Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

DasNeonLicht posted:

I was hospitalized as a kid around 2000 for something, and I remember my mom buying me a copy of PC Gamer to cheer me up — I think it came with a CD full of demos the family computer couldn't run.

One of the games reviewed / advertised in the magazine was a sort of top-down, isometric gang simulator. It was not Gangsters: Organized Crime, but something set in the present day, with an "urban" setting, drugs with cR4Zy names you could take to boost your stats, and an overall aesthetic that would probably be considered slightly offensive today. I think there were prostitutes? Maybe it was a poor man's GTA for the time, more focused on turf management.

Thanks to anyone who can remember.

Could be Beatdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivHnU-cvaM&ab_channel=FirstPlaysHD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

That was it! Thank you.

I love this thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FFT posted:

This would have been mid-to-late '90s: arcade racer, futuristic style, red motorcycle-looking seat as part of the cabinet?

Namco Suzuka 8 hours maybe?

I definitely remember lots of red motorcycle arcade games in my youth...

E: Oh nm you already found it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Late 90s, early 2000s game made by an indie team (maybe one guy) using Klikteam or Gamemaker or one of those smaller engines of the time. I downloaded it from Home of the Underdogs around the turn of the century.

It was a 2D sidescrolling RPG with pixel art graphics. The human characters were distinctly big and detailed. You maneuvered on a flat two dimensional plane, no up/down movement. Battles would be sort of Paper Mario turn based style.

Stylistically it was sort of Steampunk. Lots of long dusters and chunky shotguns. I think the plot involved a land baroness. The title may have had "engine" in the name. There was a sequel released around the height of Tigsource like ~2010 around the time of Spelunky and La-Mulana.

There's another game made by the same person I played that's also a sidescroller with big chunky sprites. You're a girl in a white dress enslaved in a cave or mine and she can levitate and solve simple platforming challenges. I think the game had "princess" in the title idk but you find one of these games you find the others.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

Late 90s, early 2000s game made by an indie team (maybe one guy) using Klikteam or Gamemaker or one of those smaller engines of the time. I downloaded it from Home of the Underdogs around the turn of the century.

It was a 2D sidescrolling RPG with pixel art graphics. The human characters were distinctly big and detailed. You maneuvered on a flat two dimensional plane, no up/down movement. Battles would be sort of Paper Mario turn based style.

Stylistically it was sort of Steampunk. Lots of long dusters and chunky shotguns. I think the plot involved a land baroness. The title may have had "engine" in the name. There was a sequel released around the height of Tigsource like ~2010 around the time of Spelunky and La-Mulana.

There's another game made by the same person I played that's also a sidescroller with big chunky sprites. You're a girl in a white dress enslaved in a cave or mine and she can levitate and solve simple platforming challenges. I think the game had "princess" in the title idk but you find one of these games you find the others.

First one is definitely The Spirit Engine but not sure about the second one

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

al-azad posted:

The Spirit Engine?

edit: :argh: how dare you beat me

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep that's it. I see the princess-in-a-cave game isn't related. I would've played it around the same time as Knytt and Seiklus when everyone was doing pixel art games before the generic 8-bit style became popular but I remember so little about it. Just a blond haired girl in a white dress, basic platforming, and you had some levitation powers or something.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

al-azad posted:

The colours are wrong, but might it be the 2002 Eternal Daughter you're actually thinking of? Large sprite style, and the story starts with the protagonist being a slave in a mine:

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 22, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hooray that's the one. Getting Lisa vibes from that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I looked it up and it's actually by Derek Yu of Spelunky fame!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Makes sense. A lot of these old memories are buried on Tigsource and his old dusty pixel art tutorials.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Eternal Daughter
It's also available straight from Derek Yu's site.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm hoping this is an easy one.

Arcade game, side scrolling beat em up, one of the bosses is a half lady/half snake.

My friend just asked me if I remembered the name of it, I remember the game, but not the name. So anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Most likely an early 90s game.

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 27, 2021

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Custard Undies posted:

Arcade game, side scrolling beat em up, one of the bosses is a half lady/half snake.

My friend just asked me if I remembered the name of it, I remember the game, but not the name. So anyone got any ideas?

Haunted Castle?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Custard Undies posted:

Does the game involve the main character using their fists or weapons? That helps narrow it down.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Mierenneuker posted:

Does the game involve the main character using their fists or weapons? That helps narrow it down.

He thinks weapons.

And no it wasn't Haunted Castle but that was a good suggestion to check out.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

We figured it out. It is called Hippodrome

Edit: I dont think the description I was given was very helpful, as that is more of a 2d fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CzrBuSufYs

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 27, 2021

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

RabbitWizard posted:

Let's give another one a try:

Windows 3.11 or 95, I think it was from a Demo/Freeware/Shareware CD/Disk. It was black/cyan/magenta. On the first screen you only saw the silhouette of things in black, yourself - a knight with a sword - some bushes and a spider which attacked you. I remember some lights around, may have been stars in the background or fireflies in the bushes. I never killed the spider or whatever so I can't tell you about anything else.

