Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

You also won one as LA Ry'leh so I think the appropriate punishment would be to do rundowns of the popkill nations.

Generally though yeah they're all pretty bad against a normal nation who knows what they're doing and aren't even very fun to play, in my opinion.

How can LA Ryleh be bad when it is Literally the only water nation in LA (with the sort of exception of Atlantis, which is only not a water nation because the capital is on land)?! No one can ever attack you!
but seriously I’m pretty sure the last time water nations could be argued as good was Dominions 3, where you could try and turtle up underwater forever and eventually just throw down enough gem gens to wish your way to a lategame victory. Once Dominions 4 added a win condition that wasn’t “absolute annihilation of all opposition” and it became possible to win while ignoring those underwater turtle strats entirely, all that was left was being worse at getting onto land (aka most provinces) than most land nations later on are at getting into water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

the Orb of Zot posted:

How can LA Ryleh be bad when it is Literally the only water nation in LA (with the sort of exception of Atlantis...

I will not stand for this erytheia erasure, the crazy inbred merpeople are a real nation that deserves respect.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Ramc posted:

If you don't mind (1) a VLP and (2) that it is mod popkill nation Mu (author of clowns.dm) has an LP of him playing a popkill mod nation of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPPZqwpR9Q

thank you very much!

PurpleXVI posted:

I consider myself pretty cool with Lemuria(I got a win!) and Asphodel(I almost got a win!) so say the word if you want a detailed rundown of one of those two.

That would be very much appreciated, particularly Lemuria.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tevery Best posted:

That would be very much appreciated, particularly Lemuria.

Alright! When I get home this evening I'll try to make some detailed writeups of why these nations are troubled.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Alright! When I get home this evening I'll try to make some detailed writeups of why these nations are troubled.

Once you do ping me, I'll add it to the OP. And I'm also really interested to see your take on it, because I've only ever really messed with Lemuria.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 17 - Fire Closest?

Those six earth gems are the payment for that nice bushel of grenades.
Three throne claims this turn! Interesting stuff.

None of these are going to get me killed, so I don’t care. A few thrones come with events, but Gaia is the most infamous and I don't think we have it in this game.
Future Lukas note: First age is in Lemnos's cap circle. Heh.

Ugggghhhhh. I watched this before writing, and it wasn’t good. As you can see, half the deaths were friendly fire. Let’s just watch and you’ll quickly understand why.

Starts off fairly normally, but…

Wait no what are you doing. They’re moving really far forward for some stupid reason.

And completely ignoring the main enemy force! They’re not on fire archers, I do not understand this priority.

Speaking of Archers, they’re 200% hosed. I did not need this many units shooting them. Why? Why would you waste this much on a few crossbowmen?

You utter morons. I have no sympathy.

Also Marco’s a touch too close, and gets obliterated half a second after this shot was taken. I really have no sympathy for those soldiers who decided not to shoot at the angry dwarves running in their direction. None at all.

Ouch. He reforms on the other side of the battlefield, but losing that Laser feels kinda bad.

By the time the Jarl is wiped out and they rout, most of my soldiers are dead. Ugh.A few even retreat, but that’s unimportant. What matters is that we’ve taken the castle at the cost of a couple turns of solder freespawn and ~20 gems. Unsure if that’s a good trade?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Metal slugs have a huge siege attack bonus. We’ll pretty much always be doing this.

And Marco… promoted?

I’m having trouble taking this seriously. But it’s still a pretty good upgrade, and should hold until he gets a real weapon again.
But after some equipment rejiggling… we are leaving.

I don’t trust my current gunline against ~80 sacreds.I’m leaving four recruits behind with the van and giving the rod of authority to Madoka, who will regroup with Tarma and hand it to him. Alongside another 25 soldiers temporarily lead by Camo Clown Car the FCV. Back at the capital Rumi is casting Arcane Probing on The Wetlands to see if we can find that province. Astral pearls are always useful and at worst I can just turn them into earth gems. Which I’m still in really short supply of. Ten are going this turn on summoning the final Metal Hero, and we’ll see how she fares.

