Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The JBL border stuff had me want to stop watching.

I've said it here many times before, but it actually DID make me stop watching. JBL was a horrible gimmick and a bad performer, and I could see that even as a 14 year-old. I've since seen people try to reclaim it by insisting that "it wasn't actually that bad in the end". I watched it back, it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've said it here many times before, but it actually DID make me stop watching. JBL was a horrible gimmick and a bad performer, and I could see that even as a 14 year-old. I've since seen people try to reclaim it by insisting that "it wasn't actually that bad in the end". I watched it back, it was.

They could have claimed that if JBL lost the feud, but he won it pretty decisively. Actually even then it still isn't okay.

Note to wrestling companies: If your big idea to make a guy a top heel is to just have him be an unrepentant racist, STOP.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 19, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

JBL won the Eddie feud, held the belt for 9 more months, and finally dropped it to Cena in the Mania pre-main in a boring 10-minute match. It sucked, all of it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

They could have claimed that if JBL lost the feud, but he won it pretty decisively. Actually even then it still isn't okay.

Note to wrestling companies: If your big idea to make a guy a top heel is to just have him be an unrepentant racist, STOP.

Well it worked so well for them at WM XIX . At least they kinda learned their lesson with Kofi vs. Bryan and didn't make the racism obvious (but anybody who could read between the lines knew what was going on). And of course then they just didn't really put any faith in Kofi as champion so that didn't go so well either despite him having a 6-month run which is 6 months more than I thought they'd give him.

D.N. Nation posted:

JBL won the Eddie feud, held the belt for 9 more months, and finally dropped it to Cena in the Mania pre-main in a boring 10-minute match. It sucked, all of it.

He also was straight up the worst champ from a business standpoint since Diesel. There's a bit of irony that a self-professed financial genius was such a financial disaster.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 19, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Imagine wanting a respite from the Hunter Reign of Terror, heading on over to SmackDown, and it's the JBL show

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince unable to imagine a racist losing.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
Here is a baby AJ Styles vs. the rare Bald Alex Wright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ9xzcpfByc

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

CHIVERS posted:

the rare Bald Alex Wright

AKA "uh oh, nobody cared about Berlyn, now what do we do with him?"

Also boy Air Paris sure managed to be the other guy in that tag team

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

rujasu posted:

Also boy Air Paris sure managed to be the other guy in that tag team

Didn’t even get a Jannetty run. Which considering Marty might be a silver lining.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC Paris had a habit of no showing on the indies

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1419642112526721029

this is a strange one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ZixTheYeti posted:

Didn’t even get a Jannetty run. Which considering Marty might be a silver lining.

They only teamed together 4 times.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people forget about this gimmick but he was cutting promos like this on Nitro for like 4 months and it sucked rear end

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

people forget about this gimmick but he was cutting promos like this on Nitro for like 4 months and it sucked rear end

And then a year and change later Russo and Bischoff thought "What if that, but the whole promotion"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

And then a year and change later Russo and Bischoff thought "What if that, but the whole promotion"

"Bro we'll pop the smarks bro."
"But isn't it the casual market we should aim for?"
"Bro."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I suppose they were ahead of the curve in predicting the IWC, but...well, the results speak for themselves. How often have worked shoots been well received?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I suppose they were ahead of the curve in predicting the IWC, but...well, the results speak for themselves. How often have worked shoots been well received?

they weren't predicting it they were responding to it, the IWC fully existed by 1998

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It wasn't a prediction, it was a response to the dirt sheets and message boards that existed at the time. it didn't work because the the only fans that caught the references would also read those places to find out it was being worked.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Alaois posted:

Wrestlers pouring coffee on themselves is how you get them over!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What exactly was the beef between Bischoff and Guerrero? Was it before or after Eddie's drunk driving incident? Because I remember reading something along the lines of Eddie had been promised a new generous contract by Bischoff, got into his accident a day before he was due to sign, then Bischoff did him a solid and honoured the contract anyway when he could have pulled the offer. Eddie expressed how thankful he was.

E:

Fin Martin of Powerslam magazine posted:

