Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the children on schemes could tend to them, tie it in with their tufty badge training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m not qualified to drive tho did learn and I don’t see the point of mini roundabouts. They strike me as a bad idea that’s persisted tho happy to proven wrong (almost certainly by twisto)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you go round the graveyard 3 times at midnight counter-clockwise on a motorbike, while eating an apple, does the devil with the red eyes appear? Or is that only if you run?

Depends on whether or not the bike has a shaft drive, and also on whether you're in the northern or southern hemisphere because of the Coriolis effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I’m not qualified to drive tho did learn and I don’t see the point of mini roundabouts. They strike me as a bad idea that’s persisted tho happy to proven wrong (almost certainly by twisto)

They are basically a junction but it follows roundabout rules, so you give way to the right. You don't strictly have to follow the markings but it does give you an easily understandable order of priority.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

The justifications for a mini roundabout are exactly the same as for a full-sized one - anywhere you have a junction that's not just a straight T or cross, and anywhere where either a significant amount of traffic will be wanting to turn right (although not enough to justify a light-controlled junction*) or where the major flow doesn't go straight from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock, just where there's not enough space for a full-sized roundabout. The point of a roundabout is that - topographically and logically - it turns any junction into a sequence of left turns, vastly simplifying the priority decisions.

Mini roundabouts also have a role at simple t-junctions on relatively busy but still minor roads, where flow is high enough that turning right into or out of the minor road would require a long wait for a gap in oncoming traffic, *particularly* on roads narrow enough that someone waiting 30 seconds to turn right would cause a couple of dozen vehicles to have to queue behind them.

The real point of a full-sized roundabout is of course so bikers can get their knee down, something you'd need to be very, very determined to do on a mini-roundabout, although I've seen it done.

* Nobody has *ever* been able to properly justify roundabouts with traffic lights though, beyond the fact that the majority of drivers are far too stupid to use roundabouts properly.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
As usual my question is almost immediately answered, cheers fellas.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A series of botched LTN decisions just outside my flat has turned a regular junction where one road crosses another into one bidirectional road that does a right-angled turn, with two one-way roads of equal priority feeding directly into the corner. It's working very well judging by how many people are honking their appreciation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

* Nobody has *ever* been able to properly justify roundabouts with traffic lights though, beyond the fact that the majority of drivers are far too stupid to use roundabouts properly.

They recently (last year) changed the horrific monstrosity pile of roundabouts near teesport into... well frankly also a monstrosity of a roundabout with the A66 running through the middle of it.

Weirdly it is actually a really big improvement. It has lights at every step which is nice because the old one didn't have lights on some of the entrances and fighting with the entire A66 to get onto the mega roundabout was terrifying the one time I accidentally ended up in one of those entrances, and also if you're on the 66 and want to keep going (which is most of the traffic) you can just ignore the roundabout and follow the road straight through. Which keeps the main road traffic off the actual roundabout bit so if you want to go somewhere else you aren't fighting with them. And also you don't have to spiral out through half a dozen entrances and three-ish lanes of traffic with no road markings because they would have to close the roundabout to repaint it. You can actually turn right off the A66 onto cargo fleet without dying of a heart attack.

It's something I was sure wouldn't work but has made me much happier about using that junction since they changed it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 27, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i remember one time coming onto a roundabout and getting angry-beeped and fist shaked by some old git because i was following the highway code method of using roundabouts, which were apparently in violation of his own particular rules for using roundabouts :bahgawd:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
when i'm driving, i always check the car in front for white hair, or no hair

if either is present, i treat it the same as R plates and just give the widest of berths

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You and Crispix should collaborate on a roundabout party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Zfd2Kzw1k

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i reckon if i was selected to be on a roundabout committee, i'd be like, the nye bevan of roads

i've served my time in cities: skylines

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
cities: skylines, more like cities: road planning consumes your life and also intrudes on your dreams and wakes you up several times a night

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
fuckin bus routes NO I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE STARTED IT ON NEW COCKSMELL STREET :mad:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

i remember one time coming onto a roundabout and getting angry-beeped and fist shaked by some old git because i was following the highway code method of using roundabouts, which were apparently in violation of his own particular rules for using roundabouts :bahgawd:
Oh yeah there's a whole special genre of 'local rules' for junctions that 'everyone round here knows,' even if said rules run completely contrary to the highway code or in some cases laws of physics.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also, that facebook memories thing says today is the 9 year anniversary of the pinnacle of human endeavour, the world's fair of guardian journalism, and the moment to which #fbpes brain cells retreat in moments of attack. Happy 2012 olympics opening ceremonymas everyone.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I lived in Milton Keynes for 6 years and nearby for the rest of my life... roundabouts are actually awesome. People in MK are absolutely fearless on them, which can be unnerving at first but also means you don't get people unnecessarily dithering, and it makes driving anywhere else disappointing - particularly here in Canada where everything is lighted intersections (or worse, 4-way stops).

What's even more ridiculous is that here in Ontario and some other places (though not everywhere in Canada - I know at least Quebec doesn't do this) you can turn right on a red light (though you have to look out for traffic) unless there are signs specifically saying you can't (which aren't very common) so you're half way to it just being a roundabout anyway.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh yeah there's a whole special genre of 'local rules' for junctions that 'everyone round here knows,' even if said rules run completely contrary to the highway code or in some cases laws of physics.

