Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'm the clothes pins map holder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My current map solution is kind of garbo and I think clothes-pinning maps to the top flap of my tank bag would be an improvement.

That’s less about how good a solution it is and more about how unusable small and narrow the Cortech map flap is.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ulf posted:

My current map solution is kind of garbo and I think clothes-pinning maps to the top flap of my tank bag would be an improvement.

That’s less about how good a solution it is and more about how unusable small and narrow the Cortech map flap is.

Is yours also inexplicably tapered? Those cortech map sleeves were designed by someone who exclusively navigates with their phone. On mine, the drat zipper is a full inch shorter than the length of the actual pocket, so it’s a fuckin ship in a bottle exercise to get a map in and fold it back out flat if your map is bigger than say a post it note.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, irritating taper and a thick Velcro flap that couldn’t be more in the way and hard to use. Good bag otherwise but I don’t use my phone when touring, just paper maps, so it’s annoying.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Slow me to present the greatest tank bag ever ( :rip: Teknik, you were too good for the world)

3 pieces, magnetic base with straps, plus two zippered bags of holding; could use either with the base or combine the two for max storage. Each part had a zippered map sleeve that could hold letter size paper.

8.5" x 11" paper for scale:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any bag made when the average person idea of navigation was "print a mapquest page" is gonna be amazing for holding maps

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I can't even imagine the process of looking down at a map for navigation while riding.

A lot of things on this bike are loving weird but having Apple CarPlay is amazing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I can't even imagine the process of looking down at a map for navigation while riding.

A lot of things on this bike are loving weird but having Apple CarPlay is amazing.

All I see is:

Makes me want one more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now I desperately want a single din CarPlay unit to put where the tape deck is on the Goldwing

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Magnetic bags don't work on aluminum :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://i.imgur.com/kJb8ubV.mp4

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Now that is skill.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How to fix a broken exhaust stud the complete overkill way. Also he works one stuck bolt out by hand and gets the intake screws with an impact driver, which is more like what a mere mortal can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOina5ULZo

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 27, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Why didn't he just ride around it? Idiot.

toni bou is so absurdly good.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

The design of this course implies there are more people that can do this? I was amazed before he turned around and did the whole thing again from the other side.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The thing with trials videos is you know exactly what’s coming but it’s still mind blowing.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The thing with trials videos is you know exactly what’s coming but it’s still mind blowing.

You know that everyone else who does it is going to get docked a few faults, then when it's Toni's turn he's going to clean every section because the he's more machine than man. He/It is SO good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

Magnetic bags don't work on aluminum :(
That's what the straps are for!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

The design of this course implies there are more people that can do this? I was amazed before he turned around and did the whole thing again from the other side.

The courses are designed to get progressively more difficult until the last section, which is basically impossible, so the result is determined by who lasts the longest before falling.

Toni bou breaks this system by being able to clean run every section every time no matter how brutal, because he isn't human.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I love Trials both motorcycles and bicycles.

https://youtu.be/JnA4P2AX1yo?t=14394

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 27, 2021

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
What's wild to me about the bicycle trials is that they aren't pedaling/spinning the back wheel for a boost, just jumping with their legs. I can't even jump those distances without a bike.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

T Zero posted:

What's wild to me about the bicycle trials is that they aren't pedaling/spinning the back wheel for a boost, just jumping with their legs. I can't even jump those distances without a bike.

They do though. They're just not doing obvious full pedal revolutions or anything, just small kicks simultaneously while they also jump with their legs. They even make special freewheels for trials with lots of extra teeth and pawls inside that sound like bees when they're coasting so that there's less free play in the pedals before they engage.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

They are making very small inputs on the cranks with a very small gear (and what Dog Case mentioned) so they are able to put a ton of torque through the drive train at exact moments they need it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Humans are very torquey, we just can’t apply that torque over a high speed, which is why we don’t make much horsepower.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Humans are very torquey, we just can’t apply that torque over a high speed, which is why we don’t make much horsepower.

I remember one of the bike mags put a cyclist on a dyno and yeah, they were putting out big Harley levels of torque, but it was a touch peaky.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We have a big fat moment arm (moment leg?) through which to apply power

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
That makes it all the more impressive that they're putting out so much power but you can barely perceive their legs or the wheel moving.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember one of the bike mags put a cyclist on a dyno and yeah, they were putting out big Harley levels of torque, but it was a touch peaky.

