Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah it's kinda deceptive that way since the plane looks huge from the outside, and it has huge delta wings, and then the inside is a tiny little 2x2 arrangement with no room for anything.

But hey, speed has a comfort all its own I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Psion posted:

Yeah it's kinda deceptive that way since the plane looks huge from the outside, and it has huge delta wings, and then the inside is a tiny little 2x2 arrangement with no room for anything.

But hey, speed has a comfort all its own I guess.

I walked around all under the thing and one of the docents approached me. "You've been under here a while. Can I help you with anything?"
"This entire surface of the airplane is basically low-point-drains for fuel tanks. What does the fuel transfer panel look like?!"
His face lit up. This was His Jam, totally. The thing has like 20 fuel tanks that auto-transfer and do all kinds of weirdness to keep CG in limits and transfer pumps and look at these relay panels and this whole breaker panel is just fuel control, but there's also another whole breaker panel just for the relay panel that controls the contactors for the fuel pumps and there's another complete section for the solenoid valves for the motive flow pumps and and and and.....

It was 300% worth the hour and a half consumed in that rabbit hole, and I absolutely, positively did not take enough pictures. An unedited video would have been a magical resource.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I noted some excellent callsigns at the Dayton Air Show this year. An MH-60R crew member who is known as "Hot Tub." On an E-2D, "Rick James" (inspired by the Chapelle's Show sketch, as it turns out). And, the one I might be most curious about, the Super Hornet pilot who got simply "Puppies."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sagebrush posted:

This sounds like Switzerland's thing where every household has a military-issued rifle and as a result nobody gives a poo poo.

Probably a key part too is that the ammo is locked up at the armory and the only place you are allowed to shoot the gun is at the local training range.

your rifle is given to you as part of the state's monopoly on violence which is a very, very different context than personal gun ownership

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:smith:

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2021-07-25/former-navy-pilot-dale-snort-snodgrass-dies-plane-crash-2300056.html

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

His face lit up. This was His Jam, totally.

this rules. probably made their day just like it made yours!

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Floatplane flipped earlier today after hitting a sandbar near Tofino. This is the very same company that had a crash over a decade ago where none survived.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/vancouver-island/2021/7/26/1_5523765.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mexecan posted:

Floatplane flipped earlier today after hitting a sandbar near Tofino. This is the very same company that had a crash over a decade ago where none survived.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/vancouver-island/2021/7/26/1_5523765.html

Well, that’s improvement!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

mexecan posted:

This is the very same company that had a crash over a decade ago where none survived.

Float flying is inherently dangerous. Hitting a sandbar, possibly one that moves, is a risk that is taken on many flights. The ‘runways’ are not lit, marked, and are constantly moving. The landing ‘gear’ has no brakes, the surface elevation can change (by 7+ meters in some places going by tides). There are not usually wind socks and spray means you might not get a clear view out the window.

The fact that we have as few fatal incidents as we do is, simply, amazing.

One major incident in a float fleet every 10 years is a pretty good record and I would not hesitate to fly with them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just don't get boomer brain and go full throttle while you're still tied to a buoy and screaming "you can't keep me here"

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Advent Horizon posted:

Float flying is inherently dangerous. Hitting a sandbar, possibly one that moves, is a risk that is taken on many flights. The ‘runways’ are not lit, marked, and are constantly moving. The landing ‘gear’ has no brakes, the surface elevation can change (by 7+ meters in some places going by tides). There are not usually wind socks and spray means you might not get a clear view out the window.

One major incident in a float fleet every 10 years is a pretty good record and I would not hesitate to fly with them.