Recruitment is… pretty simple. Ami’ll be able to bring along even more slugs, and I’ll be getting the hydromancer next turn so I can start forging living water bottles on top.
Relying on Field Command Vehicle Freespawn is honestly pretty cheap, but this way I last longer so I don’t care.

Next time: Possible attempt by Dedarag to break the siege?

Bonus:

Ryugo Joe Refuses to die.
[20:18] great sage equal to kevin (Otherwise known as BeardBeard): it is time to pay for your rat bastard villain ways
[20:22] Arcvasti: those shrimp soldiers may have simple minds, but they also have the simple dream of dunking on jonjoe
[20:22] gonadic ganymede: do NOT sleep on shrimp soldiers
[20:22] gonadic ganymede: I will harbour a grudge for the rest of my days
[20:32] BaronOhShi: threatening with crab trauama huh
[20:33] my dad: 4000 gold PD dump
[20:33] my dad: that's not something you see every day
[20:33] Lukas: 4000 gold of sushi
[20:34] nurpleDCLXVI: What the gently caress.
[20:34] nurpleDCLXVI: How much PD is that.

[22:40] Ramc: where did you get 4000 gp tho you gotta tell us later or in the lp
[22:44] Arcvasti: could just be luck events and pausing recruitment for a turn
[22:45] Arcvasti: also it was on their cap so it started at like 25 pd already
[22:45] JonJoe: no
[22:45] JonJoe: I already cleared out the cap once
[22:45] Arcvasti: oof
[22:45] JonJoe: from like 40-50 pd the first time
[22:45] Arcvasti: revenge of the kitfox...
[22:46] JonJoe: whats really funny is that in term of sacred costs you can see that if I had maybe, idk, 10 more I would have won maybe
[22:46] JonJoe: which would have put me at half the cap PD in overall expenditure

Future Lukas update: The secret revealed! ..Kinda.

[16:26] Lukas: also seeing as it has been: Like 30 or more turns and we are approaching that famous moment
who did fund the PD dump?
[16:28] beardbeard: i did it all myself
[16:28] Lukas: wait
Did nobody fund it
[16:28] Lukas: that's even funnier
[16:30] beardbeard: i had like 2 provs in my capring with 100 income
[16:30] beardbeard: and was limited by my res/rec
[16:30] beardbeard: so
[16:31] beardbeard: think i got at least one gold dump event too
[16:31] Lukas: that's a punchline if I've ever seen one

I was honestly expecting it to have been purple or something. I even offered gold at one point and was told no! But now Jonjoe has those provinces. Something to note for the future.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh man, that PD dump is beautiful.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
still mad about that tbh lol, but I suppose if it was self-funded it wasn't like there was a better choice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Before I scrolled down I was expecting to see like four merc companies or something, not an alpha kitfox.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

goatface posted:

Before I scrolled down I was expecting to see like four merc companies or something, not an alpha kitfox.

UW has a lot of trouble getting mercs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
True, hadn't thought about that.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Arcvasti posted:

those shrimp soldiers may have simple minds, but they also have the simple dream of dunking on jonjoe

Also I feel like this needs to be highlighted.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

OOrochi posted:

Their powerful tail ensures slapping of Aphroi Monstrosities.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Hirdwalves

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Sweet Freespawn and Hella Popkill

Asphodel

Asphodel is absolutely the odd man out in the popkill pantheon, being the only one that explicitly calls for Growth scales and is themed around overwhelming life rather than creeping death. The deepest lore for Asphodel is that after Pan got their rear end kicked in the Early Age Ascension Wars, a bunch of them got salty and decided that no one was allowed to live, encouraging the plants to murder everyone and turn their bones into walking, murderous plant holders. A pretty good plan, all things considered. Unlike MA Ermor and LA Lemuria, Asphodel can actually recruit mages and has recruitable sacreds, both of which help ensure them a nice stable start.

Their conventional, recruitable sacreds are basically EA Pan's White Centaurs(but now black), and in fact most of their recruitable mage lineup is just Pan's. Where they differ, is in their non-recruitable lineup.

