Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Sagebrush posted:

- (slipping out of gear instantly can also be a symptom of a tight clutch cable).

- (and a symptom of a tight clutch cable)

- a symptom of misadjusted clutch cable.

- bad engine braking is, once again, also a side effect of slipping clutch.

- Mess with the cable and report results.

I think I'll check the clutch cable.

Slavvy posted:

If you get the bike hot and try to find neutral at a stop, it can be difficult especially on small cheap bikes, but you should still be able to do it. If you can't and it's really difficult to get out of first or second, the cable is too loose and you aren't fully disengaging the clutch.

It's actually the opposite where it will go into Neutral but won't shift into gear, but from the sounds of it it's probably

Sagebrush posted:

- a symptom of misadjusted clutch cable.

As usual, learned more in a couple posts here than a couple hours on the internet. Thanks goons!

edit: Cat tax

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My GN125 is an older, lower cc version of basically that same engine, and I can confirm that sometimes it doesn't like to shift out of neutral without rolling it forward or back a little bit. Also sometimes doesn't fully click into neutral and the indicator goes blank. An extra light tap on the shift lever pops it fully into neutral and the light comes on.

The shifting also gets rougher and less precise when it's close to time for an oil change. Since it's a small engine that spends a lot of time screaming I do oil every 1500 miles with the filter every other change/ every 3000 miles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aside from very model-specific questions like acceptable replacement part numbers for some unobtainium part that broke, for which you might go to a model specific forum, there's no reason to go to any motorcycle forums except CA. They all suck rear end

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

My GN125 is an older, lower cc version of basically that same engine, and I can confirm that sometimes it doesn't like to shift out of neutral without rolling it forward or back a little bit. Also sometimes doesn't fully click into neutral and the indicator goes blank. An extra light tap on the shift lever pops it fully into neutral and the light comes on.

The shifting also gets rougher and less precise when it's close to time for an oil change. Since it's a small engine that spends a lot of time screaming I do oil every 1500 miles with the filter every other change/ every 3000 miles.

AKSHULLY the 250 and 125 engines are completely unrelated, even the basic layout differs.

Sagebrush posted:

Aside from very model-specific questions like acceptable replacement part numbers for some unobtainium part that broke, for which you might go to a model specific forum, there's no reason to go to any motorcycle forums except CA. They all suck rear end

This. They are always hopeless circlejerks where the bike I like and own is the best in the universe and all the others are trash, wives tales trump reality and the only reason anyone ever crashes is cold tyres and other people's faults.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

AKSHULLY the 250 and 125 engines are completely unrelated, even the basic layout

Oh weird. I just looked at some photos and yeah, the engine case layout still looks the same but the cam chain and spark plug are swapped to opposite sides.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
The clutch cable was the issue, the PO had it cranked as far over a possible. Loosened it up and went for a test ride and all the problems went away, even stuff I thought was just me being bad at motorcycles like stalling every time I take off from a light.

Fun little interaction during the test ride: I was waiting in an intersection to make a left and a woman in an SUV creeps by me real slow at an angle, catches my mirror on hers, rolls over the side of my foot, nearly makes me drop my bike and hosed up my right mirror.

She did roll her window down to ask if I was okay, though...

Sagebrush posted:

there's no reason to go to any motorcycle forums except CA. They all suck rear end

:hmmyes:

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 27, 2021

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The clutch cable was the issue, the PO had it cranked as far over a possible. Loosened it up and went for a test ride and all the problems went away,

Had this exact same experience with my first bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The clutch cable was the issue

Nice! With time you too will develop an understanding of the causes of certain weirdnesses and you'll know where to start looking. Like how I was mentioning earlier that I can tell when my bike needs oil because the shifting starts to feel a little cranky. I think that being as intimately connected to the machine as you are with a motorcycle just gives you a deeper sensitivity to all the subtle noises and vibrations and sensations, so you automatically develop a sense of what's normal and abnormal.

It does help to have an experienced person around though. My students know that I ride motorcycles, so they will sometimes find me to chat with/show off to when they get their first bike, and a bunch of the time I go out to take a look and end up pointing out half a dozen little things that need to be adjusted that they just assumed were normal, like misadjusted cables or whatever.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Fun little interaction during the test ride: I was waiting in an intersection to make a left and a woman in an SUV creeps by me real slow at an angle, catches my mirror on hers, rolls over the side of my foot, nearly makes me drop my bike and hosed up my right mirror.

