Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gort posted:

Man, my group didn't even do every mission in Gloomhaven or Jaws of the Lion. What are the major differences between Gloomhaven and Frosthaven, anyway?

Frosthaven's trying to flesh out the campaign side of things (which was GH's weakest area mechanically). More choices in the town, crafting items from the scenario, improvements to the event deck, better structured PQs, that kind of thing.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My big complaint in Gloomhaven was how little choice in the main story there was. I think we had one, "Be good or bad" choice in the main questline and that was it.

The big complaint in Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is that not only are there no choices in the main story (so far), but the writing portrays the party as a bunch of murderhobo psychopaths.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My biggest complaint about Gloomhaven was also story-related, but it was more just that, because you could dart between missions, we'd totally lose track of why we were doing anything, or what the consequences might be. We didn't even realise when we were on the final mission. It was also really difficult to go back and look at the missions you'd completed, to get a sense of it. If you left it a week between sessions, all you had to go on were the stickers on the board, and often there would be 4 or 5 open missions, with no way to know what they relate to.

The fact that the road / town cards were almost entirely arbitrary (we got a sense of how to 'game' them and get the good result based on the writing style, much more than solving any riddle, which felt pretty poo poo) just adds to the lack of player agency you mention Gort.

I think if it didn't have the unlockable characters, it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

!Klams posted:

I think if it didn't have the unlockable characters, it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Maybe, Jaws is pretty popular though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jaws is definitely a step up in the game setup department. It's great not having to assemble the map before you play.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe, Jaws is pretty popular though.

I think that's somewhat piggybacking on GH's success though.

Like, the moment-to-moment gameplay is exactly the same for all 9 million hours. There are about 4 quests that aren't just 'kill all of the things here, one room at a time'. Not many quests actually do anything fancy with 'kill all the things, one room at a time' format, either. And like, that's fine, I'm not really actually ragging on the game here because that moment-to-moment gameplay is actually great.

I just think since it's all so deterministic, it also NEEDS the juicy bulbs of the totally unknown from the unlocks to feel complete. It's like eating a HUGE plate of spaghetti.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gort posted:

My big complaint in Gloomhaven was how little choice in the main story there was. I think we had one, "Be good or bad" choice in the main questline and that was it.

The big complaint in Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is that not only are there no choices in the main story (so far), but the writing portrays the party as a bunch of murderhobo psychopaths.

Wait what's wrong with the party being a bunch of murderhobo psychopaths? Have you not played Mage Knight?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

!Klams posted:

My biggest complaint about Gloomhaven was also story-related, but it was more just that, because you could dart between missions, we'd totally lose track of why we were doing anything, or what the consequences might be. We didn't even realise when we were on the final mission. It was also really difficult to go back and look at the missions you'd completed, to get a sense of it. If you left it a week between sessions, all you had to go on were the stickers on the board, and often there would be 4 or 5 open missions, with no way to know what they relate to.

The fact that the road / town cards were almost entirely arbitrary (we got a sense of how to 'game' them and get the good result based on the writing style, much more than solving any riddle, which felt pretty poo poo) just adds to the lack of player agency you mention Gort.

This is where my group is at with Gloomhaven. We ended up picking our last mission because we knew it would unlock the ability to put stickers on cards and that was the only context we had for the decision after a prolonged break due to people being pinged and isolating. It's interesting to see the thread transition from recommending Gloomhaven regardless of the game type being requested to this. I still think the turn by turn gameplay is interesting and fun, which is for the best really because in our last session somebody asked what the mission was because we hadn't bothered to check since we all just assumed it was "kill everything" (and it was).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Wait what's wrong with the party being a bunch of murderhobo psychopaths? Have you not played Mage Knight?

My group and I aren't into it. Nope, never played Mage Knight, but I did play the original Gloomhaven and don't recall it being quite so massacre-happy as Jaws is.

Redundant posted:

This is where my group is at with Gloomhaven. We ended up picking our last mission because we knew it would unlock the ability to put stickers on cards and that was the only context we had for the decision after a prolonged break due to people being pinged and isolating. It's interesting to see the thread transition from recommending Gloomhaven regardless of the game type being requested to this. I still think the turn by turn gameplay is interesting and fun, which is for the best really because in our last session somebody asked what the mission was because we hadn't bothered to check since we all just assumed it was "kill everything" (and it was).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do like Gloomhaven - it blows away every other dungeon crawler boardgame by a long chalk in terms of actual meaningful gameplay choices. Most other dungeon crawlers your turn-to-turn choice is just, "Where do I move and which enemy do I attack" and everything else is just mechanics that automatically happen as long as you remember you have them.