They get to burn Nature gems to summon these sweet fellas, D1N1H2's and H1's, all of which can Reanimate to score you Asphodel's freespawn at a faster rate. You're still extremely reliant on your recuitable mages, though, since none of your summonables can random Water, and you need those Water/Nature crosspath mages to vomit out Foul Vapors and kill everyone on the battlefield with farts after they pass out from Rigor Mortis(in non-JBBM games, Howl at Conjuration 5 is also vital, in JBBM games it's replaced in function with Redolent Howl at a higher level and thus less easy to beeline for).

the water path can be annoyingly unwilling to happen, though, so be ready to spend a lot of gold on these guys

Another sink for their Nature gems is also that Asphodel can summon castles into being in Forest provinces, which also give them better freespawn, which means that forests are super vital for Asphodel to secure and spawn near, so they can get somewhat screwed by random distribution of starting locations, and lastly that they have a moderately-okay remote province attack spell called Dark Slumber which, once again, can only target forests, and spawns a chunk of freespawn and a commander to take it. If it was available earlier, it could be a good boost to their expansion and help them secure forest provs early, but as it is, it's mostly just a spell for annoying enemies since it'll bounce off 15 PD half the time.

Other national spells are an undead-only Haste and Regeneration. A good reason to Prophet a Carrion Lord is that their battlefield-wide Undead Regen spell requires H4.

Their freespawn sacreds have the dubious distinction of being the only sacred archers you'll ever likely see massed, and are quite good. One thing to note is that JBBM gives them, and most Asphodel freespawn, the rarely seen(does any vanilla unit even have the tag?) ability "Dominion Power," which gives them something like +1 Str, Atk, Def per 2 candles. In a big swarm, it can add up to a lot of boosted strength for Asphor's freespawn which are, frankly, not bad. I would absolutely rate them above Ermor and Lemuria's in pure fighting power, and the fact that they have a MUCH higher incidence of sacreds than either of those nations means that a bless for them actually isn't entirely wasted, but it can be hard to find one that synergizes well with both their sacreds and their expander.

Because Aspho needs an expander or they won't have a second province before turn 5.

The Carrion Dragon isn't a bad choice(also exclusive to Aspho and the Pans), though it does suffer from the fact that Aspho is extremely locked into N, D and a little bit of W for their paths. This isn't readily a problem against most nations, but nations like, say, Arcoscephale, C'tis and Marignon can absolutely ruin you in the late mid/endgame just by mind hunting all your guys into ash, since none of them can resist it. So personally I'd rate an Astral 4 PG highly, especially since a magic resistance bless would go nicely on making your Sagittarian Carcasses hard to banish. C'tis, in particular, is a problem as they are also hard to Foul Vape away, and I would rate them as possibly the biggest hardest counter to Asphodel in MA due to that combination.

Aspho also seems to get dogpiled a lot less aggressively than the other popkills, I'm not sure entirely why. Possibly because their Growth scales means their provinces become less cursed less quickly, and possibly also because they don't have the spectre of late game communions that will allow them to poo poo death all over everyone else.

They need to kill someone by the end of year 2 or so to be a contender, though, in my opinion, and ideally to sprint for an early win of some sort. Let things run to Cata, and you're doomed. Also highly reliant on their Nature gem income.

Lemuria

Lemuria is what happens when you forget an Ermor in the fridge, though canonically they're Sceleria's factory owners screaming about needing more undead labour, the mages going "FINE, gently caress YOU" and just breaking a hole in the world full of ghosts. Their main notable trait is that almost every single Lemurian unit and commander is ethereal and floating. Like MA Ermor, they gain death gems from their temples(up to their Domstrength worth) and have zero recruitable anythings. EVERYTHING requires death gems or is freespawn, and they have a hidden trap where you can't summon your good mages without a D3, and you can't summon any D3 mages without being D3, so if you accidentally make a Lemuria pretender with D2 or even no Death, you're a bit boned.

Now, if you don't gently caress up like that, though, you can summon some very, very nice mages.

