Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

withak posted:

They could just add an "I get this reference" button to each post.

What do you think an upvote means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Do they still do the thing where multiple commenters take turns quoting lyrics from a song? IMO that's worse than the bots

yeah god for real i hate those more than anything. More than the racism and garbage even.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

475 thousand times? How the what?

edit: oh okay https://www.reddit.com/r/TITWcommentdump/

Christ what a use of time. I wonder what Flat-Yogurtcloset293's life is like. I hope they're a teenager or something at least

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
edit: i felt bad posting this take

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

wa27 posted:

Reddit shouldn't allow site-wide bots. They're all worthless.

Counter-point: unit conversion bots rule

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Cannon_Fodder posted:

cant you just google the conversion

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Yellow Yoshi posted:

cant you just google the conversion

I could even call your mother and ask nicely. That's not the point.

Automation is for convenience and efficiency when used right.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Every bot on reddit sucks regardless of purpose because whenever they post, they're immediately followed by seventeen people commenting "good bot" which are followed by the bot-ranking bot posting to thank them for voting

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cannon_Fodder posted:

timezone conversion bots are really cool too, tho I don't know if reddit has them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The last page, condensed into one awful image.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

12 upvotes

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Would having redditors join SA and moderators probate them to de-condition reddit behavior add something to SA?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gay for gacha posted:

Would having redditors join SA and moderators probate them to de-condition reddit behavior add something to SA?

the gently caress?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

let's hear them out, maybe they can have it arranged

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
The reddit to kitty prison pipeline

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

the gently caress?

So hear me out. I love SA, I love to post. But presumably there is a reason why some people in this thread keep saying they go to some specific subforum on reddit, for some specific niche. I guess what I'm saying is how can you bring those niches here, so that people can still partake in that discussion without the uh reddit.

FYI: I don't use reddit, and any time I have tried I give up because of the nested comments, upvotes, and fart huffing. But because some goons are using it, I imagined it would be a cool experience for them to have those people here. And I want SA to last forever so if we had more signups etc, then it would.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gay for gacha posted:

So hear me out. I love SA, I love to post. But presumably there is a reason why some people in this thread keep saying they go to some specific subforum on reddit, for some specific niche. I guess what I'm saying is how can you bring those niches here, so that people can still partake in that discussion without the uh reddit.

FYI: I don't use reddit, and any time I have tried I give up because of the nested comments, upvotes, and fart huffing. But because some goons are using it, I imagined it would be a cool experience for them to have those people here. And I want SA to last forever so if we had more signups etc, then it would.

I dunno about anyone else, but I know my reddit uses are subjects where the upvote system is actually useful(getting tips for games and hobbies). The consistent problem is that the system and layout are terrible for conversation or discussion, and encourage super duper lovely posting outside of major effort posts.

SA is more about shitposting in a coherent way, and I think that would ultimately drive redditors away because their little gimmicks are laid bare when you don't have 1000 people making sure your stupid reference is the first thing people see

Or maybe its the weed talking.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gay for gacha posted:

Generally speaking, you go to a niche subreddit to mine for the one useful comment and ignore the other 99% of garbage. So yeah, if you can find a way to entice the 1% of redditors with actual useful input and discourage the 99% of shitheads commenting single lines of Bohemian Rhapsody one after another then I think you've cracked the Internet.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

gay for gacha posted:

Yes let us import the plague so that we may tame the plague

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

low key sex master posted:

Yes let us import the plague so that we may tame the plague

SA Sandbox Automation

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

At least Sprog poems take some level of creativity. The comment chains of lyrics or media quotes are the worst

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think I've said it here before how my impetus to leave Reddit was

A. The massive time sink
B. Being able to predict top comments and the number of reposts

The amount of unutilised time devoted to seeing the same joke over and over again is crazy

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

a pale ghost posted:

At least Sprog poems take some level of creativity. The comment chains of lyrics or media quotes are the worst

nah man sprog guy is the loving worst, gimme 100 white noise comment chains over that corny poo poo

look at r/chloe, like I guess there's some creativity there, but fuuuuck it's bad

what the gently caress is a sprog anyway

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

get me HQ! posted:

It's for your poem

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jestery posted:

I think I've said it here before how my impetus to leave Reddit was

A. The massive time sink
B. Being able to predict top comments and the number of reposts

The amount of unutilised time devoted to seeing the same joke over and over again is crazy

I have a reddit account because a lot of game communities are infinitely more active there than they are anywhere else so if you need a quick answer to a bug or mod conflict or whatever other resource for something google can't get you it can be pretty useful. But it's the only website I've seen where out of the blue someone will angrily respond to a comment I made two years ago, then work themselves into such a froth over it they then downvote every single post in my entire three year reddit post history; most of which are really banal tech video game and tabletop rpg support questions and answers. I never even know how they found that two year old post in the first place, but it happens a lot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

get me HQ! posted:

It's UK slang for 'child' but I dunno what it means on Reddit so that might not make things better.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Nuebot posted:

I have a reddit account because a lot of game communities are infinitely more active there than they are anywhere else so if you need a quick answer to a bug or mod conflict or whatever other resource for something google can't get you it can be pretty useful. But it's the only website I've seen where out of the blue someone will angrily respond to a comment I made two years ago, then work themselves into such a froth over it they then downvote every single post in my entire three year reddit post history; most of which are really banal tech video game and tabletop rpg support questions and answers. I never even know how they found that two year old post in the first place, but it happens a lot.