It's just that compared to the mechanics of dungeon crawling the story stuff is a bit on the thin side. I was hoping for a full on choose-your-own-adventure book with "If you choose to go with the druid turn to page 63" stuff like when I was a kid. I'd say there's plenty of scenarios in the box to facilitate a bit of plot choice (which would necessitate not doing some scenarios).

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 26, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gloomhaven was way too much game for me, but Jaws got it right imo. I can see being turned off by the tone, but being able to just pull it out and actually play in a reasonable time frame instead of laboriously setting everything up makes such a huge difference. When I see how much poo poo is in Frosthaven, of course it makes me go 'oh that's so cool!' on some level and kind of wish I'd backed it, but on a more rational level it helps me know I made the right choice to steer clear. I'm sure there will be some kind of Jaws 2 someday, so I'll just wait for that and maybe play a digital version of Frosthaven at some point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't think I'll be starting Frosthaven until I have a core group on lock + covid has settled the gently caress down so there won't be any downtime.

For fans of Jaws of the Lion please take a look at Roll Player Adventures which looks like will fill a similar niche.
Honestly if I had a partner atm I would probably late pledge for this, cause it's entirely my jam.

Gort posted:

Man, my group didn't even do every mission in Gloomhaven or Jaws of the Lion. What are the major differences between Gloomhaven and Frosthaven, anyway?

There seems to be an absolute ton of forethought going into Frosthaven. From better story missions, a more interactive town, increasing player agency, etc.

Not sure if this is backer only, but here's a really good post about explaining improvements to the narrative.
The comments sections gets super grognard.txt tho.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gort posted:

What are the major differences between Gloomhaven and Frosthaven, anyway?

Snow

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

Frosthaven has a lot more branches of the storyline. No matter what you're still trying to turn an outpost into a prosperous town, but there's a lot more than "be nice or mean."

And yeah, the campaign part and story have been a major focus of development and of my free time for the past few months :v:.

It's gonna be a lot of game, absolutely. It was kickstarted as excess, and it'll be that. That's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I personally think it's massively improved over GH, though, in every aspect except "being smaller and easier to manage" and "good for new Gloomhaven players."

Infinitum posted:

There seems to be an absolute ton of forethought going into Frosthaven. From better story missions, a more interactive town, increasing player agency, etc.

Not sure if this is backer only, but here's a really good post about explaining improvements to the narrative.
The comments sections gets super grognard.txt tho.
Yeah, it's made a great difference. And I'm really glad Isaac did it, because everything that has come out is it has been awesome.

Also that made a lot of lovely people extremely mad online and that's worth it in and of itself.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frosthaven is bigger than Ben Hur, and that is 100% why I backed it. Just a huge loving campaign I can tackle with people over an extended period of time.

dwarf74 posted:

Also that made a lot of lovely people extremely mad online and that's worth it in and of itself.

The amount of salt in that comment section alone is :discourse:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Frosthaven is bigger than Ben Hur, and that is 100% why I backed it. Just a huge loving campaign I can tackle with people over an extended period of time.

The amount of salt in that comment section alone is :discourse:

I saw the number of comments the morning after he posted it (which was during my night time, IIRC) and did not even click.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of Mage Knight, over the weekend I found a good TTS module and put together a 3 player Volkare game. Even with the ease afforded by the scripted module the game still took north of 5 hours to play but was *excellent* the entire time. Fewer things are more satisfying than blasting 8 monsters into oblivion simultaneously during the final Volkare showdown.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gort posted:

What are the major differences between Gloomhaven and Frosthaven, anyway?

A design weekend that turned into a coke fueled bender it seems

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

gschmidl posted:

I saw the number of comments the morning after he posted it (which was during my night time, IIRC) and did not even click.

The super duper frustrating thing about the comments, is that, essentially what this guy is doing, is just making the story better. The vector he's approaching that from is from a diversity and cultural sensitivity angle, sure. But the goal isn't actually "make it more woke". That's actually legit just a strong side effect of "making the story better and richer". It's something any decent writer should be trying to do to make their story better by having more multi dimensional, believable and interesting characters.

There's actually NOTHING to dislike about it, unless you'd be upset with less racism in your game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

There's actually NOTHING to dislike about it, unless you'd be upset with less racism in your game.

:sigh: unfortunately that seems to be what chuds are.

