Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Jesus tapdancing Christ, that's just setting money on fire. How much is this idiot overpaying total?

Honda offered me 1.5% interest when I bought a new bike in 2016, so I financed 2/3 of the purchase price over 24 months. And still felt pretty weird about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

What is the "oilpatch" is that working the oil fields in the Dakotas?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Rofl

There's only a price crash every six years, what could go wrong with a 7 year 19% loan

I kinda feel bad for the poor guy, getting taken advantage of like that. Still loving funny though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Gorson posted:

What is the "oilpatch" is that working the oil fields in the Dakotas?

The oil and gas industry as a whole (or just an area where oil is produced) but I'm assuming they're in Alberta since they said kilometers.

Phy posted:

Rofl

There's only a price crash every six years, what could go wrong with a 7 year 19% loan

The oil and gas industry is the most cyclical business in which I've ever worked. Maybe real estate is just as bad but I'm pretty sure O&G has it beat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ, that's just setting money on fire. How much is this idiot overpaying total?

Honda offered me 1.5% interest when I bought a new bike in 2016, so I financed 2/3 of the purchase price over 24 months. And still felt pretty weird about it

If he finished out his loan payments he'd be into it for nearly twice the price of the bike

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

As an again single bitter rear end in a top hat, this post probably gives my cold dead heart a little too much joy

:rip:

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

being in and around scottsdale Arizona is the icing on the cake with that posting.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

As an again single bitter rear end in a top hat, this post probably gives my cold dead heart a little too much joy

:rip:
Or maybe you just found your soulmate.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

yummycheese posted:

being in and around scottsdale Arizona is the icing on the cake with that posting.

Peak loving Snottsdale

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Welp

CBR300R got stolen. So long old friend, I loved you dearly.

Which brings us to a philosophical question:

What does anyone even make anymore that is like a Sachs Madass? Googling this question seems impossible because you are instantly buried under a mountain of people who don't know what words like "scooter" "moped" and "4 stroke" mean.

Edit: ideally available in the US

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Mirconium posted:

What does anyone even make anymore that is like a Sachs Madass?

GROM

I had a NSR50 for a couple years, and the tiny Hondas are a hoot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mirconium posted:

Welp

CBR300R got stolen. So long old friend, I loved you dearly.

Which brings us to a philosophical question:

What does anyone even make anymore that is like a Sachs Madass? Googling this question seems impossible because you are instantly buried under a mountain of people who don't know what words like "scooter" "moped" and "4 stroke" mean.

Edit: ideally available in the US

Honestly, probably and e-mountain bike.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Honestly, probably and e-mountain bike.

Out of curiosity I looked up some, and holy poo poo the prices on emtbs are BANANAS.

I mean the aforementioned madass was like ~3k or something. For CONSIDERABLY slower bikes with presumably similar suspension and brake quality, and with much less metal in the frame, spcialized and trek and whoever are charging like... 5-8k.

I mean gently caress at those prices might as well just go get yourself the Zero.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

E bike prices are absurd but those high end mountain bikes probably have significantly nicer suspension than a Grom or Madass.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Yall got opinions about the sur-ron x? Is it going to catch fire because it's suspiciously cheap and electric?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Mirconium posted:

Yall got opinions about the sur-ron x? Is it going to catch fire because it's suspiciously cheap and electric?

It rips and I have seen it beat smaller dirt bikes off road it just rides nothing like an ice bike according to the owner

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Mirconium posted:

Out of curiosity I looked up some, and holy poo poo the prices on emtbs are BANANAS.

I mean the aforementioned madass was like ~3k or something. For CONSIDERABLY slower bikes with presumably similar suspension and brake quality, and with much less metal in the frame, spcialized and trek and whoever are charging like... 5-8k.

I mean gently caress at those prices might as well just go get yourself the Zero.

