Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

playing a battle royale and trying to be the last man standing is qualitatively a very different (shittier) experience than playing a deathmatch and just constantly fragging and respawning

Get better at deathmatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
no

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Come on, please? I'll be your best friend

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm interested in these videos. Got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't like those games but they are massively popular and a pretty unique experience. People play them like crazy. Running around and looting and building your character just for that game and the way the shrinking boundaries make the game progress are clever and novel. Comparing them to a 20 person quake match is lol. Fortnite may be for kids and you're too old and cool but the quick building is a well implemented and unique mechanic.

I'd say every game mechanic in Fortnite is pretty lovely and nothing is interesting about shrinking boundaries or loot hunting, especially the way they're currently implemented.

Where Fortnite really shines is it's commitment to season stories and map alterations that keep the content fresh.
Newer shooters have been getting better about this, but classic FPS expected you to play the same map, the same way for entirety: 2fort has been a curse across several generations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tetrabor posted:

I'd say every game mechanic in Fortnite is pretty lovely and nothing is interesting about shrinking boundaries or loot hunting, especially the way they're currently implemented.

Where Fortnite really shines is it's commitment to season stories and map alterations that keep the content fresh.
Newer shooters have been getting better about this, but classic FPS expected you to play the same map, the same way for entirety: 2fort has been a curse across several generations.

I'd be really curious to see how a competitive shooter would play if it had something like Deep Rock Galactic's procedural map generation. Map knowledge would become a non-factor and a bunch of different skills would be emphasized instead, and I think it could be neat.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Triarii posted:

I'd be really curious to see how a competitive shooter would play if it had something like Deep Rock Galactic's procedural map generation. Map knowledge would become a non-factor and a bunch of different skills would be emphasized instead, and I think it could be neat.

That's kind of what Due Process is, albeit it not to the extent of DRG.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753650/Due_Process/

Procedural generated :bustem: simulator, but I guess it kind of cheats in that you have a planning screen that shows you the layout.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also it's not a new map every game/round, it's one generated per week. So presumably you can share tips and strategies with your buds in the Due Process forums about each map as it comes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

moral choice systems are usually lovely anyway, like you get penalised by losing a party member for doing something funny and interesting and the boring option gives you a better codpiece or something

the game is like "you can't unlock this skill because you chose the funny option of peeing on the guy instead of helping him up" and its lame as hell

Yeah but usually the good skills are the evil ones, you're rewarded for smacking some idiot in the mouth instead of trying to reunite him with his space dog or whatever inane nonsense you do in the paragon paths

KOTOR and the Jedi Knight games basically got it right, if you're an rear end in a top hat then you can shoot lightning and choke people with your mind, if you're a good person then you can play folks songs on the guitar and you learn a really good meatless chili recipe (meat is murder)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tetrabor posted:

its a kids game and kids love it so those mechanics are clearly working well, they don't really want to play gen X arena shooters where you bunny hop around with rockets

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In my experience the people who grew up with Quake, UT, and DOD quickly embraced the colorful wackiness of PUBG and Fortnite, the complainers grew up with bland nothing games like Gears of War

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Some game series do get worse, presumably because they get relegated to shovelware developed by not so good teams.

To say this is the rule and that games get more vapid as the graphical glitz gets more polished is a giant crock of poo poo. Reminds me of how people whined that RDR2 had too many mechanics, maaan, just couple of months ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

In my experience the people who grew up with Quake, UT, and DOD quickly embraced the colorful wackiness of PUBG and Fortnite, the complainers grew up with bland nothing games like Gears of War

The 360/PS3 era was pretty much a lost decade for innovation and fun in general, the dominant genre became a brown miserable slog. And nowadays it's gotten worse if anything with literally every big budget game turning into Far Cry 3 with different skins.

Of course gamers are cynical and paranoid, they've spent the last two and a half decades watching every publisher gently caress up their beloved franchises for increasingly stupid reasons and arbitrarily decide to write off entire genres as obsolete because it's not what made the most money last fiscal quarter, and trying to wrap up generic slodge in a familiar franchise like a lovely unlicensed knockoff of their own product.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm in my mid thirties and tried Fortnite for the first time last week. It's a world of soulless brand deals, has possibly one of the most predatory approaches to microtransactions I've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure most Fortnite dances were just ripped from popular TikTok videos. It genuinely pains me as someone who grew up on eighties and nineties cartoons to see how inevitably jacked up modern marketing at children has become in comparison.

But all that taken into account, the gameplay itself is pretty fun and easygoing and I've seen some really creative combat strategies using the building mechanic and map design/features. It actually kind of surprised me how much fun I had with it. Still evil though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ricochet was a great half life mod

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Redezga posted:

I'm in my mid thirties and tried Fortnite for the first time last week. It's a world of soulless brand deals, has possibly one of the most predatory approaches to microtransactions I've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure most Fortnite dances were just ripped from popular TikTok videos. It genuinely pains me as someone who grew up on eighties and nineties cartoons to see how inevitably jacked up modern marketing at children has become in comparison.

But all that taken into account, the gameplay itself is pretty fun and easygoing and I've seen some really creative combat strategies using the building mechanic and map design/features. It actually kind of surprised me how much fun I had with it. Still evil though.

I'm too lazy to look into it, but I always wondered how this differs from the old cartoons like He-Man or Transformers which were made to peddle plastic crap to children. It all seems the same to me, just a different way to sell stuff to kids, and people being upset at it just being caught in the cycle of "Being old and not liking that things are different than when I was a kid".