Isn't a typical "stroker" engine even just 3 inches (75mm) of piston travel? On a bicycle with the seat properly height-adjusted, legs can go up and down more than an entire foot (300mm). JSB is right though, maximum RPM is gonna be around 100 before your knees eject themselves from their sockets.

...Isn't there a formula for the maximum piston speed manufacturers want to aim for in a cylinder? Right in the middle of a stroke is when it's moving the fastest; it achieves the speed sooner in the RPM range with a long-stroke piston, and much later on in a short-stroke engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

That makes it all the more impressive that they're putting out so much power but you can barely perceive their legs or the wheel moving.

It's not power, it's torque. Torque is twist force and yeah humans can make a lot. Power is work, in this case torque, done over time, which humans are super bad at. Otoh a small 2t can be stalled by a spanner pull at idle, but will happily out-pull a fleet of single teste'd spandex roid sperm when it's on song, because it makes thousands of tiny pedal turns instead of a small amount of really big ones.

Slide Hammer posted:

Isn't a typical "stroker" engine even just 3 inches (75mm) of piston travel? On a bicycle with the seat properly height-adjusted, legs can go up and down more than an entire foot (300mm). JSB is right though, maximum RPM is gonna be around 100 before your knees eject themselves from their sockets.

...Isn't there a formula for the maximum piston speed manufacturers want to aim for in a cylinder? Right in the middle of a stroke is when it's moving the fastest; it achieves the speed sooner in the RPM range with a long-stroke piston, and much later on in a short-stroke engine.

It's largely about bore/stroke ratio, 75mm is like a 5L v8's worth of stroke because to have a reasonable b/s you'd need like a 60mm bore at least, I'm not sure even a Harley big twin moves that far. Generally most performance engines on cars and bikes settle around 1:1 ratio, some go super over-square in search of diminishing gains (panigale v2), others go slightly under-square trying to shore up low-range torque (r6).

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It's not power, it's torque. Torque is twist force and yeah humans can make a lot. Power is work, in this case torque, done over time, which humans are super bad at. Otoh a small 2t can be stalled by a spanner pull at idle, but will happily out-pull a fleet of single teste'd spandex roid sperm when it's on song, because it makes thousands of tiny pedal turns instead of a small amount of really big ones.

So time is not the denominator here? My thought was that they must be applying a lot of torque over an extremely short period of time in order to get the bikes to leap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No you're on the right track, the key is the

T Zero posted:

short period of time

They're applying maximum torque for a tiny period of time, but because power = tq x time, the actual power output is really low. If they could do that amount of torque, for a full revolution, while pedalling at several thousand rpm, they'd have ice-like power. Afaik peak rpm on a late model homo sapiens is like 100.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You can get 110-120 rpm on a bike during a sprint pretty easily if you’re a regular cyclist, but not for very long. World class sprinters can reach 130+ and maintain above 110 for longer periods in higher gears.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets assume 80 ftlbs? Thats 1.7HP according to this: https://spicerparts.com/calculators/horsepower-torque-calculator

Nice!

I would imagine that sustained at high speeds, your torque is much lower, 30ftlb? Thats 0.6HP which makes more sense

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

He's a world class track cyclist

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRWWlvaJfLK/

130rpm is totally doable even being a regular cyclist, but you gotta work on that skill like anything else and yeah it's hard to do for longer than 20 to 30 seconds. I routinely see teenagers with junior gears spinning their little hearts and lungs out on fast group rides at 110+ especially if they fall out of the draft.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 30, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess when you factor in weight, you could have a situation where a powerful cyclist + bicycle combo has a comparable p:w to a scooter.

Let's say nominally 80kg combined rider bike weight with about 1.8hp at peak vs 3.5hp and a combined ~160kg (based on a Honda today 4t), it'd be pretty close for a bit!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dogs.

Not pictured, the dog I saw precariously standing on the tank a few weeks back. I am pretty sure my dog would absolutely hate being on a bike, and even if she didn't, I think I would be too worried about something happening to even try!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Race ready. RACE READY.

This DR is perfection, look at those colors.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Revvik posted:

Race ready. RACE READY.

This DR is perfection, look at those colors.

woah nice

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Guess it will play in Peoria!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That DR looks amazing