Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

dejapes posted:

If Star Citizen in any way approximated what was hyped to the backers, then a digital CitizenCon would be an opportunity to showcase ten years of development. Built-in FOIP support would render real-time convention speakers in high fidelity, their speeches accompanying gestures produced by the studio's in-house mocap studio. An A-list actor or three would make a surprise cameo, gushing with excitement over the upcoming epic single player adventure while struggling not to spoil Roberts' visionary script. Thousands of attendees would gather in the same virtual space, made possible by the ground-breaking code that meshes servers together seamlessly under the aegis of proprietary Star Engine (c) technology.

Of course, SC being what it actually is, it'll be a live-streamed power-point. Anything in-game will be a static environment showcasing whatever new 3d model they want to sell you for the modest price of a used sedan. And it'll be a jittery mess, with 50-player servers suffering from rubber-banding and all the usual signs of lag.

At least there will be more material for the next dreams.txt.

A Npc in the corner doing ASL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/W7WsO9p.mp4

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Titanic posted:

Really people can just do whatever they want and call it Star Citizen because there is no real "look" or famous character appearance.

It's like "sci fi punk" and whatever your favorite genre or appearance is, is totally thematic for SC.

I know. I can't even recall what the military uniforms look like off the top of my head. Nothing distinguishing about it's look at all.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lammasu posted:

I know. I can't even recall what the military uniforms look like off the top of my head. Nothing distinguishing about it's look at all.

basically a mix of WWII military, TOPGUN, and a splash of 'scifi bits' thrown on it

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You could put Branson in his Space Admiral Dipshit costume into any SC screenshot and it would be no more out of place than anything else.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lammasu posted:

Speaking of Star Citizen cosplay why did that one guy have a plastic bag over his head?

quote:

Before the Fourth Stimpire conquered the remaining Nine Stimpires the technology to compel obedience was not yet perfected. Punishments were not yet perfect before the invention of eternators or the complete destruction of the Second Stimpire which held the secret of tripling pain, or the Ninth Stimpire which was responsible for understanding the physics of the worst kind of electricity. At this point offenders were commonly suffocated with plastic bags in front of only their close families, or other very inefficient ways.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lammasu posted:

Should have ordered a uniform design from Hugo Boss as a stretch goal.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pyromancer posted:

Should have ordered a uniform design from Hugo Boss as a stretch goal.

:iiasb: would throw it out because it wasn't up to his standards (or hugo would quit because he would redo shoelaces for two years)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

commando in tophat posted:

:iiasb: would throw it out because it wasn't up to his standards (or hugo would quit because he would redo shoelaces for two years)
Jackboots do not have shoelaces.

Anyway:
:reddit: My first day in Star Citizen

quote:

Hello! Elite refugee here. So I bought the Aurora pack and this is my first day:

Installation. Wow, this soundtrack is amazing! Listen while game downloads 55GB. Yes! Almost done. Wait, updating another 55GB??? Don't care. Listen to soundtrack.

Start game, get out of bed. Wow the toilet is amazing! I open all the drawers and the toilet bowl. Show my kids the toilet, "Kids this game has a toilet!"

Frames are choppy (Area 18). What if I change to windowed mode? Crash. Okay let's not do that again!

Let's kill claim jumpers! Awesome space combat, fly uncoupled mode, which is like elite dangerous FA-Off. Very very atmospheric.

What's this? The Young C. Hurston wants to give me a mission? Find my way around Hurston's subway system. Metro Central is not central business district, okay.

Get a mission to collect a safe from inside a complex. Fly there in Aurora and get shot up by AA. One wing missing and ship is rolling left... hurry crash land 1.3km away.

I hoof it to the complex, hearing the ground crunch under my feet as the desert evening turns to night. It's incredibly ATMOSPHERIC. Clearing the complex was scary AF. Finally got the safe and hoofing it back to the ship. Then 30000 disconnect.

Oh well, that was a fun time anyway! Love this game!

TLDR: the most fun I've had in a space sim ever.

toilet, choppy frames, crash, confusing subways, disconnect, BDSSE

what? what kind of thought process is this? maybe SC IS appealing to ED forumdads that were conditioned by ED to react to any tedium with Stockholm syndrome

Bonus:

https://v.redd.it/c178imygycd71/DASH_480.mp4

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

In crobbler's verse they have :colbert:

Also, first half of video is very relevant to thread title

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

You could put Branson in his Space Admiral Dipshit costume into any SC screenshot and it would be no more out of place than anything else.
In SC the poors can't afford helmets so they have air filled plastic bags on their heads. Deep lore.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dwesa posted:

what? what kind of thought process is this? maybe SC IS appealing to ED forumdads that were conditioned by ED to react to any tedium with Stockholm syndrome

