Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

ZincBoy posted:

I have the Vivedino Troodon and it has been running fine for the last year or so. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it does not have a direct drive extruder and the Bowden tube is ridiculously long. Pla works fine but is suspect that PETG would be a challenge to avoid blobs and stringing everywhere.

That encouraging to hear. From what I’ve been reading, the current Troodons are now shipping with a cloned BMG direct drive extruder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/vivedino/vivedino-troodon

This says it's using an Orbiter v1.5, which is an excellent extruder. It has a few issues with the interior filament guide getting worn down, but it's a cheap and easy replacement and should be fixed in v2. (I have the v1, which has a metal guide).
Get the Dragon hotend (or better).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, I replaced the hotend on my prusa mk3, redid first layer calibration to look beautiful, and have a spotless and freshly washed build plate, and the front corners of my calibration cat are lifting.

I'm starting to think this is a roll of dodgy PLA, despite being jessie transitional. Any thoughts?

he's being printed at default size, at 215/60 degrees. i'm trying with a roll of black hatchbox right now to see if it fares any better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Did you redo your hotend PIDs? (That is a thing on Prusa's, right?)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Did you redo your hotend PIDs? (That is a thing on Prusa's, right?)

I did, recalibrated at 215.

It also has a Temperature Calibration feature for the pinda sensor, but the one time i calibrated it and turned it on, i made air spaghetti, so i don't use it.

The hatchbox test has only printed his little feet so far, but they appear to be sticking. I may have just gotten a dodgy roll of jessie transitional. More on this as it develops.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The last two transition rolls I've tried to use were kind of terrible. One had wildly inconsistent diameter, to the point where the extruder motor was skipping intermittently as it tried to push through the fatter spots, and the other one was so damp right out of the box that I just shitcanned it. I've got like eight more of them laying around here too, and I'm kind of hesitant to use any of them now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It's also harder to see potential warping on black filament, so i'll have to wait for him to finish to really compare the two.

Edit: hmm, he doesn't seem to be any better. I think I'm gonna send this printer through a full refresh to eliminate any possible gremlins from firmware, calibrations, etc.

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/full-system-refresh-original-prusa-i3_133258

i dont have a photo, but the angle of warp is about the same from the jessie to the hatchbox, so i think something about my settings might be off.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 26, 2021

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/vivedino/vivedino-troodon

This says it's using an Orbiter v1.5, which is an excellent extruder. It has a few issues with the interior filament guide getting worn down, but it's a cheap and easy replacement and should be fixed in v2. (I have the v1, which has a metal guide).
Get the Dragon hotend (or better).

Thanks for mentioning this! I have ordered the upgrade kit so I can fix my main issue with the printer.

The only other issue that I have had is with the filament run out sensor. The spring for the switch is strong enough that filament tends to break in the sensor itself. This only happens with filament that has absorbed some moisture. Still for the one time I actually ran out of filament, I think it has tripped 20 times due to the filament breaking in the sensor.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, I don't know if it was firmware cruft or just doing a full recalibrate, but cat appears to be sticking properly now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s something really awesome about saying to yourself, “oh dang, I need another one of these weird custom pieces I made a couple years back” and then you just hop on your printer‘s web interface, go to that project’s folder, find the thing, and come back an hour later to retrieve another of the weird custom piece you made a couple years back.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's a good, easy to use, free program for 3D modelling? Or at least low-cost if free isn't an option?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

What's a good, easy to use, free program for 3D modelling? Or at least low-cost if free isn't an option?

sketchup?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Solidworks if you can get the $20 license. (Student? Military?)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Randalor posted:

Fusion 360 is the go to for free modeling software for 3d printing.

Solidworks is great if you can get a cheap license, but IIRC the student license is now $100?

Bad Munki posted:

There’s something really awesome about saying to yourself, “oh dang, I need another one of these weird custom pieces I made a couple years back” and then you just hop on your printer‘s web interface, go to that project’s folder, find the thing, and come back an hour later to retrieve another of the weird custom piece you made a couple years back.

Bonus if you've improved your slicer/tuning and the new one turns out better than the original.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bondematt posted:

Bonus if you've improved your slicer/tuning and the new one turns out better than the original.

