Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Late SotC is definitely where I installed the NoGrind and Console Command mods, because I just didn't have that kind of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nea posted:

Yeah. I stopped playing this game in star of the city when I realized that the game had gone from 'neat, I have to change my decks for realizations or occasionally a boss' to 'you will need multiple tries to figure out how to beat every single reception, which can take fourty minutes or more.'

I'm fine with doing that once in a while, but getting to the point where an 'easy' fight takes 40 minutes of figuring out and then a hard one might take an hour or two, plus needing multiple runs to get pages that take a long time even once you have the strategy down pat put me off entirely.

That just means you're not Gebbing hard enough.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The first fight post sotc requiring the books that it does is a crime. I clutched it out but I would've instantly installed the mod if I had lost for sure

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I installed nogrind in... I want to say it was Urban Plague and its Everything Needing Zwei Books. I know I waited for longer than that, though.

Acerbatus posted:

That just means you're not Gebbing hard enough.

What if, like me until about a half hour ago, they yet lack the tools to Geb that hard?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
You can crush all SotC row 1/2 receptions with Yesod unga using Kim/Allen/Emma like I did after I accidently erased my save file; but it relies on being already familiar with the game and knowing which General invites to immediately rush for.

PM boosted the drop rate of books in Urban Plague and above last Friday anyhow.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Allow me to write a "Here is how to beat the everloving crap out of TRM" guide, so that anyone can adequately Gebura.

Set up Philosophy and General Works with your good stuff, go heavier on Philosophy than Gen Works since Gen Works can play the Numbers Game and has an easier fight overall. Go slightly more defensive on Philosophy, as their job is mainly to survive-pages with good Slash resist are great here.

On one other floor (I like Language, but any one works), we set up our four Librarians with a very silly group of pages.

We have one main Librarian with a Ranged page (I used Katriel for her +1 power passive), and give her the two blue Full Stop passives, alongside Buzz Buzz (IIRC) to inflict Paralysis on the enemy for 1 turn. Their deck is nothing but as many 1- and 2-cost 3-attack ranged cards as I can squeeze in.

The other three are in the violet Puppet key pages, and each get all three of the Full Stop passives, alongside the passive that gives bonus damage when attacking a paralyzed opponent. Their decks are 3x Opportunity Spotted, 3x the 2-cost from Dawn Office that has 3 attacks and deals burn, and 3x the 1cost from Molar Office with 3 attack dice on it.

The strategy goes like this:
Lead with Roland and company, and play the Numbers Game with 5 Librarians to whittle down TRM to half HP. Try to do more if you can, but she'll probably kill everyone.

Follow up with the puppets floor, and attack TRM on turn 1 with everything you have. Use Katriel to break the counter die with her opening gunfire by targeting a one-sided attack, then have everyone else pile as many clashes/onesided attacks onto her as possible. She cannot win clashes on turn 1 against this team, and they'll do roughly 250 or so damage before being murdered on turn 2 or 3. Sneak in as much burn as possible using the 2-cost for additional damage, as well.

Lastly, use Philosophy. Dump as much Fairy as possible on her using Binah's pillars/fairy pages, have everyone else do the best they can, and basically just outlast her as she melts under the ridiculously OP Fairy ailment.

Congratulations! You should now have access to the best keypage in the game. If it doesn't drop, just repeat as necessary 'til it does.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

SITB posted:

You can crush all SotC row 1/2 receptions with Yesod unga using Kim/Allen/Emma like I did after I accidently erased my save file; but it relies on being already familiar with the game and knowing which General invites to immediately rush for.

PM boosted the drop rate of books in Urban Plague and above last Friday anyhow.

Admittedly last time I played the game general invites weren't in yet, haha.

I did also unlock The Red Mist, I just felt like I was still significantly in trial or error in figuring out strategies.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Nea posted:

Admittedly last time I played the game general invites weren't in yet, haha.

I did also unlock The Red Mist, I just felt like I was still significantly in trial or error in figuring out strategies.