Soynds like he is going down bullet points from a list as to which features he should praise. Completely unnatural flow to the whole post.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mirificus posted:

trapped in the bunk

good poo poo

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo Colostomy Bag you’re about to step up to the plate again.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Solarin posted:

good poo poo

I dunno the whole multiple tracks thing was kinda cringe

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Anyway:

And that's why Frontier should have ditched the FPS gameplay and just given proper space legs in ships to add immersion. I'm one of those players who would have bought Odyssey if I could have walked about in my Type-9, but have zero interest in a bad FPS game.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

Net Neutrality I speculate would make server meshing simplier, easier, and run more smoothly than other wise. On the other hand I speculate the lost of net neutrality would make server meshing more complicated, harder to do and to run.

In very broad generalities net neutrality is the status quo. However for the US whether it stays or go had been on a knive edge. It is still there currently but it could be only a temporary reprieve. If nothing changes EU seemed to be maintaining it for now.

I think CIG server meshing with its heavy burden of connectivity would be very dependent on net neutrality to maintain a large broad popular player base. Otherwise fragmentation would result in to small elitist groups, or else everything have to be dumb down similar to how WOW is dumb down to make it a broad popular genre.

Further evidence that citizens are complete rubes that will latch onto any tech-y sounding term and then start trying to integrate it into their conversations while having no idea what it means.

Also, I would discount that 'elite refugee' as a complete fabrication but there are some desperate weirdos in the elite community also so you never know.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Server meshing will be dependant on people's ability to accept cookies and conform to GDPR, until that happens the internet may be too drat fragmented for it to work.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
'everything have to be dumb down similar to how WOW is dumb down' he assuredly states, thumbs in his lapels, while stealthily swerving the fact that WoW has orders of magnitude more gameplay, systems and depth than his fav spcae game

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I have difficulty believing that anyone who has played Elite would praise SC no-clip flight model…

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I have difficulty believing that anyone who has played Elite would praise SC no-clip flight model…

Elite's flight model is the best thing it has going. i think i had the most fun just landing and taking off lol

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

yeah! To give the benefit of the doubt, I would say it's 50 / 50 between tedium lovers and astroturfers. Maybe that 20 / 80 rule...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

punishedkissinger posted:

Elite's flight model is the best thing it has going. i think i had the most fun just landing and taking off lol

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CuNsHK7D4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sound design in elite is just *mwah*
i actually enjoyed playing elite in VR.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the presentation and engine all work great, it looks and sounds great, hell even the space fights are decent. it's just so empty and lifeless. what a shame.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Server meshing will be dependant on people's ability to accept cookies and conform to GDPR, until that happens the internet may be too drat fragmented for it to work.

Fortunately you can fix that using a FIFO Np-complete blockchain

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

the presentation and engine all work great, it looks and sounds great, hell even the space fights are decent. it's just so empty and lifeless. what a shame.

Really wish they’d went with single player primarily with maybe co op blasting dudes in belts for cash, yeah :smith:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

it's just so empty and lifeless.
just like space :v:

but yeah, it's a shame

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Soynds like he is going down bullet points from a list as to which features he should praise. Completely unnatural flow to the whole post.

Anyone who can accomplish anything day 1 with those convoluted controls is obviously an astroturfing Citizen

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

elite is basically a flight simulator in space. it wasn't built around a foundation of fun gameplay and that shows. you can't really escape that trying to make it fun after the fact.

funny when citizens bash elite because sc has done the exact same thing, just with a foundation of art assets and chaotic mods to cryengine. it will probably be even harder to make fun because their engine has to be a fragile pile of poo poo and cr can't even play games.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyone got any sickening truths they know about?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I spent hours creeping around that backyard with a salt shaker trying to get close enough to shake some salt on one of their tails…

bawwwww :3

no_recall posted:

Procedural birds are in?

https://imgur.com/HLNoTWY

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anyone got any sickening truths they know about?

It's only a matter of time before the author of that piece sells Stimpire NFTs?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
ATMOSPHERIC

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

JugbandDude posted:

ATMOSPHERIC

argon tracking pays off once again!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/adirtyguntz/status/1419439525479305219

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Why, buy an Idris of course

marumaru
May 20, 2013

crows, unlike Citizens, understand the concept of zero (gameplay content)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Really wish they’d went with single player primarily with maybe co op blasting dudes in belts for cash, yeah :smith:

Can I recommend you: Everspace? It's good space combat on small arenas and has a story to complete it. If you want something some a bit more open, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw would be a good pick.
There's a space game for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Kikas posted:

There's a space game for everyone.

But there is only one BDSSE.