Could this have been Blade Warrior?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

beef express posted:

Could this have been Blade Warrior?
That's it!!! Amazing, thanks so much!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
Trying to remember an old PC game that had some FMV elements but not all FMV. I think was a point and click. Mid to late 90s

You are a guy who likes this batman-type comic book, then you get sucked into that world and become the comic book character, and you fight that character's villains. I think you had a female sidekick but I don't recall

It was very dark (literally, I recall it all took place at night)

Looked up FMV game databases but couldn't find anything as it was more of a normal game with occasional FMV stuff and not like, Voyeur or Night Trap

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tenderjerk posted:

Trying to remember an old PC game that had some FMV elements but not all FMV. I think was a point and click. Mid to late 90s

You are a guy who likes this batman-type comic book, then you get sucked into that world and become the comic book character, and you fight that character's villains. I think you had a female sidekick but I don't recall

It was very dark (literally, I recall it all took place at night)

Looked up FMV game databases but couldn't find anything as it was more of a normal game with occasional FMV stuff and not like, Voyeur or Night Trap

Noctropolis

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!

Hwurmp posted:

Noctropolis

That's it! And it's on steam too! thx

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, this one's recent, but I missed the name: a faux-retro adventure game that I can only describe as "X-Files in the visual style of Zak McKracken".

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pierzak posted:

OK, this one's recent, but I missed the name: a faux-retro adventure game that I can only describe as "X-Files in the visual style of Zak McKracken".

Thimbleweed Park

Some of the people who made it are literally oldschool Lucasarts guys who worked on Zak McKracken

Veib fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 28, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Veib posted:

Thimbleweed Park

It's literally made by oldschool Lucasarts guys who worked on Zak McKracken
Thanks!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Veib posted:

Thimbleweed Park

Some of the people who made it are literally oldschool Lucasarts guys who worked on Zak McKracken

The best thing about the game was one of the options they had for the kickstarter was to pay an extra $20 for pirating Maniac Mansion when you were younger :xd:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

How dare they, I never pirated Maniac Mansion

I pirated Day of the Tentacle (which... does include Maniac Mansion... well, poo poo)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/574265442111504384

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I definitely pirated both. Well, my parents did, I guess. Not sure I can be blamed for it at nine years of age or whatever I was. I did buy the DOTT Remaster though! Sins forgiven?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

cmndstab posted:

I definitely pirated both. Well, my parents did, I guess. Not sure I can be blamed for it at nine years of age or whatever I was. I did buy the DOTT Remaster though! Sins forgiven?

I pirated and played the poo poo out of DOTT. I've made up for it by buying it at least twice as the remaster (PC and PlayStation), and have yet to replay it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Medullah posted:

I pirated and played the poo poo out of DOTT. I've made up for it by buying it at least twice as the remaster (PC and PlayStation), and have yet to replay it.

I'm still waiting for a remastered Sam and Max. Not sure what's taking so long.. licensing issues, maybe?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Doublefine did the other remasters, I guess since Schafer didn't work on Sam & Max they have less reason to push for it, and Disney alone aren't interested in remastering it? You can get the original on Steam though, should work fine since it's ScummVM-based.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
My finest videogame purchase was a two-disc set called "10 Lucasarts Adventures." It had Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1 (though, the 16-color version) and 2, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Indiana Jones Raiders & Fate of Atlantis, and Zak McKracken (also 16 colors). And Indy desktop adventures. Nearly all of them were games I didn't even know existed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Doublefine did the other remasters, I guess since Schafer didn't work on Sam & Max they have less reason to push for it, and Disney alone aren't interested in remastering it? You can get the original on Steam though, should work fine since it's ScummVM-based.

Already have it on GOG, but yeah, that's a shame.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

davidspackage posted:

My finest videogame purchase was a two-disc set called "10 Lucasarts Adventures." It had Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1 (though, the 16-color version) and 2, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Indiana Jones Raiders & Fate of Atlantis, and Zak McKracken (also 16 colors). And Indy desktop adventures. Nearly all of them were games I didn't even know existed.
Yeah when I was a kid we had a CD with MI1&2 + Indiana Jones FoA. Very fond memories and a few talking-tos about charges on the phone bill.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Remaster Yoda Stories.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Light Gun Man posted:

Remaster Yoda Stories.

oh man — I spent way too many hours playing this on our lovely family PC — one of the few things it could run

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I also played Yoda Stories for hours, although there was one tile that could appear on the jungle/Endor maps that I could never figure out. It involved a crashed space ship surrounded by trees. If I got that tile on a randomly generated mission I was going to be stuck at some point so I was forced to restart.

I bet I could find a longplay on Youtube right now that features it and find out that the solution was something really easy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I also had Yoda Stories as a kid. I guess it technically counts as my first experience with roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had Indiana Jones' Desktop Adventures and only a demo of Yoda Stories. Used the wav files from the games for all the windows system and a start up/shut down sounds.