Immortal, floating, ethereal communion leaders. Muy bueno, though also muy expensive at 50 Death Gems a pop, in the Late Age where site frequency drops compared to the other eras. Even their D2S1 communion fodder require 20 Death Gems to summon and, sadly, are not immortal, making them easily lost, comparatively. Lemuria largely lives or dies on whether someone lets them crank out enough of these scary fuckers that they can research their way up to Rigor Mortis, which is probably their most important research target. Unlike Asphodel, who has decent units against the Middle Age's mildly armored idiots, Lemuria has big problems with their freespawn.

Their sacreds? Good. Fine. You'll get like two of them over a game.

These banner boys? Fear? That owns. Sadly, rare as hen's teeth.

Mostly you'll be getting these worthless trash fuckers outside of forts, and the best you can hope for in forts...

is ghosts dealing a great and wonderful twelve damage against LA's heavy armor(you will rarely stumble into something that does a whole 17 damage, but they're comparatively rare). I mean maybe if you run into a Mictlan player who forgot all their priests at home, you might be able to stab his dudes in the ear and clinch a win, but otherwise? God, no. You're reliant entirely on a cool expander and everyone being morons. I've won an LA Lemuria game, surrounded by Vaetti, Pan, Ulm and Marignon. Any one of them could have owned me, and I only luckily managed to fight Vaetti to a standstill long enough to convince them to get involved in funnier fights. Vaetti has the unique trait of having both lots of magic weapons, good anti-undead magic AND plenty of Nature magic to wander into a rampant Lemuria's home territories without everyone starving to death and dying in a swamp.

I know that JBBM makes some Lemuria changes, but I'm not clear on their exact details, this is entirely going off of Vanilla Lemuria, which sucks.

R'lyeh

LA R'lyeh is a bit like Asphodel in that they've still got some actual recruitables to ameliorate the harshness of freespawn, and all their mages are gold-bought rather than randomed, which is nice. On the downside, their dominion also causes insanity alongside popkill, which is minor for troops, but all your slaves mages(which are surprisingly important since they don't cost tons of gold and have some paths your starspawn are less likely to random sometimes), will occasionally spend their time drooling and staring at the sky rather than, say, researching or moving.

Starspawn do kick rear end, though, very good, but their troop versions are pretty overcosted. Generally R'lyeh's recruitable troops are dogshit and you will soon forget they exist as you develop vast hordes of cultists to hurl at enemies alongside the occasional Void Creature Gacha prize. What's Void Gacha you might ask? Well, see, R'lyeh(in both MA and LA) has this neat cap site...

You toss in a mage with summoning skill(that's the ritual circle tag on the starspawn), and dice are rolled. If they roll badly, nothing happens. If they roll REALLY badly, your mage suffers an assassination that will absolutely kill it nine times out of ten, even with bodyguards. But if they roll good... I mean, you might just get an immobile fungus. But you might also get...

Some really good poo poo! Sadly "angry fungus" is much more common and I personally think LA R'lyeh would be a lot better with the void gate replaced with astral summoning spells. They already have one for Void Spectres, for 25 pearls you get a floating, stealthy, ethereal undead S4 starspawn mage which causes increased rates of insanity when hiding in hostile territory. They're very fun terror weapons. Another advantage of Void Gacha is that they don't need to eat because, uh, unlike every other popkill nation... your freespawn is largely mortal and need to eat. So by some point if you don't get killed first, everything you have is starving and diseased. Which sucks.

So, how do you pass the time until you can roll everyone with communions and void monsters and thousands of cultists? Why, you use an Expander Pretender!

Let's look at R'lyeh's four unique pretender options(or semi-unique, MA R'lyeh has all of them and EA has one of them, too).

The Void Lurker is... lol why are you even here. Are you going scales? Going for a HELLBLESS? Get the gently caress out.

Only time I ever saw the King in Yellow was for a Badgods game where everyone was trying to make the worst god they could that was still playable. Four attacks is nice, but WAY too fragile to be a good expander and you probably can't afford to toss high Earth on him.