I've had to explain to people more than a few times that even if they think there are local rules for a junction, the judge they are going to end up in front of doesn't know or care about them so we will not be contesting the claim of the person they t-boned.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The big problem with roundabouts is that they only work well when everyone's confident with what they're doing.
If, however, you get a really anxious driver who goes around a large roundabout in the left lane despite them needing the exit at 270 degrees, that's potentially going to cause an issue.
Or if you get a raging oval office of a driver who uses roundabouts as an opportunity to overtake, that's potentially going to cause an issue.
Get both of those types of drivers on a roundabout at the same time and that's basically a recipe for an accident.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

The big problem with roundabouts is that they only work well when everyone's confident with what they're doing.
If, however, you get a really anxious driver who goes around a large roundabout in the left lane despite them needing the exit at 270 degrees, that's potentially going to cause an issue.
Or if you get a raging oval office of a driver who uses roundabouts as an opportunity to overtake, that's potentially going to cause an issue.
Get both of those types of drivers on a roundabout at the same time and that's basically a recipe for an accident.

I sometimes end up in the wrong lane and I just keep an eye on the right mirror and put the right indicator on to indicate that yes, I am still going round. If it's busy to the right I just go off and find somewhere to turn round.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

I lived in Milton Keynes for 6 years and nearby for the rest of my life... here in Ontario

*nods and updates goons.xlsx with new "is undead?" column*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps there is a milton keynes, ontario.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

OwlFancier posted:

They recently (last year) changed the horrific monstrosity pile of roundabouts near teesport into... well frankly also a monstrosity of a roundabout with the A66 running through the middle of it.

Weirdly it is actually a really big improvement. It has lights at every step which is nice because the old one didn't have lights on some of the entrances and fighting with the entire A66 to get onto the mega roundabout was terrifying the one time I accidentally ended up in one of those entrances, and also if you're on the 66 and want to keep going (which is most of the traffic) you can just ignore the roundabout and follow the road straight through. Which keeps the main road traffic off the actual roundabout bit so if you want to go somewhere else you aren't fighting with them. And also you don't have to spiral out through half a dozen entrances and three-ish lanes of traffic with no road markings because they would have to close the roundabout to repaint it. You can actually turn right off the A66 onto cargo fleet without dying of a heart attack.

It's something I was sure wouldn't work but has made me much happier about using that junction since they changed it.

This loving roundabout in its old configuration cocked up my driving test because it's right round the corner from the test centre and I pulled out into the wrong spiral lane and made a truck driver brake.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The real point of a full-sized roundabout is of course so bikers can get their knee down,

Now Woke Bikers Are Taking The Knee On Our Roundabouts
By Daily Mail Reporter

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

suddenly getting a very strong suspicion that https://www.roads.org.uk is run by somebody who posts in this thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

when i'm driving, i always check the car in front for white hair, or no hair

if either is present, i treat it the same as R plates and just give the widest of berths

My stepdad says that you should never, ever trust a driver who is wearing a hat. My mum doesn't agree with him on much, but in over 40 years she's never once seen him proven wrong on that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

suddenly getting a very strong suspicion that https://www.roads.org.uk is run by somebody who posts in this thread

CBRD are mere dilettantes and poseurs, the real heads post on https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

CBRD are mere dilettantes and poseurs, the real heads post on https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

I can confirm that I often refer to sabre in a professional capacity so they are clearly the superior road nerd website.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

My stepdad says that you should never, ever trust a driver who is wearing a hat. My mum doesn't agree with him on much, but in over 40 years she's never once seen him proven wrong on that.

So, so close.

Never, ever trust other drivers..... and they should do the same.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Two white heads are worse than one white head because it’s inevitably a 100 year old man with a wife who needs to believe that he can still drive despite all the evidence.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Interesting thread on the London floods https://twitter.com/tcmurray/status/1419404537073442819?s=19

And one on the Marble Arch Mound which I'd never heard of https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1419787260107558918?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 27, 2021

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I only hope that when Westminster is swallowed up by the Thames, it's full.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A look through some articles on motorways around my area has led me to believe that there's some kind of motorway-related curse on Newcastle and the surrounding areas. Try and build a motorway around here and you'll end up with one that phases in and out of existence, a white knuckle thrillride, or a slip road. That's before we get to the many, many motorways that were planned and never got built.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Exciting road/parking query: one of our neighbours extended their driveway, so now half of it adjoins a raised curb. Parking on my street is bad and getting worse, so I am getting increasingly tempted just to block off half their driveway when I have to, because I'm pretty sure it's allowed? Otherwise presumably everyone could just pave over their front gardens and then there would be NO STREET PARKING LEFT ANYWHERE.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I think if there isn't a dropped kerb you're fine. From a legal standing, not from a 'getting on with your neighbours', of course.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Councils take a dim view of people crossing raised kerbs to access drives. However they loving love kicking people out of temporary homes for not viewing a flat 180 miles away. https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1419935335048486939

It's a labour council with Stella Creasey as the local MP, because of course it is.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 27, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Current Labour, in text form: https://twitter.com/ElunedAnderson/status/1419726746279108612

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

crispix posted:

they should put a little mini lawn and bonsai trees on mini roundabouts imo

vote crispix party for this and many, many more exciting policies

For purposes of decision making is that (more exciting) policies or more (exciting policies)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Perfect Element posted:

Exciting road/parking query: one of our neighbours extended their driveway, so now half of it adjoins a raised curb. Parking on my street is bad and getting worse, so I am getting increasingly tempted just to block off half their driveway when I have to, because I'm pretty sure it's allowed? Otherwise presumably everyone could just pave over their front gardens and then there would be NO STREET PARKING LEFT ANYWHERE.

Yeah just block em in, what are they gonna do, go to the council about it?

Get ready for your car to appear in the local paper though next to a couple with crossed arms