Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

theironjef posted:

Don't a lot of stories (including the films) feature her getting banned from the island for choosing to leave in the first place?

It's usually more of a 'the gods won't let her return/find it' situation, but it's definitely been the status quo more often than not that she can go back and forth. The afore-mentioned Perez run has it as a thing... for 6 issues before the gods decide she's done her duty well enough that she can go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Paradise Island had always been open to Diana throughout the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age of comics, barring the occasional times where it got blown up or hidden in an alternate dimension or what have you. The idea of Diana being unable to return to her home is very much a recent thing; in fact, the 2017 film introduced the concept even before the comics did ah I was mistaken, the comics storyline beats it by a couple of months. Well, regardless, in the comics that plotline has since been resolved so that she can go back now.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 25, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BrianWilly posted:

Paradise Island had always been open to Diana throughout the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age of comics, barring the occasional times where it got blown up or hidden in an alternate dimension or what have you. The idea of Diana being unable to return to her home is very much a recent thing; in fact, the 2017 film introduced the concept even before the comics did ah I was mistaken, the comics storyline beats it by a couple of months. Well, regardless, in the comics that plotline has since been resolved so that she can go back now.

It was the storyline on Justice League(the animated show) in like 2001, right? She got banned from the island for the majority of the show because she let men go there while kicking Faust out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

It was the storyline on Justice League(the animated show) in like 2001, right? She got banned from the island for the majority of the show because she let men go there while kicking Faust out.

Later than 01 but yeah you got the rest right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UfZn6gviAo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every time someone shits on Cap for being fash or blindly pro American, I hope Jack Kirby's ghost comes down and beats the poo poo out of them. Then he goes to hell and beats up Hitler, because the dude hated Nazis with a glorious passion. Like seriously, unless you are completely ignorant of his creators, why he was created, what he's done, and basically everything involving the character, you cannot for a second say that he's just some right wing masturbatory fantasy. This is also why i think Steve Rogers Cap always needs to be a blond haired, blue eyed white guy because he is a specific rejection of Aryan ideals.

That's actually all the Nazis punishment in Hell, they get their rear end kicked by the King on a daily basis.

The Superheroes are Fash thing has been replaced by Superheroes are Randian, which falls apart the instant any of them do anything selfless, because the whole point about Ayn Rand's heroes is that only do stuff that benefits themselves, not others.

Also, I really dislike the DKR thing where "batman stops the people from rising up" because maybe at the start its like that, but by the end the regular people are terrified to go out, the only people who have any power are Bane, his mercs and the criminals they recruited from Blackgate, plus what every bootlickers that have attached themselves to. It's less about "people rising up and destroying capitalism is bad" and more "Charismatic strongmen will use the language of the oppressed to exploit them in the revolution and then cast them aside when they're no longer needed". Yea it really gets to deep into "Cops are Heroes!" but their weird idea that at the end Batman leads the cops to beat up the poor people makes me thing people didn't actually watch the movie and had a stoned roommate explain it to them.

But really, the only one I enjoy is Begins, its the only one that actually feels like Batman, but Batman never does any real investigating in them, he has gadgets, and punches people. He does some weird esoteric stuff in TDK, but it really is worlds greatest punchman rather than worlds greatest detective.

One of the weirdest choices about WW84 is that they set it in the 80s and there is ZERO 80s music in it. LIke that's 50% of the reason for setting something in the 80s, so you can feature The GoGos and Spandau Ballet in the movie. Batman Returns has more 80s music because the band at the Xmas party in Shrek's store is playing Superfreak.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hell, Kirby's favourite story to tell at parties was him killing 4 nazis.

Even before the US entered the war, Cap was beating up nazis. A couple sympathizers showed up at the office to threaten them into not making the comics, and Eisner recalls Kirby going down to the lobby to kick their rear end himself.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Did Russia have any superheroes in comic-book-world-war-2? Since they did all the work against the nazis and all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, Kirby's favourite story to tell at parties was him killing 4 nazis.

Even before the US entered the war, Cap was beating up nazis. A couple sympathizers showed up at the office to threaten them into not making the comics, and Eisner recalls Kirby going down to the lobby to kick their rear end himself.

One of my greatest moments in my comic selling life was telling a racist piece of poo poo that the MU was mostly conceived of by a couple of jewish guys and he lost his fuckin mind. I got written up for it but it was absolutely worth it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

One of my greatest moments in my comic selling life was telling a racist piece of poo poo that the MU was mostly conceived of by a couple of jewish guys and he lost his fuckin mind. I got written up for it but it was absolutely worth it.

