Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

punishedkissinger posted:

thank you thread. i have a long road ahead of me but ive come a long ways already

forgive the mold lines. i will do better next time. very happy with how my faces are starting to look. also finally starting using colors rather than drab browns and metals.

Those are really great looking eyes. Better than I've ever been able to do.

Broken Record Talk posted:

This wasn’t the product of a CK Studios airbrushing class by any chance, was it? That particular paint job looks incredibly familiar.

Yes I took the class a couple years ago, highly recommend it, I learned so much about airbrushing in those two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bucnasti posted:

praise to the micron pen!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Bucnasti posted:

Yes I took the class a couple years ago, highly recommend it, I learned so much about airbrushing in those two days.

I actually asked because I was involved in setting up the initial class with Caleb and Kat, and your Dread definitely looks like one from that initial class!

I had no idea there were other goons at some of those classes!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SkyeAuroline posted:

If it weren't for reports of Citadel lids popping open on vortex mixers, one of those would be sounding very nice right now, if expensive.

FWIW a vortex mixer typically involves you pushing the thing you wanna mix down on the oscillating nubbin to turn it on. You generally have to have a hand over the bottle you're mixing, which should at least give you some warning if the cap's about to fly off, if not prevent it altogether.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

grassy gnoll posted:

FWIW a vortex mixer typically involves you pushing the thing you wanna mix down on the oscillating nubbin to turn it on. You generally have to have a hand over the bottle you're mixing, which should at least give you some warning if the cap's about to fly off, if not prevent it altogether.

Good to know. Any recommendation for one? I imagine it'd be useful for normal mixing alongside this rescue effort.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Good to know. Any recommendation for one? I imagine it'd be useful for normal mixing alongside this rescue effort.

I have and love this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-0afc299035c7-1
(I didn't buy it from Aliexpress though, as I already live in China)

I can't imagine how people managed to have the top of the citadel paint pots pop off while using it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Broken Record Talk posted:

I actually asked because I was involved in setting up the initial class with Caleb and Kat, and your Dread definitely looks like one from that initial class!

I had no idea there were other goons at some of those classes!

Oh, the one at AZUSA a couple years ago? If so thanks for setting that up.

When the pandemic is over I'd really like to do their more advanced classes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up an angry Black Templar lieutenant of the Death Watch today:

All he's missing is a stogie.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

AndyElusive posted:

drat nice tiny checkerboard and cross.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Sotar talk:
You can fit three different needles in it, a 0.2, 0.45, and a 0.7, so you can absolutely prime with it.
The default cup is small for some, but there is a Sotar that has a larger cup.

I love my Sotar.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I bought the cheapest vortex mixer of aliexpress and do not regret it at all btw. Fantastic investment for like $25 or $30 tops.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Just got LASIK done, now it's going to be a few months before my vision is reliable enough to paint. :sad:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Doing a good ol' crosse poste of my MCP apartment building terrain. Things I learned: Tamiya has some excellent rattle can paints, and no more big terrain pieces until I can have an airbrush setup!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can get a 0.3 needle for the 105 too but for someone just getting into it constantly swapping your needle is probably a recipe for disaster.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

having a sotar and a 105 has been extremely needs-suiting for me, both took like 6 months to arrive but those badger sales are too good to turn down

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dienes posted:

Define 'small batch' for someone who doesn't do a battalion at once. I take it 2-3 28mm or one 120mm figure wouldn't be too much to prime with a SOTAR?

I've primed about 80 skinks in a sitting, was fine.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

AndyElusive posted:

I wanna kiss that face, it is so well done. Great work, jesus.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

drat nice tiny checkerboard and cross.

Squiggle posted:

I wanna kiss that face, it is so well done. Great work, jesus.

Thanks guys!

