eternal life that is generally considered to have been codified as an organized religion in the Eastern Han. Of course, pretty much every philosophical and religious tradition in China uses the word “Dao,” so figuring out what exactly is “Daoism” is extremely complicated to this day.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-stocks-tumble-panic-selling-060406343.html

quote:

(Bloomberg) -- A selloff in Chinese private education companies sent shockwaves through the equity market Monday, as investors scrambled to price in the growing risks from an intensifying crackdown by Beijing on some of the nation’s industries.

Stocks slumped on the mainland and in Hong Kong, with the benchmark CSI 300 Index dropping 3.2% and the Hang Seng Index tumbling 4.1%, the most since May last year. Steep losses in education stocks in the wake of a sweeping overhaul spilled over into other areas, with technology, health-care and property-related stocks falling.

“I see panic selling in the market now as investors are pricing in a possibility that Beijing will tighten regulation on all sectors that have seen robust growth in recent years,” said Castor Pang, head of research at Core Pacific Yamaichi. “I don’t think investors can do any bottom fishing at this point. We don’t know where the bottom is.”

New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc. plunged by a record 47% in Hong Kong. It warned in a filing that the regulations will have a material adverse impact on the company. Koolearn Technology Holding Ltd. tumbled 33%, the biggest decliner on the Hang Seng Tech Index, which dropped 6.6%. China Maple Leaf Educational Systems Ltd. fell 10%.

The stocks also dropped in U.S. premarket trading, with Tal Education and New Oriental both falling around 30%, adding to the losses suffered last week.

Chinese regulators on Saturday published reforms that will fundamentally alter the business model of private firms teaching the school curriculum, as Beijing aims to overhaul a sector it says has been “hijacked by capital.” The new regulations ban firms that teach school curriculums from making profits, raising capital or going public. Friday was already a bloodbath for the sector in both Hong Kong and the U.S., after a leaked document circulated on social media.

The “worst-case became a reality,” wrote JPMorgan Chase & Co. analysts including DS Kim in a note, saying it was uncertain whether the companies could remain listed. “It’s unclear what level of restructuring the companies should undergo with a new regime and, in our view, this makes these stocks virtually un-investable.”

Worst Case Emerging for China Tutors After Overhaul: Street Wrap

The latest reforms follow an unprecedented pace of regulatory tightening from Beijing, amid crackdowns on industries from tech to real estate. The government’s moves to rein in the nation’s powerful tech firms such as Jack Ma’s Ant Group Co. and Didi Global Inc. have sent global investors fleeing. A campaign to cut leverage in the property industry has also weighed on builder shares, with a Hong Kong gauge of related firms falling to its lowest since February.

Meituan, Property

Elsewhere, Meituan tanked 14% after China issued regulations to tighten oversight of its massive food delivery sector. Property management stocks also tumbled after Beijing vowed closer scrutiny of the sector while health-care shares plummeted amid investor concerns about it being the target. The Hang Seng China Enterprises Index, which include Hong Kong-listed mainland stocks, entered a bear market after falling 24% from a February peak.

“Overall sentiment is really bad now,” said Jackson Wong, asset management director at Amber Hill Capital Ltd. “Regulations on the education sector were unexpected and are really negative for the general market.”

Mainland investors have been net selling Hong Kong shares via exchange links in the city for a sixth straight day, the longest streak since May 2019, according to Bloomberg-compiled data.

In the latest move, companies that teach school subjects can no longer accept overseas investment, which could include capital from the offshore registered entities of Chinese firms, according to a notice released by the State Council. Those now in violation of that rule must take steps to rectify the situation, the country’s most powerful administrative authority said, without elaborating.

“Curriculum tutoring firms should remodel their businesses or even switch to a different industry as soon as possible,” said Jiang Ya, an analyst with Citic Securities Ltd. “These measures are just the beginning and there is potentially an abundance of follow-up policies and continued tight regulation.”

(Updates throughout)

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Only thing that is worse for me is pig ear. That is vile.