Agreed. And I have flown with them. I brought up the earlier crash as it was previously discussed in this thread, which I ought to have mentioned.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Advent Horizon posted:

Got to post the Dornier 24 spinning out:

https://i.imgur.com/E4FqJ6g.mp4

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

FuturePastNow posted:

Got to post the Dornier 24 spinning out:

https://i.imgur.com/E4FqJ6g.mp4
Uh... full left rudder on landing.... He's not doing that deliberately is he....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16dW_PEAZY

Is he...?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Dumb question. I was finishing up a young-adult novel series I took a break from in middle school, and they had a scene where a helicopter pilot was shooting at our heroes and it got me wondering if you can let go of the stick or collective in a small helicopter long enough to take a couple shots before the helicopter gets bored and wanders off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Advanced helicopters have autopilots including autohover functions. That’s not going to exist on an R-22 but for the purposes of a novel sure.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cat Hatter posted:

Dumb question. I was finishing up a young-adult novel series I took a break from in middle school, and they had a scene where a helicopter pilot was shooting at our heroes and it got me wondering if you can let go of the stick or collective in a small helicopter long enough to take a couple shots before the helicopter gets bored and wanders off.

Depends on the helicopter. Something with an automatically-coordinated throttle usually has some kind of collective and cyclic trim on it to hold the sticks roughly neutral, much like the trim does on an airplane. I agree. For the purposes of the novel, sure.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cable Guy posted:

Uh... full left rudder on landing.... He's not doing that deliberately is he....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16dW_PEAZY

Is he...?

No, from what I've read he spotted a piece of debris of some sort right in his path and attempted to swerve to miss it. The plane sustained minor damage so whether that was the right choice or not I guess depends on what the debris was.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I walked around all under the thing and one of the docents approached me. "You've been under here a while. Can I help you with anything?"
"This entire surface of the airplane is basically low-point-drains for fuel tanks. What does the fuel transfer panel look like?!"
His face lit up. This was His Jam, totally. The thing has like 20 fuel tanks that auto-transfer and do all kinds of weirdness to keep CG in limits and transfer pumps and look at these relay panels and this whole breaker panel is just fuel control, but there's also another whole breaker panel just for the relay panel that controls the contactors for the fuel pumps and there's another complete section for the solenoid valves for the motive flow pumps and and and and.....

It was 300% worth the hour and a half consumed in that rabbit hole, and I absolutely, positively did not take enough pictures. An unedited video would have been a magical resource.

The PPrune thread with crusty Concorde maintenance people, pilots, FAs et c covers a loooot of this. It's a wonderful rabbithole.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

You have adjustable friction for the collective. Normally it's set really light, as you want the collective to move smoothly.
It also depends on how the rotorhead is balanced (on semi-rigid heads anyway)..but in general, you can, even if it's sinking, take your hand off the collective briefly.

Cyclic, depends on the helicopter. As general rule, you never let go of the cyclic.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

Many small (or VFR only) helicopters have manual friction holding only, so you can turn a knob on the floor to make the cyclic or collective stay put but under normal conditions letting go of the cyclic will cause it to immediately flop in one direction and produce the corresponding control input. More complex aircraft have force trim systems with magnetic brake/spring systems for cyclic and pedals, allowing you to reset the center point and fly hands off. Sometimes collectives are equipped with a balance spring which makes them stay put at 1G. The smallest helicopter I’ve flown is a Bell 206 and I have seen them equipped with and without force trim.. I don’t think smaller R22 style aircraft have force trim systems but haven’t flown one before.

If it helps the book, you can pretty easily hold the cyclic between your knees for enough time to get a shot off in straight and level flight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Talk about a garage project: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b-17-flying-fortress-has-been-hiding-in-a-barn-for-years-waiting-to-be-restored-166087.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So it sounds like as long as the book specified that the helicopter pilot is left-handed, and he's shooting a pistol out the left side, everything checks out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Irresponsible to operate a helicopter drive-by as single crew IMO, should be done with a qualified henchman in the door or the other seat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For all the license the Grand Theft Auto series takes with reality, one thing the protagonist has never been able to do is fire personal weapons while flying an aircraft.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Kind of a misnomer, as Desert Rat has been fairly well known in the warbird community for many years now. She was also an XC-108 transport conversion during the war.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Kind of a misnomer, as Desert Rat has been fairly well known in the warbird community for many years now. She was also an XC-108 transport conversion during the war.

