Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

poo poo looks embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah it looks bad. Like real bad. What the gently caress is that poo poo?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It looks like an Asylum knockoff of Alita

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Guess its a good way to get something out cheap.

During the Comic-Con@Home panel, the moderator asked why they went with 3D, especially in light of the original's practical effects legacy and BR2049 going practical on as many of its effects as possible—plus the 2D Black Out short from a few years back. The producer stumbled his way through it with a bullshit answer. The panel was pretty painful overall.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kiimo posted:

It looks like an Asylum knockoff of Alita

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Audrey: Battle Saint

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The book and Netflix show Shadow & Bone has a protagonist who is a soldier, can control light, and is named Alina. Therefore she is Battle Angel Alina.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaG_5ZZ2PyM

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
HEY GUYS

REMEMBER... GOZER??? AND TERROR DOGS?? AND MARSHMALLOW MAN???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ALFbrot posted:

HEY GUYS

REMEMBER... GOZER??? AND TERROR DOGS?? AND MARSHMALLOW MAN???

You know that was all awful and embarrassing and they still managed to outdo it all in the closing seconds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They know it's supposed to be a comedy, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I mean Paul Rudd is right there doing whatever he's doing with those little Marshmallow Men.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think it looks fun. It's probably cool to direct something that your dad started. But yeah I eyerolled at a lot of it, namely revealing the Ecto-1 like it's the Millennium Falcon. The very, very clear Walmart branding was probably the worst part.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

I mean Paul Rudd is right there doing whatever he's doing with those little Marshmallow Men.

That scene's already been shown as a teaser and it's bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe we should stop make remake/sequels

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnEwJKVWjFM

:staredog:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Black Philip prequel looking good

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The only reason I look forward to new movies any more is for the Red Letter Media and Chapo reviews of them

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Ray's Occult Books is canon!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

clown shoes posted:

Ray's Occult Books is canon!

Always was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYEdgr9GoO4

Note that they took great pains to recreate the set all the way down to the crappy neon sign and the red phone on the desk

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Alhazred posted:

They know it's supposed to be a comedy, right?

Yea the vibe they are pushing with these trailers is pure nostalgia, ghostbusters is your treasured past by way of Field of Dreams. The ghostbuster movies are loving funny!!! They should be funny and irreverent but I mean most of the cast of this is like 12 year olds and they arent funny so are they going to depend on paul rudd to hard carry the humor???

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Always was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYEdgr9GoO4

Note that they took great pains to recreate the set all the way down to the crappy neon sign and the red phone on the desk

gat drat, a red phone???? i hope they're paying their "great pains taker" enough

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The only reason I look forward to new movies any more is for the Red Letter Media and Chapo reviews of them

I'm sure they make a pill for that.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jerkface posted:

Yea the vibe they are pushing with these trailers is pure nostalgia, ghostbusters is your treasured past by way of Field of Dreams. The ghostbuster movies are loving funny!!! They should be funny and irreverent but I mean most of the cast of this is like 12 year olds and they arent funny so are they going to depend on paul rudd to hard carry the humor???

I think I might actually be more interested if they take a different tone. I agree that it will be a bad move if they lean hard into the nostalgia, but it might be an even worse move if they go for the same comedic tone and it's just not as funny. See: the last Ghostbuster's move. I think I'd much rather see a significant tone shift like Aliens vs Alien.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

confused posted:

I think I'd much rather see a significant tone shift like Aliens vs Alien.

I think something like this could work but I don't think the tone shift should be "we are nostalgic for the OG ghostbusters". And indeed Aliens is still "scary" even though its not quite as horror/suspense based by Alien.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jerkface posted:

I think something like this could work but I don't think the tone shift should be "we are nostalgic for the OG ghostbusters".

Totally. Jason Reitman is a talented guy who hasn't taken the easy path, so I think it's possible. The nostalgic tone might just be for the trailer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's no point in bringing back literally a sequel to Ghostbusters but for nostalgia. There's so many spiritual sequels to Ghostbusters floating around — big-budget character-driven comedies where a group of sarcastic assholes butt heads with government authorities, fight special effects, and try to keep their business afloat — that if you're so demanding as to specifically want one starring Paul Rudd, you've still already got two Ant-Man movies to choose from, with more on the way.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

God only knows what I'd be without ewe

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't know looks fun and it looks like my kids will enjoy it too so I'm in.

Also loved how some of the CG (especially the lights coming out of the volcano) felt like the older 80s optical effects. That was a nice touch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I don't know looks fun and it looks like my kids will enjoy it too so I'm in.

Gonna pretend this comment is about Lamb

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Gonna pretend this comment is about Lamb

Lol I almost posted a clarification and thought it was funnier without. My 7 year old *would* probably like it actually

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they shoulda just made another ghostbusters video game if they wanted to do this nostalgia route that was good

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I’ll likely be a lone voice in this, but I genuinely adored the 2016 Ghostbusters and still wish we were getting a sequel to that rather than “Nostalgia Mining - The Movie”. I’ll keep an open mind on it though, maybe it’ll be fun on its own terms.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

what makes anyone think that people want to see an animated cartoon Blade Runner? loving stupid. The animated cartoon LOTR Rohirrim movie is gonna look just as dumb I bet.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Ghostbusters might actually have something to say about nostalgia since it’s directed by Jason Reitman. He’s a talented filmmaker who got to watch the originals be made. Not saying it definitely will, but I don’t think it’s fair to right it off quite yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Parkingtigers posted:

I’ll likely be a lone voice in this, but I genuinely adored the 2016 Ghostbusters and still wish we were getting a sequel to that rather than “Nostalgia Mining - The Movie”. I’ll keep an open mind on it though, maybe it’ll be fun on its own terms.

Gonna be hard for a bad comedy that underperformed to get a sequel. It made a lot less than the original film even before you take inflation into account (it made less than a third of the original's haul when you do).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Gonna be hard for a bad comedy that underperformed to get a sequel. It made a lot less than the original film even before you take inflation into account (it made less than a third of the original's haul when you do).

A valid complaint about that film (and there were so many bad faith ones) is that no comedy should have a budget that big. Just ridiculous levels of funding it was never going to make back even before it became ground zero of a culture war.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
New Paul Schrader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvVT1cDiNc

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

this poster is scarier than any Robert Eggers film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

lmao what the gently caress

In typical A24 fashion I expect nothing to be explained and i'm at peace with that.