What I did in the first run was use Myongest Geburah with the other 3 R corp commanders attached (each having Cecil and Mei pages attributed) and won through the rest of the SotC receptions relatively smoothly (barring Xiao because of power null shenanigans). Mostly because Cecil and Mei passives healing you on emotion leveling is a good way to undo mistakes until you get what you need to do in a fight.

Also, if all else fail you can close the game to avoid losing books :v:.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

SITB posted:

Also, if all else fail you can close the game to avoid losing books :v:.

I just became an urban nightmare, and already do this :eng99: I'm kinda scared if the grind is only going to get worse.
I wish this was like Slay the Spire or Monster Train where you can easily reset to the start of a fight at least.

I will say though, urban plague is really where this game clicked for me. In particular, the Wedge office and LoveTown fights are :discourse:

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 25, 2021

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Very lategame spoilers:
Can I quit during the reception of Zena and still have it save my progress? I've been here playing ruina on and off all day for hours and hours and it hasn't been obvious whether it saved or not at any point after picking the options for what to do with the light , and BOY would I like to not do that batch of content again if it hasn't saved.

Also spoilers but phoooooooo boy:

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

A jargogle posted:

Can I quit during the reception of Zena and still have it save my progress?

Yes. Each fight in that sequence is a separate reception, and once you're through the game you can replay them or the story stuff before or after them at will.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In general LoR's characters having plausible ages throws me off for something that looks as anime as LoR, but Argalia being almost 40 keeps cracking me up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TeeQueue posted:

No, as said above. If it helps, you can TOTALLY just solo Phillip using a single Lone Fixer librarian in Xiao's page with a Mind Hauler, it frees things up and makes you only really have to deal with 3 floors of messing around at a time.

That said, the endgame of ProjMoon games do not respect your time. This has been their biggest weakness as a game company so far, and the player revolt that caused them to expand the ending and add more fights to it did not help this.

But hey, they upped the book drop rates! So that's nice.

Yeah, this is a long goddamn process.

Post-SotC: I just managed to clear out the lower floors of the Reverberation, and the two biggest time sinks were just getting that many pages set up instead of having a few standard pages I swapped between teams and tweaked as necessary, and then screwing up repeatedly against Phillip. I think I one-shot all the other fights.I think Greta and Eileen both hit a good balance of challenge—Phillip is a bit too much of a Xiao-check, and Bremen feels like it barely has a gimmick.

While I’m on to harder fights now, I’m at least spreading more good ones across fewer fights. My initial foray into Geb 1v1ing Tanya ended pretty badly, with Geb getting staggered before she could really get rolling, and my first attempt at Oswald ended just short of success, though within reach. Any hot tips I need to keep in mind for these floors?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Geb getting staggered before she could really get rolling

If you're not using it already, the Twelve Fixers passive makes Geb's counter dice significantly more reliable in this encounter; if you're still using Prowess-based builds here I think you should try it out the other way, since Prowess doesn't do anything for counters.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Oswald ended just short of success, though within reach.

Singular strike destroys this encounter. If you really want to meme, try cloning Burning Flash on Bamboo-Hatted Kim's key page; for...some reason, both dice of Burning Flash benefit from Singular Strike. Dangerously cheesy tip: Since Oswald's charm attack is implemented as a very weak page with an On Use effect, breaking the page with any mass attack cancels the mechanic entirely.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Any hot tips I need to keep in mind for these floors?

In general for solo strats, stuff that prevents your murder machine from going down on the first couple emotion levels is really good. Consider taking Yae's anti-stagger passive or Unrelenting so you can survive taking a lot of hits. Also, you can defeat her first Beatdown by using Vertical Split on her other card with your infinite die to destroy the page outright, instead of trying to clash with it and probably failing. Once you manifest EGO and get Shell for stagger immunity you've basically won.

For Oswald in particular I've always just used Nix solo Tiphereth, the fight is very well set up for it. Give her the Grade 1 Fixer's protection passive, haulers and cards which have lots of counter and offensive dice. Then let the clownbowl begin.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Can someone explain to me why you'd want ranged dice? Is it just that you can postpone someone's attacks if they're about to stagger you?