Welcome to motorcycling, lol. Rolling over your foot is a hell of a move; I probably would have punched her door or something for that one. Where were you in the lane? Proper technique (you may remember this from the MSF) is to assume a "blocking" position on the side of the lane that's closest to traffic -- so if you're in the left lane, that's the right side -- to discourage people from trying to share the lane with you and ooooohh just scoooooch by ya here *crunch* ooooops looks like i hit ya wooooooops my bad!!!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 27, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The clutch cable was the issue, the PO had it cranked as far over a possible. Loosened it up and went for a test ride and all the problems went away, even stuff I thought was just me being bad at motorcycles like stalling every time I take off from a light.

:hmmyes:

Good work. Now adjust the throttle cables and drum linkage, grease the lever and pedals, adjust the chain and prepare to learn to ride all over again because bikes that work properly are different to ride.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know I posted earlier about not wanting to ridie when I’m in a poo poo mood, but I had to put my dog down this morning and I was just so restless and numb all day afterward that I needed to get out of the house and took the bike out for an hour this evening and man — I don’t know if it’s because I just got to do something fun on such a lovely day but I just absolutely loved every second of it. I went and did a bunch of roundabouts and maybe being a little numb actually helped me because I wasn’t feeling all the anxiety about tipping and ended up doing some slower speed stuff pretty well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I assume you got her insurance and will take her to the cleaners for repairs and new shoes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

You know I posted earlier about not wanting to ridie when I’m in a poo poo mood, but I had to put my dog down this morning and I was just so restless and numb all day afterward that I needed to get out of the house and took the bike out for an hour this evening and man — I don’t know if it’s because I just got to do something fun on such a lovely day but I just absolutely loved every second of it. I went and did a bunch of roundabouts and maybe being a little numb actually helped me because I wasn’t feeling all the anxiety about tipping and ended up doing some slower speed stuff pretty well.

sorry man. dogs rule more than bikes. proud of you for occupying yourself though, does a soul good

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Losing your dog friend is always the worst, sorry to hear. Glad you got to get out of your head on your bike.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Losing a dog is one of the worst feelings and I'm really glad you found something to distract you from it.

I'm in hospital right now with some persistent stomach pain and all I wanna do is get out and ride, it was a beautiful sunny/cold day today.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

Edit: Actually that being said, I still won't put my phone on my handlebars unless I really need to. I just tether an old phone without service to my actual phone and keep that in my backpack.

This is the ticket. You can get something like a Galaxy S5 for under $100 on eBay, $50 if you’re lucky, they run Waze and the major apps you’d likely want, they’re waterproof, have a nice screen you can see outdoors and tether easily to your phone.

Run it all day and don’t give a poo poo if the camera breaks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks friends, I appreciate the kind words. I have two other dogs to lean on but I think what I kind of wanted to get across in that post was that I think some of my issues do stem from anxiety and overthinking things. When I went out with a somewhat numbed mind, and I'm trying to use that term carefully because there's more irresponsible ways of achieving the same thing, I tended to have a more productive experience by not overthinking it.

Unfortunately not overthinking it and reducing anxiety aren't things you can do on command, responsibly. I'm going to ask my doctor about general anxiety next time, but I also don't want to conflate "just being scared and cautious" with "oh I'm just anxious and meds might help me ride better" or something flippant like that.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
This is a very good set of videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9BsCeOl3tY, there's another similar set from about a year ago on their channel as well. Everyone could probably find something in them that they could do with being reminded of once in a while.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Midjack posted:

I assume you got her insurance and will take her to the cleaners for repairs and new shoes.

I'm in brooklyn, getting hit by cars is part of life. If it's a mode of transportation I've been hit by a car doing it - bicycle, skateboard, scooter... walking. The look on people's faces when they hit you is pretty great though.

Sagebrush posted:

Where were you in the lane? Proper technique (you may remember this from the MSF) is to assume a "blocking" position on the side of the lane that's closest to traffic -- so if you're in the left lane, that's the right side -- to discourage people from trying to share the lane with you and ooooohh just scoooooch by ya here *crunch* ooooops looks like i hit ya wooooooops my bad!!!