(I did read the (very good) post by Cephalofair, just not the comments)

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 26, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Volllkaaaarrreee, Oh oh oh oh, Cantare, oh oh oh oh.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

!Klams posted:

The comment I have seen several times, including IRL, is "I just hope he didn't take out something good." I don't see a way to say that without the very strong inference that you don't think racism in games is much of a downside (i.e., you believe that a bit of game writing or design could be racist and still be "good"). You might not be upset with less racism in your game if the parts cut were not "good," but since we're largely talking about people who like gaming "the way it was," well, there's a lot of overlap.

I tried to think of Inox lore he could have put in place of the Inox essentialism that was worse than Inox racism to try to see it "their way." Everything I could think of was cartoonishly horrible and/or not actually worse than Inox racism.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

!Klams posted:

Yep. Defintely. We had a game where we needed I think 6 clues on the old one, and 13 doom would kill us. We had 5 clues and 1 doom on one turn, then the mythos phase hit us for 7 doom, and it was just like, oh, ok, if that happens again we just lose? And then we had a great round where we all did awesome stuff, but it came to the mythos round and it put us to 12 doom, and then gave a dude two clues, but he had a thing that said 'if that happens take a doom'.

So we essentially played 'perfectly' for however many turns straight, but on the last two, the game just told us to get hosed.

I FULLY appreciate Arkham games being horrid and hard, and that's cool, but when you're actually doing well, and have collaborated well, and been rewarded, and then just randomly lose on a dice roll anyway, it feels super poo poo. Like, you 'almost' want to go, "Well lets just not do that because it's too harsh" but then, you have to, because, that IS the game, and if you strip that aspect out, then... you can't lose? Feels bad.

I don't agree with this, the risk in Arkham is very manageable imo. Yeah, the mythos phase can wreck you, but you know how many of each kind of token is in there, and how many turns it takes to pull the entire set. So you have to think of it in terms like, ok, in the next 3 turns, we're going to draw 2 monsters, 3 doom, 1 anomaly, we need to prepare for that. As long as you have 1 good murderhead and one doom vacuum on the team and pay at least some attention to maximising your actions each turn, you have a good chance of winning any scenario.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
I think the majority of it is not so much explicit racism (I did not dig into the comments and do not care to find out about actual board game nazis, don’t @ me) but your typical nerd entitlement. Just a knee jerk reaction to any implication that their chosen genre might have issues and by extension that their own thought patterns might warrant some examination.

E: I played a good few sessions of Gloomhaven on TTS when the lockdown first hit. I admire the scope and the blending of dungeon crawling with a Euro action economy is very impressive, but we burned out on it. The gameplay loop was ultimately quite repetitive, progression quite slow and the RPG aspects not strong enough. We moved on to playing a mix of fairly heavy board games plus actual narrative-driven RPG and I haven’t looked back.

DashingGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 26, 2021

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Koskinator posted:

Heard good things about Aeon’s End Legacy, if you’re into deck building.
I had already had vanilla Aeon's End recommended to me as a co-op earlier in this thread and my wife was interested in a non-Pandemic legacy game, and I misremembered this post as a definitive recommendation, so we took the plunge this weekend on Aeon's End Legacy. We have found it quite enjoyable and tense so far (3 scenarios into it). I do wonder if the gameplay will become too repetitive, but we'll see. Best of all, it scratches my deckbuilder itch.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Isaac Childres posted:

I would encourage you to simply reach out to [support] and request a full refund if you feel strongly enough about it. We've already done that for a couple people who didn't think black lives matter, and we'd be happy to do it again for people who don't think board games should be a safe space for everyone.

I love this line, wonderfully blunt.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

rchandra posted:

I love this line, wonderfully blunt.
Some dipshit nu-gamergaters made entire hour long videos full of outrage over bad-faith misreadings of that single line.

It was.... Well, "remarkable" is not the right word since it was totally predictable, but... Sad? Yeah, sad.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dwarf74 posted:

Some dipshit nu-gamergaters made entire hour long videos full of outrage over bad-faith misreadings of that single line.

It was.... Well, "remarkable" is not the right word since it was totally predictable, but... Sad? Yeah, sad.

:thermidor:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got a second game of Sidereal Confluence in on the weekend at 6p. The good part is that everyone had a great time and by the second round or so things were MOVING and everyone had figured it out and there was some good hustling going on. The bad part is that the set up and rules explanation was so atrocious I think I had forgotten how painful it was the first time we played. Even funnier was that with six players the table footprint was on a hilarious level that almost seemed like a parody of sprawling absurd board games. One guy was just holding onto the researched techs in a pile and putting them down as he needed them there was so little room and this was after I went and added a leaf to our dining table.

It's a tremendously fun game but my God does it consume space (pun sort of intended) and hurt to set-up and teach after taking a six month break.