How did this get through without further comment? Pig's ear is so so good, it's a super standard side dish in Taiwan at least.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

WarpedNaba posted:

“A Thousand Li” admits this early on - describing cultivation as a rebellion against the king and the heavens - and the explanation is that the king wants healthier farm workers and soldiers or they would ban cultivation.”

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ili posted:

How did this get through without further comment? Pig's ear is so so good, it's a super standard side dish in Taiwan at least.

Yeah pig ears own

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Pig's ear salad loving owns bones. (There's no bones for people terrified of bone shards)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Important thing to keep in mind is that this is written by and for people who want to make money off of these stocks and that’s it.

We talk in this thread about how soul crushing education has become in places like China, Korea, and Japan to various extents, and these private tutor companies and their marketing is part of that.

We’ll see how it pans out but making the education industry not be allowed to be exploitative assholes marketing how you kid will forever be a failure unless you buy this 10k USD course pack that will see then at cram school every day until 10pm their entire school year etc., is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s also something that basically only a relative authoritarian state like China could do this quickly and efficiently.

There’s plenty of things that could go bad with this, but it’s useful to keep in mind that as a base concept a government telling a fuckload of corporate investors; shove it, we’re going to follow science instead of profit in order to make a country full of happy and smart kids a la Finland or some poo poo… may be a good thing.

Theres certain sectors like education, medicine, etc. where at a certain point blind pursuit of profit is actively detrimental to the purported objective of said sector and China may be the only country of its size who actually does something about it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

LimburgLimbo posted:

Important thing to keep in mind is that this is written by and for people who want to make money off of these stocks and that’s it.

We talk in this thread about how soul crushing education has become in places like China, Korea, and Japan to various extents, and these private tutor companies and their marketing is part of that.

We’ll see how it pans out but making the education industry not be allowed to be exploitative assholes marketing how you kid will forever be a failure unless you buy this 10k USD course pack that will see then at cram school every day until 10pm their entire school year etc., is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s also something that basically only a relative authoritarian state like China could do this quickly and efficiently.

There’s plenty of things that could go bad with this, but it’s useful to keep in mind that as a base concept a government telling a fuckload of corporate investors; shove it, we’re going to follow science instead of profit in order to make a country full of happy and smart kids a la Finland or some poo poo… may be a good thing.

Theres certain sectors like education, medicine, etc. where at a certain point blind pursuit of profit is actively detrimental to the purported objective of said sector and China may be the only country of its size who actually does something about it.

Indeed, the only issue with this is potentially the unaccountable way in which it’s carried out. Otherwise the regulations are pretty clearly for the best.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

While I'm sure there are gaokao cram schools that are caught up in this crackdown, one of the schools mentioned in the article, China Maple Leaf Educational Systems, is the opposite. They teach British Columbia's educational curriculum, so the students get BC high school diplomas, which they can use to get into western universities.

My uncle is a principal at one of their schools, and he has so many stories about dealing with irate parents upset that their child isn't being forced to study 20 hours a day. His line is basically "We teach to Canadian standards. The students are in class from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. If you don't like it, there's the door. Have fun with the gaokao."

I'm sure you can see why China would want to crack down on institutions like this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

hmm yes but did you ever know your uncle is just Canadian CIA, also known as... CIA?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

have you heard of the canadian ccp, the cccp? :ussr:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

McGavin posted:

While I'm sure there are gaokao cram schools that are caught up in this crackdown, one of the schools mentioned in the article, China Maple Leaf Educational Systems, is the opposite. They teach British Columbia's educational curriculum, so the students get BC high school diplomas, which they can use to get into western universities.

My uncle is a principal at one of their schools, and he has so many stories about dealing with irate parents upset that their child isn't being forced to study 20 hours a day. His line is basically "We teach to Canadian standards. The students are in class from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. If you don't like it, there's the door. Have fun with the gaokao."

I'm sure you can see why China would want to crack down on institutions like this.