Also is there any advice for (middle floors) the second tiphereth and first Gebura anomalies?
With Tiphereth II, I either go too defensive and can't get to the despair stage, or too aggressive and just burn out.
With Geburah I, it's the same concept. I've gone defensive to survive the aoes, which just ends with the wolf grinding down the mercenary. When I go aggro with burn or paralyze debuffs, I can't get through all the counter dice before getting mulched by AOE.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

IAmThatIs posted:

Can someone explain to me why you'd want ranged dice? Is it just that you can postpone someone's attacks if they're about to stagger you?

Ranged attacks go before melee attacks. All melee attacks, even if they were set on a higher Speed die. This means you can maybe delete some problem cards or even Stagger enemies before they get to clash.

quote:

Also is there any advice for (middle floors) the second tiphereth and first Gebura anomalies?
With Tiphereth II, I either go too defensive and can't get to the despair stage, or too aggressive and just burn out.
With Geburah I, it's the same concept. I've gone defensive to survive the aoes, which just ends with the wolf grinding down the mercenary. When I go aggro with burn or paralyze debuffs, I can't get through all the counter dice before getting mulched by AOE.

Tiphereth II is a good way to showcase the big weakness of ranged attacks, however: pages with big single dice. Think Extreme Edge or similar cards. Outfit everyone with a few of those you counter the ranged attacks and you should do fine. This is because a melee attack die that wins a clash against a ranged attack die gets recycled and can roll again.

Gebura I tends to go a little crazy no matter what you do but there’s no shame coming back to it with better cards. What I remember doing is using a lot of other flavors of debuff, not just Paralyze, but I ended up getting all my librarians and the wolf killed on the same scene (which counts as a win).

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 26, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

IAmThatIs posted:

In addition to going first, ranged dice don't take damage when losing to melee dice, making them a safe way to defuse gigantic enemy counter dice.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

In addition to going first, ranged dice don't take damage when losing to melee dice, making them a safe way to defuse gigantic enemy counter dice.

…I actually didn’t know this. But just counters, right? Since a normal melee attack will just get rerolled?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, exactly.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Thanks for the advice everyone!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

After some thought ranged attacks are also useful for eating up Block and Evade dice, maybe?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not... particularly more so than melee?

The real advantage is speed mattering very little which is why the rrr ranged pages are so laughable

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Still Post SotC: Slapped Yae's page onto Geb and that let her solo Tanya, my second go took Oswald, and while the first attempt at Jae-Heon floundered early, the second managed to take one of his puppets down before it got strings, which made the rest a lot easier to handle. I then went on to easily beat Elena on my first try. Part of that is that Binah just shits on bosses in general, but Elena also just... doesn't really have anything going on? It's an incredibly straightforward fight.

I cancelled my first run at Pluto because I'd brought along Yujin, and didn't feel like fighting the clone deck on a 250 HP body. But it's just him and what looks to be a solo Roland fight standing between me and the end of this section. God but it's a long chunk of game. I've had to attack it over the course of days, and while it's obviously a great story beat, it makes it feel weird for something that's supposed to be this fast, invasive event to take as long as it does.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It’s literally that thing where there are ten fights happening at once but it’s over the entire area and the anime keeps jumping between them every cliffhanger and makes you see every minute of all of them so it lasts for two seasons but in a library.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst part is that most of it isn't really that hard, just slow, because they expected you to make 9 separate teams without reusing key pages so you just have like Eileen, Elena, Jae-Heon, Tanya, Bremen, Philip and Greta that are all basically freebies with only Oswald and Pluto being all that involved.

I feel like the game really could've used difficulty settings, especially considering it's so different from Lob Corp.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

They changed that awhile ago, you get to reuse pages after each layer (Asiya, Briah, Aziluth) now.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Varinn posted:

They changed that awhile ago, you get to reuse pages after each layer (Asiya, Briah, Aziluth) now.

That's why expected had the past tense :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Still in the endgame, jfc: After a few tries, Pluto went down, because I finally decided not to play into his gimmick and just light him on infinite fire instead. And Argalia was pretty much a chump after just a little light keypage manipulation. The Reverberation Ensemble, complete!

