Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

moths posted:

This leaves out the cool City Guard and the divisive zombies and all the undead wildlife! And somehow still costs 60% of Cursed City without the game.

I still think the dumbest poo poo is forcing you to take ALL of them at once, thus taking up like 3 Leader spots. I wish I could just take like, some of the Vyrkos and maybe Goreslav, or one Vargskyr, instead of being forced to just inject them all and forfeit an army of like Radukar The Beast + Belladomma or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

DLC Inc posted:

I still think the dumbest poo poo is forcing you to take ALL of them at once, thus taking up like 3 Leader spots. I wish I could just take like, some of the Vyrkos and maybe Goreslav, or one Vargskyr, instead of being forced to just inject them all and forfeit an army of like Radukar The Beast + Belladomma or something like that

Didn't the errata change that?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Didn't the errata change that?
Yes, it was fixed here at the end: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/jNWNNZj2kRPaRB5g.pdf

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I miss the old serpent dragons. These new dragons remind me of Eragon

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The dragons are obviously very good models from a technical perspective but I dont like them personally.

They look too much like something on a YA novel cover or from a saturday morning cartoon that plays in between Gargoyles and Yugioh.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oh drat, did not see that latest update! Very cool, thanks :respek:

vvvvvvv I thought they'd all count as individual leaders, given they all had the "Leader" designation

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 26, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
also wouldn't they have counted as a single leader choice in the un-eratta'd version anyway?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

The dragons are obviously very good models from a technical perspective but I dont like them personally.

They look too much like something on a YA novel cover or from a saturday morning cartoon that plays in between Gargoyles and Yugioh.

how dare you they changed the Mortal Realms forever

nothing will ever be the same after this

haakman
May 5, 2011
I just finished my 'Forestheart Phoenix' so cannot wait to add a big smashing dragon as well. AoS 3 is great - I am a full convert from 40k.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

haakman posted:

I just finished my 'Forestheart Phoenix' so cannot wait to add a big smashing dragon as well. AoS 3 is great - I am a full convert from 40k.

That looks amazing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

After playing a game involving VLoZD, Blood Knights, and a Nomad Prince yesterday I am very much in agreement with the view that All Out Defense et al needs to be capped at a 3+ even without the god units entering into the conversation.

Vyrkos VLoZD can get a free command *each turn* so its not hard to maintain a near permanent 2+ save on itself (or a unit of blood knights its supporting). Living City Nomad prince can get a 2+ with a command trait and the rest can be put to negating rend.

Lotta cases of tanky as gently caress units fighting eachother with maybe two wounds to show for it, which are most likely immediately healed, at least until one of the d6 damage dragon attacks makes its way through a save.

Also Gotrek was there and because I was playing death he successfully killed about 40+ models of a 30 model unit.

That said mission scoring is neat and battle tactics being one of your main vp sources is a really drat good idea.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Also Gotrek was there and because I was playing death he successfully killed about 40+ models of a 30 model unit.

I'm only on Daemonslayer but that seems about right, why does he get a buff vs death tho?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Any hero monster at base 3+ is pretty oppressive in AOS 3. Almost all factions can easily stack at least a couple of + saves to make them 2+ rendproof. What wounds that do get through are regenerated using heroic regen.

Archaon is by far the worst offender.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
It also really devalues rend as an ability on your model. Assuming it's part of the cost, because I have no idea how GW adds up model values. Hopefully they FAQ something to reduce the stacking. Though their track record isn't amazing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm only on Daemonslayer but that seems about right, why does he get a buff vs death tho?

I think the Death unit were Zombies or something that can come back if you don't wipe them fully out, so he killed a bunch, some came back, then he killed a bunch more until they were all dead.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Crazy Ferret posted:

I love my new smug dragons.

this one is absolutely based on someone's fursona (scalesona?)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I was so pumped for these dragon boys until their faces were revealed. Go figure that GW couldn't stick the landing and make a dope rear end traditional dragon without adding some weird divisive element to it.

Fingers crossed that when dragon-riding Tyrion shows up he's got something a bit more fierce looking.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I was using skeletons. Just to see if trying to swamp him with a horde of them would work. I had enough combats that he needed to fight first, killed about 17 which was a combination of rolling low on his MWs on 6's to hit, and some clutch 6+ all out defense saves. About 11 or 12 of those came back, plinked him for a pair of wounds, and then he did his end of fight phase action and just loving wiped everyone between about 16 mortal wounds and all of his 3 damage hits getting through.

Naturally I tried again a turn later this time with a necromance I used the extra spell enhancement to give both Decrepify and Overwhelming Dread, plus a Chronomantic Cogs I cast last turn to give gotrek -1 to hit, wound, and (non-mortal) damage. Only killed about 6 when the turn was done.

radlum
May 13, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I really don't like the faces, they look like goofy pixar characters rather than vicious creatures.

I saw someone calling them Scar and Mufasa and now I can't unsee that.

I like them; as an old High Elf player I recall how much I disliked the look of their long skinny dragons so this kind of dragon looks much more like what I wanted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mikey Purp posted:

I was so pumped for these dragon boys until their faces were revealed. Go figure that GW couldn't stick the landing and make a dope rear end traditional dragon without adding some weird divisive element to it.

Fingers crossed that when dragon-riding Tyrion shows up he's got something a bit more fierce looking.