The Void Lord is approaching something worth using as an expander. He's pretty much a Titan who doesn't suck complete poo poo, but probably still hard to bless into something good. Never, ever seen him in a game except the time I wished for ten PG chasses', GoR'd them, gave them artifacts and sent them into the fray. They all died in the first fight while doing no damage. So, my review is: lol.

This guy, though, he kicks rear end. He knows where it's at. Can teleport anywhere, tons of attacks, ethereal, loving damage reversal(Blood Vengeance's better, cooler older brother who NEGATES reversed damage as well as returning to sender. This guy rules.). The downside is that the Uttervast is so expensive that it can only be used as an at least Dormant pretender. But with a bit of proper path choice, it's the sort of PG that erases entire armies by itself. A favourite of mine is making sure he has Death and Air so he can bust out Wailing Winds(which owns in vanilla, JBBM has shifted it to a more appropriate point on the research ladder) and Soul Vortex. But it's good for just about everything. Also if you're playing the long game, make sure to give it S9 so it can eventually Wish-Empower itself into every path,

LA R'lyeh is also yet another hard counter to LA Lemuria since all of their freespawn commanders are Holy-pathed and many are also S1's, so they can be turned into huge banishing communions that sweep the entire battlefield alongside Solar Rays spam and the like.

They're actually mostly almost a good nation, except that holy poo poo I'd rather shoot myself than trying to wriggle them out of a lake as anything but LA Atlantis, the only LA nation with reliable Void Sanity(which largely negates anything that causes insanity, like R'lyeh's dominion effect and the Void Spectre effect). They're the explanation for why both popkills and underwater nations areb anned from most games on the SA Dominions server.

Hopefully that was what people wanted to hear about popkills. Let me know if you want to know more, about popkills, and I will talk more, about popkills. And anyone who disagrees with me is very wrong.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Note for the readers:

Vanilla Lemuria is widely considered to be among the most powerful nations in the game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fairly good overview that matches my experience with those nations.

I will say I do like me an asphodel.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Another thing that makes ghost's damage bad is that their attacks can be negated by magic resistance for half damage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Quietly wondering if I should've tagged the post as "Popkill Team Epic" instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

my dad posted:

Note for the readers:

Vanilla Lemuria is widely considered to be among the most powerful nations in the game.

Another note - Vanilla Asphodel is possibly the weakest nation in the entire game of any age, and is certainly in the running for it.

As for Lemuria, in a bit of a hurry but banners are not remotely rare if you've got decent dominion, and we know the exact spawn rates of Spectral Lictor groups - it's 2% per candle over 5 (max 10% chance) per templed/forted province every turn. So while you won't get too many (they spawn in groups of ~5), you're certainly getting way more than 2 total over an entire game unless you're doing something incredibly strange with your dom score... also this doesn't really matter because Lemuria should absolutely have a thug bless, not a troop bless. Additionally, Lemuria should be having absolutely no issues with research, because all their researchers have Magically Attuned - and they can get the weakest mage as freespawn.

At least, unless JBBM changed the spawn rates.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

and they can get the weakest mage as freespawn.

"Can" doing a lot of work there, as during the Lemuria game I won, I did not get a single freespawn mage at any point during the four or five in-game years it lasted.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just spam banish until the pain ends.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

"Can" doing a lot of work there, as during the Lemuria game I won, I did not get a single freespawn mage at any point during the four or five in-game years it lasted.

Then that's either a domscore issue or a JBBM one - or else you have the worst RNG luck ever. Depending on your domscore, and how many forts you have (even like 4), you should absolutely be seeing several per year.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
no love for poor therodos

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

gonadic io posted:

no love for poor therodos

Therodos deserves what it gets

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just did a quick test, and with Dom 7 I'd spawned 5 Acolytes by turn 24. Obviously this might be less in an actual game given how much Dominions always seems to like to screw you over from test games, but that still implies a fairly decent spawn chance given that's starting with only 1 fort. Certainly it implies that if you'd spawned none in like 70 turns there's an issue with either the JBBM mod or some part of the pretender build.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Arcvasti posted:

those shrimp soldiers may have simple minds, but they also have the simple dream of dunking on jonjoe

OOrochi posted:

There's a little shrimp soldier that helped take down an huge invading force of some kind of loving fishtaurs or something. One of only twelve remaining of a hundred from that massive PD dump that survived. Broken but unbowed.