International schools like that are not covered under the new regulations at present, as far as I understand, since they’re one of the main pathways for Chinese students to study in overseas universities, something China still really needs in spite of nationalistic messaging. Who knows what will happen in the future, though, and I wouldn’t be surprised if international schools also start getting heavily regulated or even shut down. There are, of course, also plenty of cram schools particularly targeted at getting students into elite international curriculum private schools, and those centers of course are going to be hit by this.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Indeed, the only issue with this is potentially the unaccountable way in which it’s carried out. Otherwise the regulations are pretty clearly for the best.

Yeah.
A lot of companies are doomed, and clearly the rich will still have their loopholes, but cautiously optimistic about what it means for education overall in China.

This may be thoroughly mocked in hindsight, but it even looks like most of the actual teachers should be OK in the end.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Atopian posted:

This may be thoroughly mocked in hindsight, but it even looks like most of the actual teachers should be OK in the end.

Even though I’m mostly positive about this, there are some issues. There are an awful lot of professional cram school teachers who are probably going to switch to private instruction or gray market online teaching. One motivation I’ve heard for the policy is that a lot of talented teachers work in cram schools because the pay is better, so this will force them back into the public school system, but I don’t know if there will be a carrot to go with the stick. Ideally this would be paired with a large increase in education spending, since a big part of the problem is extremely tough competition (I’ve heard and read that only about 50% of kids in Shanghai get into high school, which is not part of compulsory education in China.) I kind of doubt that will happen, but I have no idea.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think you're talking about academic vs vocational high schools, not high school vs no high school, if you're talkin shanghai

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I was thinking that they'd shift back to the traditional "small classes in their home" thing that apparently prevailed before the rise of the centres.

Issues from quality / student safeguarding perspective, but not from the perspective of the teachers themselves.
Of course, if the government decides to crack down on that... well, then they've made themselves a huge problem. The recently announced significant raises for public school teachers to compensate for the utter ballache all of this will be for them, will surely limit the ability to just make more positions for anyone displaced.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Jeoh posted:

have you heard of the canadian ccp, the cccp? :ussr:

What, Vancouver?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

McGavin posted:

It's fun working for a company out here with a foreign management style. At least they have backbone and don't believe in" Laowai Magic ".

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

McGavin posted:

The article only mentioned their stock went down, which doesn't mean anything except investors see regulations and get scared. They also only went down like 10% according to article tho compared to the 30%+ from big education firms like xindongfang and tal who's bread and butter are those schools.

As far as I know international schools are safe. From what I've read this is targeting mostly the cram schools and the actual issues for them are the limits are like, kids can only go for X hours a week/etc, which obviously kills a lot of business.

Another thing is XDF/TAL/etc pivoted hard to 1:1 or small online classes since the pandemic. Those seem to escape a lot of the regulation via loopholes.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/mattkorda/status/1419810993111277569?s=19

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Speaking of things authoritarians love.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

One motivation I’ve heard for the policy is that a lot of talented teachers work in cram schools because the pay is better, so this will force them back into the public school system, but I don’t know if there will be a carrot to go with the stick

Yeah one of the (many) problems with authoritarians is that they always go with forcing people to do what they want and rarely bother with the whole compensation thing.

"This is something we want to happen"

"Oh, so how are we going to get people to do this when it means many will lose their jobs, lose money, have to move home and cause huge disruptions everywhere?"

"Easy. We won't give them a choice."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 27, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^ Speaking of things authoritarians love.

Yeah one of the (many) problems with authoritarians is that they always go with forcing people to do what they want and rarely bother with the whole compensation thing.

"This is something we want to happen"

"Oh, so how are we going to get people to do this when it means many will lose their jobs, lose money, have to move home and cause huge disruptions everywhere?"

"Easy. We won't give them a choice."

That's actually not often how China works, re: compensation.
The government wants to avoid angry mobs on the streets. By far the most common way this is achieved is with compensation for harm / inconvenience / etc.

Except.
Sometimes, for reasons that aren't entirely clear but which have been observed to include "underestimating response", "embezzlement of compensation funds", "we felt challenged", and "because gently caress you that's why", things get all iron-fist and never go back.

