Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh my word that Merc and its completely hosed engine will keep me warm at night for quite some time.

Sort of intrigued by the few that seemed to go through at the right kind of speed (in that the water never seemed to reach the grille) but still died immediately afterwards though - one or two might have just been electrics being outraged by the introduction of water, but some of them looked completely hosed.

I'm a fan of the one where the little VW goes for it with gusto (and sinks) while the big Landy behind it sensibly stops at the water's edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

This is amazing, I had no idea this existed. MMBN is one of my favourite game series of all time. Thanks for posting it!
:same: I used to enjoy that game, even on emulator about 10 years back, never knew about the hypercompetative online scene although it makes perfect sense.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Off topic (or not given the current flooding going on), but do folks like to watch extremely stupid people break their cars in entirely avoidable circumstances?

I’ve recently learned of a wonderful YouTube channel that’s basically the U.K. version of 11 ft 8”. Except inverted and full of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2c1YVHn6Y
Makes me miss having an old shitey hilux where you could just do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEVJJC1JbM

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1418993907103412233

What is wrong with this country

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's been stuck in bourgeois vs. aristocracy since the 17th century, never having the material conditions to push further than that.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The modern aristocracy mostly just does Films, TV and Theatre these days, rather than anything to do with politics

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Off topic (or not given the current flooding going on), but do folks like to watch extremely stupid people break their cars in entirely avoidable circumstances?

I’ve recently learned of a wonderful YouTube channel that’s basically the U.K. version of 11 ft 8”. Except inverted and full of water.

I like the moving camera showing that there's clearly one or more people just standing there waiting for cars to cross so they can film them and laugh. much more personal touch than the 11foot8 videos

e: oh man and the ones where you can actually see the small crowd gathered there to watch the day's entertainment

Angepain fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 26, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well yes of course if you're adopted you're not posh :wtf:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

loving hell I'm seething now. 18th century classifications for an aristocracy doesn't matter. Is Boris an actual aristocrat? Beside the point. Is Pigfucker General? No, he's not Alec Douglas Home but there is still a ruling class who come from privilege that most people cannot imagine.

Really loving worthless lens to look at society through.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The modern aristocracy mostly just does Films, TV and Theatre these days, rather than anything to do with politics

The actual aristocracy has never really done politics in this country simply because they don't have to, society just bends to their whims. We're born tugging our forelocks - even after we had an actual, king-killing revolution, we let all the aristocracy keep all their poo poo, then quietly put his son on the throne a decade later like nothing had happened.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Angepain posted:

I like the moving camera showing that there's clearly one or more people just standing there waiting for cars to cross so they can film them and laugh. much more personal touch than the 11foot8 videos

You would think though upon approaching a ford with a high water level, a crowd of people watching and filming, and ducks swimming around, that might be a clue that you should find another way around.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh my word that Merc and its completely hosed engine will keep me warm at night for quite some time.

Sort of intrigued by the few that seemed to go through at the right kind of speed (in that the water never seemed to reach the grille) but still died immediately afterwards though - one or two might have just been electrics being outraged by the introduction of water, but some of them looked completely hosed.

It could be that the air intake is mounted in a very low position, or perhaps if the seals and gaskets are aged and deteriorating there could be water getting into the gearbox/crankcase/differential/etc.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lord Ludikrous posted:

You would think though upon approaching a ford with a high water level, a crowd of people watching and filming, and ducks swimming around, that might be a clue that you should find another way around.

no no no don't be silly, they're just there to watch all the other drivers. the bad drivers. the ones who aren't as brilliant as driving as you are. time to show them what's what

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

All members of the Tory party who actually become a member of parliament are to visit Madame Guillotine for a special 20% discount off the top. :feelsgood:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Classes are just aesthetics that people choose, says man who has that choice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

we let all the aristocracy keep all their poo poo
Old English aristocracy in Ireland got their lands taken and replaced with equivalent (non-equivalent) land in Connaught. According to the letter of the law it should have been up to the tenants whether they followed them or remained on Crown lands, but nobody ever actually bothered to tell the tenants. It went poorly.

Some of the Catholic Lords in England just got set on fire instead, which all in all went a lot better.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The actual aristocracy has never really done politics in this country simply because they don't have to, society just bends to their whims. We're born tugging our forelocks - even after we had an actual, king-killing revolution, we let all the aristocracy keep all their poo poo, then quietly put his son on the throne a decade later like nothing had happened.

I get to watch whoever is the current ruler of the Dukeries take off in his helicopter from the stately home in the middle of the estate of the county he has generously let the serfs live in.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I like the ones that just totally ignore the already stricken silver car abandoned in the ford.

I once saw a family bailing out a Fiesta just out of our local ford. Unlike the Rufford one, there's actually a perfectly good road bridge - the ford is just for vehicles which are too big or heavy for the bridge.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I was mostly driven mad by the national political discourse being centred on a conversation between Dom Cummings and Dom Joly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It could be that the air intake is mounted in a very low position, or perhaps if the seals and gaskets are aged and deteriorating there could be water getting into the gearbox/crankcase/differential/etc.