Watching those scaly bastards turn fishtails and run sure tasted sweet to a simple little decapod crustacean. Sweet with just the right amount of umami.

We captured that taste, and we keep giving it back to him so he can give it right back to you, in every bite of new Shrimple bearbeard's Eat poo poo JonJoe Wafer Selects.

Come home to the unique joy that comes with dunking on JonJoe. Come home to Shrimple beardbeard.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, I thought they were some kind of small pastries?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

goatface posted:

Just spam banish until the pain ends.

Flaming arrows works even better I think. Of course you can always do both at once. For people following along who don't play the game flaming arrows is a relatively early spell (enchantment 4) that is very easy to cast for any nation with fire magic and there's various types of archers you can recruit pretty much everywhere if you don't natively have them.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 18 - Implausible Angles

No breakout from the Dwarves, but we’ve got a lot of events all the same. I’ll get to Ami afterwards, because she’s a right nasty one.

I knew it!

Wow, that’s… kinda rubbish. And it doesn’t even tell you normally that it horror marks! (At a 2% chance). There’s twelve horror mark sites in core dominions 5 (plus one throne), five of which are astral. Looking at the mod inspector this is in the upper quarter of ‘good’ horror mark sites for me, mostly because I can’t really use the ones that provide ritual bonuses. But one astral pearl isn’t that great.

At least now I know to avoid this place forever!

Yeah, that’s about what I expected.

...Huh. They’re still focusing on the dwarf instead of the horde of militia, even on fire closest. I bet this’ll screw me over somehow.

Nobody even got close, though. Once the Jarl died the rest turned and fled, and were shot to pieces in the process. So I guess it's a good thing?

Mostly just showcasing the event text. Regular army got me a Carrot.

How the hell do I have thirty air gems?

No, really. HOW?
Hmm. This gives me an idea. It’s not a good one, but it’s an idea all the same.

If I can get any more air gem income I might actually empower my god in air. It’d give me access to A5 forges and rituals. I’ve got no plans on doing this for water though, for the simple reason that I don’t really need to yet. W3 casters can easily reach W5 already through magical boosters, and the only W6 enchantments are… niche at best.

This one might be good if Oceania starts really pissing me off, though. But that’s 135 water gems at minimum.

Moving on…

Irrelevant.

This is four recruits against an entire fortress of dwarves. They’re obviously not going to be able to do it.

Say hello again to Vespika, and to Purple. I used this as a chance to hit him up for gems again, and profess that I had no plans on invading him yet. He’s currently busy fighting Lemnos, who aren’t able to help me at this point. Not that it matters much honestly, that bump won me the war.

[19:25] PurpleXVI: Also I see you're, uh, casually owning Dedarag. Interesting.
[19:25] PurpleXVI: Gonna lay claim to Wood of Many Paths, though.
[19:25] Lukas: I don't actually own it yet
[19:25] Lukas: the FCV is just really big
[19:25] Lukas: and so is my flag
-Surplus discussion in which we haggle over gem prices-
[19:43] PurpleXVI: Speaking of, lol, j. is quite unhappy that I took the throne in his cap circle.
[19:43] PurpleXVI: Something something "i'll coalition you if you don't let me have it" etc. etc.
[19:43] PurpleXVI: But I'm sure that you'd never join a coalition against me, known player of virtue Purple.
[19:43] Lukas: the way he phrased was more like
"Purple's invading me and please backstab him when you're done with dedarag hint hint"
[19:44] PurpleXVI: I mean if you think about it, you can either backstab someone already getting owned, OR fight a swarm of angry waspmen.
[19:44] Lukas: I'm a little put out because he was going to help me with the dwarves originally
But that was when I thought they had actual territory
not their cap circle and like four provinces off to one side
[19:44] Lukas: I literally won my first game off of only ever sharking losing players
[19:45] Lukas: so I probably will be taking a few chunks once I'm done
[19:50] PurpleXVI: Excellent. I'm sure we'll get along famously as neighbours.
[19:51] Lukas: Of course!
And if you start dying, I'll make sure our border provinces go to a good home.
[19:51] PurpleXVI: You may want to refer to my tag that says "spite elemental."
[19:53] Lukas: I am unable to find said tag but I believe you on that front
But wouldn't you rather those provinces go to me than whoever killed you?
[19:56] PurpleXVI: Depends on my mood that day, I'll play it by ear. I may fight all comers or let you have it to completely own someone else.
[19:58] Lukas: good to know