So was Superman. A Canadian Jew, whose cousin was one of our best comedians, and who's son-in-law was Lorne Michaels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So was Superman. A Canadian Jew, whose cousin was one of our best comedians, and who's son-in-law was Lorne Michaels.

Jewish men created the best comic characters FIGHT ME

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Miles Morales is cool and all, but greatest? :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

True, but they also created Captain 3D. It's a nuanced situation, is what I'm trying to say.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Also, I really dislike the DKR thing where "batman stops the people from rising up"

For me it's less of a "Batman is stopping a good thing" and more "in the best case, Nolan did not examine his conservative centrist ideological biases and thus wrote a movie that is politically incoherent, or he did examine his biases and wrote a strongly pro-cop, pro-status-quo, anti-liberationist piece of propaganda that also manages to be somewhat incoherent."

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 26, 2021

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I have come to see the errors of my ways and now realize that posting “all superheroes are fash” is not, in fact, praxis

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
would you rather have amalgam or jla/avengers

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1419688771629375490?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looking forward to Amalgam Studios: Hooty Grinn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The duck dueling piano scene from who framed Roger rabbit but Shazam and capt marvel

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Um actually it's Captains Marvel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find Billy would probably get flustered around Carol.

Also I can't wait for Dark Claw Rises.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

I find Billy would probably get flustered around Carol.

On the other hand, Kamala and Freddy is the self-appointed sidekick team-up we need and deserve.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ironically I think in the post-Jan 6 world maybe DK Rises has flipped around to being progressive again, since at this time a paramilitary takeover cloaking itself in woolly notions of Doing It For The Real People and striking at the corrupt elites while not-so-secretly being an insane clown show, might actually remind people of something, and that something is not "happy communist liberation". If you've been paying attention, anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

On the other hand, Kamala and Freddy is the self-appointed sidekick team-up we need and deserve.

Now that I'd like to see.

Like how i really want Peter and Kamala to meet up. MCU Peter would be a good partner for her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Ironically I think in the post-Jan 6 world maybe DK Rises has flipped around to being progressive again, since at this time a paramilitary takeover cloaking itself in woolly notions of Doing It For The Real People and striking at the corrupt elites while not-so-secretly being an insane clown show, might actually remind people of something, and that something is not "happy communist liberation". If you've been paying attention, anyway.

On the other hand "maybe we should leave all the police in the sewer because fewer people will die to them compared to the insane terrorists'" is also entirely a valid argument. Though I guess in that TDKRs they would have joined right up with Bain.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Comrade Nolan

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Kane was Jewish but I think the word "created" might need a better looking at.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Kane was Jewish but I think the word "created" might need a better looking at.

Bill Finger who actually created Batman was Jewish too, if it helps.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rhyno said the best characters tho

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Fun fact, bill finger never gave a woman a handjob in his life but he was an excellent and devoted rear end eater

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

There's a new Shang-Chi trailer/teaser/clip but still no Spider-man trailer :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COGg-Vjauwo

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MacheteZombie posted:

The duck dueling piano scene from who framed Roger rabbit but Shazam and capt marvel

Howard the Duck and idk, Detective Chimp?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

There's a duck on Captain Carrot's squad, I think? Rubber duck?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tim Drake.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Found Bendis' lurker account.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Deathstroke and Deadpool, duh

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ScarJo wants a cut of that Disney+ money, which y'know totally fair.

https://twitter.com/ezwrites/status/1420797761033625600

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
yikes. wonder if we'll see more suits like this for other films that have done hybrid releases

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1420797603562852358

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 29, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

howe_sam posted:

ScarJo wants a cut of that Disney+ money, which y'know totally fair.

https://twitter.com/ezwrites/status/1420797761033625600

I’d say they’re just going to kill her off but well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Good for her. I wonder what The Rock's contract looks like for Jungle Cruise, also set to come out on Disney+.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, not that she's necessarily wrong if that's what her contact was based on, but why didn't she file this when it was announced months ago that it be on d+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

i mean, not that she's necessarily wrong if that's what her contact was based on, but why didn't she file this when it was announced months ago that it be on d+

If she's owed an amount relative to the performance of the film, probably just not rocking the boat until after the release to let it make money for the first little while.