This post is not to excuse any of the iron fist stuff, but to explain that it's relatively rare. When dealing with large numbers of relatively mainstream Han, the Chinese government is actually quite accommodating... most of the time. And while never actually changing the central idea, just tweaking the details / compensation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

China more like Chi Naw

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

more like Greater Taiwan

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Taiwan more like Tai Won, cause it's the best

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That’s the ones they shot that are visible now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
With Tokyo Olympics under way, China is on guard for potential insults

quote:

After Chinese weightlifter Hou Zhihui won gold in the women’s 49-kilogram category on Saturday, the official account of China’s embassy in Sri Lanka attacked Reuters on Twitter for what it said was a “shameless” photo choice in the news agency’s coverage.

By illustrating the story of Ms. Hou’s victory with a picture of her grimacing, mid-lift, Reuters had shown “how ugly they are,” the embassy said, accusing the news agency of putting “politics and ideologies above sports.”

As commenters pointed out on social media, many other outlets, including Chinese state media, used similar photos of Ms. Hou in their coverage, and other weightlifters were also shown in such a way.

The official account of China’s embassy in Sri Lanka attacked Reuters on Twitter for a 'shameless' choice of a photo of Chinese weightlifter Hou Zhihui, who won gold in the women’s 49-kilogram category, in the news agency’s coverage.

What can be all the stranger is that such delicacy actually appears to increase during times of national glory. According to one count, in the three months before the Beijing Olympics in 2008, the state-run China Daily used the phrase “hurting the feelings of the Chinese people” at least 88 times, as if the country was in a state of almost constant agonized bewilderment, rather than gearing up for what would turn out to be a colossal soft-power victory.

“The public’s supposed outrage is a useful tool: It enables the party to put aside its principle of non-interference in the internal affairs of other countries,” according to The Economist. This subtle enforcement of Chinese political correctness has only increased as Beijing’s power has grown, with numerous companies and individuals coming under fire for insulting China, forced to apologize or risk losing access to one of the world’s largest consumer markets.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/article-with-olympics-under-way-china-is-on-guard-for-potential-insults/

No one has ever made a good face weight-lifting, yet somehow even more face was lost.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 28, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just saw an article about that and the projection is amazing. That's what you're supposed to look like when lifting a poo poo-ton of weight like a beast and it's awesome, but the CCP just called their athletes ugly and are saying it's actually the perfidious westerners who are hurting the feelings of the Chinese people.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Something that strikes me, especially about this weightlifter thing, is that China/CCP aren't using the "hurt the feelings of the Chinese People" thing to defend themselves from attacks. They aren't even using it to defend themselves from imagined slights. They aren't using it to defend at all.

They are using it to attack. It is a weaponized form of "You hate us, look at X thing you did", (where X is literally anything), "Therefore it is YOU who are the bad and wrong and mean and low, and US who are shining and good."

It's particularly egregious in this case because they are taking an article that says explicitly "YAY to the Chinese athlete for winning gold! Congratulations." And instead of going "China wins Gold! China is the best! Look at how awesome and wonderful we are! YAY!" which would be a perfectly normal response, even from an authoritarian propaganda machine like the CCP. But instead they go "WAH WAH you are being mean to us! Look at how mean you always are to us! We are the pathetic underdog having sand kicked in its face."

gently caress you and your victim mentality.

Also, this response completely margianalizes the woman herself who actually won Gold. This woman lifted a heavy thing, and deserves praise and recognition for it. Instead she gets to be used as a pawn in a hissyfit thrown by her own government which is drawing attention to a single unflattering photo of her winning an important event, instead of acknowledging that she won.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
On a macro level, I completely understand why China's CCP acts like this. They were carved up, humiliated, a great civilization brought to its knees by western powers and they vow that it'll never happen again.

But dear God they are the whiniest great power in world history. I honestly cannot think of any empire or great global power in history that whines to the level that the CCP does. To me, that says they're incredibly insecure about either their power base or their place in the world, I don't know which. But it doesn't come off as a strong, confident country imo

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Imperial Germany at times comes close, they were also laughably bad at diplomacy.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

low key sex master posted:

To me, that says they're incredibly insecure about either their power base or their place in the world, I don't know which. But it doesn't come off as a strong, confident country imo

Maybe about their power base in some sense, but I'd say really it's neither. The party, at least, I am pretty sure knows it's all kind of stupid. But it's useful, because it helps with the narrative that China is under attack from all directions. If people believe their country is under attack from something outside of it, that shields the government from almost any criticism. And they're not wrong about it either, it completely works.

