Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The best company I worked for was a privately held construction behemoth and they did a really good job of ensuring that no one felt like they were at risk of losing their job and did things like try to keep the same teams from project to project to minimize losing that kind of knowledge. They also paid the absolute hell out of their employees and threw in all kinds of perks to keep people from leaving. Going from that to a publicly traded company was a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I worked with someone who was deliberately trying to bus-factor themselves into permanent employment once. They had got their son to automate a mindlessly tedious bit of admin for them so they could do a week of work in a couple of hours, and they absolutely refused to share how to do this or to pick up any more work in the saved time even when told to by their manager. They were part-time so having them sit around doing nothing 2.5 days/week was still technically cost-effective.
So, I got asked to re-automate the process myself and got it down to typing in a single number. If you're going to try that play better make sure the card you're holding is good!
(They didn't even get kicked out; they quit because the office moved and they didn't want to commute, despite having a salary/effort ratio better than most CEOs).

e: vvv nah, watching the realisation on everyone's faces that they'd wasted years of salary was reward enough.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 27, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Xaintrailles posted:

I worked with someone who was deliberately trying to bus-factor themselves into permanent employment once. They had got their son to automate a mindlessly tedious bit of admin for them so they could do a week of work in a couple of hours, and they absolutely refused to share how to do this or to pick up any more work in the saved time even when told to by their manager. They were part-time so having them sit around doing nothing 2.5 days/week was still technically cost-effective.
So, I got asked to re-automate the process myself and got it down to typing in a single number. If you're going to try that play better make sure the card you're holding is good!
(They didn't even get kicked out; they quit because the office moved and they didn't want to commute, despite having a salary/effort ratio better than most CEOs).

I really hope you picked up the mantle and refused to share your estoric knowledge.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Good to know at least one of the coworkers on the team I joined six months ago, and with whom I'll be sitting in close proximity to, "can't wear a mask for longer periods" and doesn't plan on wearing one once we're back in the office two days a week. Cool. Cool. Cool. Cool.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Good to know at least one of the coworkers on the team I joined six months ago, and with whom I'll be sitting in close proximity to, "can't wear a mask for longer periods" and doesn't plan on wearing one once we're back in the office two days a week. Cool. Cool. Cool. Cool.

Buy a full-face respirator.
Hot-glue LED tubes in circles around the valves, get a real sci-fi aesthetic going on.
Add a speaking diaphragm, but with an adjustable voice-changer.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I believe that's called going full Baine

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do not, my colleagues, become addicted to Excel. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

Do not, my colleagues, become addicted to Excel. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Truth

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You would be alarmed, but possibly not surprised, if you really knew how much of the work of government bureaucracy is done entirely in Excel. Whatever percentage you're thinking of, I assure you it's higher. Done in Excel by the kind of person who doesn't know how to launch their files or programs if you rearrange their desktop shortcuts.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Imagined posted:

You would be alarmed, but possibly not surprised, if you really knew how much of the work of government bureaucracy is done entirely in Excel. Whatever percentage you're thinking of, I assure you it's higher. Done in Excel by the kind of person who doesn't know how to launch their files or programs if you rearrange their desktop shortcuts.

That certainly makes things more understandable.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Just full on typing sentences into a single cell :barf:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Before COVID forced the adoption of office 365, a huge amount of work in my office was done by people updating Excel files and then emailing them to each other without really changing the file names, so you'd have an inbox full of DAILY RECEIPT LOG 6-24-21 -1 (1)(2).xlsx, and this would be the current file for July 25th. A good portion of my day was spent trying to figure out who had particular Excel files, stored on a network drive, open, so I could ask them to close the file so I could work on it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Look at this guy that never had to do an engineering presentation in Excel.

Excel is pretty good when you need to show your work and explain stuff in technical reviews.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I believe that's called going full Baine

Bane

quote:

Oh, you think the spreadsheet is your ally, but you merely adopted the grid. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see Word until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding! The formatting tools betray you, because they belong to me.
:banesay:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 27, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This was never part of the document review

I am altering the file name to Final2.USETHIS, pray I do not alter it any further

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Our demand management system is Access based and spits out an Excel file for mass copy/pasting. I had to convince the programmer that our product description field needed to be limited to 100 characters because you would get descriptions like "USB-A M to USB-C M cable, 3 Feet, Black. Needed for internal cabling between the MEP9-2 and FEP4-4 ports to carry incoming system data from RT to workstation for display to the user. Please buy this immediately." If you give me an accurate part number, a manufacturer and three words of description I can figure out what you want. The life story part descriptions drove me crazy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
lmao if you don't just take phone pics of the sticky notes on your wall and use those for every meeting

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I take photos of notes, email them to myself, and then embed them in excel sheets

Earlier this year I uncovered an excel sheet with thousands of rows of data, and for each row at least three of the cells had a paragraph worth of customer notes :suicide:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Amateur. How about typing a sentence into several rows in a single column, so that none of the text disappears.

Apparently the person who made that file had never come across the wrap text function.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

So I just started a new job a couple weeks ago, and the application they use is somewhat archaic. However, one of my trainers boasted that it was incredibly hard to actually break.

Well, last week it started having a shitfit and kept giving "Invalid Date Entry" errors on almost everything I did. It got so bad I had to use a older backup version just so I can get my work done.

Today I was trying to issue a payment. While the errors were irritating and wasted a ton of time, they hadn't ever flat out prevented me from doing something.

Winds up the issue started when I had changed the date format displayed in Windows from the default to dd-mmm-yyyy. Apparently the system uses the formatted date string instead of the raw value when pulling the date from the OS, so whenever a window had a date field, the whole application would just tell me to get hosed.