And now... Roland. Now, I'll admit that I went in half-cocked. I just assembled a Gebura team and threw that at Roland, because the fight looks straightforward enough. Gebura goes down because I'm playing loose, but Xiao and Phillip carry the day. And... oh, there's a second phase. It's big and scary, and I assume it's whatever the smoke stuff was about, but it's also super vulnerable to stagger, that's not hard to carve through. And now... oh, great, phase 3, with two basically damage-immune enemies throwing out huge combo attacks, with a gimmick I can't seem to figure out with Dark/Ashen Presence. Welp.

Is there anything I should know about that, or is it just "Gear up Binah's floor as well and crumple them with Fairy". Is there going to be still another phase after that?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Gebura's floor can finish that fight without any other ones, you really should keep her alive since she's basically the entire gimmick of the floor and if you lose her that early you might as well just restart. For the third part the important thing is to redirect the counter dice so they dont' give buffs to each other. And yes, there is one more phase to the fight .

They're not damage immune, I think they just have a lot of endured resistances; but at that point you should have so much power from emotion level you can just turbomurder them. smoke monster is basically free just press the mass attack page button

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 28, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Phase 3’s gimmick involves redirecting counters to avoid bidding each other, and also getting the status effect from one of them and then clashing with the other to lower the link counter they have since they’re basically invincible til it wears off.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

Phase 3’s gimmick involves redirecting counters to avoid bidding each other, and also getting the status effect from one of them and then clashing with the other to lower the link counter they have since they’re basically invincible til it wears off.

"Invincible? We will see about that!"

*stacks 10 strength on Geburah per turn*

But yeah, as TeeQueue said the gimmick is about reducing the soul link by targeting the counter dice and beating the other's specific page, and making sure that neither of them target the same person with their active pages since a lot of them have "if targets same character as Angelica/Roland transfer all dice on this page to Angelica/Roland".

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never figured out how it worked, because it talked about 'ashen presence' and 'dark presence' but neither ever seemed to appear.

At least they fixed the bug where every die used Frenzy, now THAT was brutal. :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I never figured out how it worked, because it talked about 'ashen presence' and 'dark presence' but neither ever seemed to appear.

At least they fixed the bug where every die used Frenzy, now THAT was brutal. :v:

They only appear mid-turn, if you're playing in Quick Mode then they'll never seem to show up.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah, you have a single character use one high speed dice to get the status, and a lower speed dice to clash against the other one in the same turn.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
not sure if it's relevant to the thread/its denizens, but project moon has announced that they're ending serialization of the distortion detective webnovel...because they'll be making it into a game later on!

the announcement is here: https://projectmoon.postype.com/post/10388125

"Hello. I am Kim Jihoon from PM.

I am writing this to inform you about the serialization of Distortion Detective.

We would like to develop the story of Distortion Detective as a game on the scale of a company project later. Distortion Detective was initially written solely for the purpose of writing down the worldview in a light atmosphere and to practice writing.

However, it was loved by more people than expected, and I came to think that it should be approached as a standalone project and company's contents. So, I felt like I shouldn't be writing Distortion Detective by myself with a light mind like before.

And now, everyone in the company, including myself, is in the process of developing, planning, and writing the next work, Limbus Company.

I'm really sorry, but I'm going to stop the serialization of the novel Distortion Detective. However, after completing the current project (LC-B) properly, we plan to develop Distortion Detective as a work in the form of an individual game, with content created with the participation of the entire team.

All the stories of the characters appearing in Distortion Detective will be released later with a more robust design, and the company's personnel will contribute to present a more complete Distortion Detective than now.

Sorry and thank you."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't know how it'd work as a game but sure alright PM.

Kinda wish I could get my hands on the physical version they sold at their cafe, has nice art they commissioned from a fan.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
considering how they've been genre-hopping, i think they could find something that would make the story work in game format. regardless, i'll definitely end up buying it (and, of course, limbus company) upon release because i think moses is very cool and i would like to see more of her. :shobon:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Distortion Detective: Pheonix Wright but Judgement Bird is the Judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Project Moon will not rest until they’ve made every genre of game, will they. :negative: