Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Burt posted:

Questions.

How do I play on a screen bigger than a postage stamp?
How do I pick up the spool of wire Han Solo sends me to find, nothing seems to work?

When I try to open the settings from the log in screen it just says I have an error and the game won't work. I t does work and when I modify the config file manually to give me bigger screen res it works but the text is tiny.

Halp Obi Wan.

OK I sorted the interact button, lol tilde, and found by opening the settings from the main directory I can set the screen res. I still can't seem to get bigger fonts size however and I am still getting the error message even with a delete and reinstall.
I am back playing again though!

Or not. Server been down all day :(

I think you have to download a mod to increase the font size beyond a certain point. I’m not sure if it’s universal across different servers though. What server are you playing on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is SWGEMU done yet?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Sounds like you're on Resto3. Hop on their disco if you've got more technical questions. Make sure you've got the most up-to-date launcher off their website.

Gwailar
Jun 21, 2021
I am a Stupid Newbie.

According to "the rules," I should lurk before I post.
Thus, I am lurking. I have lurked my way to this Post.

According to "the rules," before I reply, I should ask myself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"
Having asked myself that question, I have settled on an answer in the affirmative.

My significant advice to you, Alexandre DeLarge, is this:
Shut up, Idiot.

Aedaxus
Feb 3, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is SWGEMU done yet?

It is still working. I'm on Basilisk, hanging out around Bestine and Mos Eisley doing Imperial missions once in a while.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So I am on Resto3 and enjoying it, but I am struggling with getting money. I am trying to level an architect and have just hit a wall where I need money to harvest resources to advance but my harvesters need to be fed! This is compounded by the fact that it's so bloody difficult to transfer items and cash between characters on the same account without having a shared house. I want 10 alts dammit!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Burt posted:

So I am on Resto3 and enjoying it, but I am struggling with getting money. I am trying to level an architect and have just hit a wall where I need money to harvest resources to advance but my harvesters need to be fed! This is compounded by the fact that it's so bloody difficult to transfer items and cash between characters on the same account without having a shared house. I want 10 alts dammit!

Small houses are definitely the easiest way to share items (small Naboo houses take up 1 lot, all other small/medium houses take up 2 lots, and a large house takes up 5 lots) at the moment, especially with the mail server running for all of ten minutes after reboot before taking a dump, but you can also log into both of your characters at once, meet up, and just trade items or tip. Create a text file with the following:

code:
[SwgClient]

allowMultipleInstances=true
and save it as user.cfg. If you don't have file extensions shown, make sure it is not actually saved as user.cfg.txt because it won't work. Log in with one character, alt+tab, open the game again, and choose the second character. You can use both of your characters at once, but you cannot sign up for multiple accounts and run more than two instances. If you try to login to two accounts with the same IP address, even on different computers, you'll get disconnected and staff have to manually approve both accounts.

Once you have a house, you can use the structure management panel to add your second character as an admin. Keep in mind, any continers (backpacks, armoirs, chests, bookshelves, whatever) that have no-trade items in them cannot be accessed by other characters, even on the same account. You cannot add other characters (even your second char) as administrators to harvesters, but you can with other structures like factories.

You can do artisan missions from mission terminals for money. Most resources you get early on are going to be hand-sampled until you can afford a harvester or two. There are also surveying missions you can do from the same terminals. The best way I've found to get money is to do legacy quest missions with one of your two characters, though they are a slog in a handful of places, and not exactly an option if you're purposefully avoiding combat professions. I was sitting on about a million credits by the time I finished Corellia and my second character is now self-funded by selling resources gathered by ten harvesters.

In regards to your earlier post:

By default, the interact key is tilde (which you discovered). You can also right-click. If you do plan on doing quests, I recommend going into the game's UI settings and enabling "show all object names." Sometimes you're tasked with interacting with incredibly small items tucked away in a corner or on top of another object. You can also edit the size of the object names text if the default is too small. Inventory text and icon sizes can be increased, as well, but a lot of the text drawn on screen is going to look small at anything higher than 1920x1080. I'd also recommend enabling the waypoint monitor under options -> misc and dragging it over by your minimap so you can keep track of where the hell you're going more easily. Final UI tip I have is to change the pallette over to the Restoration 3 (gray) setting (either under misc or UI). It improves readability tremendously. Unfortunately, until the devs either mod it themselves or allow a third-party to roll in and create a server-specific UI mod, those are really the only things that can be done to improve text.

If you're still stuck the next time you're playing, PM me your in-game name and I can hook you up with a few harvesters and some power. At the bazaar, there is a "vendor search" tab that will search for items at players' personal vendors, so if what you're looking for doesn't exist or is too expensive, it doesn't hurt to see if a vendor has it available for less, even if it does take a few minutes to get there and back. You can right-click an item you've found in vendor search, create waypoint, and then hit K to open your datapad and enable the waypoint once you're on the same planet as the vendor. Just as an example, there's someone on Tat who sells BER11 medium harvesters for 5k credits less than they go for at the Mos Eisley bazaar. If you're loading up a character with ten harvesters, those're pretty significant savings. The heavy harvesters (BER14 is max, but the hoppers are much larger) are something like 70-80k less at vendors than on the bazaar. I assume resources are the same.