As said above J. Has been trying to convince me to attack Vespika, but I’m a little busy at the moment. It’s definitely a war I plan to join in on, but I’m not settled on which side to join just yet. Doesn't mean I can't be polite about it!

[14:10] j.: not this turn, no. possibly not at all! i have just been very rudely backstabbed by purple
[14:11] Lukas: Oh dear. Any way I can help?
[14:12] j.: not unless you have a border with him
[14:12] Lukas: JonJoe cut me off
[14:12] j.: which you possibly will after having eaten all of dedarag
[14:12] Lukas: If you’re still holding I will join in
[14:12] j.: very well
[14:12] Lukas: But he’s got a big cap stack so this might take a while

Future Lukas note: This is 200% funnier now that I know the true circumstances.

I’m going to continue cycling around and taking provinces this turn,and if he breaks out I’ll immediately reconquer. Ensuring that I get all the income is more important and honestly it just makes my job easier.

And if he does break, I get to see what he’s breaking with.

There’s a lot going on here. Ryugo-Jo took another province back, exploiting the fact that most of JonJoe’s sacreds met an unfortunate end. On my end…
A mark of a good dominions player is using every resource at your disposal. I’d love to say this was a genius plan, but honestly it’s mostly a lucky coincidence. POWs have full slots, and while my plan was to give Tarma the rod giving it to the POW means he can still kill things at full efficiency.

...How the hell did you get horror marked as well?
Must have gone through the Impossible Angle province at some point. Ugggghhh.

Camo Clown Car is going home, while the POW and Marco take my forces to Rim Mountains. They’ll be met there by Ami, who is quite the monster.

Lightning Reflexes as a heroic ability is upping her def to 20, and she’s got a tasty 20 protection - although her head is uncovered. I’ll have to fix that eventually. For now I’m giving her the carrot and Nanobot Vial, because I’ve got no useful helmets and a grenade box is worse than the generic HMG.

This is the real prize, though. Dominions’s random number generator means it’ll do a lot more than 4 damage sometimes, and precision 12 ups her precision to… 21. 32 effectively, so this isn’t missing any time soon. Only four shots isn’t bad, and that long range should stop her from killing herself with this. And even if it somehow does, she’s got 5 shock resist base and another 5 from the vial.

Future Lukas Note: I don't know how many projectiles it fires, but it's a LOT.

Rumi is probing Bhamot because I’m paranoid now, and I’m taking the time to forge another research booster in a minor lull.

Honourable mention to the Wait Command, which is enabled with (capital) W. I didn’t know it was a thing until a few turns ago (thanks, Gonadic Io!) and it’s been saving my sanity.

Meet my first hydromancer! I will probably find some way to use these in combat eventually, but for now there is one purpose and one purpose only for Hydromancers.

Forging.
Unfortunately Quickness boots are garbage and.. Basically everything else except cheap helmets and rings of water breathing are worthless to me. But there is one shining light in this gigantic pile of garbage.

Can you see it? Right down there?

This guy! Again. A free elemental every fight, and one extra metal slug leadership.
Speaking of slugs, I am finally making a money surplus! But I’ve got no real way to make a fort at the moment. So I’m recruiting two POWs in Isurian - one for scouting, and one to do a fort. Which means it’s time to talk about Mercenaries.

I’ve been ignoring them most of the game because I’m… well, broke. But I actually get mercs slightly cheaper!