Eddie Guerrero almost killed himself when he ran his car off the road on the early morning of January 1. High on GHB, Guerrero passed out at the wheel of his TransAm and drove off an embankment and into a ditch at high speed. Like Brian Pillman in 1996, Guerrero was thrown from the vehicle before it rolled. Had he been strapped into the vehicle, he would have been crushed. Guerrero revealed in his autobiography, Cheating Death, Stealing Life, that it was a suicide attempt, provoked by an argument with his wife Vickie. Eddie and Vickie had frequently quarrelled over Eddie’s drinking and drug-taking, mostly. Prior to the accident, the extent of Guerrero’s alcohol and drug consumption was known only to his family and close friends. Guerrero was remarkably candid about his excesses in his memoirs, and the misery and embarrassment it caused to those around him. He even admitted that he drank so much at his nephew Chavo’s wedding, at which he served as best man, that he passed out and had to be carried from the room. This had followed another bust-up with Vickie in front of the entire wedding party. Guerrero suffered massive injuries in the car crash: a lacerated liver, a broken collarbone and hip socket, and serious damage to vertebrae and his calf and thigh. The initial prognosis was that he would not wrestle again. He returned to action in a match with Juventud Guerrera on the June 21, 1999 Monday Nitro. Guerrero admitted in an interview with PS on December 27, 2001 that he had returned to WCW prematurely: “I made the mistake that everybody told me not to: I came back too soon,” he said. “I was told to take between eight months and a year off, and I was back on TV after five-and-a-half months. On the outside, I was pretty much healed up, but inside, I still hadn’t healed completely.” The pain from the accident led Guerrero to increase his pain medication and alcohol consumption. The bumps in the ring only upped his intake. A final point about Guerrero regarding this period of his career: he was forever grateful to Eric Bischoff for standing by him following the car accident. Guerrero told me in the aforementioned interview, published in Issue 91 of PS: “A lot of people don’t know this, but my [WCW] contract was up [on December 31, 1998]. When I crashed, I had not signed a new contract. Eric Bischoff then sent me a new contract — with a substantial raise. We had talked about the deal and agreed on it before the accident, but I had never signed it. And he sent the contract to me, not knowing if I was ever going to be able to wrestle again. The contract was for three years — complete deal. That’s how much he cared. A lot of people say bad things about Eric Bischoff, but, when I was in trouble, he came through for me. He did that. I still remember signing the contract in hospital.”

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tato posted:

Wrestlers pouring coffee on themselves is how you get them over!

https://youtu.be/8LDPp6kk8Bs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

they weren't predicting it they were responding to it, the IWC fully existed by 1998

OBSERVE THIS BROTHER THIS IS WHAT WE CALL A RAG SHEET BROTHER

but it's like a dinosaur compared to the internet the internet has the scoops

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

OBSERVE THIS BROTHER THIS IS WHAT WE CALL A RAG SHEET BROTHER

but it's like a dinosaur compared to the internet the internet has the scoops

"The internet has the real scoops, brother" is up there with "eating fruit and being cool" and calling himself Big Wood in terms of Good Hogan poo poo

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

MassRafTer posted:

They only teamed together 4 times.

I knew they were short lived since they were only there at the end of WCW but Paris didn’t even try to capitalize on being “the other guy” at any point. I guess the reason is because AJ didn’t start skyrocketing until TNA a couple years later or Paris just wasn’t interested, but it still seems like something someone somewhere would’ve at least tried to use to generate some business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ZixTheYeti posted:

I knew they were short lived since they were only there at the end of WCW but Paris didn’t even try to capitalize on being “the other guy” at any point. I guess the reason is because AJ didn’t start skyrocketing until TNA a couple years later or Paris just wasn’t interested, but it still seems like something someone somewhere would’ve at least tried to use to generate some business.

He was the more established guy in 2001 so he wasn't going to capitalize on it then, he had his own thing going in Wildside. Then he kind of fell off and by the time he was back on the scene it was kind of a new indie generation.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 27, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Lariats and clotheslines are the same thing. Same as an axe bomber. All the same move.

I thought it was a Lariat when a Cowboy did it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1420073949635940353?s=21

Cannot believe how well Curt handled this, Christ. He looks like he wants to beat the dogshit out of Jimmy for asking about it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

He was the more established guy in 2001 so he wasn't going to capitalize on it then, he had his own thing going in Wildside. Then he kind of fell off and by the time he was back on the scene it was kind of a new indie generation.
He also had his career derailed by personal issues, IIRC.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1420073949635940353?s=21

Cannot believe how well Curt handled this, Christ. He looks like he wants to beat the dogshit out of Jimmy for asking about it

I’d say Curt handled it perfectly

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
my favorite Air Paris story was that he showed up to a WCW show with a plane costume complete with wings for his entrance gear, got supported by the Steiners or some veterans who thought it would be a great rib, and then eventually talked out of it again before committing career suicide

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

my favorite Air Paris story was that he showed up to a WCW show with a plane costume complete with wings for his entrance gear, got supported by the Steiners or some veterans who thought it would be a great rib, and then eventually talked out of it again before committing career suicide

I think you are remembering Jason Jett's infamous gear.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I think you are remembering Jason Jett's infamous gear.

Yeah that's right, d'oh

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mancow is one of the most full of poo poo people on the Earth and he just posted a peak Mancow video with old footage with Hogan and then some video of Mancow claiming he was there when Elizabeth left Macho Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5_heVXCZ5A

Also includes some video of his stuff with WCW.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
FREE SPEECH!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WrestlingArcade/status/1422249110996979716

please enjoy Jericho coming closer than anyone else did to making Dean laugh.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Guess who

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

charlotte??

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Barry Horowitz and Seth Rollins hosed and their kid went back in time like in that one Fire Emblem game.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mark Mero Mk 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

overmind2000 posted:

Mark Mero Mk 1

Mark ZERO-1