Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the same difference between defending a take and pretending it just didn’t exist despite anyone being able to read it.

Don’t expect to much from you tho

That's fair. If you don't want to account for any degree of nuance I can see you getting very little from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Martman posted:

its entire popularity is based on people thinking that it is sophisticated, lmao

The defense of blackface on this very page is literally that it's sophisticated enough to justify it

Ugly's post is a defense of the movie but it's a defense from a specific implication of the post they quoted and doesn't imply the movie is sophisticated at all. Something can be stupid as dirt and require no deeper thought and still end up having a complex place in society; it's a fact I'm reminded of every time I turn off my monitor.

Shiroc posted:

Isn't one of the big jokes and the motivation of the story in Tropic Thunder about how Ben Stiller made a movie about being mentally handicapped and it bombed because 'you never go full r-word.' The whole thing is some powerful 2008 edgy joke poo poo from what I can remember.

That one's probably a lot more damaging to the cultural lexicon than any of the blackface stuff just by virtue of it being quotable out of context, but the joke is very directly against hollywood making exploitative movies about neurodivergent people. Like the joke is that Ben Stiller's character thought the film industry would reward him for playing any grotesque caricature of a neurodivergent person and he just blunders in to the worst possible choice instead of one of the socially acceptable ones.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Casnorf posted:

That's fair. If you don't want to account for any degree of nuance I can see you getting very little from me.

This is weak from you. Where is your philosophy 101 postering.

It would help in a sityation where you are trying to make up someone’s else’s argument in a lame attempt to own me

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I wonder if the better approach to the blackface aspect of Tropic Thunder would be to just literally have a black actor play the role. There's really only one scene where the fact that it's actually RDJ under the makeup is important (when he removes the makeup) but that can just be handled with good makeup or sfx and careful camera work. Really the only drawback there would be that it's NOT RDJ in that role, but there were plenty of black actors of similar fame around at that time

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Hmm yes, Tom Cruise in makeup and acting like an obvious Jewish stereotype, so funny and incisive.

Not making GBS threads on Tropic Thunder in general. It's an okay movie. But I was confused by all the people who talked about how great Tom Cruise was, and then felt underwhelmed by what I saw.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kit Walker posted:

I wonder if the better approach to the blackface aspect of Tropic Thunder would be to just literally have a black actor play the role. There's really only one scene where the fact that it's actually RDJ under the makeup is important (when he removes the makeup) but that can just be handled with good makeup or sfx and careful camera work. Really the only drawback there would be that it's NOT RDJ in that role, but there were plenty of black actors of similar fame around at that time

I'm in to this idea, the idea of them just playing reversed footage of a black man applying whiteface makeup is powerful

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

No no no, the way you do it is have the character played by an actual black guy, then have a scene of him taking a cloth to wash off the "makeup," do a reaction cut-away to everyone looking on, then cut back and it's RDJ saying "yeah, it was REALLY convincing makeup, right?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

The point of the Kirk Lazarus character is that it's a pretentious Hollywood "method actor" so obsessed with his craft that he'll do blackface to be authentic in the part rather than just have it be played by a black actor. It's taking a similar dig at Hollywood that the Simple Jack thing is.

Whether or not that justifies its inclusion is another argument, but that would remove the central point of the character.

E: Wait, or are you saying that when he's in makeup he should be played by an actual black actor, but then be RDJ when he takes it off?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

The point of the Kirk Lazarus character is that it's a pretentious Hollywood "method actor" so obsessed with his craft that he'll do blackface to be authentic in the part rather than just have it be played by a black actor. It's taking a similar dig at Hollywood that the Simple Jack thing is.

Whether or not that justifies its inclusion is another argument, but that would remove the central point of the character.

E: Wait, or are you saying that when he's in makeup he should be played by an actual black actor, but then be RDJ when he takes it off?

Yeah, I was just saying that it was handled in a very different way than like, a South Park blackface situation where it’s just edgy “the joke is blackface is bad but really we just want to do blackface” stuff. I don’t think Tropic Thunder pulled it off as well as they wanted to and it certainly aged badly, but comparing Tropic Thunder’s handling of it and South Park/early 2000’s comedies handling of it comes up with two completely different things.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

christmas boots posted:

Yes, exactly. It'll be a black actor playing a pretentious white Hollywood method actor in blackface

Asterite34 posted:

No no no, the way you do it is have the character played by an actual black guy, then have a scene of him taking a cloth to wash off the "makeup," do a reaction cut-away to everyone looking on, then cut back and it's RDJ saying "yeah, it was REALLY convincing makeup, right?"

