Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

Can't remember who it was, but recently WWE tried to woo someone into signing/re-signing by offering them first class airline privileges.

Champions get that and people have wondered since the belts got watered down how much they've watered down that perk, or how much they limited it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

I hope it was the Blue Meanie.

Now that I think about it, I think it was from The Young Bucks' book. HHH offered them First Class accommodations on airlines, which I'm sure would've endeared them to the locker room (which has this weird culture where you can't sit in first class because it makes you appear that you think you're better than everyone else)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fangrel?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Red posted:

Fangrel?

Fangrel & Bangrel

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Which wrestlers are considered out and out good people in the industry? Like, zero sleaze or people ragging on them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everybody. i was trying to talk about the above topic and how much people actively want to find dirt on anybody, and in doing so became the dirt digger myself. no one did it yet, and then i did it. i don't want to live that way

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 24, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mickie james, minoru suzuki

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Has anyone ever asked Paul Wight about WWE trying to force the Yes chant on to him?

I know they had him do a bunch of stupid, humiliating poo poo but that had to be incredibly awkward in a different sort of way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Manwithastick posted:

Which wrestlers are considered out and out good people in the industry? Like, zero sleaze or people ragging on them

Eddie Kingston is widely considered to be a really good guy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Manwithastick posted:

I recall that Titus O'Neil is universally considered to be a wonderful human being.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Manwithastick posted:

foley, molly holly

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How does AEW manage to keep existing talent happy (assuming they actually do) with the rolling influx of new big names? Workers could be forgiven for getting a bit dispirited when they've been working hard to get to the top of the card and build the promotion only for, say, Punk/Bryan (and many previous signees) to come in and potentially take their spot? I guess that's just business...?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

How does AEW manage to keep existing talent happy (assuming they actually do) with the rolling influx of new big names? Workers could be forgiven for getting a bit dispirited when they've been working hard to get to the top of the card and build the promotion only for, say, Punk/Bryan (and many previous signees) to come in and potentially take their spot? I guess that's just business...?

By all accounts AEW has a very positive work environment and also most likely because they can trust that AEW doesn't bring in the big names to bury the rest of the roster but rather to elevate them and build them up as future stars.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The nature of AEW is that nobody really has a "spot". They rotate people in and out consistently, and new signees still have to work their way up to get title shots instead of just being handed out to the new famous guy. So far I don't think anybody's come in and gotten hotshotted into a spot they didn't earn, and you'd be hard pressed to say that anyone stole anyone else's push.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like, if you look at the big mainstream established names AEW has signed the pattern becomes apparent. They brought in Sting, but Sting isn't there to be world champ, he's there to get Darby over. They brought in Christian, and right now he's working alongside Jungle Boy to get him over. Jericho was world champ when the promotion was starting up and the title needed legitimacy, but right now he's there to get MJF and Sammy Guevara over.

With Punk and Bryan I expect both of them to get Big Plat at some point if they sign just because of how big they are, but in the process I also expect them to elevate some of the guys who will carry the promotion five to ten years from now.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Manwithastick posted:

When the Me Too stuff was happening, there was a funny trend where all these people came forth with their horror stories about various people...and then they'd be like "Except Fallah Bahh, he's a good dude and tried to shut this poo poo down, even if it didn't work"

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
It seems like anyone in AEW can have the opportunity for a Dynamite main event, a memorable feud or signature match, something for the highlights reels, and even lower card guys are treated respectfully and generally get to have strong win-loss records thanks to Dark/Elevation, so unless you're fixated on title belts I don't know how much this idea of getting a spot at the "top of the card" really holds. Wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Joey Janela might be getting less screentime on Dynamite than they otherwise would with all these new names coming in but at the same time they're still doing indy shows where their AEW exposure is growing their fanbase.

And the fact that a guy who main evented Wrestlemania a few months ago is apparently on his way is pretty drat huge. The message that sends is not "Danielson is coming to take my spot", it's "being at the top of the card in the WWE is worthless".

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Answers Me posted:

It's a combination of things:

1) The ability to take indie bookings and work on side projects, so if you're not on Dynamite, you're probably not just sitting on your hands.

2) Dark and Elevation being treated as important, rather than throwaway shows. Hardly anyone is above working on Dark or Elevation. I think besides the recent hires, MJF and Jericho are the only two who haven't.

3) A long term plan and an absolute willingness to stick to that plan. Some people have said Tony plans things out for up to 9 months in advance, and he's not going to show up and rip up the script for the show on Wednesday at 7 PM.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Manwithastick posted:

Bob Backlund, and Foley wonders if he’s working people.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Alaois posted:

The rest of the Ministry wanted to kill Christian because Christian was the one who squealed when Ken Shamrock had him in the ankle lock demanding to know where Stephanie was.