It's not a personal dig or anything, mind. Just the recent tantrum people have been throwing about the new He-Man got me thinking about this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Archer666 posted:

I'm too lazy to look into it, but I always wondered how this differs from the old cartoons like He-Man or Transformers which were made to peddle plastic crap to children. It all seems the same to me, just a different way to sell stuff to kids, and people being upset at it just being caught in the cycle of "Being old and not liking that things are different than when I was a kid".

It's not a personal dig or anything, mind. Just the recent tantrum people have been throwing about the new He-Man got me thinking about this.

A better comparison would be Pokemon: The show's absolutely 100% about marketing crap to kids, and I have no nostalgia for it as it's after my time, but I really wouldn't call it "predatory" in the same way that modern microtransacions or or even ye olde ads-for-kids (illegal now in some contexts) are. So He-Man et al may have been bad and recognised as such at the time, but the modern generation of stuff is so much worse, they've really taken it to new lows.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Redezga posted:

I'm pretty sure most Fortnite dances were just ripped from popular TikTok videos.

in fact many were ripped from the music videos of popular artists (especially rappers), without permission or compensation.
there was a big lawsuit over it and nowadays they pay some kind of royalties

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the original fortnite dance was stolen completely from Turk from Scrubs, which is pretty funny imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fortnite has always been 100% soulless cashgrab. Like, the gameplay everyone knows it for wasn't even the game's original intended focus, it was an afterthought PUBG knockoff mode tacked on to a hopelessly generic Borderlands wannabe.

Serephina posted:

A better comparison would be Pokemon: The show's absolutely 100% about marketing crap to kids, and I have no nostalgia for it as it's after my time, but I really wouldn't call it "predatory" in the same way that modern microtransacions or or even ye olde ads-for-kids (illegal now in some contexts) are. So He-Man et al may have been bad and recognised as such at the time, but the modern generation of stuff is so much worse, they've really taken it to new lows.

Pokemon, Transformers and what not are at least trying to sell tangible products. (phone games aside)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Fortnite, Apex, Warzone, PUBG are completely different games from Quake. The combat is only like one third, the rest is hiking/scavenging/team coordination/planning and then a LOT of waiting/camping.

Shooting in these games is a risk.
You're wasting resources and bringing other now better equipped players to your location.
The loot / the ring is randomized so each game favors a different set of players.

Of course there's now leveling and lateral progression along with cosmetics which you unlock by grinding. And not being good at shooting isn't a big deal.

Then you have the smaller scale team shooters which all play differently from each other:
Valorant
Overwatch
Rainbow Six Siege

And there's Unreal Tournament and Quake Champions which are F2P but bogged down with the terrible F2P progression system of the games above (except OW that's only skins).

Old shooters are simple. If you're better at pointing and clicking you win. You go into this trance like state where you just click heads and jump around until you're physically tired. In two hours you'll go through a two hundred firefights on 12 different maps.

In Apex you'll probably go through 5 in the same amount of time, because losing one means you do 15 minutes of lobby/looting/walking.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Anyway everyone play Diabotical

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I think it's a bit creepy in Mass Effect how Liara is "barely considered more than a child" among the Asari and Tali is also a naive young virgin (which is pointed out in the game). And the third possible female romance option is a racist.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

lobsterminator posted:

I think it's a bit creepy in Mass Effect how Liara is "barely considered more than a child" among the Asari and Tali is also a naive young virgin (which is pointed out in the game). And the third possible female romance option is a racist.

The three gaming genders: child, virgin, racist.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's also the ensign work experience kid you can sexually harass until she fucks you, really people are way too kind to the romances in that game

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The best romance was that asari sex vampire lady.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

The best romance was that asari sex vampire lady.

This you?

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Ardat-Yakshi#How_to_safely_have_sex_with_an_Ardat-Yakshi

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You could romance no one, LIKE YOU SHOULD

It makes it so the "your romantic partner" photograph in ME2 is a photo of the original Normandy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why didn't they have options to reject the dumb relationship choices and just head to my bunk and crank it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wish Mass Effect had similar true love mechanic as Dragon's Dogma.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

smh if you miss strengthening the walls of the blood vessels in the brain day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kennel posted:

I wish Mass Effect had similar true love mechanic as Dragon's Dogma.

I'd still have ended up with the ship because Im not talking to any of these weirdos

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Barudak posted:

I'd still have ended up with the ship because Im not talking to any of these weirdos

Wait didn't Joker end up loving the ship?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vic posted:

Wait didn't Joker end up loving the ship?

That cheating harlot!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

That cheating harlot!

Shepard loved SR-1, Joker hosed SR-2.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I really enjoy elements of battle Royale games

The way it forces conflicts is great, and how warzone gives enough loot in the right places to make it feel special and effective is good. Gulag system feels like a stop gap though

I wouldn't mind some play in the algebra of it all though

Small size maps, X amount of respawns, less people, a cash buy system for Loadout on the respawn might be interesting

Warzone shits over pubg , but I don't think contemporary battle Royale is the be-all-end-all of FPS, and there is room for improvement

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would like a battle royale game with no shooting

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

the "your romantic partner" photograph in ME2 is a photo of the original Normandy.

feels canonical imo

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I love Quake and Unreal Tournament, but I don't think people like those kind of games anymore. UT is still a good game to play with people who are not super into FPS games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I would like a battle royale game with no shooting

Can't we all just get along?