I love journalism

Headline: IT'S IN A BARN!!!!
Boldface first para: let's talk about barn finds
First normal para: well this isn't really a barn find but

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
That would be a big goddamn barn

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

I've seen these flying around before, but wasn't prepared for quite how big and scary the moving rotor-props are on the ground. I'm guessing you don't have to fly around with the rear door open, but if you can, why wouldn't you?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Some spicy weather in the forecast for Oshkosh tonight.

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1420390527594291207?s=20

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1420520019839049728?s=20

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Many small (or VFR only) helicopters have manual friction holding only, so you can turn a knob on the floor to make the cyclic or collective stay put but under normal conditions letting go of the cyclic will cause it to immediately flop in one direction and produce the corresponding control input. More complex aircraft have force trim systems with magnetic brake/spring systems for cyclic and pedals, allowing you to reset the center point and fly hands off. Sometimes collectives are equipped with a balance spring which makes them stay put at 1G. The smallest helicopter I’ve flown is a Bell 206 and I have seen them equipped with and without force trim.. I don’t think smaller R22 style aircraft have force trim systems but haven’t flown one before.

If it helps the book, you can pretty easily hold the cyclic between your knees for enough time to get a shot off in straight and level flight.

Larger helicopters have everything. Big military and civilian stuff has full-rate full-authority autopilots with all kinds of hold modes. The Sikorsky SAR aircraft have speed and altitude hold modes that will couple with: GPS, Doppler, barometric (baro alt and pitot airspeed) and radalt. Plus INS coupling and turn-rate, climb-rate, and yaw-rate hold modes, along with auto-trim stuff to remove control stick forces on both the cyclic and collective. Those speed/altitude modes can even have your speeds set to zero so they're auto hover, and the trim adjust sticks or knobs can set your drift rate; so you could theoretically punch radalt hold and doppler hold, then climb out of the cockpit and drive the helicopter around single-person from the hoist station. Or just set a constant-radius turn at a constant airspeed and altitude (or a GPS-based orbit around a point), then climb out and man one of the door guns.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Or just set a constant-radius turn at a constant airspeed and altitude (or a GPS-based orbit around a point), then climb out and man one of the door guns.

This would be one hell of an airshow act

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just like when people set up cars to do donuts on their own, but I guess it would also include them shooting into the stadium crowd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Just like when people set up cars to do donuts on their own, but I guess it would also include them shooting into the stadium crowd.

Ghost riding as you CFIT?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 29, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This would be one hell of an airshow act

Like the drunken-bob-steals-an-airplane routine.

Cojawfee posted:

With, apparently, more casualties in the crowd.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ghost riding as you CFIT?

Or maybe less?!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Aeronautical Insanity: Ghost riding as you CFIT

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PowerUSAID/status/1420360044823072779

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/07/29/michigan-air-guard-to-make-history-by-test-landing-aircraft-on-state-highways/

quote:

ALPENA, Mich. — The Michigan National Guard, in coordination with the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and local partners, plans to close a portion of Michigan State Highway M-32 for five hours on August 5 to test its ability to land aircraft on roadways designed for cars and trucks.

The Michigan Air National Guard’s 127th Wing, Selfridge Air National Guard Base; the Air Force’s 355th Wing, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona; and, the Air Force Special Operations Command, Duke Field, Florida, will land four A-10 aircraft and two C-146 aircraft on a closed-off portion of the road near the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center to demonstrate how active duty and reserve-component units can integrate to project combat airpower in austere environments.

This landing operation is part of the annual multi-national, large-scale military training event, Exercise Northern Strike, hosted by the Michigan National Guard at the National All Domain Warfighting Center (NADWC), which encompasses the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center and Camp Grayling Joint Maneuver Training Center.

“This is believed to be the first time in history that modern Air Force aircraft have intentionally landed on a civilian roadway on U.S. soil,” said U.S. Air Force Col. James Rossi, Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center commander. “Our efforts are focused on our ability to train the warfighter in any environment across the continuum so our nation can compete, deter, and win today and tomorrow.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They used to do that training in west Germany, I guess they need to train the capability every once in a while?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Michigan roads are more or less like landing on a gravel air strip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

They used to do that training in west Germany, I guess they need to train the capability every once in a while?

West Germany stopped returning our calls.