Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BC's response was just sheer arrogance from the start propped up by an unwarranted sloppy blowjob from CNN using a Canadian health response to poo poo on Trump. It went to their heads because, apart from Yukon, they were surrounded on all sides by idiots digging their own graves with lovely health measures. Truly, BC lived up to the "mediocre but slightly better than our neighbors so long as you don't look in the closet" ideal Canada strives to embody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Goosed it. posted:

I know Pallister is terrible but has Manitoba hosed-up the basics, like masks, so willfully?

I don't recall the specifics on mask mandates, but I do remember that they would always drag their heels on implementing any provincial health mandates while blaming people for not following the "suggestions".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Once we had mask mandates we had barely any enforcement in MB, including flagrant violations by the religious community that were ignored despite publicly viewable photo and video evidence.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand you arrested Maxime Bernier, so it's kind of a wash.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

Money alone can't make up for the harms done by lockdowns and restrictions. We had the chance to do things properly, and we decided not to.

It sure builds confidence in our ability to effectively manage the situation when runaway effects of changing climate becomes the proximate cause for restrictions on movement and consumption.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Right Said Fred are greatly displeased by vaccinated and unvaccinated lineups at YVR.

https://twitter.com/TheFreds/status/1418324993642016775?s=20

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/right_said_fred_are_mad_at_the_vancouver_airport_over_separate_vaccination_lines

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guest2553 posted:

It sure builds confidence in our ability to effectively manage the situation when runaway effects of changing climate becomes the proximate cause for restrictions on movement and consumption.

It's actually a very similar problem, in that people are going to get very frustrated when they are told they must do a bunch of piddly little poo poo that won't actually fix the problem, as the government does nothing to actually control the emissions of industrial polluters.

I don't have a problem with doing my part, but I very much have a problem with being asked to do more than my part when those with the power to actually direct policy and make large-scale changes sit on their hands and shrug.

What is the causal relationship between being a worthless has-been and turning into a reactionary piece of poo poo? It seems like a bunch of washed up old musicians whose last notable work is now old enough to drink have the anti-vaxx brainworms.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Got my 2nd Pfizer.
It doesn't make me feel any better because I think vaccine hesitancy in places like the US will breed a mutation that bypasses the vaccine. I think a variant pandemic will put us right back where we started in 2020 with COVID. I'm starting to wonder if Ebola was transmissible the way Covid was if people would take it more seriously.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

I flew into Pearson recently and was shocked at how strict the measures were (in a good way).

Separating of vaccinated and unvaccinated, and then probably checked my pre-flight test results, vaccination card, and passport like 15 times total over the course of going through customs and making my way to the UP express. This compared to the American airports I had to go to.... I mean you can't even compare them.

I was frustrated at first how slow Canada was at reopening, but after seeing what's happening in the UK, I'm happy we are being slow. I would even say slower might be better?

Finally, pissed off that universities are pushing for full reopening in the Fall. gently caress off and let me take my courses online.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol O'Toole was out in St. John's raising a big fuss over how Trudeau has divided the country and how he let Newfoundland down. Also a lot of rambling about his military service.

He talked for a grand total of 13 minutes before people got bored and stopped asking him questions.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Got my second Pfizer from the northern health vax van. I've been stuck in camp near Fort St. John for weeks and figured I'd have to wait until I was home, but the vax van was open 5-8pm on a Saturday.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PT6A posted:

What is the causal relationship between being a worthless has-been and turning into a reactionary piece of poo poo? It seems like a bunch of washed up old musicians whose last notable work is now old enough to drink have the anti-vaxx brainworms.

Well that's easy: when you're a has-been you often have a slightly elevated social media presence that nobody cares about until you act out like a child. If your uncle from Hamilton posts to twitter that he's mad about vaccines nobody cares but it's funny when somebody dunks on the "I'm too sexy" guys or the "making copies!" guy when they do the same.

TLDR - don't underestimate celebrity culture, especially when everybody has a platform now

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kraftwerk posted:

Got my 2nd Pfizer.
It doesn't make me feel any better because I think vaccine hesitancy in places like the US will breed a mutation that bypasses the vaccine. I think a variant pandemic will put us right back where we started in 2020 with COVID. I'm starting to wonder if Ebola was transmissible the way Covid was if people would take it more seriously.

The next variant is probably going to come from a poor country with no vaccines. Also isn't the whole thing with COVID that the spike protein is what makes it so transmissible but also what we're essentially vaccinated against with the mRNA vaccines?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

There's money in the alt-right stan

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tsyni posted:

Got my second Pfizer from the northern health vax van. I've been stuck in camp near Fort St. John for weeks and figured I'd have to wait until I was home, but the vax van was open 5-8pm on a Saturday.

That's awesome that they brought it to you. I keep catching myself thinking "well there's drop-in clinics in the city during working hours, why aren't people taking advantage???" and remembering, yeah, that's not actually "available" for everyone.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The only people I’ve seen in BC participate in the Dr. Henry technocrat hero worship were universally work from homers with no children, or retired people whose children worked from home.