That mean ol' mug was attempt number 2. It took a isopropyl alcohol bath the first time because I didn't thin my paints well enough.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Alright, this thing officially fuckin owns. Painting metallics by hand is a colossal pain in the rear end, and basecoating the forgefiend with it took maybe an hour total counting cleanup afterword. Now I just need to decide if I'm willing to brave doing a second layer of metallic grey on parts of these. My fine control probably isn't good enough yet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

Doing a good ol' crosse poste of my MCP apartment building terrain. Things I learned: Tamiya has some excellent rattle can paints, and no more big terrain pieces until I can have an airbrush setup!

you are gonna have some rad looking crisis protocol games

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fyrbrand posted:

Did you scratch build that because holy moley it looks straight out of a comic book.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did you scratch build that because holy moley it looks straight out of a comic book.

It's a kit, I'm afraid. Scratch building is definitely not my forte!

That being said, there's some amazing scratch built urban terrain done in this video that I highly recommend.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
For painting transparent plastic minis, do badger ghost tints have a noticeable advantage over vallejo inks in terms of transparency?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Been taking in a lot of content recently after subscribing to all the recommended channels from this thread. Been also studying a bit more on colour theory to enhance my minis, and I think it has paid off. Still lots of work to be done, but this is by far my best mini since starting painting a few weeks ago.

I'm keenly looking at an airbrush, but I think I want to hone my existing abilities before adding a new skill to the mix.

e: imgur seems to not be working for me, I'll try again later

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 27, 2021

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
I’m buying a patriot 105 on the suggestion on the forums. What kind of compressor do people recommend? Don’t paint a ton. So it doesn’t need to be the most rugged

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I just spent a lovely evening painting my first miniature in 22 years because of this thread and I couldn't be happier with what I've learned. Granted it took...like six hours, and I got so excited that I forgot to put a texture on the base before priming, but I'm so goddamn proud of those little skulls.

Washes and highlights tomorrow!

EDIT: I have a circa-2004 model of Typhus the plague marine on my desk that a goon painted for me waaay back in the day, and I look at it all the time and wondered why I don't do that. It's super fun.

Geisladisk posted:

Unit of 20 Grave Guard.

I love these, the color scheme looks great. I'm gonna pick up some fantasy minis soon.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 27, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Squiggle posted:

I just spent a lovely evening painting my first miniature in 22 years because of this thread and I couldn't be happier with what I've learned. Granted it took...like six hours, and I got so excited that I forgot to put a texture on the base before priming, but I'm so goddamn proud of those little skulls.

Washes and highlights tomorrow!

Off to a good start! If its any consolation I only texture before priming about half the time, often deliberately. Like if I already know that the basing for a figure will involve painting sand or similar I'll ideally texture before priming, but if you are using a texture paint or something you dont need to prime that, they take washes/paint absolutely fine if you want to change the colour. Theres more than a few figures where I primed it long before I knew what base cover I'd be using so ended up painting over unprimed sand, its not the end of the world. Obviously if you are using flock you generally dont want to prime over that...

PotatoManJack posted:

Seeing the Badger sale and seeing airbrushes used to great effect in more and more videos makes me want to start looking into getting one. I see that there's a lot of information on different companies and models out there, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the beginner "Airbrush + Compressor" all in one unit that charges with a USB plug. You seem to be able to pick them up for $60-$80 on Amazon, and it looked like a good way to get a beginner airbrush without laying out a lot of money.

I know with these things you get what you pay for, but as I'm already low on space and don't have a lot of technical know how, I could skip the whole separate compressor and hoses part of the equation.

Any information on these models would be much appreciated.

Odd co-incidence, but I just picked up one of those things. I'm not expecting much, I'm more looking on this as a way of finding out if I enjoy using an airbrush/like the effect enough to spend the time/money/storage space to get a proper one. It arrived today, I may not use it for a while, but I'll report back when I do. Mine was I think about 40 quid.