Water in the crankcase in sufficient quantities might* kill an engine but you'd need a hole in it big enough that you've got other, much bigger problems. Water in the oil is a "This is going to be a problem eventually" kind of thing, but again unless you've got a hole big enough that all the oil has already come out then it's pretty unlikely it's going to kill an engine immediately.

Thinking about gaskets though - it's not impossible that the sudden thermal shock might be enough to warp the block - much more likely with an air-cooled engine of course, but I could see that causing enough distortion to let coolant into the cylinder, which would explain the big clouds of smoke and nasty piston-scoring noises that some of them were making.

* Completely filling the crankcase with water would obliterate a single, a split-pin v-twin or one of the weirder firing order triples or 4s, but for almost every other engine configuration the actual volume under the pistons stays pretty much constant - obviously the turbulence and resistance might cause problems (especially for flat engines) but even then that's a "blow up miles away" kind of problem.

Before anyone "Well actually..."s me about crankcase breathers, they're generally only a very small hole, and also normally connected to the airbox - water getting to them in sufficient problems to kill the engine will obliterate the top end and/or conrod(s) via hydro-locking** long before that.

** For the non-mechanically inclined, what's killing most of these engines is hydraulic locking. Your internal combustion engine works by squeezing a fuel-air mixture - if you get something incompressible like water in there instead then very, very bad things happen very very quickly because the pressure of the piston coming up (driven of course by the rest of the engine) has nowhere to go. If you're *incredibly* lucky the spark plug or a valve seat (both above the piston) will fail first like a safety valve, leaving you with only a few hundred quids worth of labour. Much more likely the pressure will either crack the top end of the engine or bend the connecting rod that connects the piston (the up-and-down bit) to the crankcase (the round-and-round bit). While theoretically repairable that's basically new engine time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
rufford ford is one of my toddler nephews go to calm down youtubes. Just sits there predicting yes,no oh oh , no oh oh yes... with almost perfect accuracy

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Some of the Catholic Lords in England just got set on fire instead, which all in all went a lot better.

Henry VIII was revolutionary in that he nationalised the local assets of a global corporation that had a monopoly before this change. Change my mind.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

knox_harrington posted:

Are you posh?

- Yes
- No
- I'm adopted

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Azza Bamboo posted:

Henry VIII was revolutionary in that he nationalised the local assets of a global corporation that had a monopoly before this change. Change my mind.

He did it so he could ditch his wife which is fairly Tory

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Many years ago, our car ran through a deepish but not especially huge puddle on an A-road and ran into immediate trouble afterwards because the water pressure had actually pulled a chunk off the bottom of the vehicle and left it dragging along the road. Wonder if something similar happened to one or two of those cars?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Azza Bamboo posted:

He didn't nationalize them, he privatized them. They all went to rich gits.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/licks finger, rubs [Z] and [X] print off Speccy rubber keyboard

edit even more niche

/puts bottom half of 'cheeky chick' prize egg over knuckle, rubs sprint buttons on Track & Field arcade machine so fast they start making new cabinet buttons with collars on just to stop it.

Produces empty 200 ml Cresta bottle. Covers it in saliva for 'speed lube' and destroys the competition.

gets banned from arcade when saliva eventually corrodes button connections.

(yeah those v2 buttons were a bummer)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

serious gaylord posted:

Also this is a spectacular own goal already given the poo poo Labour HQ have pulled last week.

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1419401878048280576

To be fair she's just following in the deputy leader tradition that T.Watson laid down.

minema
May 31, 2011
Mental health breakdown Friday and food poisoning Sunday and reading that Dom Cummings tweet is still worse than my weekend was

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bobstar posted:

Are you posh?

- Yes
- No
- I'm scottish

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

He did it so he could ditch his wife which is fairly Tory
His historical status as 'Britain's first / most divorced man' also secures him a decent place.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

His historical status as 'Britain's first / most divorced man' also secures him a decent place.

Lawrence Fox has of course taken the latter title from him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the last news story on itv news one day last week was britain's longest serving lollypop lady

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Do they think if they go fast enough they can outrun the water or something?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Why car stop when get wet?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I’ve finally figured out why brexit is going wrong.

See, remainers ran around saying it was financially impossible. Turns out it was true - going by mortal man’s financial rules. A fairy was going to plant and tend a Magic Money Tree that would have solved all these problems. There would have been food beyond compare for those who truly believed.

BUT

the perfidious Left never believed. As a result the fairy died. The believers tried so hard, they even got the populace to clap for the fairy under the guise of clapping for the NHS, but it was for naught.

We are doomed. Perhaps I’ll become a pirate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

You gotta show dominance otherwise the water will smell weakness

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If you have a vehicle with the engine at the back and the air intake up on the side then you can if you make a big enough bow wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvq-q56AhNQ

None of those vehicles were that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Love the guy at 2:20 who turns his van into a boat and just sails past flicking his cig into the water. What a stupid oval office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't remember if i ever even covered how to ford a river because I have no idea where the nearest one to me would be, but I was under the impression that you are supposed to do it slowly. And also check the depth marker first.

Also if there are people hanging out looking for an excuse to film you that's probably a hint too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
sadly i think the mentality required to see a body of water of unfathomable depth and set about plunging a car into it so it becomes buoyant is not that uncommon