Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I thought the correct way to play Baldur's Gate / BG2 was to quicksave every ten feet for the entire game and keep going that way until you wipe on a fight a couple of times, then sigh, reload once again to the save right before the fight, and slam the button on all the spells and scrolls you've hoarding and never using throughout the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Alright, I've got some time now, so let's get to that effort-post I promised on the Stealth=Phase mechanics of the Alien RPG.
[...]
While this is going on the characters may have to deal with either Active or Passive Enemies. Passive Enemies are ones that are not immediately aware of the characters presence and are automatically detected by characters in the same zone or in line of sight of them. Unless a character tries to remain hidden or move stealthily Passive Enemies will automatically detect them. Get past Passive Enemies undetected or sneak attacking them is typically handled by an opposed Movement test against the Passive Enemy's Observation. More threatening are Active Enemies - These are enemies that are aware of the PCs presence and are typically actively hunting them. Active Enemies remain hidden from the PCs by default unless they attempt to attack the PCs, The PCs directly scrutinize the area that they are hiding in or the PCs detect them with a Motion Detector. If an Active Enemy wishes to attack a PC they make an opposed Movement test against the PCs Observation skill in much the same way as a PC sneak attacking a Passive Enemy.

The other big thing is that Active Enemies are not elements that the GM can just pull out of thin air: Once the Stealth Phase begins the GM starts controlling any active enemies, who must abide by the same general rules of movement as the PCs. NPCs like Xenomorphs might have slightly different capabilities than the PCs (For instance, there are several different types of xenos in the game that are capable of moving through more zones in a single turn than a PC), but their position is actively and concretely tracked by the GM throughout the stealth phase. The game recommends the GM have a separate copy of the map set up so they can use tokens to secretly track the positions and movements of Active Enemies.

This leads to a very tense, nerve-wracking game of cat and mouse between the PCs and the Active Enemies they're facing, where they know they're being hunted but don't necessarily have an idea of where the thing hunting them is. Trying to track the movement of active enemies, avoid crossing paths with them and predict where they're going to go becomes an integral part of the game during stealth mode.
Thank you. I mentioned it earlier and haven't changed my mind with this post: this sort of streamlined mix of hunt-and-hunted rules strikes me as the sort of secret sauce a LOT of genre emulation could make use of. My brain is broken, so I usually default to thinking of Jurassic Park - although in fairness the raptors share a sort of horror niche with the xenomorphs - but there's plenty of critters that strike me as benefitting from a more lengthy run up than 'make a stealth check to see who ambushes who.'

edit:

Imagined posted:

I thought the correct way to play Baldur's Gate / BG2 was to quicksave every ten feet for the entire game and keep going that way until you wipe on a fight a couple of times, then sigh, reload once again to the save right before the fight, and slam the button on all the spells and scrolls you've hoarding and never using throughout the entire game.
Close. The correct way is to do this until you wipe over and over again then still refuse to ever use a consumable and just brute force your way through everything by mindlessly slamming dispels left right and center and LoSing nonsense.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 26, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Yawgmoth posted:

Some people get all their pleasure from figuring out how to avoid actually playing the game.

Honestly with BG1 especially it felt like you kind of had to cheese a lot of it until at least level 3, I found the game was either insanely hard or cartoonishly easy based on level, with the occasional "whoops, I stepped on a spider trap and the spiders killed us in 1 second" nonsense in the cloakwood.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Yawgmoth posted:

It was definitely a different time, but there's a reason we got away from that kind of thing. The "time of judgment" runs for each line were especially hilarious for this, because they assumed that the PCs were both important enough to have around at Giant Event X but too weak to actually step up and do anything to influence said event. Vampire in particular has a couple that are quite literally "the PCs stand off to the side and provide color commentary; any attempt to alter the way events progress should result in immediate death."