On that note, does anyone have a favourite "Getting started with airbrushing for complete bozos, seriously absolute clowns who cant be trusted not to hurt themselves and break something" video they'd recommend? The less performative youtube bullshit the better, but if the info is good enough I'll put up with a medium amount of Z-level "comedy" skits at the beginning and end.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I order a couple airbrushes from that badger sale. I don't know why I assumed the shipping was included (my bad, I'm sure) but i got a message after purchasing saying they'd send me a message to confirm my shipping type and pay for it. Weird system. I guess they're going to send an email eventually?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I’m buying a patriot 105 on the suggestion on the forums. What kind of compressor do people recommend? Don’t paint a ton. So it doesn’t need to be the most rugged

I bought this thing for $100 two years ago and it has held up wonderfully with weekly use.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Here's the thing about compressors.
They're all made in China, by the same companies in the same factories and then rebranded for specific retailers.
So any brand is going to be the same as any other brand.
The TC-40T is what most people recommend (it's what I've had for 4 years) but they've gotten more expensive lately, so if you can find a comparable one at a lower price then it will be just as good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I bought this thing for $100 two years ago and it has held up wonderfully with weekly use.

Look for one of these things or anything with the model number AS186 (same thing). Usually runs a little under $100 but they are all the same thing. First one I got had a leaky connection so I sent it back and got another from the same company and it works fine.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
My lil' non traditional skeleton horde is coming along, and I feel like I'm improving here and there. It's not quite what I set out to do originally but it works and it's within my skill level, so that's pretty nice.

I even repainted over the first one. Not perfect, but he fits much better now

Starting to look like a coherent army too

Somewhere along the line hit on the idea of using Hexwraith Flame technical paint mixed ~1:1 with Temple Guard Blue for verdigris and it looks pretty nice to my untrained eye.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 27, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

My lil' non traditional skeleton horde is coming along, and I feel like I'm improving here and there. It's not quite what I set out to do originally but it works and it's within my skill level, so that's pretty nice.

I even repainted over the first one. Not perfect, but he fits much better now

Somewhere along the line hit on the idea of using Hexwraith Flame technical paint mixed ~1:1 with Temple Guard Blue for verdigris and it looks pretty nice to my untrained eye.

i am really digging these colors. excellent work!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks!

Egads my boney boys are dusty

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah drat, I really love that cool color scheme. Very nice work!

EDIT: He turned out so good! Thanks for the advice about basing, I've got some mud+grass environment paint I'm going to try painting on and see what the outcome looks like.

This was supposed to be the gently caress-around, figure-out-how-to-do-this test model that I was prepared to just toss, but now I'm invested in it!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 27, 2021

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Experimenting with brushing on two colors to the same bit, worked out decently.

Started getting some major dry tip, though. Not sure what I started doing wrong, my first session to basecoat the fiend in gold was basically flawless, then the next two I ended up having to start wiping the excess gunk off the needle every 30 seconds of spraying. Even started using the flow improver that just showed up, to no discernible change.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hello there.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Odd co-incidence, but I just picked up one of those things. I'm not expecting much, I'm more looking on this as a way of finding out if I enjoy using an airbrush/like the effect enough to spend the time/money/storage space to get a proper one. It arrived today, I may not use it for a while, but I'll report back when I do. Mine was I think about 40 quid.

On that note, does anyone have a favourite "Getting started with airbrushing for complete bozos, seriously absolute clowns who cant be trusted not to hurt themselves and break something" video they'd recommend? The less performative youtube bullshit the better, but if the info is good enough I'll put up with a medium amount of Z-level "comedy" skits at the beginning and end.

Let me know how it goes, would be keen to get a feel on how they work as baby's first airbrush. There's also kits out there I've seen that go for around $100 that have a compressor, airbrush, and hose all in one package.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SiKboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmvKgLTRFcs

Squidmar's beginner airbrush video basically taught me all I need to know to not gently caress things up horribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What would be the best way of going about painting an approximation of the moonlight sword from bloodborne? Talking warham scale. I assumed I'd be able to find someone doing a tutorial of something similar but no dice.