I met someone who has a $14k e-mtb and while I'm sure it's amazing, you can get A LOT of motorcycle at that price point

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The pricing and general feel of e-bikes and high end mtb's comes across as basically conning wealthy people into buying something that looks like a motorcycle and costs like a motorcycle but is in fact a bicycle that costs nothing near a motorcycle to produce. There seems to be no middle market also, it's all either terrible steel shitters from china for $200 or $5k plus for a loving bicycle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The pricing and general feel of e-bikes and high end mtb's comes across as basically conning wealthy people into buying something that looks like a motorcycle and costs like a motorcycle but is in fact a bicycle that costs nothing near a motorcycle to produce. There seems to be no middle market also, it's all either terrible steel shitters from china for $200 or $5k plus for a loving bicycle.

I heard a thing about those peloton exercise bike things. They cost around $500 to build, and they were initially selling them for a grand. They nearly went broke because nobody bought them. Then they took the exact same bike and charged 4 grand for it, or whatever they cost now, and they sell every one they make faster than they can make them.
That aside, there's a really important reason e-bikes of any sort are more expensive than they should be. Food delivery. Doordash, Uber eats, deliveroo, all those people are happy to drop 3-4 grand on an e-bike that requires no license, insurance, or gas. You don't need parking, you can charge it inside your apartment. There is no way a used motorbike can compete with that. They could charge double and still sell them, because the overhead is so much less than the alternative.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Mirconium posted:

They seem to actually be a unicorn; cheap, good quality fun bike that's neither an emtb nor an electric motorbike but somewhere in between.
I'd like one.
They sold well enough that there is a lot of market data.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I heard a thing about those peloton exercise bike things. They cost around $500 to build, and they were initially selling them for a grand. They nearly went broke because nobody bought them. Then they took the exact same bike and charged 4 grand for it, or whatever they cost now, and they sell every one they make faster than they can make them.
That aside, there's a really important reason e-bikes of any sort are more expensive than they should be. Food delivery. Doordash, Uber eats, deliveroo, all those people are happy to drop 3-4 grand on an e-bike that requires no license, insurance, or gas. You don't need parking, you can charge it inside your apartment. There is no way a used motorbike can compete with that. They could charge double and still sell them, because the overhead is so much less than the alternative.

But the irony with that is that utility ebikes have totally sane prices! Rad will sell you what looks like a pretty respectable cargo bike for like 1800 bucks. The NYC Arrows have a rep for being in a similar price range. So it seems like for people with skin in the game the market is basically sensible.

I mean maybe the bottom line here is that I don't need an emtb with full suspension? It seems like the insanity only starts when you have a shock, hardtail ebikes are basically fine, but as soon as you add a couple of springs suddenly it's loving pandemonium.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

“It was interesting psychology that we teased out,” Peloton CEO John Foley recalled in an interview last year with Yahoo Finance. “In the very, very early days, we charged $1,200 for the Peloton bike for the first couple of months. And what turned out happening is we heard from customers that the bike must be poorly built if you’re charging $1,200 for it. We charged $2,000 dollars for it, and sales increased, because people said, ‘Oh, it must be a quality bike.’”

Brokebrains

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

“It was interesting psychology that we teased out,” Peloton CEO John Foley recalled in an interview last year with Yahoo Finance. “In the very, very early days, we charged $1,200 for the Peloton bike for the first couple of months. And what turned out happening is we heard from customers that the bike must be poorly built if you’re charging $1,200 for it. We charged $2,000 dollars for it, and sales increased, because people said, ‘Oh, it must be a quality bike.’”

Brokebrains

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

People don't get en emtb because they think it's a motorcycle. They mostly buy them because they are old and need the pedal assist to keep having fun on the trails (there's no throttle on any emtb that comes from a bicycle company).

A quality full suspension mtb starts around 3k, there are some bikes below that but they are built to a price point and you will break stuff or have suspension that will need frequent upkeep if you're really romping on it. So the fact that you can get an emtb for 5k is pretty awesome. Also shops margins on most bikes and especially ebikes are in the 28% to 35% range for a bicycle shop.

For middle ground bikes, you can get a hard tail mountain bike under 2k with alright spec.

I don't think it's useful to compare it to motorcycles, you can have multiple hobbies where you spend a lot of money.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 28, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bicycle chat:

I had a £1000 Canondale road bike with flat bars. Hated it, particularly the gear changing.
Got a £100 No Logo singlespeed as a second bike, from a colleague. No gears. A+, love it, super simple and bombproof. The 4 Seasons tyres on it are worth more than the bike. As is the front light. As is the bicycle GPS.