I specifically remember a ton of people saying "oh thank loving god" when they heard that WW was getting rid of metaplot bullshit for nWoD, either because they were tired of spending money on books that were >50% content they'd never use, or because they were tired of needing to do homework just to play in a drat game, or because they were tired of having to explain "no, xyz did not happen in this game" to every new player. Out of all the people I knew who played WoD, I'd say only two actually legitimately enjoyed the metaplot.

nWoD does have metaplot - it just has a tiny, vestigial metaplot limited to the scale of "the Nemean got deposed from being Boston's Hierarch, as he is is explicitly set up to be in Boston's book", "Hurricane Katrina destroyed the Vampire society described in the New Orleans book, which came out before it happened", "Grandfather Crow achieved the New Dawn so wont be in any more books" and... I'm actually blanking on any more concrete examples. That's how little of it there is.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dave Brookshaw posted:

nWoD does have metaplot - it just has a tiny, vestigial metaplot limited to the scale of "the Nemean got deposed from being Boston's Hierarch, as he is is explicitly set up to be in Boston's book", "Hurricane Katrina destroyed the Vampire society described in the New Orleans book, which came out before it happened", "Grandfather Crow achieved the New Dawn so wont be in any more books" and... I'm actually blanking on any more concrete examples. That's how little of it there is.

nWoD's entire thing was "toolbox vs setting" wasn't it? Everyone I know who played VtmB in the 90's said they never listened to any metaplot and didn't even give the tiniest gently caress anyway. That attitude seems common amongst anyone who isn't a 40k fan. Hell, in Battletech it's a meme.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The Strix returning in number to haunt vampires after disappearing with the fall of Rome is probably another example.

But yeah, nWoD metaplot was all small scale stuff designed to not interfere with your table if you didn’t want it.
Nothing on the level of “someone sets off a nuke in the spirit world (again), completely wiping out X thing that’s been part of the game since the start.”

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 26, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was extremely confused by how White Wolf "snuck in" a new edition of V:tR and the WoD system with what were ostensibly campaign books. I'm not saying it's shady, I just could not understand it and fell out of reading new WoD stuff for quite a while.

Harn had an anti-metaplot where all published background material concerns events leading up to a given "start date."

Godlike and Progenitor devote a huge part of the book to a "default" timeline, with the idea that all bets are off after whatever point you insert the PCs.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Halloween Jack posted:

Godlike and Progenitor devote a huge part of the book to a "default" timeline, with the idea that all bets are off after whatever point you insert the PCs.

I mean, that's good adventure design, right? "Villains and other NPCs have agency. They're going to get up to [this poo poo] if left to their own devices."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

I was extremely confused by how White Wolf "snuck in" a new edition of V:tR and the WoD system with what were ostensibly campaign books. I'm not saying it's shady, I just could not understand it and fell out of reading new WoD stuff for quite a while.

Harn had an anti-metaplot where all published background material concerns events leading up to a given "start date."

It was certainly a novel idea, but it wasn't really a big shift. I remember that I played the new version fine without having read the book : I just got a brief explanation of what beats and conditions were and I was good to go. But maybe I'm too forgiving cause I like the changes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

Yo!

Who here has ever played...the Sly Cooper Trilogy? Sly Cooper and the Theivus Raccoonus? Sly 2 Band of Thieves? Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves? If not, they're cartoonish thief games where you play a band of thieves pulling off a series of heists to rob bigger thieves.

What game would work well for a Sly Cooper game? Perhaps Blades In The Dark?

For some reason I always reach for Fate Accelerated when thinking about stories that paint their characters in big, broad strokes and have them doing a variety of things. You can look into Crimeworld from the Worlds in Shadow supplement to get some setup hooks, though when it gives you numbers keep in mind Fate Accelerated is 1 lower.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yawgmoth posted:

In RPGs I think oWoD is the biggest offender. They loved having Huge Important Events™ happen involving NPCs with stat blocks that would give high level 3.5e D&D monsters a run for their word count, and if you wanted to use anything except the newest Thaumaturgy powers out of the new book you were stuck forcing these events to happen in your game by characters that your players either don't know/care about, or have possibly killed.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but it was a different era for RPGs. I don't recall ever seeing people call out metaplot and PCs playing second fiddle to the writers and their inserts until much later, hell and just looking at backlash from when new editions of popular games threw away or shook up stuff shows at least last decade there were was at least a vocal minority that really liked that style.
I think that before White Wolf, most metaplot was in the form of incredibly railroady adventure paths like Dragonlance stuff. There were exceptions, like the Traveller stuff that mllaneza laid out.