In Zhengzhou right now, maybe half the people (I'm pulling that out of my rear end, I haven't polled the city, but its a lot) are getting real ballsy with criticizing the government. For not responding well to the flooding, for not prioritizing recovery for small markets and people's homes but instead getting water/power/etc restored to the malls and factories and stuff. And mostly because they did not shut down the subway fast enough (which, yeah they didnt. Leading up the shut down everyone was like "drat the subways still running? wild" and then we all know what happened) and for trying to block off and cover the makeshift memorials that have popped up.

But the other half has all collectively come to the conclusion that we have to support everything about how the government responded to this, because the other countries want to see Zhengzhou fail, but you see, Zhengzhou is strong. If you admit they hosed up, the enemy wins. That's not my interpretation of why they're defending the government, that's just what they say, explicitly.

That one BBC reported completely hosed up because, for one, he actually did gently caress up his report and it was bullshit, I dunno if his Chinese is poo poo or what but it was nonsense. But also because he totally proved what half of the city believes and gave the local government everything they need to misdirect their failures here onto a foreign enemy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shumagorath posted:

With Tokyo Olympics under way, China is on guard for potential insults

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/article-with-olympics-under-way-china-is-on-guard-for-potential-insults/

No one has ever made a good face weight-lifting, yet somehow even more face was lost.

Beyonce-gate strikes again

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I'd comment further, but it'd just be variation on this theme.
'Yep', basically.

The Chinese government is a lot more concerned with domestic perception than foreign perception, even in venues/formats/messages nominally sent to a foreign audience.
And sure, lots of countries are like this, but not usually to the same extent.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

pictures aside the cnn headline cited in that article did loving suck lol

the hurt feelings thing tho reminds me of this from the other day, where a bunch of middle aged people in zhengzhou decided some BBC reporter was their enemy and accosted every white dude with a camera assuming it was him.

https://twitter.com/mare_porter/status/1419171665121062913

here is one such tale.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 28, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO they act like that because it is effective. The West is on an intense, for want of a less dismissive phrase, political correctness drive.

By framing all criticism as hurt feelings, they can piggyback this to undermine Western critics as biased and racist.

By inventing new hurt feelings out of thin air, they can make sure that even when their own people are plugged into Western culture they still feel attacked and othered.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Strategic Tea posted:

IMO they act like that because it is effective. The West is on an intense, for want of a less dismissive phrase, political correctness drive.

By framing all criticism as hurt feelings, they can piggyback this to undermine Western critics as biased and racist.

By inventing new hurt feelings out of thin air, they can make sure that even when their own people are plugged into Western culture they still feel attacked and othered.

The phrase, and tactic, is much, much older than that. And they use it a lot against other countries besides the US, countries that don't really have much of sense of political correctness. It's like one of the few pre-cultural revolution things they completely stuck with.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

drat, few pages ago i was gonna post some dumb short about a nuke silo under some pig farm out in tianjin, but due to chabuduo the nukes were already sold to like iran, didn't post cause was too much effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Wikipedia and all but I think this provides good context:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurting_the_feelings_of_the_Chinese_people

I don't really see why this phrase is given that much more weight than something like "offends the sensibilities of" etc.

In English the way it's translated it comes off as childish but considering it's a bureaucratic formal phrase of sorts but I think that people probably like to read into the English nuance of that too much.

BrainDance posted:

The phrase, and tactic, is much, much older than that. And they use it a lot against other countries besides the US, countries that don't really have much of sense of political correctness. It's like one of the few pre-cultural revolution things they completely stuck with.

If the Peoples' Daily use as shown in that wiki is indication seems it's pretty solidly post cultural rev? Dunno if it occurred commonly otherwise though. Seems like if it was that common it would at least have shown sometimes?