Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Lol this is the rabidly anti-Corbyn girl who had to withdraw from standing as young labour chair after posts emerged of her saying she thought the nazis were hot.

Ah, that's why the chairman of Labour Against Antisemitism is supporting her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not in Russia they weren't

And that's how we won the war.

:poppies: :unionjacks: :flags:

(Can we make new smilies?)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You can pay $25 to have a custom emote added to the forums.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lord Ludikrous posted:

You would think though upon approaching a ford with a high water level, a crowd of people watching and filming, and ducks swimming around, that might be a clue that you should find another way around.

Also the signs before the ford saying ROAD CLOSED might be deciphered as a sort of clue

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

You can pay $25 to have a custom emote added to the forums.
but we already have :boonie::britain::wankah: which are close enough

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Lol this is the rabidly anti-Corbyn girl who had to withdraw from standing as young labour chair after posts emerged of her saying she thought the nazis were hot.

Wow, I missed that story when it happened. Pretty sus bio.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Corbyn is a scruffy antisemite" *5 seconds later* "We don't know whether Rommel was an antisemite or not but he had great fashion sense."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Original: :marc:

UKMT Version:

https://twitter.com/NewsForAllUK/status/1415426340715700224

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's him, he is the spiritus mundi, the rough beast whose hour is come round at last.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I can never find them when I'm looking for them though!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

How do we get him?
Do I have to promise to pay the bearer $25 or something? (Can't do it at the mo!)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

:boonie: is an Australian

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
literally David Boon

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A bit of gymnastics came on when I was eating my lunch and it's kind of a.azing to watch the absurd height and flips on these tumbles. But I can't help but feel these girls knees are going to be absolutely ruined by the time they are 25.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

A bit of gymnastics came on when I was eating my lunch and it's kind of a.azing to watch the absurd height and flips on these tumbles. But I can't help but feel these girls knees are going to be absolutely ruined by the time they are 25.

Whenever I watch the diving I worry that they're going to hit their head on the board when they're doing their absurdly fast spins. Why do they do their flippy flips inches away from it? Get some distance you maniacs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The dressage has come on now. God this is actually even worse than I remember. What twat came up with this "sport" and why didn't they meet a guillotine?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if stripping ever becomes an Olympic sport will they call it undressage

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

forkboy84 posted:

The dressage has come on now. God this is actually even worse than I remember. What twat came up with this "sport" and why didn't they meet a guillotine?

At least they haven't made in hand showing an Olympic event. (One of my riding instructors keeps trying to get me to give dressage a go, but I know I'm not precise enough, or have enough body and horse awareness for it. - I've been riding continuously for 8 years now and I'll still be on the wrong diagonal or canter lead at times).

Unlike the jumping and cross country which is easy (and fun) for non-horsey people to follow (fence and horse still up, rider on board? They're doing well) dressage is really technical.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Road chat - I hate it when the same slip road is used for vehicles both joining and leaving a motorway.

Also, I miss my motorcycle, but I can't justify buying a new one ATM, because I'm worried something nice will be nicked again, old ninjas and ZZRs are getting harder to find in decent nick, and I need to be ready to buy horse if local riding school is forced to totally close

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I just saw this and feel that you all should too. If like me, you're of a certain age, you'll remember a lot of these 'adverts' for not dying. Doesn't require sound, but it is strongly implied that you should.

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1419954481236688910

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

loving hell I had nightmares for years about kite boy with all fire going round him. My grandma offered to buy me a kite on holiday once and I yelled “NO GRANDMA PLEASE!” and ran out the shop.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
all you people complaining about slip roads and weird junctions have clearly never encountered the horror of Coventry's ring road

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

frankenbeans posted:

I just saw this and feel that you all should too. If like me, you're of a certain age, you'll remember a lot of these 'adverts' for not dying. Doesn't require sound, but it is strongly implied that you should.

I remember for a while in the early 90s, when I was about 10 I'd wake up before 5am and watch the early morning news on ITV which felt like it covered more varied news than the prime time broadcasts: vividly remember the Siege of Sarajevo. Anyway, there'd always be loving public service ads and they'd always be horrifying, like one about a kid drinking bleach stored in a soda bottle or houses burning down coz someone fell asleep with a cigarette lit. Nightmare fodder for sure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I know I'm not precise enough, or have enough body and horse awareness for it.

I have extremely acute horse awareness, which allows me to avoid horses at all times

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

From childhood i always remembered "Don't forget to unplug your television before going to bed"..... nowadays it's close to a sodding OCD ritual thing for me and i have to force myself to leave the router & computer on.