This was the problem, I was in "courteous driver" mindset and had moved over some. Oh well, no good deed and all that

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I touched the poop when Reddit Genius posted his brand new ZX6R last week and I’m still waking up to notifications from him:

quote:

Definition of relative: considered in relation or in proportion to something else.

The car beside my bike has over 350 hp. Do you need that much to go 75 mph? No, a civic can do that. Why do people buy lambos and Ferrari’s?

It’s not just speed that comes with a bigger bike. Build quality, handling, ergonomics, looks. Most of those are subjective but people like what they like. I think intellectual people can self govern. For this bike, you can ride more than 4K for the first 200-300 miles then nothing past 6-8k. I can’t and haven’t gone above 60 mph. If you’re dumb and naive enough not to respect the machine, yes it wouldn’t be a smart idea; then again a moped can get you killed just as well (shockingly, even a car).

I keep reading his stuff in Ben Shapiro’s voice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I respect my machine and still blip the throttle on accident when I went over a speed bump, every now and then. Was nothing on my 250, is slightly "oh poo poo yeah hold on, don't do that" on my torque-y 650. Not sure how bad it would be on a supersport if they're gutless under a certain RPM but that's a lot to leave to chance for a whiskey wrist.

Also man, everything slavvy and everyone else said about starting on a lighter bike has proven true. Not sure how a beginner can gauge "handling".

e: I'm assuming reddit genius is a beginner and his zx6r is his first bike, and that assumption is doing a lot of lifting on the above.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
First bike ever, brand new ZX6R, decided on it after everyone called him insane for wanting a liter as his first.

He then went on to idiot-splain why he’s going to be fine because he’s great at risk management and is still responding to a post I made about how he wouldn’t own that bike if any of that were true.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"I an intellectual...."

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm thinking of planning a bit of a longer haul on my bike for the beginning of September, but I'm a little hesitant. It'd be about 1300km (Ottawa to PEI) and am trying to decide if that's feasible for one long rip or if I'd be needing to plan for a room somewhere for a night, or even two nights, along the way. The longest I've been on a bike in a day has been about seven or eight hours and I was pretty beat up by the end. That wasn't a leisurely ride though so I hadn't taken enough breaks, not enough water, etc.

Should I be putting this on the back-burner until I've got more time on a bike? If it's something you all wouldn't immediately dissuade me from, what kind of tips would you give? I'm looking at picking up either a tank bag or tail bag, I'd be packing lots of water, snacks, multiple USB external batteries, I'd give my route to my friends/family, do multiple check-ins, map out gas stations on the way, and probably more stuff I've forgotten but have written down. I usually carry a back-pack but because of the length I was going to shift to either that tail bag or tank bag as my primary source of carrying anything.

Unrelated, I've ridden in the rain more in the last two weeks than I have the last two years on a motorcycle. I don't even have rain gear but I still love it, especially the sympathetic looks car drivers give when you make eye contact with them during a downpour.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No comment on specifics but there is zero chance I would do that in one shot. I've done six hours "leisurely" and my knees and arms are jelly. I'd probably die.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jcam posted:

I'm thinking of planning a bit of a longer haul on my bike for the beginning of September, but I'm a little hesitant. It'd be about 1300km (Ottawa to PEI) and am trying to decide if that's feasible for one long rip or if I'd be needing to plan for a room somewhere for a night, or even two nights, along the way. The longest I've been on a bike in a day has been about seven or eight hours and I was pretty beat up by the end. That wasn't a leisurely ride though so I hadn't taken enough breaks, not enough water, etc.

Should I be putting this on the back-burner until I've got more time on a bike? If it's something you all wouldn't immediately dissuade me from, what kind of tips would you give? I'm looking at picking up either a tank bag or tail bag, I'd be packing lots of water, snacks, multiple USB external batteries, I'd give my route to my friends/family, do multiple check-ins, map out gas stations on the way, and probably more stuff I've forgotten but have written down. I usually carry a back-pack but because of the length I was going to shift to either that tail bag or tank bag as my primary source of carrying anything.

Unrelated, I've ridden in the rain more in the last two weeks than I have the last two years on a motorcycle. I don't even have rain gear but I still love it, especially the sympathetic looks car drivers give when you make eye contact with them during a downpour.