These same people seemed to have an extremely limited understanding of how BC was making GBS threads the bed with contact tracing, how data was shaped to show no transmission in schools, how BC is the least transparent with its data, how no asymptomatic testing was occurring and the absolutely inexcusable reluctance to impose a mask mandate.

They even seemed surprised to learn this summer that school was in fact not online and we were teaching 100% in person to students who for the majority of the year I was not allowed to ask to wear a mask in class, but instead only to “create a classroom culture of mask wearing “ (gently caress that I told the parents at the beginning of the year they would be wearing them at all times and to reach out if they had concerns and all were actually relieved).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ARACHTION posted:

The only people I’ve seen in BC participate in the Dr. Henry technocrat hero worship

I read this and thought, "Morgenthaler"?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rumor mill is the writ drops in mid-august.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Die for capital, just like the rest of us, eventually.

I miss the old days of dying for Bush's oil profits.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rumor mill is the writ drops in mid-august.

Fourth wave voting, here we come!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Fourth wave voting, here we come!

If I have to choose between getting covid or getting conservatives Im taking covid every time.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The LIbs must smell O'Toole's blood in the water.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

The LIbs must smell O'Toole's blood in the water.

Blood? I thought he was a giant bag of spoiled milk in human form

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tochiazuma posted:

You ever prick your thumb and it stings for a little bit but there's not much blood and then you go about the rest of your day like nothing significant happened?

That's Erin O'Toole; he's a human thumb and worth about as much attention.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tochiazuma posted:

That was Scheer. O'Toole is more of a living suit that consumed a human but accidentally stopped half way though the process.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

That was Scheer. O'Toole is more of a living suit that consumed a human but accidentally stopped half way though the process.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ARACHTION posted:

“create a classroom culture of mask wearing “

Amazing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
why does todd packer want to be prime minister

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

ARACHTION posted:

The only people I’ve seen in BC participate in the Dr. Henry technocrat hero worship were universally work from homers with no children, or retired people whose children worked from home.

I used to have faith, cause there was none anywhere else. Watching the updates got me through the first two months of isolation. But then they started being condescending, and then loving the numbers, and then Horgan won the majority and the mask completely fell off.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want the Liberals in charge, but I wouldn’t say no to kicking Premier Boomer in the balls either.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I think the reason I find him off putting is his eyes don’t seem to focus on anything. Like there’s a soul of a real person inside that’s horrified at everything around it but is merely a passenger watching himself be the leader of the CPC

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I think the reason I find him off putting is his eyes don’t seem to focus on anything. Like there’s a soul of a real person inside that’s horrified at everything around it but is merely a passenger watching himself be the leader of the CPC

If Scheer was wallpaper paste, O'Toole is the bucket.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What does that make Kenney? The roller?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

What does that make Kenney? The roller?

The stir stick.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

I don't have a problem with doing my part, but I very much have a problem with being asked to do more than my part when those with the power to actually direct policy and make large-scale changes sit on their hands and shrug.

Agreed, and for what it's worth I wasn't trying to throw shade your way. As I recall, the science behind greenhouse gasses and their potential effect on climate was known and generally accepted in the late 19th/early 20th century so it's no more of a surprise than, saying, the western world's treatment of indigenous populations to anyone paying the scantest of attention.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arivia posted:

The stir dipstick.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I can't believe this man is actually younger than Justin Trudeau :negative:

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
He is a potato with teeth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guest2553 posted:

Agreed, and for what it's worth I wasn't trying to throw shade your way. As I recall, the science behind greenhouse gasses and their potential effect on climate was known and generally accepted in the late 19th/early 20th century so it's no more of a surprise than, saying, the western world's treatment of indigenous populations to anyone paying the scantest of attention.

Yeah, I didn't take any offense, I just wanted to be clear about why I said that. This cult of personal responsibility is bullshit, whether it's COVID or climate change or billionaire philanthropy. Some things can only be achieved through collective action and we need to stop wishing we can solve problems through enough people doing the right thing on their own.

Should Jeff Bezos give more money to charity? Honestly, no. He shouldn't. Why should he be the one billionaire in the public eye who has to give away his money? Every billionaire should be forcibly divested of a huge chunk of their money, a great deal more than he's given to charity so far, whether it's some guy in the public eye who flew into space in a giant phallus or some rich rear end in a top hat I've never heard of and no one cares about.

We can't rely on the moral behaviour of individuals, because it will simply never work, even if a certain number of people do actually give a poo poo and do the right thing. By not creating policy which insists people do the right thing, the government has completely failed in its most important responsibility, which is to get everyone onside to do poo poo they don't individually want to do for the common good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

saints gambit posted:

He is a potato with teeth.

One that's been left a bit long and has started going green just under the skin, and is perhaps about to sprout a few things from all over.

He goes in the compost bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The governor-generalship is an inconsequential sinecure, change my mind.

What actually changes policy-wise for native people in Canada with a native woman getting the rubber-stamping ribbon-cutting job vs some white guy?