Now that I think about it, Nightlife actually blew up their setting and made it a radioactive post-apocalypse! But they were clear that it was an "alternate timeline" and they published another book or two after that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

It was just because OPP couldn't get permission from WW for real new editions, but then they did get permission while they were finishing up the first couple of books for their totally-not-new-editions. And then also the IP owner change and branding change. So that's why Requiem 2e has a WoD sigil and mentions WoD, instead of CoD.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think there's a (fuzzy) difference between metaplot and setting info. This:

Halloween Jack posted:

To me is clearly setting info.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

nWoD's entire thing was "toolbox vs setting" wasn't it?

It's supposed to be much more customisable than oWoD, certainly, but none of the games are strictly, 100% "here's some splats and mechanics, make up your own setting" which is what the entire nWoD gets portrayed as by White Wolf (Paradox Version) and fans of the oWoD unfamiliar with it. Some of the nWoD games have just as or more detailed settings than the oWoD ones - Mage, Mummy, Werewolf, Changeling - some of them are much closer to the toolbox ideal - Hunter, Deviant - and most are in the middle. Requiem has a perfectly good setting that a lot of people prefer to Masquerades. It just also has a *lot* of page count devoted to alternate settings, ways to modify it, etc.

Halloween Jack posted:

The last remnants of actual White Wolf within CCP after Onyx Path's staff quit to start Onyx Path wouldn't let OPP make a second edition of the nWoD, but *would* let them (us, as I was a freelancer on the project) update the rules and settings of the games as a series of "Chronicles". The corebook "mortal" one, Demon, and the Vampire one came out, and the Werewolf and Mage ones were written, before CCP sold the White Wolf name and ip to Paradox Interactive. NuWhite Wolf decided to rename nWoD to Chronicles of Darkness, but they also allowed Onyx Path to rebrand the update projects as actual Second Editions. The three that were already published by then got treated differently - Demon remains today as it was then, the last nWoD game to require the nWoD corebook. The God-Machine Chronicle (the corebook update) got removed from sale and a new corebook with its rules updates included got written shockingly quickly to coincide with the name change of the gameline. Requiem 2e is the same book as the Blood & Smoke: The Strix Chronicle, but has a new cover. Werewolf and Mage were still document files at the time so were easy to change - my hard drive still has the folders for "Mystery Play: The Fallen World Chronicle" on it! Some of the games were in various degrees of progress (Promethean, Beast, Changeling) but the final batch of games (Geist, Hunter, Deviant, Mummy) were never "update chronicles" at any step except maybe raw pitches. The aftereffect of the weird two-year stumbling start to the second edition is mostly in the way the core rules in the games don't quite always agree on fine details or omit different things, and that four of the games (Demon, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage) were written before the corebook subsystems for chases, investigations, and easy-build monsters. If they'd be done in order, Mage's Mage Sight rules would probably be based on Investigations, and I imagine Werewolf would have used Chases for something.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I remember being excited about Over the Edge second edition but haven't heard anything since. Is it any good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Glazius posted:

For some reason I always reach for Fate Accelerated when thinking about stories that paint their characters in big, broad strokes and have them doing a variety of things. You can look into Crimeworld from the Worlds in Shadow supplement to get some setup hooks, though when it gives you numbers keep in mind Fate Accelerated is 1 lower.

I can definitely take a look at that, especially since I own it. Makes it easier than other suggestions so far.

I also got this one: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/194021

It's from Sanguine and looks promising.

Leverage, which I happened to own, also looked really good.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I haven't looked at it in ages, but I seem to remember most of the interesting weirdness of Al Amarja being less weird and less interesting this time around.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I remember being excited about Over the Edge second edition but haven't heard anything since. Is it any good?

I bought the hardcopy and was mildly interested, but then I realized how fiddly the core mechanic was and started thinking of running it with literally any other system and then lost interest.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A lot of the overall interest dropped off when its creator, Jonathan Tweet, made a bunch of tweets about how “unfair” it was that the leftists and mainstream media wouldn’t give “race science” a fair shake.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Here's a brain buster: what makes a comedy ttrpg a "comedy ttrpg?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Something where the goal is to create fun through comedy, and the game design (not necessarily the rules) facilitates that. I split the game design from the rules because some of the best advice in my comedy game of choice, PARANOIA XP, specifically tells you to toss the rules out and do something else when it's funny (and that works out quite well in play.)