All wikis for the game are only kinda accurate for the server. You'll sometimes find that waypoints don't match up (like if you are going for a squill's skull in the Hero of Tatooine quest). Most of the waypoints are accurate. You can copy/paste waypoints into the chat box no problem but if you're trying to copy/paste a macro or anything like that, there are specific bindings under Keybinds > Chat to copy/paste. /notepad in chat will create a text file located at \SWG Restoration III\profiles\r3acctusername\notes.txt that you can access in the game or outside of the game.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 26, 2021

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Incredibly useful stuff

I love you.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

If anyone is playing on Ret 3 and has given up on the game, stick me, Burtressa, on admin on any of your non personal harvesters you may have dropped. I am seeing loads of harvesters burning around Mos Eisley and it makes me a sad Burt, as I could hopefully be selling anything they suck up!

Also if you have given up just give me all your stuff too obviously.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
You can't add admins (even different char on same acct) to most harvesters to keep people from setting up multi-acct mining farms. I know it is true for all mineral harvesters but not sure about the other types.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

You can't add admins (even different char on same acct) to most harvesters to keep people from setting up multi-acct mining farms. I know it is true for all mineral harvesters but not sure about the other types.

Well that sucks. That's how I used to make a living!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Not going to lie, this is, once again, taking over my life!!!

Got my Arti/Ardc/Shipw crafting her little socks off and my Wook Fambaa tipping and I am loving every minute of it.

Need more slots though, I am desperate to get a CH and get one of those 10m tall Kliniks!!!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Burt posted:

Not going to lie, this is, once again, taking over my life!!!

Got my Arti/Ardc/Shipw crafting her little socks off and my Wook Fambaa tipping and I am loving every minute of it.

Need more slots though, I am desperate to get a CH and get one of those 10m tall Kliniks!!!

The curse of SWG. I must admit I'm losing a growing number of hours to it!!

Snarxle
Apr 23, 2013
Anyone found a pretty decent guild on Legends? I don't know how many goons are playing legends but it'd be nice to not have to filter through potentially crap guilds, would like to do some heroics/mustafar instances but not very well geared yet. Preferably rebel/neutral, imperials are icky.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I've dabbled a bit on legends but so lonely

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Ive done full heroic runs a few times on Legends but I can't see myself making it a regular thing.

You can bring the game back but you can't bring 2007 back.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Get on Ret3, plenty of active guilds.

Questions;
How do I resign from the neutral pilot faction? I joined to get the ship for easy travel but I want to go Imperial but no matter what I do I can't resign, and the Imp recruiter won't talk to me until I do. I have deleted the ship and the first mission but the neutral trainer just keeps giving me a new ship and the first mission again!

When can I realistically start wearing armour? As in it won't cripple me just putting it on.

How do you make the monster pets??!! I am going CH simply to get a pair of massive sludge panthers!

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Burt posted:

Get on Ret3, plenty of active guilds.

Questions;
How do I resign from the neutral pilot faction? I joined to get the ship for easy travel but I want to go Imperial but no matter what I do I can't resign, and the Imp recruiter won't talk to me until I do. I have deleted the ship and the first mission but the neutral trainer just keeps giving me a new ship and the first mission again!

When can I realistically start wearing armour? As in it won't cripple me just putting it on.

How do you make the monster pets??!! I am going CH simply to get a pair of massive sludge panthers!

To resign, go to the recruiter. You can find the recruiters here:
https://www.swgemu.com/archive/scrapbookv51/data/20070204121749/index.html

You can wear armor without any encumbrance once you master any combat profession. If you choose to dabble, it'll depend on what trees you dabble in and whether the percent decrease adds up to overcome the encumbrance (percent decrease are additive, not multiplicative). All melee profs (except TKM) wear padded, so dabbling in those is more likely to get you over the hump.

The bigger, more powerful creature pets are typically made by Bio-Engineers. If you hop on the R3 discord, you should be able to find a BE who can make you a pet to your specifications.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Cheers for that!

Now I am taking it that the Rattletrap pick up isn't working is it because I just dropped a load of harvesters in the arse end of Rori and was all excited about getting a free ride home and the loving thing doesn't work :(

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Is that the instant travel thing? Yeah, the devs disabled instant travel. Vehicles only. It's kind of annoying sometimes, but it's about the journey, not the destination? :confused:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

SoUncool posted:

Is that the instant travel thing? Yeah, the devs disabled instant travel. Vehicles only. It's kind of annoying sometimes, but it's about the journey, not the destination? :confused:

It's annoying when I have 5 harvs on some good copper at 93% but it's 6km from nearest starport or shuttle. The pain of being a miner...*

*Which everyone is, gently caress trying to sell minerals to make money. :(

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That Stardust server in the OP from 2016 sounded really cool...is that still around? I'm at work right now so I'm not sure if the page just isn't loading because of the web filter or if it's down.

Then again, CU was my favorite era of the game, so that Restoration3 server sounds good, too.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

GoGoGadget posted:

That Stardust server in the OP from 2016 sounded really cool...is that still around? I'm at work right now so I'm not sure if the page just isn't loading because of the web filter or if it's down.