I know it's a minor thing and was fixed by switching the date format back, but holy gently caress who programmed this poo poo?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Infidel Castro posted:

So I just started a new job a couple weeks ago, and the application they use is somewhat archaic. However, one of my trainers boasted that it was incredibly hard to actually break.

Well, last week it started having a shitfit and kept giving "Invalid Date Entry" errors on almost everything I did. It got so bad I had to use a older backup version just so I can get my work done.

Today I was trying to issue a payment. While the errors were irritating and wasted a ton of time, they hadn't ever flat out prevented me from doing something.

Winds up the issue started when I had changed the date format displayed in Windows from the default to dd-mmm-yyyy. Apparently the system uses the formatted date string instead of the raw value when pulling the date from the OS, so whenever a window had a date field, the whole application would just tell me to get hosed.

I know it's a minor thing and was fixed by switching the date format back, but holy gently caress who programmed this poo poo?

Lmao, sounds like something I'd program thinking, "Make it work, then make it pretty," and then just never made it pretty [here to mean "not be a hacked together piece of poo poo"].

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What is everyone’s experiences with asking for office stuff if you’re working from home? It seems like we might never go back to the office (thank god) but I have no idea what is considered within the limits of normal for a company to provide.

Specifically, I have a lovely DxRacer knockoff from China thag was like $60 and our real cubicle chairs in the office are super expensive heavy duty $1500 ones. Did anyone get an office chair or desk or anything else ordered for their home office by their company? I plan on asking but I’ve never really requested Jack poo poo before so I’m not sure if it’s even worth trying.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

What is everyone’s experiences with asking for office stuff if you’re working from home? It seems like we might never go back to the office (thank god) but I have no idea what is considered within the limits of normal for a company to provide.

Specifically, I have a lovely DxRacer knockoff from China thag was like $60 and our real cubicle chairs in the office are super expensive heavy duty $1500 ones. Did anyone get an office chair or desk or anything else ordered for their home office by their company? I plan on asking but I’ve never really requested Jack poo poo before so I’m not sure if it’s even worth trying.

If they get you a Herman Miller chair for working from home i want to work at your company.

I was lucky to get a dock and a mouse

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just took the 32” UW with me the day they sent us home last year even though they said “don’t take anything home.” Yeah as if, I can’t do IT poo poo on a single laptop monitor.

I’m tight with the desktop guys so I got an extra dock for the second desk in the basement by just asking.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I told my previous job (fully remote for a megacorp) I couldn’t do a big chunk of my work without a 2nd monitor. They just had me stop doing that work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

What is everyone’s experiences with asking for office stuff if you’re working from home?
If I could get anything out of them then I wouldn't be working in the office. Meanwhile I can't even get things I need in the office.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

AHH F/UGH posted:

Requesting home office equipment

I’ve been thinking about this same thing lately, cause I’ve been using a reject chair my wife brought home from her office for the last year and a half and it sucks. But we were just told last week that we might return to the office in October, which complicates things. If I understood them correctly we’ll only have to go in 3 days every other week though, so maybe I can still request a better chair for the other 7 workdays each fortnight.

That hybrid schedule raises some questions for my group, because we need full-size desktops and a second screen to do our work and there’s no way we’re toting that back and forth every other week (the other group can and does work just fine on laptops). It’s unclear how that’s gonna shake out, but the three options seem to be:

1) we stay home
2) we stay in the office (I loving hope not)
3) they set us up with a home computer AND an office computer

They did say this might all be moot if case numbers start climbing though, and that’s looking entirely possible. Only time will tell.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

What is everyone’s experiences with asking for office stuff if you’re working from home?

We didn't do anything for furniture, but when it became clear we'd by WFH for a while, my company just had each department pick a day for people to come in, get their belongings from their desk, and IT cleared them to take their monitors, keyboard, mouse, dock, and any other IT equipment they had. We were remodeling anyway and going to only keeping desks for 50% of our pre-plague levels so all that poo poo was basically written off.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

AHH F/UGH posted:

i am pretty blessed because my work takes ergo and rsi stuff pretty seriously. the ergo dept set up the process for getting task chairs and sit/stand desks for home setup last year, and then we just had to make sure they fit into our teams' quarterly budgets.

i already had a laptop and monitor at home for remote work, but i took home my workstation and another monitor last march. unfortunately now when i go into the office i have no monitor to plug my laptop into to remote into, so i should probably bring one of the monitors back into the office. :arghfist:

as for asking your work to pay for that stuff: paying for appropriate work furniture is cheaper than paying for workers comp for an rsi. also your work likely already has a vendor for contract furniture, and gets deep deep discounts compared to what you'd pay direct from steelcase or herman miller or etc. still tho, there's no guarantee they'll say anything but gently caress you and that sucks poo poo and i'm sorry :(

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

Ahh you're Unit4's other client

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's like clockwork with these people

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boiled Water posted:

It's like clockwork with these people

Why don't you have a daily blocker for lunchtime?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I think they do.

Source: I have one and it doesn't stop this.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

gschmidl posted:

Just book a recurring "informal catch-up meeting" with a couple of accomplices.
If anyone outside your lunch group complains, then just shrug and say it's lunchtime anyway, you're not interrupting anyone's work hours.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The worst meetings I ever had were ones at 2am I had to dial into for global correspondence. I am never working a global job again until I'm headquarters and the other plebs call into me on my schedule

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We were having problems with lunch bookings so our CIO put a stop to it:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

I think they do.

Source: I have one and it doesn't stop this.

I did with my last client but the current one I had t set it up because at the previous client they had respect for the lunch

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My previous job tried to institute a No Meetings Friday thing, that lasted maybe two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The trick is to set the Lunch block on your calendar as an out of office type of appointment so then new invites automatically get bounced (you can do this in Google workspaces not sure if you can with outlook)