I would divide a parody RPG from a comedy RPG because a comedy RPG works to be funny at the table - a parody RPG works to be funny to read, but is often complete trash to actually play. A d20 game with "plot armour" that gives you +10,000 to all stats is just gonna be poo poo; PARANOIA XP has plot armour in the standard armour table but explicitly tells you as a GM what to use it for to make it interesting in play.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
What do you consider a comedy TTRPG? I can think of “light” games like GSS or Maid, but the only game I can think of that’s explicitly comedy rather than parody is Toon. Maybe TFOS? Maybe Paranoia for black comedy in the “good” releases?

I think Robin’s Laws noted that most players inject comedy into regular play anyway, and trying to force it further just produces forced jokes, so the general traits are few rules, low risk and often a sandboxy environment.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 27, 2021

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

When it does me a laugh and not because it sucks. I will admit I don't think about this one super hard :eng101:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good comedy RPGs: Paranoia (2E, XP), Teenagers From Outer Space, Creeks & Crawdads

Maybe-good comedy RPGs: Tales From The Floating Vagabond (never played, the material I read for it didn't particularly leave me giggling), HoL (never played, extremely funny read, not sure how well it translates to being played)

Bad comedy RPGs: Ghostbusters (misses the point of the movie spectacularly), Paranoia 5E (just the unfunniest poo poo), Macho Women With Guns (pretty thin gruel, premise has aged badly)

Storygames that can become comedy RPGs with the right playset and mindset: Fiasco, Skullduggery, Pantheon

Extremely funny when played completely straight: Hackmaster 4E (the comedy comes from the fact that you are playing a ridiculously complicated rules-complete AD&D 1E heartbreaker RAW and taking everything in it seriously, as opposed to yukking it up around the table).

GURPS has some supplements with strong comedy elements (IOU, Discworld, Goblins, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon) while not actually being comedy RPGs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gatto Grigio posted:

A lot of the overall interest dropped off when its creator, Jonathan Tweet, made a bunch of tweets about how “unfair” it was that the leftists and mainstream media wouldn’t give “race science” a fair shake.

Hah, RIP. Guess I'll look deeper into Unknown Armies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

potatocubed posted:

Let me tell you the good word about Gubat Banwa, the extremely Filipino game of tactical combat and downtime drama. It has about 300 classes and one of them is an archer who rides a flying swordfish. Another is a gun wizard. Another is a sipa player, who puts their angry ball game skills to use in fights. It's amazing.

so I thought the publisher's name seemed familiar, and it turns out I've seen at least one of their other games before, the Mecha RPG Maharlika, there's also an odd fantasy horror game Karanduun that seems kinda interesting but I'll admit also comes uncomfortably close to outright Blasphemy for my liking(which is pretty much the first time I've ever had that conundrum as I've never really had any real conflicts between my religious leanings and my hobbies before)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Electric Bastionland is a good comedy RPG centered around the idea of being forced to go treasure hunting because of an outrageous debt except you are not a treasure hunter, you're just a person who has a failed career in something. You roll some dice to determine which job you used to have (or just pick), you roll to see how much hp you start with and how much money you start with (how much hp and how much money also answers 2 additional career-specific questions that give you access to some kind of boon), the entire group is indebted to 1 company determined by whichever player is the youngest, and when a player dies they just roll up a new character and add on some more debt and join the old group. Just a few example characters rolled up right now using the game's rules and suggested names:

Name: Lyndeer
Failed Career: Counterfeit Taxidermist
Fantastic specimens bought you a small amount of money
Now that’s gone, and your name is ruined

Starting Items: Scissors, bag of stuffing, book of made-up beasts
Money: £6
HP: 3
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 14
Charisma: 7

quote:

WHAT TYPE OF ANIMAL DO YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT?
Primates:Take a stuffed frog-monkey

HOW DID YOU GET FOUND OUT AS A FRAUD?
Debunked by a Deceased Rival: Take a pouch of poison dust.