No, it died. It also had a really weird “politically incorrect” channel in the Discord that was pretty off-putting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i never saw them ever outright saying so but the dev gave off chud vibes, and got pretty mad if you ever questioned why they chose to use nude female texture mods on the server lol

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Was it Stardust that collapsed before even going live because of the drama that resulted from the dude giving his friends a head start?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the server was up for like a year maybe?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Ah, must have been a different one.

Harmdog
Jul 26, 2021

Aedaxus posted:

It is still working. I'm on Basilisk, hanging out around Bestine and Mos Eisley doing Imperial missions once in a while.

Is this pre cu?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Ricki Rick posted:

Is this pre cu?

yeah Basilisk is the vanilla pre-cu server run by the original SWGEmu team

still not fully finished and will be wiped and replaced whenever the devs decide they've hit 1.0, though its been effectively feature complete for years now

Goast fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 26, 2021

Harmdog
Jul 26, 2021

Goast posted:

yeah Basilisk is the vanilla pre-cu server run by the original SWGEmu team

still not fully finished and will be wiped and replaced whenever the devs decide they've hit 1.0, though its been effectively feature complete for years now

Everyone always told me that pre cu was a much better experience. I'll have to give it a try. I used to play live shortly before the servers went down and had a lot of fun.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Ricki Rick posted:

Everyone always told me that pre cu was a much better experience. I'll have to give it a try. I used to play live shortly before the servers went down and had a lot of fun.

For me, CU was the sweet spot. Pre-CU was just "go Rifleman and target the mind pool"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

site posted:

yeah i never saw them ever outright saying so but the dev gave off chud vibes, and got pretty mad if you ever questioned why they chose to use nude female texture mods on the server lol

lol Levarris was notorious during live for being a toxic rear end in a top hat and had a reputation for being kicked from every guild on his server. It tracks that he's now one of the mods on the swg subreddit.

GoGoGadget posted:

For me, CU was the sweet spot. Pre-CU was just "go Rifleman and target the mind pool"

Same. I sunk a few hours into Legends over the weekend to see if NGE had aged well and whilst the project they're running is technically impressive, I don't think it is an enjoyable to play.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

My only other time with SWG was in late 2004 where, paired with an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon 8500 LE, I was still dealing with 5-6 minute loading screens between planetary shuttles.

We are brothers, that was also my setup when I played back then. It was rough! (good budget setup for the time, though)

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

When SWG first came out I was a complete PC noob and had no idea how to install graphics drivers. I remember I couldn't play for like a week until I figured that out because whatever lovely graphics card I purchased on a whim with my 16 year-old no-job-having money.

But when I was finally able to get in, eat my starter fruit and kill a butterfly on Naboo with my starter knife, I was hooked.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I was in a similar boat. My parents' PC was a piece of poo poo and we didn't have a ton of cash, so an online buddy (from a Star Wars MUD no less) put together a list of parts for a super barebones, cheap gaming PC, and then he mailed me his old graphics card (from across the Atlantic no less) to help keep it affordable for my dumb 15 year old self.

Bought the game at launch day, remember having massive issues connecting because it was an MMO on launch day, but I was still hooked for the rest of that summer. It was my first MMO and there wasn't really anything quite like it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Drone posted:

It was my first MMO and there wasn't really anything quite like it.

Same. I remember being pissed on the night of launch day because I couldn’t figure out how to save my game. I’d only played single player RPGs before!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Earth and Beyond was my first MMO. I don't even know if it was actually a good game, but I miss it because my dad, uncle and cousin all played it, too.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I sold pink short shorts and droids on Naboo, Bloodfin. Froti's hot pants, hell yeah.

I remember the day I stopped playing. It was around the CU, and I got home from school and checked all of my Harvesters for an hour. I think at this point I was the only person left in my friend group playing and I thought to myself, "why am I doing this?". Alas.

It was still fun while I played, and I've never see a game with a resource/crafting system quite like it. I'm a huge fan of the SWG-style resource rotations in particular. I think a problem that other games like Age of Conan ran into is that people would just wall off the best resources and hoard them. SWG kept crafters moving and frequently opened up opportunities for someone to get lucky with good mats.

when I was watching Mandalorian, I kept wondering what the stats would be for Beskar in SWG.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadget posted:

Earth and Beyond was my first MMO. I don't even know if it was actually a good game, but I miss it because my dad, uncle and cousin all played it, too.

It was a game way ahead of itself and a shame it shut down. But now there's some really good emu servers for it so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Thronde posted:

It was a game way ahead of itself and a shame it shut down. But now there's some really good emu servers for it so yay.

I played at launch and again before shutdown. It had some fun elements, but the least important thing was actually that it was an MMO. It felt more like a solo game to me. I enjoyed exploring and mining, and even some basic combat, but I rarely grouped with anyone. The "rez system" where you could jump start other players ships was kind of interesting, and the crafting was crazy unique, with disassembly and analyzing things to learn their blueprints.

It's the one MMORPG I played, and know there's an emulator, but I simply don't miss it.