That's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I just meant that it wouldn't actually be RDJ until the makeup removing scene

Count Uvula posted:

I'm in to this idea, the idea of them just playing reversed footage of a black man applying whiteface makeup is powerful

And I actually like this idea even more, lol

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Jul 27, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I was just saying that it was handled in a very different way than like, a South Park blackface situation where it’s just edgy “the joke is blackface is bad but really we just want to do blackface” stuff. I don’t think Tropic Thunder pulled it off as well as they wanted to and it certainly aged badly, but comparing Tropic Thunder’s handling of it and South Park/early 2000’s comedies handling of it comes up with two completely different things.
I guess it was unfair of me to say you were fully claiming it was "justified" in Tropic Thunder but I fundamentally disagree on this point. South Park is pretty much always doing the exact same "we're doing something extremely bad to show how stupid someone else is," and pretty much all attempts to use blackface ironically boil down to the same issue. tl:dr; yes, they really just wanted to do blackface

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shiroc posted:

Isn't one of the big jokes and the motivation of the story in Tropic Thunder about how Ben Stiller made a movie about being mentally handicapped and it bombed because 'you never go full r-word.' The whole thing is some powerful 2008 edgy joke poo poo from what I can remember.
yeah all three of them are just coming off movies and it's RDJ in blackface, Ben Stiller as a mentally handicapped dude who played himself too handicapped, and a lovely action movie spoof or something

(I will say that the fake trailer for rdj's previous movie, about two gay monks in like 12th century england, is absolutely note-perfect as a trailer for that kind of movie, which does not justify any of the rest of TT existing)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked the commentary track for Tropic Thunder. At one point RDJ makes a comment in the movie that he doesn't break character until the DVD commentary is over

And he does the commentary in character

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm sorry I mentioned Tropic Thunder, can I take it back?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Captain Monkey posted:

Take it back... to your grave!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Quick, mention Idiocracy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

packetmantis posted:

Quick, mention Idiocracy.

The documentary?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The documentary?

The Musical

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

No I think if we keep going we can really get to the bottom of this. So how does everybody feel about Jon Hamm doing blackface on 30 Rock?

E; actually I just checked and all of the 30 Rock blackface episodes (who knew there were so many?) were already pulled from everywhere last year at Tina Fey's request, so there's not much point to discussing their continued existence.

Donkey has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Jul 27, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Donkey posted:

No I think if we keep going we can really get to the bottom of this. So how does everybody feel about Jon Hamm doing blackface on 30 Rock?

E; actually I just checked and all of the 30 Rock blackface episodes (who knew there were so many?) were already pulled from everywhere last year at Tina Fey's request, so there's not much point to discussing their continued existence.

This just proves what I’ve always said

White liberal women are bad at comedy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Donkey posted:

That reminds me of one that may actually be more debatable, when Roger does blackface in Mad Men. I'm sure some viewers laugh at it because it's so shocking but I think it works because it's completely unironic; it's just a sad and probably accurate portrayal of the kind of poo poo a weird rich old white dude might be into in the 60s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Martman posted:

That reminds me of one that may actually be more debatable, when Roger does blackface in Mad Men. I'm sure some viewers laugh at it because it's so shocking but I think it works because it's completely unironic; it's just a sad and probably accurate portrayal of the kind of poo poo a weird rich old white dude might be into in the 60s.

It helps that everyone around him was like “Jesus loving Christ” and cringed to death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People of that era did blackface a lot—it’s just been scrubbed from the pop culture record for obvious reasons. By the 60s maybe it was passing out of the culture, but right up until then, it was not a big deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ56qNb3FwA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, the ridiculous levels of method acting were the whole point with Kirk Lazarus being a riff on Heath Ledger/Christian Bale types (with his offset behaviour and nationality probably from Russel Crowe). Pretty much every major character in Tropic Thunder is a riff on various Hollywood actors during hard times in their careers. It's a point where the actually black guy outright says that Hollywood would rather have a white man 'method acting' than actually cast a black person as a prominent black character.

The real fun bit is near the end of the movie where Kirk Lazarus regresses through every major character he's played like a dying shapeshifter.