I played Unity and enjoyed them but stalled out mid-game. I think I should have been hustling more with my wild cubes. Would play them again though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Got a second game of Sidereal Confluence in on the weekend at 6p. The good part is that everyone had a great time and by the second round or so things were MOVING and everyone had figured it out and there was some good hustling going on. The bad part is that the set up and rules explanation was so atrocious I think I had forgotten how painful it was the first time we played. Even funnier was that with six players the table footprint was on a hilarious level that almost seemed like a parody of sprawling absurd board games. One guy was just holding onto the researched techs in a pile and putting them down as he needed them there was so little room and this was after I went and added a leaf to our dining table.

It's a tremendously fun game but my God does it consume space (pun sort of intended) and hurt to set-up and teach after taking a six month break.

I played Unity and enjoyed them but stalled out mid-game. I think I should have been hustling more with my wild cubes. Would play them again though.

I love Sidereal Confluence and never get to play it...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
buddy is moving across the country soon and tonight is our last night to try and clear the last four months of pandemic legacy. Wish us luck, goons.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Admiralty Flag posted:

I had already had vanilla Aeon's End recommended to me as a co-op earlier in this thread and my wife was interested in a non-Pandemic legacy game, and I misremembered this post as a definitive recommendation, so we took the plunge this weekend on Aeon's End Legacy. We have found it quite enjoyable and tense so far (3 scenarios into it). I do wonder if the gameplay will become too repetitive, but we'll see. Best of all, it scratches my deckbuilder itch.

I picked it up for my wife and I sometime last year (and I'm sure the post is still in this thread,) and while we burned through 4 or 5 of the scenarios, we eventually just... kinda forgot about it. It was fun but I remember it feeling pretty simple, strategy-wise, and we'd never messed with normal Aeon's End so the story felt pretty generic and pulpy.

It was our first legacy game, but the gameplay loop just didn't keep hold on us. It's been long enough I really couldn't tell you why.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks does anyone know of an app that will analyze your BGG collection and let you know when resale on BGG prices are over a certain amount? I'm flipping games at the moment but going through nearly 200 of them to figure out what's what is kinda tedious.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks does anyone know of an app that will analyze your BGG collection and let you know when resale on BGG prices are over a certain amount? I'm flipping games at the moment but going through nearly 200 of them to figure out what's what is kinda tedious.

https://geekgroup.app

has a trending section in the Insights -> Worth tab that might be insightful for narrowing down the list. that's the closest I've found so far.

https://geekgroup.app/users/malloreon/insights/collection/worth - the page for my collection.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

https://geekgroup.app

has a trending section in the Insights -> Worth tab that might be insightful for narrowing down the list. that's the closest I've found so far.

https://geekgroup.app/users/malloreon/insights/collection/worth - the page for my collection.

SUPER helpful, thanks so much!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wow, I like that a lot more than the other webtool I had bookmarked

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeeeeeah, that tool is excellent. Now I see a weekend day in my future where I update my BGG "owned" list comprehensively for the first time in... 15 years.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

SUPER helpful, thanks so much!

djfooboo posted:

Wow, I like that a lot more than the other webtool I had bookmarked

Memnaelar posted:

Yeeeeeah, that tool is excellent. Now I see a weekend day in my future where I update my BGG "owned" list comprehensively for the first time in... 15 years.

I'm glad y'all like it, I don't remember where I found it, but it's been a game changer for organizing my collection.

I especially appreciate the automatically updating lists. I also keep lists of games by weight to bring to different meetups.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is pretty cool but some of the nesting is very weird. Why is there Dominion with 0 expansions, and Dominion: Intrigue with everything else nested under it?

Also is there a way to nest multiple items at once?

I also seem to be too dumb to add/remove status like "for trade" et al.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2021

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

The best feature on geekgroup.app is filtering by player counts. Having a three player game night? Filter for best at three players. What games in your collection will accommodate 6 players, and not just barely? Filter recommended at 6p and bump the Not Recommended % up to 15% so that you’re not getting games that barely play well at 6p. You can even send a filtered link to your group - pick a game from this list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Breadnought posted:

The best feature on geekgroup.app is filtering by player counts. Having a three player game night? Filter for best at three players. What games in your collection will accommodate 6 players, and not just barely? Filter recommended at 6p and bump the Not Recommended % up to 15% so that you’re not getting games that barely play well at 6p. You can even send a filtered link to your group - pick a game from this list!

best with player count is literally the reason I started using geek group. before that it was all updating notes files on my phone every couple months.