The fridge is strangely exempt from this compulsion (i assume my subconscious doesn't want to deal with the inevitable food poisoning).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oddly enough of all the modern electrical appliances that are likely to kill you in your sleep...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

frankenbeans posted:

lol I thought this was a familiar account

Well worth picking a copy up if you're of an age. Cost me maybe twenty quid but it's over 700 pages of dense small print info, you get your money's worth for reading material. I've been meaning to pick up Vol 2 of the 80s stuff they put out, guess this is my reminder.

edit: oh nice on a tweet below that one, 15 % off the Lulu books with the code PURCHASE15

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sanford posted:

loving hell I had nightmares for years about kite boy with all fire going round him. My grandma offered to buy me a kite on holiday once and I yelled “NO GRANDMA PLEASE!” and ran out the shop.

There was one that started with a teacher being asked if electricity could hurt you, and they looked directly into the camera and said "No... Electricity can kill you" before transitioning into the death clip. In my head it was incredibly dramatic and lightning bolts streaked across the screen. Scared the poo poo out of me.

I think it was the one with the football stuck on the pylon but I can't find the framing device bit on YouTube.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I really feel for folks who have to drive in traffic - I will always make driving plans past 6pm if possible, I would hate to have to commute in a car and it would take like a wage doubling for me to give up my 20min walk to work. I was stuck in a stop-go jam for about 80mins just once recently on the A1 past the Metrocenter / Team Valley, about the only time I ever thought Yeah those folks with automatics, maybe they're on to something; Also one of these rolled past slowly in the opposite lane direction and I thought Oh big mood

It blows but it’s one of those things where if you have to you just get on and do it. With that in mind, heavy traffic and urban driving are so much more tolerable with an automatic - and having to cross the Dartford Crossing daily certainly had an influence on me making the switch.

The issue I find with heavy traffic isn’t so much the tedium and long travel times, it’s when idiots get impatient, do something stupid, cause an accident and make an already crap situation much worse.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Only one of these I can remember seeing at school was where a bunch of kids were having a day out on a farm, and I think by the end of the day most of of them were dead. I think one girl fell in a slurry pit, and another boy suffocated cos he ended up in a grain store?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Perfect Element posted:

Only one of these I can remember seeing at school was where a bunch of kids were having a day out on a farm, and I think by the end of the day most of of them were dead. I think one girl fell in a slurry pit, and another boy suffocated cos he ended up in a grain store?

Ooo that would be Apaches. If memory serves:

Crushed by a tractor.
Drowns in a slurry pit.
Ingests weed killer.
Crushed by a falling metal gate.
Drives a tractor off a cliff.

Hard to decide which is the worst between drowning in poo poo or the girl screaming bloody murder in the night while the weed killer melts her insides.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Ooo that would be Apaches. If memory serves:

Crushed by a tractor.
Drowns in a slurry pit.
Ingests weed killer.
Crushed by a falling metal gate.
Drives a tractor off a cliff.

Hard to decide which is the worst between drowning in poo poo or the girl screaming bloody murder in the night while the weed killer melts her insides.

Christ, it's like Animals of Farthing Wood just with kids.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Red Oktober posted:

Christ, it's like Animals of Farthing Wood just with kids.

There was a part in the original book series where a wild cat called The Beast is killing the animals, it was left out of the cartoons because it was too much like horror.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

frankenbeans posted:

After a weekend of people drowning in lochs and rivers they should totally bring back the horrifying public safety adverts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This is the scariest PSA i've ever seen. I think the first time i saw it i just wanted to die right there and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOk2Akqb3CI

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

keep punching joe posted:

After a weekend of people drowning in lochs and rivers they should totally bring back the horrifying public safety adverts.

A friend posted a photo of the Bolton Strid recently, mentioning how deadly it was. Like a fool I looked it up because, well, it looks quite pleasant in a photo and dear god now I don't want to go anywhere near it just in case I somehow lose my footing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is the scariest PSA i've ever seen. I think the first time i saw it i just wanted to die right there and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOk2Akqb3CI

LOL loving hell. Was this shown specifically to kitchen workers... Or is slipping on grease such a common occurrence in Canada that this was broadcast on national TV?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only one I can remember vividly from being a kid was a guy drinking from a glass milk bottle, leaving it on a wall where a child with a stick was running it along some railings, eventually knocking the bottle down and ???

Not really sure what particular danger that one was promoting because “don’t leave glass bottles where children might wave sticks” is really specific.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember a lot more broken glass around when I was small.

Plastic bottles aren't great, cans are much better, but for all the bottle deposits in the world you're still going to get some glass bottles broken if they're what people are drinking in public.

Plus nothing stops you doing bottle deposit on cans, which is the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I remember a lot more broken glass around when I was small.

Plastic bottles aren't great, cans are much better, but for all the bottle deposits in the world you're still going to get some glass bottles broken if they're what people are drinking in public.

Plus nothing stops you doing bottle deposit on cans, which is the best solution.

I'm now imagining cans of milk, ranging from coke-can up to Australian beer from the Simpsons for the big ones.

Why not indeed