I like the face, it makes them look intelligent. The Bluish one particularly looks wise.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The blue one doesn't look friendly.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

radlum posted:

What? You're crazy - I don't know what you're talking about. There is absolutely no resemblance whatsoever...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A possible sculpt misstep and probably the cause of everyone saying "look at this goofy grinning guy" is the tusk in the back of his mouth obscuring its downward turn - he has a pretty neutral expression but at a glance it can read as a smile

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
They give me the Eragon series cover vibes, I can dig it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deified Data posted:

A possible sculpt misstep and probably the cause of everyone saying "look at this goofy grinning guy" is the tusk in the back of his mouth obscuring its downward turn - he has a pretty neutral expression but at a glance it can read as a smile
Eh. Not much difference IMO

I don't think he's dumb or goofy looking, but the two sculpts are both definitely cartoon inspired.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

radlum posted:

This is a point in their favor

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Hihohe posted:

You say that because they havent released chaos fallen dragons yet.

Or skeletal dragons

They fuckin' better. And also some evil looking black dragon to replace the bajillion year old one with the horrribly stupid head.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

A dragon for each chaos God would be sick

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like the face, it makes them look intelligent. The Bluish one particularly looks wise.

They sorta have the vibe of someone taking a person and making them dragonlike, rather than anthropomorhising a dragon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Injuryprone posted:

A dragon for each chaos God would be sick

Well, one of them would be.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Late to the discussion, but...

This part of the AoS Dominion sales thing puzzles me, and it might be because I'm relatively green in the hobby arena.

I bought Dark Imperium off the shelf back in April 2018 when presumably it had been out for around 9-10 months at that point. I didn't recall reading much about "it must have been over produced because there's still some on the shelves everywhere." It came with everything you needed to play, although had no terrain.

Is it more the case that Dominion isn't a "real" starter set, as in it's missing terrain, rulers, dice etc. and it's more just a special launch set? Hence why people think that it's presence in stores is a sign that it's unpopular and/or overproduced

I'm not a Kruelboyz fan which is odd because a lot of those models are badass, it just doesn't suit my aesthetic tastes. I like the idea that they are the "kunnin, but brutal" aspect of Orruks, but I feel like they should have still had that spicey fun to them like Orruks do. The little grot commando in ninja gear in the recent Kill Team Commandos box comes to mind. Although maybe that ventures too far into Gloomspite Gitz territory.

What would've been so hard about swamp hobgoblins I say!

EDIT: accidentally a letter!

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 28, 2021

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Dominion is a weird case. It's kind of a starter, but it's not intended as a beginner starter. I think the rationale was if you're a big AoS fan you'll probably pick this up because it's two new armies and a rule book, and the production cycle is limited.

The true "starters" are going to be the three sets coming out, which are more economically priced, and have a slimmed-down rule book.

I think GW has finally realized that asking a beginner to pay $200 for an introduction to a game is a little much to ask.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I bought a Lauka Vai/Vengorian dude to hang out with Nagash. I am part of the problem!

(I haven't played an actual game of AoS in like 3 years)

I'm looking forward most to see how I can magnetize the 2 sculpts - you'd think they'd just magnet at the hips, but they share a bunch of pieces - I'll take photos and post results I guess.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Some rules previews for warclans

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/27/the-realms-arent-ready-for-the-orruk-warclans-battletomes-dirty-tricks-and-stinky-monsters/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dominion is weird because iirc, the Orruk side doesn't have a legal army----it's missing another Battleline unit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

DrDraxium posted:

Late to the discussion, but...

This part of the AoS Dominion sales thing puzzles me, and it might be because I'm relatively green in the hobby arena.

I bought Dark Imperium off the shelf back in April 2018 when presumably it had been out for around 9-10 months at that point. I didn't recall reading much about "it must have been over produced because there's still some on the shelves everywhere." It came with everything you needed to play, although had no terrain.

Is it more the case that Dominion isn't a "real" starter set, as in it's missing terrain, rulers, dice etc. and it's more just a special launch set? Hence why people think that it's presence in stores is a sign that it's unpopular and/or overproduced

I'm not a Kruelboyz fan which is odd because a lot of those models are badass, it just doesn't suit my aesthetic tastes. I like the idea that they are the "kunnin, but brutal" aspect of Orruks, but I feel like they should have still had that spicey fun to them like Orruks do. The little grot commando in ninja gear in the recent Kill Team Commandos box comes to mind. Although maybe that ventures too far into Gloomspite Gitz territory.

What would've been so hard about swamp hobgoblins I say!

EDIT: accidentally a letter!

They appear to have changed strategy by having a limited time only set at the start of new games. 40k had indomitus, kill team will have a limited box. Generally these starters are insane value for GW if the contents are what you want. 40ks Indomitus box sold out pretty much instantly, GW even did a made to order run afterwards. Because Dominion did not sell out instantly people are pointing fingers at GW way overestimated demand (i.e. AoS isn't as popular as 40k) when who knows, maybe they just learned their lesson and instead of doing 6 months production after launch like Indomitus they did it up front.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

DLC Inc posted:

Dominion is weird because iirc, the Orruk side doesn't have a legal army----it's missing another Battleline unit.

If I'm understanding Warscroll Builder right the Stormcast side also isn't legal because you only have two units of 5 Vindictors and 3 Battleline is mandatory?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bob Smith posted:

If I'm understanding Warscroll Builder right the Stormcast side also isn't legal because you only have two units of 5 Vindictors and 3 Battleline is mandatory?

This isn't the first time this has happened - it encourages you to buy unit box or two to fill out the army to make things legal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Still mad about the Stormcast start collecting box not having enough Retributors to fill an actual unit :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Bob Smith posted:

Only at 2k points - you only need two battleline at 1k