When searching google for game stuff, it’ll reliably return results of old-rear end Reddit posts for me. I should really get in on harassing people from the past, whom have the wrong opinions.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Nuebot posted:

What makes it infinitely more active? Just more people? I find that some threads I post in on SA are small, as in, maybe <10 people post in it, but I get responses same day, and discussions last for very long periods of time. What's it like on Reddit? I feel like the updoot system would bury your post pretty quickly as people switch over to the next top post. If it is amount of posters, is that really a benefit if, from what this thread says, it's a bunch of people just memeing and posting song lyrics, or agreeing with a top comment with nothing to add?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

gay for gacha posted:

What makes it infinitely more active? Just more people? I find that some threads I post in on SA are small, as in, maybe <10 people post in it, but I get responses same day, and discussions last for very long periods of time. What's it like on Reddit? I feel like the updoot system would bury your post pretty quickly as people switch over to the next top post. If it is amount of posters, is that really a benefit if, from what this thread says, it's a bunch of people just memeing and posting song lyrics, or agreeing with a top comment with nothing to add?
For me it's stuff like, let's say a new patch comes out for Final Fantasy XIV. During the next few days if I check the FFXIV subreddit it'll be very easy to quickly find stuff like, a checklist of where to find new things that got added, the patch notes, and more focused discussions about individual significant changes and additions. If I go to the SA thread it'll be buzzing with activity but a ton of that will be noise for me to sift through if I'm looking for anything specific.

It's not necessarily about being more active, or even me needing to post anything, it's just occasionally a really good way to sort currently relevant discussions/posts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

HopperUK posted:

It's UK slang for 'child' but I dunno what it means on Reddit so that might not make things better.

To clarify, I don't think I have ever seen someone use it unironically (or at all) because my god 'sprog' is possibly the ugliest sounding word on the planet :britain:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pvt.Scott posted:

When searching google for game stuff, it’ll reliably return results of old-rear end Reddit posts for me. I should really get in on harassing people from the past, whom have the wrong opinions.

It's sort of the new yahoo answers in terms of google hits, even beyond game-related stuff. Just about any question you'll get some dude asking it on reddit in your results.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bold Robot posted:

It's sort of the new yahoo answers in terms of google hits, even beyond game-related stuff. Just about any question you'll get some dude asking it on reddit in your results.

Every question is either on reddit or quora, and tbh reddit is more entertaining than quora

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

HopperUK posted:

It's UK slang for 'child' but

:aatrek:
:reddit:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reddit is great because google will show you 5 year old reddit posts of people asking the same question you're now googling for and also getting no answer.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

RFC2324 posted:

Every question is either on reddit or quora, and tbh reddit is more entertaining than quora

Quora is neat for some specific niches, since you'll randomly get old people with first-hand experience answering questions about what they worked on. I sort of lucked into being a top writer a few years ago (for having a couple of answers that ended up with a lot of views), but I couldn't really tell you why I spent the time. I guess the best I can offer is that it's sort of like Yahoo Answers but with actual moderation and some competent people? It's still a weird place full of fanboys, students cheating on homework questions, and obvious Chinese propaganda workers stirred in with opaque moderation, more opaque politics, and badly explained "paying people to post questions"-programs. I've basically left.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Time to check out the creative writing on r/twosentencehorror.

quote:

I was looking for my phone everywhere then I heard it ring from my bedroom.

But I looked down and saw the phone in my hands
THEN WHO WAS PHONE

quote:

Hands up and tell me where the drugs are?

Shouted the son as he raided his parent's basement for drugs as a DEA agent.

His parent's had been dealing cocaine for years and he just realised that today.

quote:

While I was heavily ill, my wife orchestrated illegal operation on my balls.

Every time I disagree with her, she pushes a button on remote to painfully zap my balls.

quote:

After what seemed like hours of pleasure, we both climaxed together.

Then in a sultry voice she whispered in my ear "I have AIDS"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Time to check out the creative writing on r/twosentencehorror.

quote:

While I was heavily ill, my wife orchestrated illegal operation on my balls.

Every time I disagree with her, she pushes a button on remote to painfully zap my balls.

Holy gently caress :hmbol:

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Divide by zero deez nutz

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gay for gacha posted:

reddit has like a thousand times more users than SA, which is never gonna happen here, largely because it tolerates and encourages unbelievably terrible posting, which we don't want to happen here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

reddit has like a thousand times more users than SA, which is never gonna happen here, largely because it tolerates and encourages unbelievably terrible posting, which we don't want to happen here

I mean you haven't been perma'd yet...