Name: Flinch
Failed Career: Street Judge
Bastion has so many courts, the whole city is effectively legal ground
With questionable credentials, you dealt with street quarrels

Starting Items: Martial-Gavel (d6), Book of Laws (incomplete)
Money: £3
HP: 6
Strength: 6
Dexterity: 11
Charisma: 11

quote:

WHY DO YOU NO LONGER PRACTISE?
Took the Fall: A judge owes you a favour

WHAT DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE WITH YOU?
Bad Reputation. Anyone on the wrong side of the law knows and dislikes you.

Name: Brunder
Failed Career: Science Mystic
The past was nothing but lies
There is hidden truth in these modern ways

Starting Items: Ceramic staff (d6, bulky, non-reactive to chemicals), glue, solvent
Money: £1
HP: 1
Strength: 13
Dexterity: 8
Charisma: 14

quote:

WHERE IS THE TRUTH HIDDEN?
In the Electric Lamps:Take a multi-setting lamp.

WHAT HAVE YOU FORESEEN?
Our Bodies are Destined to be Cast Aside: Take a mechanical hand.

Name: Urmer
Failed Career: Agricultural Saboteur
You carried out dirty jobs for malicious farmers
Now you see Bastion is even more ruthless

Starting Items: Pitchfork (d6, bulky)
Money: £1
HP: 2
Strength: 17
Dexterity: 14
Charisma: 8

quote:

WHO WAS YOUR LAST EMPLOYER?
Apiary Acreage: Take a big jar of honey.

WHAT’S THE LAST SCRAP OF YOUR LIFE AS A SABOTEUR?
A Haywire Bomb (crackling explosion that does no harm, but disables anything electric in the blast).

Name: Pearl
Failed Career: Rural Tax Collector
You’ve spent more time than you care on the roads of Deep Country
Squinting at obsolete currencies was your life

Starting Items: Taxman’s pistol (d6, extremely loud)
Money: £4
HP: 1
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 13
Charisma: 13

quote:

WHAT DID THE TAX OFFICE PROVIDE YOU WITH?
Ceremonial Armour (armour 1, bulky)

WHAT DO YOU HATE MOST ABOUT BASTION?
Unionised Workers: Take membership badge for the Anti-Union Coalition.

It's lightweight and lighthearted enough and the focus on treasure hunting (and competing with a rival treasure hunting group that the GM is running as a way to keep the players going) means it's great foundation for a comedy game night. IMO.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A good comedy RPG provides you with a premise that is inherently absurd, then lets you play it dead serious, because for these characters this is just their life.

Dimension 20's Brennan Lee Mulligan discussed it a few times in interviews. For example:

quote:

In the beginnings of Dimension 20, we saw that there were two ways to tackle doing D&D comedically. One way is to kind of like do it tongue in cheek or glibly and kind of like make fun of D&D while you’re playing it, which I think ends up getting really stale really fast.

The other way to do it is to commit really hard and seriously play an idea that is inherently funny. So, our idea when you design the worlds for Dimension 20 is if you design a world that is comedic inherently, you can make it funny by just committing to it.

So, a high school for heroes with these teen adventurers who need to do quests to get a good grade on their finals is an inherently funny idea. Which means that you don’t have to work that hard to find jokes. You can just play the truth of the character, and it will be funny the more you commit to the character’s point of view. For a group of seven improvisers, that’s always going to be an easier way to find comedy than having to pop the balloon of your own sense of reality all the time.

So with A Crown of Candy, it was just about finding something we were excited to play that would once again create comedic juxtaposition. ... So you look at kings and queens dressed in their fripperies and finery and you’re like, these are dangerous, scary people, don’t get it twisted. So the idea of cute little cupcake people and gumdrop people, you know, these kings of candy and like sugar princesses and stuff like that, and then doing a Game of Thrones-style thing where it’s like, no, no, no, these are dangerous, scary people was like, oh, my God, simultaneously that is like a comedic juxtaposition, but there’s also something true about it, which is like the best kind of joke to tell. That’s what the inspiration for A Crown of Candy was.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 27, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
When I design comedy games I try to design them such that playing the normal way leads to absurd scenarios which are nevertheless 'just the characters' lives now'. When you picture the scene in your head you should picture something basically funny.