I like how the Ministry/Corporate Ministry grew to a size to rival the nWo's at its most bloated, and then was immediately gone in two PPVs

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I've never heard a bad thing about DDP. Not impossible I missed stuff but dude has legit saved lives.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He allegedly used to swing with Bischoff and his wife if you wanna call that sleaze I guess, that’s about it as far as I can ever remember hearing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this might be changing but just about everyone gets to go home every week in aew. for a contracted wrestler that's a large difference in quality of life. the work has to be more satisfying when people aren't sacrificing their entire lives with 7/8 of that time spent sitting around in the bowels of some arena thinking about how much more they want to be doing at best; otherwise about whether or not they are going to be let go for some made up reason that doesn't make any more sense than anything else around there. and during that time backstage they can't genuinely decompress because they're on the clock sitting on a metal chair under fluorescent lights, staring at cream-painted concrete block walls in-between the cooldown of their next action on a timer in some phone game that a more important wrestler forces them to play. somebody with huge sideburns named Clarke Cumer walks up and tells them that their lack of engagement with the product (watching 6-8 or more hours of bad shows that don't lead to anything every week) is something they need to improve on. a big turd falls out of Clark's pant leg and he shakes it out onto the floor while maintaining eye contact with them and says he won't tell anyone that they poo poo on the floor if they clean it up. ends the convo with "good talk." then the wrestler cleans up the poop and looks on twitter and somebody is talking about how dumb their new gear looks or how little sense their extremely small part on the shows makes. then they get really pissed off and ask why everybody can't just enjoy wrestling like they do. Then because of having to juggle all that poo poo they forgot it's GamemasterAnthony's birthday and no matter how many characters show up rolling in a huge cake, GamemasterAnthony is going to notice that they were missing and take it personally

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never heard a bad thing about DDP. Not impossible I missed stuff but dude has legit saved lives.

The worst you can say about DDP is that he's overbearing and some of the dietary advice attached to DDPY is bullshit. Beyond that, he does genuinely care about people and I'd call him a decent guy.

Tito Santana's the classic answer to the "which wrestler isn't a piece of poo poo" question, as is Bobby Eaton. I've never heard anything lovely about Daniel Bryan or Colt Cabana either.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ddp bullied that hosed up creep who tried to cancel cody. ddp lied to him about cody not wanting anything to do with him because he was embarrassed about the idea of that guy talking to cody and probably saying something dumber than hell or weird. Ddp enjoyed it and did diamond cutters to him saying that Cody ordered it. that's why ddp is a great guy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think I've ever really heard anything bad about the Junkyard Dog, personality-wise. Everybody seemed to like him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sorry for saying "cancel" that way. i'm not one of those. it was just a quick way to describe the weird guy's efforts

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Terry Funk.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Everyone seems to speak very highly of Bobby Eaton.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's Jake Roberts's educational background like? One of the things that always set him apart from other 80s wrestlers was that he wasn't a screaming meathead. He's always seemed like such an articulate and intelligent guy, but everything I've heard about his childhood was such a tragic shitshow. Did he have formal education, or was he just a smart kid who learned on his own?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sticklefifer posted:

What's Jake Roberts's educational background like? One of the things that always set him apart from other 80s wrestlers was that he wasn't a screaming meathead. He's always seemed like such an articulate and intelligent guy, but everything I've heard about his childhood was such a tragic shitshow. Did he have formal education, or was he just a smart kid who learned on his own?

As far as I know Jake started in the business (as a ref) when he was 19 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
He allegedly also suffered a major injury from a (possibly intentionally) botched kneedrop that damaged his voice to the point that he couldn't be a screaming meathead if he tried. So it makes sense that he'd try something different.
His vices at the time certainly didn't help with the voice, obviously.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Which men’s division wrestler has the highest pitch voice. Was Paul Bearer a wrestler?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
it's John Tenta :rip:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Boss Man had kind of a high tenor for such a big dude. Especially when he got excited his voice kinda rose an octave.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I remember Warrior hitting a very high pitch a couple of times when he was doing promos for his match against Hogan at WM6

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Eat My Fuc posted:

Which men’s division wrestler has the highest pitch voice. Was Paul Bearer a wrestler?

isiah kassidy ?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's clearly Luther.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sticklefifer posted:

It's clearly Luther.

idk isiah screeches a whole bunch if he's up in the air

Adbot