Perhaps, although it was exceptionally nice to not even bother firing up the slicer and going through those few extra steps. Just find the object in your library, print, and go gently caress off for a few minutes. Amazing.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Randalor posted:

Hard to recommend a single product without knowing more about what you wanna do with it, what the end application is, what kind of learning curve you’re willing to deal with, etc. Fusion360 is the most likely answer to your question, but I would check out the CAD megathread I posted a while back, it may tell you what you want to know- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Deviant posted:

sketchup?

do not attempt to create 3D printable models with sketchup

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does there exist a blender config file for doing 3d printed stuff

I was looking at a tutorial and it looked like there were 70 things you had to set very exactly

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I use Blender to make things, but that's for sculptures and not anything that requires exacting dimensions. I just remesh everything to make sure it's manifold and export it as an STL and worry about sizing it inside of the slicer.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 27, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've been using Blender and I'm pretty happy with it. I found these videos for setting it up for 3d printing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqDnLg3o9WE

After I've created something (or hacked something together) I run it through 3d builder and then it's ready to print.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I use OnShape because I’m freaky like that.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

god help me, I just downloaded freecad (realthunder branch)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's the video I watched, my eyes glazed over at about minute 8 of adjusting the 59th setting. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo. Babies are exhausting

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Hard to recommend a single product without knowing more about what you wanna do with it, what the end application is, what kind of learning curve you’re willing to deal with, etc. Fusion360 is the most likely answer to your question, but I would check out the CAD megathread I posted a while back, it may tell you what you want to know- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532

The CAD thread has some real wisdom.

I am new to modelling in the last three weeks, and Autodesk 360's free personal license is working well enough for me with the help of a few YouTube videos. I'm a software engineer, and it's close though to concepts I can wrap my head around, but has some serious limitations to me, like burying the math/parameters.

I've played around with a few other free things, but I wanted something relatively powerful even if it has a somewhat weird niche or learning curve. I get the feeling like 360 doesn't know what it's good at.

I've only made a couple enclosures / ePaper frames, so by no means am an expert.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BMan posted:

do not attempt to create 3D printable models with sketchup

As someone who learned sketchup because woodworking and refuses to learn a second program

Jesus Christ do not learn sketchup

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BMan posted:

god help me, I just downloaded freecad (realthunder branch)

Please don't install; it's capable, but a mess.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I literally just noticed the "enable autosleep" toggle in Duet3D. Looked into what it does, just runs sleep.g after a print finishes. Oh, sweet, I would love it if I could set my printer to shut down everything down after finishing in some cases, let's see what's in there now:

quote:

Oh. Nothing. Okay, a quick look at the gcode reference and I run into M81: ATX Power Off, which as of RRF 1.20, accepts S1 = "turn power off when all thermostatic fans have turned off". Sweet! I think that's exactly what I want! Let the extruder cool down until its thermostatic fan shuts off on its own, and at that point, turn off the ATX power supply and go into sleep mode. But of course I'm nervous about issuing any sort of power off command with a hot extruder. Can someone sanity check this?

sleep.g:
code:
M106 P2 S0  	        ; turn off layer fan, just to make it quieter as we cool off
M81 S1 			; deferred power down after extruder fan has shut off
And a snippet from config.g where the extruder's fan is defined and set as a thermostatic fan:
code:
; Hot End Heater, Sensor, Fans
M308 S1 P"e0temp" Y"thermistor" T100000 B4725 C7.06e-8 A"Extruder" ; old: B4388
M950 H1 C"e0heat" T1
M143 H1 S280 P1 A1						; Set temperature limit for heater 1 to 250C
M307 H1 B0 S1.00 						; disable bang-bang mode for heater and set PWM limit
M950 F0 C"fan0"							; Define F0 as extruder fan
M106 P0 H1 T45 S255 L255 C"Extruder" 	                        ; enable thermostatic mode for fan 0, turn on when e0 hits 45
M950 F2 C"fan2"							; Define F2 as layer fan
M106 P2 H-1 C"Layer"			      		        ; disable thermostatic mode for fan 2
So with that config, issuing that M81 S1 command should power everything down once the extruder fan shuts off I think?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 27, 2021

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Hadlock posted:

Does there exist a blender config file for doing 3d printed stuff

I was looking at a tutorial and it looked like there were 70 things you had to set very exactly

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that's the video I watched, my eyes glazed over at about minute 8 of adjusting the 59th setting. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo. Babies are exhausting
I am using blender for all my stl editing/creating needs and I changed maybe 3 settings, one of which was turning off the splash screen.
There are a lot of things that don't work like I want them to but for some things Blender is really awesome and you don't need to know a lot. However, you need to know specific things and I can't imagine learning those pieces from youtube videos.
What's really easy is making parts from a model change in size or disappear.

Some examples, I made this fridge handle from scratch using basic shapes and curves:

I often take parts from different models and weld them together, like this v-slot insert with a mounting part.

I edited the scale, made a recess into the stump so the owl doesn't fall off easily and made holes so the lightbulb and stuff could fit in:

I am not very good, but good enough to help with some basic questions. If someone has a concrete example of what they want to do I'm up for trying it out and then explain via streaming or whatever. Or give a basic overview about the functions I use all the time. And if I can't help, at least it won't take over 18 minutes to realize that. PM is also ok.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah mainly I just want to generate an STL, for example, a 2x2" square plate about 3mm thick, with a smaller 1/2" hollow square that's about 1" tall, in the middle of the plate, wall thickness also about 3mm, so I can glue that to the deck of the boat and stick the vertical mast in it, aka "mast step". Not much different from a patio umbrella stand.