It helps the sitcom feel if the player characters are all dysfunctional as well, and that can be reinforced with rules design too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
As for some comedy games:

Cats of Catthulhu - you're cats fighting elder gods!
Goblin Quest - you're cute and utterly incompetent goblins! You will probably all die!
GURPS Goblins - it's Dickensian London, but everyone's a grotesque mutant goblin so it's even worse somehow.
Honey Heist - you're bears trying to pull off a heist for honey.
Low Life - it's post-post-post-post-post-post-post apocalypse and the sentient life on Oith is stuff like Cremefillians who evolved from Twinkies, Oofos who descend from intergalactic visitors unfortunate enough to remain and Horcs who are just, like, snotgoblins.
Pugmire - humans are gone from Earth and they left behind uplifted dogs and cats and other animals, not to mention all the detritus of their civilizations and the owners of Earth have IDEAS about their creators.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

When it does me a laugh and not because it sucks. I will admit I don't think about this one super hard :eng101:

Then that means... Hard-Wired Island is a comedy RPG! Hoisted on your own petard, Ettin!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

Macho Women With Guns (pretty thin gruel, premise has aged badly)
MWWG is that kind of 90s comedy where it's mostly just references. Like, what if Dan Quayle was a NPC? There's no political commentary, it's just Dan Quayle. It's like those Doom mods that let you kill Barney or whatever.

Edit: I suppose Fallout 2 was the apex of this kind of humour.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 27, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
On the opposite end of the spectrum, what are the least comedic pen & paper rpgs? I don't mean they try and fail at being funny or that they're just not presented in a funny way, I mean the stuff where humor and comedy don't factor into it at all and that the entire feeling and tone of the game wouldn't fit well for jokes.

The first one that comes to mind that fits is Never Going Home, a game about World War 1 but with magic. Basically people discovered horrible truths for surviving and getting ahead in the Great War and everything is terrible and awful. Some pics from it to give you the general feel and aesthetic:

The first one to actually spring to mind was Promethean: The Created, but that one doesn't fit since despite the setting and general feeling, it's very humorous.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's Steal Away Jordan and plenty of games, mostly indie narrative games, about pretty heavy topics.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dawgstar posted:

Then that means... Hard-Wired Island is a comedy RPG! Hoisted on your own petard, Ettin!

You take that back, Ettin's never been funny in his entire life!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I saw a preview and it looks like they smoothed out some of the odd mechanical bits that were very of-its-time, kind of like Feng Shui's evolution from the first to second editions. I've been meaning to check it ou

Gatto Grigio posted:

<TikTok Oh No Song>

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FirstAidKite posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, what are the least comedic pen & paper rpgs? I don't mean they try and fail at being funny or that they're just not presented in a funny way, I mean the stuff where humor and comedy don't factor into it at all and that the entire feeling and tone of the game wouldn't fit well for jokes.

The first one that comes to mind that fits is Never Going Home, a game about World War 1 but with magic. Basically people discovered horrible truths for surviving and getting ahead in the Great War and everything is terrible and awful. Some pics from it to give you the general feel and aesthetic:

The first one to actually spring to mind was Promethean: The Created, but that one doesn't fit since despite the setting and general feeling, it's very humorous.

I got that game on sale but never even read it.

How is it?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

How is it?
SkyeAuroline's review is the only one I've seen by someone who's actually played the game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

FirstAidKite posted:

Red Markets.

I wonder if this is a bit paradoxical too, though. People in stressful situations do make jokes; it's one of the most basic ways of dealing with it. But in an RPG, this is much harder to deal with because the mood at the table can change completely when you don't also know that actually you are going over the top in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MonsieurChoc posted:

How is it?

Hi, I may be the only person on SA who's GMed it. Its official content is railroaded as gently caress and it's designed for a depressing cycle of loss that the system can't really live up to. It has a few neat mechanics to salvage, but one adventure is all I ever want to have done with it. As was already linked, my F&F goes into more detail on it. (Though I never did talk about the adventure I ran...)

I would second the motion for Red Markets as least comedic RPG on the market, though the art tries to inject some jokes that fall flat.