AceOfFlames posted:

The use of the word definitely aged poorly but miguided idiots thinking making something like Simple Jack is okay definitely did not, as the Sia autism movie proved.

In conclusion, Tropic Thunder is a land of contrast.

Oh christ that shows. It pretty much spells out the unspoken view that people, especially the ones that give out awards, only like to see disabilities portrayed when they're not really disabilities.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i got tropic thunder confused with pineapple express at the beginning of reading this discussion

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pineapple express is a timeless masterpiece

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the ridiculous levels of method acting were the whole point with Kirk Lazarus being a riff on Heath Ledger/Christian Bale types (with his offset behaviour and nationality probably from Russel Crowe).

Ledger was Australian too, so just behaviours I'd guess. Or also Daniel Day Lewis who is also an infamous method actor.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ledger was Australian too, so just behaviours I'd guess. Or also Daniel Day Lewis who is also an infamous method actor.

Daniel Day Lewis at least gives good performances.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is from a couple of pages back, but The Stupids is a great film!

"Man-Bush, you are natures greatest miracle!" still makes me laugh.

The mum in that film gives a great, under-rated performance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tropic Thunder probably gets a bit less credit than it deserves because it's an extremely meta movie, with a lot of the actors involved playing parodies of themselves mixed with various other Hollywood actors. Also not really that serious given it involves a drug cartel run by a child who are all big fans of Simple Jack, and Ben Stiller gets attacked by and kills a panda, then skins it and wears it after a mental breakdown.

Careers on the edge of implosion are kind of a theme there; Ben Stiller's character is an action star who's attempts at serious roles went over badly and returned to an action franchise that's outstayed its welcome (young Sylvester Stallone vibes, perhaps); RDJ a method actor and Oscar luminary who's greatly neglected his mental health, see above; Jack Black is... kinda self-parody as usual but his drug problems have Chris Farley vibes and his movies are an obvious jab at late career Eddie Murphy; and Alpa Chino being an obvious riff on rappers trying to break into movies with mixed success.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“Five time Academy Award winner Kirk Lazarus, and MTV Best Kiss Award winner Tobey Maguire” is extremely on point for my burning hatred of Tobey Maguire.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Torquemada posted:

“Five time Academy Award winner Kirk Lazarus, and MTV Best Kiss Award winner Tobey Maguire” is extremely on point for my burning hatred of Tobey Maguire.

What did Tobey ever do to hurt you?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tropic Thunder probably gets a bit less credit than it deserves because it's an extremely meta movie, with a lot of the actors involved playing parodies of themselves mixed with various other Hollywood actors. Also not really that serious given it involves a drug cartel run by a child who are all big fans of Simple Jack, and Ben Stiller gets attacked by and kills a panda, then skins it and wears it after a mental breakdown.

Careers on the edge of implosion are kind of a theme there; Ben Stiller's character is an action star who's attempts at serious roles went over badly and returned to an action franchise that's outstayed its welcome (young Sylvester Stallone vibes, perhaps); RDJ a method actor and Oscar luminary who's greatly neglected his mental health, see above; Jack Black is... kinda self-parody as usual but his drug problems have Chris Farley vibes and his movies are an obvious jab at late career Eddie Murphy; and Alpa Chino being an obvious riff on rappers trying to break into movies with mixed success.

Honestly the most 2008 thing in the movie is probably the last of these. Does that still happen at all?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

My partner recently rewatched the entirety of Gossip Girl, which meant I also ended up absorbing more than I wanted to. In the final season's thanksgiving episode, one of the women dresses up in what I imagine the writers thought to be authentic Native American dress to seduce a white dude on the holiday, which was a pretty big yikes for the two of us.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Didn't kiss him

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My partner recently rewatched the entirety of Gossip Girl, which meant I also ended up absorbing more than I wanted to. In the final season's thanksgiving episode, one of the women dresses up in what I imagine the writers thought to be authentic Native American dress to seduce a white dude on the holiday, which was a pretty big yikes for the two of us.

Is the character supposed to be Native American or is she a white Upper East Sider? Because I can imagine the latter actually happening.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nottherealaborn posted:

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly the most 2008 thing in the movie is probably the last of these. Does that still happen at all?

If the movie were made today, Alpa would be a pro wrestler.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Nottherealaborn posted:

Apparently he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OPAONI posted:

Apparently he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, isn’t it an open secret that the guy Michael Cera plays in Molly’s Game (Player X) is meant to be Toby?