Back brace, butt/crotch padding either in the form of shorts or some kind of saddle cover if you've got a stock seat. Plan at least two days. Get some energy gels in addition to the snacks, they're not necessary but a quick shot of fast-acting sugar is sometimes just what your brain needs.

Don't put bike trips on the back burner ever, just have reasonable expectations and plan a little extra time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

First bike ever, brand new ZX6R, decided on it after everyone called him insane for wanting a liter as his first.

He then went on to idiot-splain why he’s going to be fine because he’s great at risk management and is still responding to a post I made about how he wouldn’t own that bike if any of that were true.

Dunning-Kruger personified. Why is it always a kawasaki too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because “ninja” is the coolest bike name

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jcam posted:

I'm thinking of planning a bit of a longer haul on my bike for the beginning of September, but I'm a little hesitant. It'd be about 1300km (Ottawa to PEI) and am trying to decide if that's feasible for one long rip or if I'd be needing to plan for a room somewhere for a night, or even two nights, along the way.

1300 km in a day is doable but not fun. It'll be 12 hours of superslab at freeway speeds, stopping only for gas and fast food, and you'll be burnt out at the end. It's approaching an Iron Butt 1000 (1600 km in 24 hours).

If you plan for a hotel in the middle you can have two full days of taking the side roads and back highways at a more reasonable pace. You'll still be tired after 650 km / 400 miles but you won't be dead at the end, and the ride will be much prettier and more pleasant. Less wind blast, less traffic, more things to see, the opportunity to stop for a real lunch, etc.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because “ninja” is the coolest bike name

It's this

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jcam posted:

I *drove* from Edmonton to Vancouver in one day (~1100km) in a comfortable airconditioned car and I was totally beat the next day. Personally driving more than 6 hours becomes a chore and I wouldn't want to ride any longer than that.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

used some heavy duty earplugs today while on the highway and it made everything more comfortable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should absolutely be wearing earplugs any time you are going above like 50 miles an hour, and really it's a good idea just any time you're on the bike. Freeway wind noise is well above the hearing damage threshold, and once your hearing is gone it's gone for good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, my friend just bought her first bike and is doing our MSF equivalent in the next few days. She bought a ten year old Suzuki Marauder 250 and it's GORGEOUS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Apropos of nothing, my friend just bought her first bike and is doing our MSF equivalent in the next few days. She bought a ten year old Suzuki Marauder 250 and it's GORGEOUS.

I really, really like these. They are a gn250 engine in a sassy little fat tyre cruiser and it works amazingly well.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sagebrush posted:

You should absolutely be wearing earplugs any time you are going above like 50 miles an hour, and really it's a good idea just any time you're on the bike. Freeway wind noise is well above the hearing damage threshold, and once your hearing is gone it's gone for good.
Yeah for sure I had been wearing different levels of hearing protection on the moto already, and also even on my road bicycle when I'd do solo rides I generally wore earbuds because the wind is always there too, but decided to try some big burly ones on the moto and besides the engine noise they made riding on the highway so much chiller.

Also the slip on exhaust I put on my bike is so loving loud I'll probably go back to the OEM before looking for a longer pipe that's medium noisy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

what?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Beware. Near. Pugs.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ceV24iOn0

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I did my first night ride this evening. Started around sunset and rode out of town. At first all the lights were kind of a sensory overload, but then I got used to it. The hardest thing was getting a good idea where all the cars are around you in town. Darkness and bright headlights kinda flatten everything out. I usually have a really good "radar" during the day as far as where I am in relation to how the cars around me are moving, but it was much harder to tell at night how close behind me a car was in an adjacent lane.

Also showed me all the imperfections in my visor. Speaking of which, are some brands better at clarity than others? Or is it all same stuff?

I keep meaning to ask what yall do in this situation...if you have 2 turn lanes available (say left), do you typically take the outside one? Seems to me like there are more escape routes in the outside turn lane in case the car on the inside goes wide (because no one knows how to take a turn in their enormous vehicle). On the other hand, more likely to encounter some sort of path of travel violation from someone else turning/merging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I always take the inside lane unless I have a reason to be in the outside, eg immediately making a turn in the opposite direction. It’s much more likely for the inside car to run wide than the outside car to turn in.