Sold the Canondale for £750 just after lockdown, for a 5 year old bicycle.

I tried an e road bicycle recently. Really liked it. This one: https://www.stirlingcycles.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/2021-merida-espresso-city-700eq--small--blacksilver__23554 (but in Large).
Not paying £3500 for one though!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I would encourage everyone to try a fancy pedal assist e bicycle. I've never heard anyone say they didn't enjoy riding one.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I’ve owned and raced on $800 mountain bicycles and $3500 mountain bicycles and the difference is real.

If you don’t need that kind of suspension and drivetrain performance on your bicycle rides then of course this is ridiculous and you should rather spend the money on a nice motorcycle. Most people will never need more than a $200 Walmart bicycle to suit their needs. But I’m currently riding a $2400 cyclocross bicycle and I am extremely satisfied with my purchase because I’m into that poo poo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I would encourage everyone to try a fancy pedal assist e bicycle. I've never heard anyone say they didn't enjoy riding one.

I rode a Rad Power bike and it's pretty ridiculous. The thing is heavy as hell and I'm very out of cardio shape but I was going up steep hills way faster than you'd think possible (granted, with some effort pedaling, I did break a sweat). They would have been a game changer before I could drive, although we still got around in bikes despite the hills then because you had no alternative.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I rode a Rad Power bike and it's pretty ridiculous. The thing is heavy as hell and I'm very out of cardio shape but I was going up steep hills way faster than you'd think possible (granted, with some effort pedaling, I did break a sweat). They would have been a game changer before I could drive, although we still got around in bikes despite the hills then because you had no alternative.

We were considering the Rad Power radwagon for my partner, they're priced really well. But I think she really wants a Specialized Como, so I'm getting an order in for the trim level she wants, they're selling like hot cakes.

If I fit the radwagon, i'd probably get one for me, but i think I'm too tall. I need to ride the one my friends have.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

People don't get en emtb because they think it's a motorcycle. They mostly buy them because they are old and need the pedal assist to keep having fun on the trails

I got mine cause the ride up is not as fun as the ride down lol

e bikes rule

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For sure! That's one of the nice things, you can be out longer and have more fun. What kind do you have?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

:byodood:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I might get an ebike (or 2) at some point using the Scottish Government interest free loan for one.
https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/travel/financial-support/grants-and-loans/

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’m buying kiddo an electric balance bike for her 4th birthday, and then probably gonna get myself an oset or sur-ron so I can ride places with her, then a ute to take them places.

That is, provided I can find one.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 30, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao good luck dude. I mean that sincerely cause it sounds like you could actually use one, unlike the fuckwits driving up prices to absurd heights.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Where is our e-Grom

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honda you cowards

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

For sure! That's one of the nice things, you can be out longer and have more fun. What kind do you have?

I've had a couple. mostly all chinese (all the motors at least)

sondors thin (best $600 I've ever spent lol)
evelo delta X I think? had the nuvinci CVT or whatever they call it. mid drive, super fun lol got stolen and apartment insurance cut me a check for $4k which I used as a downpayment on my 1290 SAR lol
currently using a hardtail surface 604. it's a hub motor with a pretty drat good torque sensor, but it was cheap used (fixed the planetary gears myself) and I can run plus size tires on it which is nice for when I'd go gently caress around in the sand at the coast. I love it. only thing I'd change is some new forks. the rock shocks on my evelo delta were too loving good, but I find myself using it less and less out here in TN

when I get back to OR I will 100% be buy like a turbo levo or something stupid expensive. I road one that a buddy had out in central OR iirc and it was wild lol

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Lmao good luck dude. I mean that sincerely cause it sounds like you could actually use one, unlike the fuckwits driving up prices to absurd heights.

Yeah, it’s nuts. Probably gonna get a crewman commodore and hope it does ok down metal roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mirconium posted:

They've been out for a couple years now and people seem to really like them for what they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DzZK7UpNE