The blender guy makes it sound like you have to modify a billion settings so that the STL file comes out the correct dimensions

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Hadlock posted:

Yeah mainly I just want to generate an STL, for example, a 2x2" square plate about 3mm thick, with a smaller 1/2" hollow square that's about 1" tall, in the middle of the plate, wall thickness also about 3mm, so I can glue that to the deck of the boat and stick the vertical mast in it, aka "mast step". Not much different from a patio umbrella stand.

The blender guy makes it sound like you have to modify a billion settings so that the STL file comes out the correct dimensions

That's a 3 minute thing. I have to admit I don't know if Blender can work with inches, I use millimeters.
Do you use Discord? I usually don't, but RabbitWizard#7565

Edit: Like this? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4918148
Edit2: Math is hard, I made a dumb. Fixed now, preview may show the wrong thing still.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 27, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Short term goal was to make custom bits for minis, the one I have in mind for my first project I'm pretty sure would ultimately just be spheres, cylinders, rectangles and cones (converting an Imperial Knight Armiger into an Epic40k-style Hell Strider specifically). I'll look into people's recommendations this weekend, I'm just too busy at work this week to fiddle with the programs until then.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I use OpenSCAD but I'm a software developer with a background in functional programming, and that's a pretty narrow demographic.

Bad Munki posted:

I have a coffee grinder handle with a 3d printed prototype. Haven't had time to design the improved version with bearings and the first prototype was wearing out so I could just... print another. Those files still exist. Not ideal but if another 6 months pass before I finish the design, I'll just spend another < $0.25 to print again

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Randalor posted:

Short term goal was to make custom bits for minis, the one I have in mind for my first project I'm pretty sure would ultimately just be spheres, cylinders, rectangles and cones (converting an Imperial Knight Armiger into an Epic40k-style Hell Strider specifically). I'll look into people's recommendations this weekend, I'm just too busy at work this week to fiddle with the programs until then.

There's a pretty big difference between 3D programs designed for CAD work and 3D programs designed for digital sculpting. Based on your mini comment I would imagine you're leaning more into the digital sculpting direction and as such would highly recommend blender. It's free, but there's a significant learning curve to it (which is going to be there for any digital sculpting program).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll check it out. Like I said, the original idea is very... basic in what I need (we're talking adaptingsomething made back in the 80's/90's at a 30mm size, so it's fairly light on fine details, to something that's about 6" tall), so I'm hoping that it'll be a good starting point for learning the program.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

This is exactly what the CAD-based modeling tools (Fusion 360 etc) are intended for. Draw a 2D sketch of your part with dimensions and hit the extrude button and you are there.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Serenade posted:

I use OpenSCAD but I'm a software developer with a background in functional programming, and that's a pretty narrow demographic.
Something to consider for those looking into OpenSCAD when comparing CAD programs: In terms of capabilities and productivity, it's not in the same league as programs like Fusion, Inventor, and SolidWorks. I took a snipe at FreeCAD earlier for its messy UI, but I'd recommend FreeCAD over OpenSCAD. You'll find working with practical designs frustrating and slow, and may hit roadblocks. This applies even to someone with a background in coding. I'm posting this because this isn't immediately obvious from articles comparing various CAD platforms.

Blender is outstanding, but it's more for creative designs. This might apply to a 3d print! If you're making a part, use a CAD program. If making something artistic, use Blender.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 27, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
OpenSCAD is something for simple procedural things. If you need to start addressing specific edges or vertices, be it for simple fillets or defining feature aligned planes, you're in a world of hurt. That is, if it's even possible to address specific part features in OpenSCAD. (Is it? I don't know.)

Do poo poo like this in OpenSCAD:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The biggest advantage I've found to using Blender is that the community is huge. Anytime I need to know how to do something new, a quick google search will produce three videos, a redit post and a well documented wiki with detailed instructions.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
OpenSCAD has a teeny tiny "genuinely the right tool for the job" niche that will not come up for most people, and its CAD functionality is extremely primitive. Also it's a nightmare to use if you're not a programmer first and foremost. Sketchup has absolutely nothing going for it in 2021 for this purpose. Blender doesn't sound like a good fit for your needs either, although it ought to be capable of what you want. Just grab Fusion360, imo, it can do what you want in a straightforward way but is much more powerful if you want to start making better designs (once you fillet up a blocky model for the first time you'll see the appeal of a more robust CAD platform, even if you're mostly working with primitives.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pro-tip for Klipper users, that use a NTC100K beta 3950 thermistor. Apparently the beta calculation generates values, while mathematically correct, that are bad in the regions where you might run your hotend at.

Over here I've apparently been printing at 260°C while 245°C was displayed.

This is a correct(er) thermistor definition:

code:
[thermistor NTC100K_b3950_3point]
temperature1: 20
resistance1: 125245
temperature2: 80
resistance2: 12540
temperature3: 220
resistance3: 396