Most of these are honestly pretty solid (not counting the Cassia ones who are almost dead). Except for Bindar’s Mighty Markatas. They’re.. Uh..
They’re tiny monkeys. Cheap ones!
I’m throwing a bid for them, because with how my money situation is I can probably start a fort next turn using them. The other four are still full, and would cost about ~150 gold each. I don’t care enough to bid for them, but if they’re still free in a turn or two I just might.

The rest of my gold is.. Uh..

Yeah. I got a good rate for it!

Next time: Water bottles! Furiosa Wannabe will die, but that’s OK.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 28, 2021

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

LukasR23 posted:

Lightning Reflexes as a heroic ability is upping her def to 20, and she’s got a tasty 20 protection - although her head is uncovered. I’ll have to fix that eventually. For now I’m giving her the carrot and Nanobot Vial, because I’ve got no useful helmets and a grenade box is worse than the generic HMG.

This is the real prize, though. Dominions’s random number generator means it’ll do a lot more than 4 damage sometimes, and precision 12 ups her precision to… 21. 32 effectively, so this isn’t missing any time soon. Only four shots isn’t bad, and that long range should stop her from killing herself with this. And even if it somehow does, she’s got 5 shock resist base and another 5 from the vial.

Future Lukas Note: I don't know how many projectiles it fires, but it's a LOT.

The Mjolnir only fires a single projectile, but its an AOE1 beam, meaning every square with that 22 range gets hit, on top of that its a chain-lightning type weapon, bouncing up to five times per hit. In Theory this means that a single shot could hit a hundred or more (I'm too tired to remember if chain lightning is per hit or per square) soldiers in one shot. It's probably the single best army clearing weapon in the game in potential, but in practice, well. I will leave it an exercise to the reader ways around it, consider it a test of your dominions knowledge.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Can't wait to see Lukas lose half an army to that thing's friendly fire.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

OOrochi posted:

Can't wait to see Lukas lose half an army to that thing's friendly fire.

I really wish the game logged friendly VS enemy kills. It'd make things so much funnier if your 'Famed killer of men' turned out to have been hitting friendlies the entire time.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I was getting a lot of milage out of mercs for my expansion this game, and I think I threshed through quite a lot of them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At this point I'm in a holding pattern with j., negotiating about whether or not I should let him have the throne in his cap circle and just walk away.

He should, perhaps, have believed my "maybe" less when I'd started out by starting a fort, building a lab and setting up a temple in more or less the first turn of holding the throne.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

At this point I'm in a holding pattern with j., negotiating about whether or not I should let him have the throne in his cap circle and just walk away.

He should, perhaps, have believed my "maybe" less when I'd started out by starting a fort, building a lab and setting up a temple in more or less the first turn of holding the throne.

Personally, I'd probably interpret "maybe" as "not a chance in hell, but I'll say maybe just for plausible deniability, stalling, and maybe tricking the other guy into suiciding a scout on me" more often than not. From what little I've seen, I'd be right reasonably frequently.

So... yeah, if I ever get this game, don't "maybe" me or I'll interpret it as a declaration of war.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

The instant someone starts a temple/lab on a province you should know they plan to hold it, j. should have hit you right then.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Boots of quickness are good actually! They give like +12 map move, and doubled aging for one turn isn't a big deal. Still worse then the nature version, but quite serviceable nonetheless.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

The instant someone starts a temple/lab on a province you should know they plan to hold it, j. should have hit you right then.
... Can you actually tell that somebody else is building a temple/lab other than circumstantial evidence? I thought scouting reports didn't tell you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

Personally, I'd probably interpret "maybe" as "not a chance in hell, but I'll say maybe just for plausible deniability, stalling, and maybe tricking the other guy into suiciding a scout on me" more often than not. From what little I've seen, I'd be right reasonably frequently.

So... yeah, if I ever get this game, don't "maybe" me or I'll interpret it as a declaration of war.

Well, future updates should indicate whether my maybes are to be trusted!

I will leave it up to your conscience, for now, as to whether you'll declare me untrustworthy so quickly.